What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spencer Ware, possibly the new work horse (3 Viewers)

Shutout said:
Well folks, this is the "Money where your mouth is" moment of the season for Ware owners.  This is the game that you  end him for, have him for, and he must perform for you in.  A great night tonight punches the credentials for all his supporters.  A dud fans the flames for all the people saying he is average.  

It's prove it time, Mr. ware.  Are you up to the challenge?  Are you owners up to the challenge to start Him?  
And West spoils the show ...

Honestly, it's easy to be disappointed in Ware just looking at the box score, but if you watch the game it's clear to see Reid has no creativity. Ware just gets plain Jane hand offs between the tackles. They barely run any counters, toss plays, or  get him some passes out in the flat or down the field a bit. 

Ware doesn't suck, but he isn't a RB1 with the play calling he's receiving. However, he's a high floor RB2...I really wonder who else people have when they talk about sitting him, especially in standard leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a disaster. I was hoping he could at least be a reliable RB2.  And I might have to hold my nose and play him next week (I had a bye).  My other options are Gurley and Martin - pick a turd for RB2!

Honestly, it's easy to be disappointed in Ware just looking at the box score, but if you watch the game it's clear to see Reid has no creativity. Ware just gets plain Jane hand offs between the tackles. They barely run any counters, toss plays, or  get him some passes out in the flat or down the field a bit. 

Ware doesn't suck, but he isn't a RB1 with the play calling he's receiving. However, he's a high floor RB2...I really wonder who else people have when they talk about sitting him, especially in standard leagues.
Yep, think I remember one play that was an outside run, every other play was just a run between the tackles. Don't understand why Reid doesn't use him more in open space plays like screens and tosses, but it's clear that isn't going to change. As much as we want to question Reid, he has his team in 1st place right now in the toughest division in the league so he's obviously doing something right. 

Another crap show performance. Spent too much on Ware in both $ and my time. Totally disappointed in his season from the concussion protocol to the ho hum numbers in good matchups. I guess I can just chalk it all up to Kelce and Hill taking over. Might not have a choice but to start him next week in the playoffs. That game last night sucked rotten eggs after the first half. Glad I went to bed. 

Carr Crab and Cooper owners are licking their wounds tonight too.
I had Carr, Ware and Cooper going and essentially unless Jeremy Hill, Dez Bryant, and Jordan Howard have the most incredible weeks of their lives......I am dead. standard scoring I got barely 15 points out of those 3 combined.

OOOOOOFFF.

Somebody asked why they don't use Sherman more and I'm assuming it's because they take him off the field when hill is in there. 

Ware owner in two leagues, I think at this point it is undeniable that he looks sluggish out there. I know hes not the same type of RB, but BUFF RBs ran all over Oak last week. 

You have to consider benching him at this point if you have other options. If he is in your lineup anything you get is windfall. 

Ware looked tentative in the first half of this game. I think that's part of the reason why Koolaid took him out for West near the goal line after his first carry. You could tell on that drive in the 4th quarter where they fed him the ball a bit he was running harder and hitting the holes more aggressively. I'm not sure what changed.

I don't think it took this game for all of us Ware owners to know what we have. He's going to consistantly get you 5-10 points and if he scores a TD 12-18 most weeks. In re-draft you didn't pay much and in dynasty he's still a guy you have to keep. This is his first full season as the starting RB. He could still be the guy next year.

Wasn't able to watch the game last night but reading the comments half say he looked good and half say he looked bad. Started him over Gurly so still a chance I made the right call.
I dont see how ANYONE could say he looked good last night. Hes looked great in a lot of games this year, last night certainly was not one of them. He looked sluggish. 20 carries for 56 yards vs a bottom 2 run defense? Yikes. Not sure how anyone can spin that.

I dont see how ANYONE could say he looked good last night. Hes looked great in a lot of games this year, last night certainly was not one of them. He looked sluggish. 20 carries for 56 yards vs a bottom 2 run defense? Yikes. Not sure how anyone can spin that.
Me either but I asked in the game thread last night if he was injured and was told he was looking good but hampered by bad play calling/blocking.

ug, I'm glad I am on a bye this week, but my concerns moving forward are worse than I thought before this game.  If he couldn't produce against Oakland, what is he going to do against Tenn and Denver?

Lot of JAG comments and such. I watched the game and it didn't look like he had much room to run.

Think the offensive line has to be part of the problem here. This is reminding me of the Denver Booker vs. O-line problem/blame game but to a lesser degree.

I think it's safe to label Ware a RB2/3.  As a RB2 he is a nice compliment to a solid RB1 in a start two RB league.  As a RB3, you really can't do worse.  As an RB1, you're screwed.

His usage is too dependent on game flow and whatever the hell is going on in Andy Reid's head.  He's not JAG and he's not elite.  Somewhere in between.  He's a solid player who can help you win as a supporting cast member.  You can not build a team around this guy.  We know that now.  

I find his lack of vision disturbing

I think it's safe to label Ware a RB2/3.  As a RB2 he is a nice compliment to a solid RB1 in a start two RB league.  As a RB3, you really can't do worse.  As an RB1, you're screwed.

His usage is too dependent on game flow and whatever the hell is going on in Andy Reid's head.  He's not JAG and he's not elite.  Somewhere in between.  He's a solid player who can help you win as a supporting cast member.  You can not build a team around this guy.  We know that now.  
I like what you said here and I tend to agree. However, I had Ware last year as well and I felt he ran more with a purpose and showed a bit more burst between the tackles getting to the second tier of the defense. Maybe he was trying to prove himself, maybe he's just banged up, I'm not sure but he doesn't look like the same back.

I honestly don't think we can label him just yet. He should get drafted as an RB2 next season but I still think there is RB1 upside there.

I do know that my remote control will never be the same after West vultured him. I just sensed by the way that game was playing out that was his only shot at a plus performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
As many people have said Ware didn't look great last night in what was supposed to be a great matchup.  On a good number of the runs there didnt' seem to be holes opened up by the o-line.  His best games have been when he has been involved in the passing game, and since Hill has been more involved the screens to Ware haven't been. 

The fools gold of the 2016 Ware was setup by the solid promising 2015 Ware. In FF playoffs, he cannot be trusted vs TEN. I just grabbed Coleman and would rather take my chances on Atlanta at home with SF then watch what might be or what might have been. He cost me in one league and in the subscriber contest already.

They don't throw the ball to Ware right now, the play calling is not creative, and the blocking has been generally poor. Fix one of these things and his outlook would change dramatically.

That said, he didn't look good last night and neither did West. So you can say it's a team problem, not just a Ware problem. I hate myself for starting him even though I had few choices about it. He's been a little like Julio this year, either winning you the week with his big games or screwing you with his duds. Very little in between.

Definitely one of his worst games of the year last night.   I feel like he could have been far more productive if Reid tried to integrate him more in the passing game. While I'm not trying to make excuses--I do think priority one for the Raiders D was to stop Ware from gashing them again.   Alex Smith didn't look like a lower class Aaron Rodgers in the first half randomly.  The Raiders were basically daring Smith to beat them--at the expense of stopping Ware--and it backfired in the first half.    Also seemed like there was at least 2-3 5-7 yard runs that Ware had that were negated by ticky tack holding penalties. With that being said--I was lucky enough to have him on bye in two of my playoff leagues this week as my rb2--and will now have a decision to make.  My eyes will be on tampa and new orleans as my other options are doug martin, jacquizz, or hightower.   I might be stuck having to go with Ware. uggh.  

Over the course of the year, Ware has been an RB2 with RB1 upside. That RB1 upside hardly ever materialized. Aside from flashing once or twice, he's regressed to a flex if that, given the bigger likelihood of a substandard fantasy scoring performance. 

If I am lucky to get to the next playoff round, will definitely be looking at "lesser" options with way higher ceilings based on talent, opportunit. match up, etc. Ware just isn't dependable.

As many people have said Ware didn't look great last night in what was supposed to be a great matchup.  On a good number of the runs there didnt' seem to be holes opened up by the o-line.  His best games have been when he has been involved in the passing game, and since Hill has been more involved the screens to Ware haven't been. 
The involvement of Hill in the offense has taken away the screen pass to the RBs that Ware is only going to get on the first two downs since they are bringing in West on passing downs. On the few passes to Ware, Smith hasn't been accurate either. Last week Ware was open on a screen. He had his defender beat easily with no saftey or other defender around, yet Smith missed him for what would have been like a 60 yard td.

It's funny. People say Ware didn't do well against the Raiders and BUF just ran all over OAK so that means Ware sucks. 

Watching both games as a Raider fan, the line play and run play calling between the two games were completely different. 

Maybe he's been secretly turf toe'd all season. Wouldn't be the first NFL case of secret turf toe.
Interesting comment, because this is exactly how he runs... no burst, no shiftiness... just running.

On the other hand I can't believe that KC wouldn't be playing West more if that was the case.

Last night was like watching bad Tecmo Bowl (the original 4-play playbook) and Oakland chose "stuff the run every time"... because they did stuff it every time, but when Smith went downfield it looked like he was throwing against a goal line defense.

He Amy have killed me in one and I have to think long and hard in the two I have him in for next week BUT he did have 20 carries to West's 2 no?

Dont know what to make if this....

Users who are viewing this thread