Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinrman

Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime)

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

:goodposting:

this isn't can't-miss TV. if the concept doesn't grab you, I don't think there's enough there to warrant sitting through 2 slow-developing, slow-paced seasons.

I enjoy it just enough to keep going- we're 6 through the 2nd season.

I love the concept.  I think execution was horrible.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Hide contents

She would have to be to still be alive but then what happened to alternate universe Trade Minister? Can't be 2 of them, can there? That was the one thing about season 2 I was a little sketchy about. How they travel between alternate realities? Has the potential to derail the show IMO.

I had thought trade minister had committed suicide in the alternate universe which is why he could stay there for awhile. Which led me to believe because the sister died earlier in this universe then she could come and see her sister from the alternate universe.

• Like 2

I read that Frank Spotnitz quit during the filming of the second season, which explains a lot. Like the concept of the show, but season 2 never clicked for me.

4 hours ago, beer 30 said:

IMO if you can't get by the premise then don't try to push through a season. The plot line stays pretty steady throughout. There are a few twists along the way but nothing that grabs you by the balls and makes you say OH MY GOD!!!

i tried to fall in love with it. i'm all for concept-conceit programming but this never took hold. i gave it 4-5 episodes in S1 before bailing. life's too short to put up with stuff that is middlin' at best.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Billy Bats said:

Hide contents

I had thought trade minister had committed suicide in the alternate universe which is why he could stay there for awhile. Which led me to believe because the sister died earlier in this universe then she could come and see her sister from the alternate universe.

Makes sense

On 1/3/2017 at 3:33 PM, shuke said:

I love the concept.  I think execution was horrible.  

I loved what I thoight the concept was. The twist turned me off. Not sure if I will try season 2. 

I caught on late to this show and just finished season 2. Love it. Can't wait for season 3.

Does it make me a bad person that Smtih and Kido are my favorite characters? And Abendsen of course because Stephen Root is always awesome.

Frink had the most sympathetic story line, but I just mostly found him annoying.

1 hour ago, PlasmaDogPlasma said:

I caught on late to this show and just finished season 2. Love it. Can't wait for season 3.

Does it make me a bad person that Smtih and Kido are my favorite characters? And Abendsen of course because Stephen Root is always awesome.

Frink had the most sympathetic story line, but I just mostly found him annoying.

The three leads (Julianna, Frank, & Joe) are my least favorite characters in the show. I don't know if it's the acting or the writing or both, but all three bore me to tears. 

• Like 3

On 1/3/2017 at 3:47 PM, Billy Bats said:

Hide contents

That's the way I viewed it.

3 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

The three leads (Julianna, Frank, & Joe) are my least favorite characters in the show. I don't know if it's the acting or the writing or both, but all three bore me to tears. 

Juliana is at least easy on the eyes. The German chick Joe gets with in Berlin is even more so.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

agree. I don't think much of julianna's acting chops, but I do find her real purty. one of my favorite looking actresses out there right now.

25 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

agree. I don't think much of julianna's acting chops, but I do find her real purty. one of my favorite looking actresses out there right now.

She's fine-looking. So are the guys who play Frank & Joe. It's just like there's no substance at all there. Tagomi, Kido, and Smith are fun characters to watch. So are many of those down a level who may only show up now and then, like some of the Resistance guys & girls or the assistants. Hell, even the kid characters are more interesting than that ####### Joe. 

1 minute ago, Uruk-Hai said:

She's fine-looking. So are the guys who play Frank & Joe. It's just like there's no substance at all there. Tagomi, Kido, and Smith are fun characters to watch. So are many of those down a level who may only show up now and then, like some of the Resistance guys & girls or the assistants. Hell, even the kid characters are more interesting than that ####### Joe. 

If the show dropped all the other storylines and just focused on Smith, I'd be totally cool with it. 

• Like 1

Anyone think I should go back and spoiler-code my comments? It seems some folks are still catching up with the show and, while I haven't given away plot points so much, maybe just the overall points of my recent posts could be spoilers.

4 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Anyone think I should go back and spoiler-code my comments? It seems some folks are still catching up with the show and, while I haven't given away plot points so much, maybe just the overall points of my recent posts could be spoilers.

your comments complaining about that trio of actors? no spoiling needed.

I think the lead two japanese guys are fantastic- inspector and trade commissioner. I'd be happy with just them.

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

I think the lead two japanese guys are fantastic- inspector and trade commissioner. I'd be happy with just them.

Agree. I think the acting in this series is top shelf but those two as well as the woman who plays Julia are my favorites.

I still have 3 more episodes to go in season 2 but I give it a :thumbup:

• Like 1

I have only watched a few of these.  It's a pretty good show but I'm having trouble wanting to continue.  Not sure why.  Just not grabbing me

On 10/20/2015 at 8:11 PM, Aerial Assault said:

Why? I wrote a treatment for the same idea (future alternate U.S. defeated by Germany) a long time ago without ever having heard of Dick's book. I never did anything with it either, but take a look at Zombie fiction, for example. There are a lot of similar ideas there, to say the least.

and you both would have been 3rd or 4th on the matter.  

Just finished Season 1 and thought it was pretty good. I knew there would be some kind of Scify angle to it but was still surprised by the last 2 episodes. It actually made it a bit more intriguing to me and am looking forward to the second season. The wife though is out after the alternate universe (I'm guessing) angle. That ruined it for her because she had no idea that there would be Scify involved, I didn't let on to her. :) 

On 2/10/2017 at 2:18 PM, need2know said:

I have only watched a few of these.  It's a pretty good show but I'm having trouble wanting to continue.  Not sure why.  Just not grabbing me

It's interesting but can be slow moving.  I've only made it a few episodes into S2 and lost interest for now.

a bit of a BSG reunion going on here. I am on episode 5 of season 2 and I count 3 alumnus so far. 

On 2/10/2017 at 10:30 AM, El Floppo said:

Oh, no; she can act.  Her change from "playing house," as her character put it, to her decisive actions in the final episodes was awesome.  

I liked the second season, a few surprises, and should be interesting to see where Season 3 goes. 

• Like 1

When I saw this thread bumped I thought maybe season 3 had started and I had missed the news. Bummer that's not the case. I Googled & the good news is that it's currently in production with an expected release later this year. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2017 at 9:35 AM, Buzzbait said:

When I saw this thread bumped I thought maybe season 3 had started and I had missed the news. Bummer that's not the case. I Googled & the good news is that it's currently in production with an expected release later this year. 

I've forgotten who like half the players are.

On 8/3/2017 at 6:35 AM, Buzzbait said:

There's a trailer out for S3.  Looks like maybe March, April release. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Aerial Assault said:

Oh I hope so. I binge watched both seasons a few weeks ago. 

7 minutes ago, Jobber said:

Oh I hope so. I binge watched both seasons a few weeks ago. 

Check out the trailer, both of you (and anyone interested) - pretty awesome. 

Can someone explain how

The death of George had to happen in order for John Smith to be successful. That part is leaving me shuked right now

On 1/22/2018 at 7:41 PM, Aerial Assault said:

11 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

When is season 3?

See above

Wife and I finished season 2 last weekend, thought it was great. Its slow at times, but really picks up in the right places.

So are Frank and the American born Japanese resistance chick dead? I thought they showed the chick in the last episode laid out on stretcher with the rest of the dead, but it may have been someone else. No sign of Frank.

Just now, Buckna said:

Wife and I finished season 2 last weekend, thought it was great. Its slow at times, but really picks up in the right places.

Hide contents

So are Frank and the American born Japanese resistance chick dead? I thought they showed the chick in the last episode laid out on stretcher with the rest of the dead, but it may have been someone else. No sign of Frank.

No way

And why do people think the trade minister

killed himself. [/spoiIer] didnt get that sense at all

Just now, AcerFC said:

No way

I wouldn't think so either, but needs to be a good explanation as to how. I actually like his character despite what others have posted.

1 minute ago, AcerFC said:

And why do people think the trade minister

Hide contents

killed himself. [/spoiIer] didnt get that sense at all

They mentioned he got angry, broke the cup and headed toward the bridge he frequents. I think they assumed he jumped, and probably did as he never returned.

Just now, Jobber said:

They mentioned he got angry, broke the cup and headed toward the bridge he frequents. I think they assumed he jumped, and probably did as he never returned.

I see. Thanks for the explanation. 

44 minutes ago, AcerFC said:

Can someone explain how

Reveal hidden contents

The death of George had to happen in order for John Smith to be successful. That part is leaving me shuked right now

George had wired Juliana's apartment and had the tape of the son admitting he had the genetic disease and that his parents knew and were lying to him. George was going to use that to take down Smith. If that got out Smith would have been arrested and likely executed for hiding his son's disease. At the very least he would have been disgraced. Either way, he wouldn't have been able to piece together the conspiracy and fly to Berlin to stop WW3 from breaking out.

4 minutes ago, Buckna said:

Hide contents

George had wired Juliana's apartment and had the tape of the son admitting he had the genetic disease and that his parents knew and were lying to him. George was going to use that to take down Smith. If that got out Smith would have been arrested and likely executed for hiding his son's disease. At the very least he would have been disgraced. Either way, he wouldn't have been able to piece together the conspiracy and fly to Berlin to stop WW3 from breaking out.

I just watched it though. Smith was already on his way by the time the George scene happened. Maybe I am wrong. I got the premise you summarized, just seemed off in term of timeline. 

Just now, AcerFC said:

I just watched it though. Smith was already on his way by the time the George scene happened. Maybe I am wrong. I got the premise you summarized, just seemed off in term of timeline. 

That might have been a mistake in the editing then, I don't recall exactly the sequence of events there.

I guess we could surmise that Joe or more likely Himmler wouldn't have listened to him once he arrived had the news already gotten out. Himmler in particular was one of the worst Nazi's and one of the men most directly responsible for the Holocaust so that piece of news would have likely have really changed his opinion of Smith.

• Like 1

So I finally got around to watching season 1 of this and I am in the camp that I have no idea what I just saw.

Should I just leave it at that or does season 2 help explain things?

Couple of questions you can put in spoilers if you want.

1.Do they ever talk about how the Axis actually won the war?

2. Do they ever completely overthrow either side or is this whole series just a slow burn of what a resistance would look like?

1 hour ago, pantherclub said:

So I finally got around to watching season 1 of this and I am in the camp that I have no idea what I just saw.

Should I just leave it at that or does season 2 help explain things?

Couple of questions you can put in spoilers if you want.

1.Do they ever talk about how the Axis actually won the war?

Nuclear bomb on SF and Washington DC. They don't go into detail on how they achieved the technology before the US or the events that led to it being deployed. We just get flashbacks on the devastation and cities being leveled.

1 hour ago, pantherclub said:

2. Do they ever completely overthrow either side or is this whole series just a slow burn of what a resistance would look like?

Slow burn

10 minutes ago, Buzzbait said:

Nuclear bomb on SF and Washington DC. They don't go into detail on how they achieved the technology before the US or the events that led to it being deployed. We just get flashbacks on the devastation and cities being leveled.

Slow burn

thanks.  probably will pass on s2 unless you think its worth it

Just now, pantherclub said:

thanks.  probably will pass on s2 unless you think its worth it

I do but I'd take that with a grain of salt. I'm a WWII history buff and fascinated by the alternate reality concept. So while I watched S2 and enjoyed I can't really say I'd recommend for others as I think it's somewhat of an acquired taste.

S1 > S2 if that helps (i.e. if you weren't interested much in S1 you likely won't be with S2).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buzzbait said:

I do but I'd take that with a grain of salt. I'm a WWII history buff and fascinated by the alternate reality concept. So while I watched S2 and enjoyed I can't really say I'd recommend for others as I think it's somewhat of an acquired taste.

S1 > S2 if that helps (i.e. if you weren't interested much in S1 you likely won't be with S2).

I would love to see a series, perhaps this one, that tackles how they conquered the USA.  They mention little things like invading Va Beach and stuff like that.  That would be cool to see from a military standpoint how it worked out.  This idea of a slow burn just doesnt register with me considering there is so much other good things on netflix and prime.  And theres no nudity