What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Cameron Brate - Great or Ain't? (1 Viewer)

And now Eifert returns from injury back to training ( I picked him up last week and dropped him ). I feel like it was a good year to wait on TE, there seems to be a lot of options right now and a few of them could be great going forward ROS.
I rolled the dice and dropped Brate for Eifert after news he is practicing today. Not sure I need a TE to beat my opponent this week. 

And now Eifert returns from injury back to training ( I picked him up last week and dropped him ). I feel like it was a good year to wait on TE, there seems to be a lot of options right now and a few of them could be great going forward ROS.
This exact same thing is happening to me.  I can drop brate for eifert.  I don't want 2 tes

Been rolling with Zach Miller and contemplating dropping him for Brate, but might hold off till next week since CHI is playing the banged up GB Defense. 

I view both Miller & Brate ~ the same tier along with Jack Doyle, Eifert (at least this week), and even CJ Fiedorowicz. 

TDs in 3 straight weeks and he's now TE #10 in my PPR dynasty. He's venturing into TE1 territory now. 

Good to see Brate trending up for sure. Also good to see some consistency, and hope it lasts. Been sucking wind at TE all year bouncing between streamers (not that all of you care), and would love to rely on Brate going forward as a plug and forget TE1.

I don't think he is there yet, but he could continue to hit in games depending on matchups. Wonder how getting Doug Martin and a semblance of a running game back affects Brate, positively or negatively.

He's probably going to finish this year as a top 10 TE. Is that something he will continue to do? I picked him up as soon as ASJ got released or whatever and I haven't really had anytime to actually see him play. I have graham at TE in a dynasty league with brate and Fiedorowicz as the backups and I can't decide which I like better. I have recently gotten some interest in brate and the trade would potentially help my chances win this year so I am interested but I also don't want to trade a TE that may be worth starting for the next few years considering the TE position is so hard to predict 

Depends what is being offered.

Jameis clearly trusts him. Sometimes that's all it takes for a TE to be fantasy relevant for a very long time. 

The Buccaneers passing game has “everything you’d want”

Excerpt:

Mostly, Cosell is really impressed with the Bucs’ potential passing game.

“Talking about dimensions, this team has everything you’d want from a receiving standpoint. This is quote the group. And everybody’s now forgetting about Cameron Brate because of O.J. Howard, but Cameron Brate is a pretty darn good player.”

The Bucs want to run a lot of two-tight-end sets this year, so Brate and Howard will be on the field together a lot.

But what Cosell said about dimensions is really true: Mike Evansis the massive guy with speed who can make some amazing catches. DeSean Jackson is one of the fastest receivers in the NFL. Adam Humphries gives them a shifty slot guy, Brate a receiving tight end who’s perfect for finding space in zone defenses, and Howard an all-around right end who can threaten the deep middle of the field. Plus, the Bucs have several good receiving backs.

Pewter Report suggests Cameron Brate may keep his first-team role over rookie O.J. Howard to begin the season.

Jameis Winston developed an on-field rapport with Brate last season, and it has carried over into OTAs. Pewter Report says Brate and Winston's "chemistry is going to be tough to dethrone," and "it might be more difficult than we thought to see (Howard) as a solidified first-team player" due to Winston and Brate's connection. As rookie tight ends tend to struggle for box-score production, Brate scoring more 2017 fantasy points than Howard would not surprise.

Related: O.J. Howard

Source: Pewter Report

Jun 10 - 1:28 AM

Surprise! A rookie tight end might not dominate in year 1, because they never do. Brate could still be a top 8 TE this year, even with Howard on the team.

They aren't really in a competition for the same position, so I don't know why anyone would think OJ is taking Brate's "first team role."  Howard is a "Y" tight end.  Brate is an "F" tight end.  They're going to be on the field together a lot.  Think Gronk/Hernandez. 

Who likes Brate tonight?
I waited ridiculously late to grab TEs in one league and wasn't sure about Brate with OJ in town (figuratively and literally speaking now after his parole). He's now my #1 with Engram sitting on the bench. Great matchup and well worth starting since I think NE will always key in on the main weapon (Evans) this week.

It's not about his abilities.  He's very average.  It's about opportunity and system.  He's got a qb who loves throwing to the te. A te-friendly system.  And now with no vjax he's solidified as the #2 target for Winston after Evans.  He's got a plus matchup this week so smoke if you got em.  
I would say he's better than average. He just didn't have the draft pedigree. He averages a TD every 10 targets which is pretty sick. 

Breaking it down:

Winston has a QB rating of 149.7 when he throws to Brate.  That is #3 in the league.

Out of 99 total season snaps Brate has ran 65 routes - 66%

Out of 122 total season snaps Howard has ran 44 routes - 36%

2017 Red Zone target total:

Evans - 4

Brate - 3

Howard - 0

2016 Red Zone target total:

Evans - 19

Brate - 17

TB is running a ton of two TE sets in 2017.  Howard is being used primarily as a blocker.  Brate is being used primarily as a pass catching TE.  When TB is in the Red Zone the preferred targets are Evans followed by Brate.  It's been that way for over a year if you look at the metrics.  Further analyzing, Brate also lines up in the slot and Y position (the farthest out to the right).  They are using him as the main pass catching TE and 3rd WR.  Brate's route tree expands further than most TEs in the league except Gronk, Kelce, Walker, Ertz and Clay.

Chung played tough defense tonight and Brate did drop a contested TD but Winston went back to him time and time again.  He redeemed himself.  9 targets for 5 and 68 yards TD.  That's three games in a row with a TD.  Top 5 TE ros.  OJ looked lost tonight but he is the distant future.  Grats to those who picked up Brate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chung played tough defense tonight and Brate did drop a contested TD but Winston went back to him time and time again.  He redeemed himself.  That's three games in a row with a TD.  Top 5 TE ros.  OJ looked lost tonight but he is the distant future.  Grats to those who picked up Brate.
Another fact: I think Brate now has 9 TDs in his last 11-12 games.

He just gets TDs, and in a game where Belichek game-planned to take away Mike Evans, Brate got peppered with targets short, long, and in the Red Zone.

Another fact: I think Brate now has 9 TDs in his last 11-12 games.

He just gets TDs, and it a game where Belichek game-planned to take away Mike Evans, Brate got peppered with targets short, long, and in the Red Zone.
That TD he caught was also vs two defenders.  What a catch.  It was a much tougher catch than the one he dropped.  Winston loves Brate in the red zone.  And that's what you want.

After not spending a pick on a TE till the 11th (Brate), taking Jared Cook as Mr. Irrelevant and adding Engram in place of Cook, I'm pretty sure I'm ignoring TEs in the near future again.

ETA: I'm rolling with Brate till the wheels come off now. Choo chooooooooooooo

Options options options at TE. Brate continues to steam roll onward. He's involved in the game plan, he's looks like he's the first choice for a red zone look along with Evans, and he comes away with TD's. I don't see where the wheels will come off baring an injury? What's not to like? Well, he did drop a couple much easier balls against NE. I didn't like seeing that. His consistency and TD production has moved him up as a TE #3 moving forward with Rudolph and Ertz right behind him in a TD heavy league and TE #6 in standard scoring moving forward.

Crossroads decision time for us, and I am not asking you. ROS Jimmy Graham or Cameron Brate? Play Brate or Sefarians-Jenkins today? Rational - Brate go 4 straight games with a TD, Sefarian-Jenkins continue his comeback and another score against NE? TE's sometimes tip the scale in the W-L column. Futz is on the Brate train. 

Brate just seems to be in the mix more consistently? Brate a top TE #1?

I’m ecstatic with his production considering he was one of the last TEs drafted in both my leagues. I took Brate/Clay in both. Clay went down I added ASJ in both. 

This week due to BYE & injury I’m running out both TEs in both leagues, with Brate as my flex.

Watching the Bucs, two games in a row the offense sputtered & only really got going when they got Brate involved late. I’m hoping someone on the Bucs noticed that and they’ll get him involved much earlier from here forward.  He’s a chain mover and a big RZ target. DJax was a good add for them, but in the RZ it’s all Brate & Evans, and Evans is the one defenses will key on every time. 

The Brate/ASJ combo worked well last week, running it out there again with Cameron Brate @ Arizona and Austin Seferian-Jenkins vs New England.

The Brate/ASJ combo worked well last week, running it out there again with Cameron Brate @ Arizona and Austin Seferian-Jenkins vs New England.
Well, I could do the same. Playing Brate in one league, and have a choice between Brate and Sefarian-Jenkins in the other with Graham on a bye. All in on Brate or play ASJ in the other...decisions, decisions, decisions...

Cameron Brate desperately needs Jameis Winston back. Brate's last 3 weeks...

1-4/9

1-3/10

1-3/12

Went from TE1 to borderline droppable. Winston is supposed to come back next week though.

Just dropped Brate for C.J. Fiedorowicz (Brate was on bench and CJ's game is on Monday Night so he was a FA). At least I know Savage is going to target his TEs.

The Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud reports Jameis Winston is expected to take all the first-team reps at Wednesday's practice and start Week 13 against the Packers.

Winston has missed the past three games but is on track to return for the final month of the season. It's bad timing for him to come back after losing starting C Ali Marpet and RT Demar Dotson to season-ending knee injuries last week. Winston will be a borderline QB1/2 at Lambeau Field Sunday.
Brate's connection with Jameis is well-known: he was a TE1 with Winston at the helm and became largely droppable under Fitzpatrick. With Jameis back and playing in GB does Brate become worth a play? I'm going to check snap counts to further analyze the situation.

Cameron Brate played 25-of-71 (35 percent) snaps Week 14 against the Lions.

Lost in his two-touchdown resurgence last week was Brate playing just 42 percent of the snaps, and he dipped even lower this week. Brate has now been out-snapped by O.J. Howard 111-to-57 the last two games and has been targeted one fewer time. This is a situation to avoid in the fantasy semifinals.
This is the first time all year his snap count dropped below 40%. I didn't mind OJ Howard taking most of the TE reps because Brate was used heavy in the slot earlier in the year, but with the emergence of Godwin/Humphries he's not even lining up in the slot as much now. Even with Winston he's largely unplayable now as a boom-or-bust TE2.

I am not happy about Buccs' latest move.  I thought they should sign a blocking TE and continue to develop Howard as complete TE. Quite simply, Brate is their big slot receiver and doesn't do blocking. 
Howard is the epitome of an complete TE.  You're spot on about Brate.  His value is as Jameis' security blanket and a major red zone threat.

OJ to the IR and Winston back in. Immediately scores a TD. Does he go back into TE1 territory?

If you mean is he in the top 12 of TEs in a terrible season (I've already lost OJ Howard and now Jack Doyle), then yes.

Trying to gauge target share and trajectory, as well as his utilization.

I look at his 4 targets netting 3/26/1 versus Rudolph, the guy I dropped from Brate, who had 7 targets for 7/63/0 TD.

Is the TE position one that TB and specifically Winston uses a lot, and if so, how does that compare to NFL mean for TEs?

Love that he immediately scored a TD, but truth be told, his usage and overall targets and yardage is pretty damned poor. If it wasn't for this TD, it would be a complete wasted of a start.

Like the title of this thread states -- Is Brate a guy we can see meaningfully contribute (have a solid baseline of 5+ targets with meaningful on field usage in terms of snaps, be a consistent RZ target, etc.) or is he just another boom/bust, lick-your-finger-stick-it-in-the-air-see-if-the-wind-is-blowing kinda guy who is eventually more of an anchor than a lift for fantasy squads down the stretch?

It's hard to judge given the QB flip flopping, etc but the TE position combined has been averaging 5-7 (rough math) targets a game. I would still consider him very TD dependent but he is a favorite of Winston in the red zone.

He seems TD or bust. Considering going with McDonald or Ian Thomas this week. The former has a higher floor and the Steelers will be passing and the lattter is getting a ton of looks. 

Users who are viewing this thread