What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I need help losing weight and getting back in shape (2 Viewers)

parasaurolophus said:
Make it so your life isn't a rat race and it actually becomes quite easy to eat extremely healthy.
I'd love to be in a position to not work 50-60hrs/week (I mean, doesn't everyone?). Fact is, even with being pretty busy there are somethings that are quick, easy, and can be healthy. My grill gets a lot of use for just that reason.

Todem said:
45 years old

5'10'

187 pounds.

34 waste

I feel really good.

The highest I let myself get was 215 LBS and that was 5 years ago. In high school I was 175 pounds at my peak of physical fitness and playing baseball and tennis year round.
Almost exactly me at my highest and current. Goal is 169 (i.e. dip under 170) by summer. Sick of getting left in the middle of a hill by 140lb sticks with legs. That and getting to the top of Mt. Evans this summer will be much easier at 170 than 190.
What is your frame size though. I am a large framed guy. So ultimately I want to get down to 180....but that's tough as I do like to indulge in some foods that won't let me. LOL. I do like to eat.

Fruit like raspberries, blueberries, strawberries are so healthy for your immune system. Grapefruit very healthy. Apples, very healthy.

The more color in your diet (Fruits and Veggies) the better your health will be.

Lot's of greens is also vital.

Fact.

It's not rocket science.

When you see that Popeye's chicken commercials.....all brown. makes me sick actually. That is in a nutshell why our country is obesity issue keep s getting worse by the year. Fast food will kill you if that is a big part of your diet. And for many Americans it is.

Do I like fast food sometimes? Of course. Make the best choices you can when you have it.

Everything in moderation. But after you reach your goals. During your cleansing.....you must outlaw, ban all fast food and fried garbage. Otherwise you will never change your body, lose the weight you want and feel healthy. And I am a broken record on this.....but if you commit to working out 30 minutes a day (especially if you can carve out 30 minutes in the morning for you...you must make time for you) you will feel a transformation and you will want to eat better.

Trust me.
Might want to think about those "good old cheerios".

:D
I have heard...I know I know....LOL.

parasaurolophus said:
I am 100% convinced that the secret to losing weight has everything to do with time management.

Make it so your life isn't a rat race and it actually becomes quite easy to eat extremely healthy. Cooking takes a pretty long time if you want to really keep a lot of variety and healthy options. Nothing wrong with it taking time. It is a great family activity.

We make fun meals all the time that are quite intricate and extremely healthy and taste awesome. The calorie counts are extremely low and they are very filling. It takes a long time though.

ETA another nice advantage of making meals like this is that you are active and on your feet. Between the stove, the grill, and the oven and the chopping island(routinely use all of them in a meal), I get in a heck of a lot of steps and can even get a sweat going.
Regarding time management, I went to the gym at 5:30 this morning, I usually never go this early, it was odd once I was there it was like the time didn't matter, perhaps this is a good choice for gussy. Get up early, go to the gym, get it out of the way so there is no excuse later in the day to not go to the gym. Then you have to go to bed earlier to get up earlier, so there is less time for late night drinking. Win win.
In the summer time Ii have no problem getting up at 530 or so for the gym. In the winter time when it is pitch black, I struggle to get out of bed by 6-630 which really rushes my workout. I hate daylight savings.

Today is Day 2.

I ate some nonessential sugar today, and the scary thing was I didn't even realize what I was doing at first. Walk into the office, there are folks gathered around our admin's desk, so I walk over and grab something sweet, just chatting with co-workers. It took me a moment to think, WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU'RE NOT DOING THIS ANY LONGER PUT IT DOWN PUT IT DOWN. Mornings are not good to me mentally, and it's evident that I have some terrible habits that need to be broken yet again.

So that's how I had part of a cookie. Threw the rest in the wastebin, scout's honor!

Yeesh... back to the plan.

No oatmeal. I figure the couple bites of cookie were more calories than the whole bowl of oatmeal, and it left me hungrier until lunch than yesterday.

All water today, not even coffee, as some form of discipline for the day two slip. I'm embarrassed even typing it all out, but what good is sharing this if I'm going to lie?

Chicken + vegetables to the rescue for lunch. Same as it ever was. We're back on course, good thing... constant vigilance! Especially with the holidays looming.

(Planned) Broccoli slaw with more veggies and some sort of meat, haven't decided yet. Will pick it up at the store. A favorite standby, was glad I got reminded of it a few posts back.

We're gonna make it.

To the guys who say skipping breakfast is ok, that evening carbs are no biggie, how tall are you and what do you weigh? I'm 6'0" 178 (weighed today).
it doesnt matter when you eat..

a carb is a carb it all breaks down into glucose weather its a cupcake or a banana..it all turns into glucose.

losing weight involves eating less calories. calories in vs calories out period....

eat 5000 calories of tuna or eat 5000 calories of donuts ....you will get fat either way.

"In the latest results posted to his Facebook page on Nov. 5, Haub says his "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 30 points from 153 to 123, while his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, went up from 37 to 46 points. His triglyceride level, another measure of fat, dropped 39 percent."

"According to his food diary, in an average day he would eat Duncan Hinesbrownies, Hostess Twinkies, Cool Ranch Doritos chips, Little Debbie cakes andKellogg's corn pops."

"He tested the theory on himself, trimming his calorie intake from 2600 calories per day to 1800, and eating meals consisting of food typically found in vending machines."

"It may sound too good to be true, but nutrition professor Mark Haub proved you can have your cake and eat it too - by putting himself on a "Snack Cake Diet" and losing 27 pounds in 2 months."

Last edited by a moderator:
Skipping breakfast causes you to eat more later in the day. If you want to eats carbs, breakfast is the best time to do it because you have all day to burn it off. If you're skipping breakfast and then eating the majority of you calories in the evening you just end up storing them. I was at my worst when I used to skip breakfast. Just coffee until lunchtime and then had to eat a ton (usually carbs) because I was starving. Then you crash after lunch. Skipping breakfast is just a bad idea. If you want to skip something, skip the carbs at dinner. OP did great last night but had rice and quinoa. The quinoa is sufficient, sub another veg in for that rice. Carbs late = extra weight.

Had my physical this morning. BP is 100/72 !! Never been that good. I was always borderline high around 135/85. I bought the Blendtec at this time last year and ate more vegetables in the last 12 months then I did in my life before that. Spinach, beets, carrots and other stuff every single day. Life changer. I could never eat those things if not for that machine. I don't even taste them. My daily BM is one piece and phenomenal. The more vegetables you eat, the more weight you lose, the better your overall health is. Amazing how it all changes when you eat the amount of veg every day that is recommended. Eat that veg!!!
Willie, Willie, Willie....
What's even remotely controversial about that? You won't find a nutritionist on the planet who says skipping breakfast is ideal. You won't find one that says eating a bunch of carbs late evening isn't going to be a negative in terms of weight and weight loss.
I'm fairly certain I could find a ton of nutritionist who would say exactly that. When you eat matters not. How many calories you eat matters a lot.

High GI ( SUGAR vs Low sugar ) low GI carbs

"CONCLUSIONS:

This study does not support the contention that low-fat LGI diets are more beneficial than HGI diets with regard to appetite or body-weight regulation as evaluated over 10 wk. However, it confirms previous findings of a beneficial effect of LGI diets on risk factors for ischemic heart disease."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15277154

1 meal vs multiple ...no difference.

"With the method used for determination of DIT no significant effect of meal frequency on the contribution of DIT to ADMR could be demonstrated."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8399092?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17413096

this study shows that one meal a day...It showed that although eating one meal/day as opposed to three caused an increase in hunger, it actually caused a DECREASE in fat mass, it also showed decrease in the catabolic hormone cortisol.

You should not worry about Sugar vs low sugar carbs unless you are a diabetic...it matters to nothing..

you realize if your body has a lack of carbs it uses the protein from ingested or stored ( muscle ) breaks it down sends it to the liver and the liver converts it to sugar via gluconogenis.

As for the "there's nothing wrong with sugar" preachers, because "a calorie is just a calorie" in their minds, let me ask this... are the nine calories from a gram of saturated fat or trans fat, the same as the nine calories from a gram of polyunsaturated fat or monosaturated fat? I mean don't we know that the body processes these different fats in different ways, some being good for the body and some being bad? Don't we know the amount of saturated fats should be limited in our diet, and trans fats should be avoided?

No one is suggesting that sugar should be avoided completely, nor should simple carbs. But these types of carbs are processed by the body in a substantially different way than other carbs like fiber, as well as proteins and fats. It's not normal consumption of them that makes us sick. It is excess consumption of them that does. It turns the body into a roller coaster of fat production, then hunger, then fat production, then hunger, then fat production, then hunger....

A person who wants to limit their diet to 2000 calories a day, but consume a lot of those 2000 calories as sugar and simple carbs will experience this roller coaster, and by the evening will have consumed 2000 calories for the day with their brain telling them "PLEASE EAT SOMETHING!!!!!". They will fail on this type of diet because limiting themselves to 2000 calories a day feels like a battle, one they may win for a few weeks, maybe even a few months, but eventually they will lose.

On the other hand a person who wants to limit their diet to 2000 calories a day, but consume very few of those 2000 calories as sugar and simple carbs will NOT experience that roller coaster. When they are ready to go to bed, they can frequently have some calories to spare in their 2000 allowance and not have experienced any hunger issues they had to fight. This diet can be sustained for a lifetime.

In regards to fruit, yes fruit has a lot of sugar, but it also has a lot of fiber, which slows down the body's absorption of the sugar. It will all be absorbed but over a longer period of time compared to the same amount of sugar coming from a soda. So fruit does not kickoff that roller coaster ride. However, if fruit is eaten in addition to a lot of sugar and carbs coming from processed foods, then the body is already on the roller coaster ride so the body's insulin spike just takes that sugar from fruit and turns it into fat too. The fruit didn't trigger the insulin spike, but it was converted by the insulin spike none the less. And for diabetics the fruit in addition to processed sugar and simple carbs just makes the blood sugar level go higher. If however a diabetic has a diet completely absent from other sources of sugar, they could probably eat many servings of fruit spread out through the day without problems.

The idea that a calorie is just a calorie is only true in a lab. Yes you will get the same amount of energy from any source of calorie when it's burned. But it's how the body responds to different carbs, different fats, different proteins is the problem Americans are suffering from, because there is a TON of sugar being added to our food supply by companies who want their product to taste better than their competition. And the zero calorie sweeteners also cause the body to have not so good responses, so that's not really a solution for the calorie counting crowd. Again, I'm not bashing the process of calorie counting. The amount of energy is simple math and unarguable. But when one ignores how the body responds to different kinds of calories, they will naturally eat the tasty calories, which eventually leads to them failing to limit calorie consumption at where it needs to be.
This is a whole bunch of text that doesn't really help and is just distracting. Nobody is going on a 2000 calorie diet of starburst and expects to come out of it healthier. It is stupid to even discuss.

In the context of standard human consumption a calorie is just a calorie. I am sorry, but it just is. Name me one person that went on a diet and said ok I need to cut down to 1500 calories a day so that means I can have 5 twinkies, two juice boxes, 3 hohos, 2 cokes and one piece of licorice every day. Then stuck to that diet for 2 months and was legitimately confused by the outcome.

That's like being in Miami and overhearing somebody say thank god it never snows here and pointing out that it snowed in 1977. Don't be that guy.

The ex I mentioned a number of pages back popped in to town today. She's getting married a week from today in Chile (that's a whole DIFFERENT story). Pops me a text around 10:30 "where are you"? Took her out to lunch, last time I'd see her for a while. (I did ask if she was asking me to ride down on my bike in my assless chaps and save her from the mistake she was about to make, lol) Either way, no dinner leftovers. Went to the golf club. I'm learning new things all the time as I'm "trying" to make better decisions. Had the Turkey/Feta melt. Bascially a turkey and swiss sandwich on pumpernickel with feta sprinkled on top. Spinach and tomatoes and cranberry sauce. It was delicious. Substituted the cottage cheese for the french fries. Went about 900 calories, leaving me with just under 900 for dinner, and I can get that up by walking later today. Feta cheese. HOLY CRAP. Not good. Didn't realize until I put it all in myfitnesspal. Cranberry sauce not as bad as I'd imagined. Could have made a better choice, but I think all in all, still on track.

Skipping breakfast causes you to eat more later in the day. If you want to eats carbs, breakfast is the best time to do it because you have all day to burn it off. If you're skipping breakfast and then eating the majority of you calories in the evening you just end up storing them. I was at my worst when I used to skip breakfast. Just coffee until lunchtime and then had to eat a ton (usually carbs) because I was starving. Then you crash after lunch. Skipping breakfast is just a bad idea. If you want to skip something, skip the carbs at dinner. OP did great last night but had rice and quinoa. The quinoa is sufficient, sub another veg in for that rice. Carbs late = extra weight.

Had my physical this morning. BP is 100/72 !! Never been that good. I was always borderline high around 135/85. I bought the Blendtec at this time last year and ate more vegetables in the last 12 months then I did in my life before that. Spinach, beets, carrots and other stuff every single day. Life changer. I could never eat those things if not for that machine. I don't even taste them. My daily BM is one piece and phenomenal. The more vegetables you eat, the more weight you lose, the better your overall health is. Amazing how it all changes when you eat the amount of veg every day that is recommended. Eat that veg!!!
What's even remotely controversial about that? You won't find a nutritionist on the planet who says skipping breakfast is ideal. You won't find one that says eating a bunch of carbs late evening isn't going to be a negative in terms of weight and weight loss.
I'm fairly certain I could find a ton of nutritionist who would say exactly that. When you eat matters not. How many calories you eat matters a lot.
Unless every nutritionist on the planet has been ignoring data collected in the last few years, they would know that nutrition timing isn't nearly as important as what you eat. Some studies show that there is zero benefit, but I've read that it comes down to the individual. For some people, eating a big breakfast and small dinner works great. For others, skipping breakfast and eat a huge dinner works just as well.

But don't take our word for it. Ask uncle google.

The ex I mentioned a number of pages back popped in to town today. She's getting married a week from today in Chile (that's a whole DIFFERENT story). Pops me a text around 10:30 "where are you"? Took her out to lunch, last time I'd see her for a while. (I did ask if she was asking me to ride down on my bike in my assless chaps and save her from the mistake she was about to make, lol) Either way, no dinner leftovers. Went to the golf club. I'm learning new things all the time as I'm "trying" to make better decisions. Had the Turkey/Feta melt. Bascially a turkey and swiss sandwich on pumpernickel with feta sprinkled on top. Spinach and tomatoes and cranberry sauce. It was delicious. Substituted the cottage cheese for the french fries. Went about 900 calories, leaving me with just under 900 for dinner, and I can get that up by walking later today. Feta cheese. HOLY CRAP. Not good. Didn't realize until I put it all in myfitnesspal. Cranberry sauce not as bad as I'd imagined. Could have made a better choice, but I think all in all, still on track.
Most (all?) cheese is a quiet calorie count killer. It doesn't fill you up and reduces your wiggle room later. If you can do without dairy, or at least very little per day, while you're losing I'd recommend that.

You seem to be on the right track. Catalog everything you take in, and count all your non-everyday exercise. Hell, cooking, yard work, shopping, golf, these all burn calories that you can count. And your 1,800 target is spot on. Keep us updated gussy (if for no other reason than so we can see your avatar).

"In the latest results posted to his Facebook page on Nov. 5, Haub says his "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 30 points from 153 to 123, while his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, went up from 37 to 46 points. His triglyceride level, another measure of fat, dropped 39 percent."

"According to his food diary, in an average day he would eat Duncan Hinesbrownies, Hostess Twinkies, Cool Ranch Doritos chips, Little Debbie cakes andKellogg's corn pops."

"He tested the theory on himself, trimming his calorie intake from 2600 calories per day to 1800, and eating meals consisting of food typically found in vending machines."

"It may sound too good to be true, but nutrition professor Mark Haub proved you can have your cake and eat it too - by putting himself on a "Snack Cake Diet" and losing 27 pounds in 2 months."
I am sure his health is great.

Not.

Muscles are ####, his mind is ####. He is not functioning at a high level. That is not a way to feel and be healthy. That will catch up to you quite fast.

Purely a weight loss thing...not a health thing. So his levels dropped. he will still not feel and look healthy. Awful.

You truly are what you eat. He must be a sugar and salt raving lunatic. But his levels are great!!! LMAO.

Most (all?) cheese is a quiet calorie count killer. It doesn't fill you up and reduces your wiggle room later. If you can do without dairy, or at least very little per day, while you're losing I'd recommend that.
Cheese is one thing I do miss but I had to cut it from my diet since it's not worth the calories.

Cheese is one thing I do miss but I had to cut it from my diet since it's not worth the calories.
Totally worth the calories. Just can't have it often.

I am sure his health is great.

Not.

Muscles are ####, his mind is ####. He is not functioning at a high level. That is not a way to feel and be healthy. That will catch up to you quite fast.

Purely a weight loss thing...not a health thing. So his levels dropped. he will still not feel and look healthy. Awful.
If someone has a lot of weight to lose and are truly serious about getting healthy then they should do it anyway they can. If it takes eating #### to get down to a weight that will allow them to be more active and then eat better food then so be it. I don't recommend it but it's better to do something than nothing.

As for the "there's nothing wrong with sugar" preachers, because "a calorie is just a calorie" in their minds, let me ask this... are the nine calories from a gram of saturated fat or trans fat, the same as the nine calories from a gram of polyunsaturated fat or monosaturated fat? I mean don't we know that the body processes these different fats in different ways, some being good for the body and some being bad? Don't we know the amount of saturated fats should be limited in our diet, and trans fats should be avoided?

No one is suggesting that sugar should be avoided completely, nor should simple carbs. But these types of carbs are processed by the body in a substantially different way than other carbs like fiber, as well as proteins and fats. It's not normal consumption of them that makes us sick. It is excess consumption of them that does. It turns the body into a roller coaster of fat production, then hunger, then fat production, then hunger, then fat production, then hunger....

A person who wants to limit their diet to 2000 calories a day, but consume a lot of those 2000 calories as sugar and simple carbs will experience this roller coaster, and by the evening will have consumed 2000 calories for the day with their brain telling them "PLEASE EAT SOMETHING!!!!!". They will fail on this type of diet because limiting themselves to 2000 calories a day feels like a battle, one they may win for a few weeks, maybe even a few months, but eventually they will lose.

On the other hand a person who wants to limit their diet to 2000 calories a day, but consume very few of those 2000 calories as sugar and simple carbs will NOT experience that roller coaster. When they are ready to go to bed, they can frequently have some calories to spare in their 2000 allowance and not have experienced any hunger issues they had to fight. This diet can be sustained for a lifetime.

In regards to fruit, yes fruit has a lot of sugar, but it also has a lot of fiber, which slows down the body's absorption of the sugar. It will all be absorbed but over a longer period of time compared to the same amount of sugar coming from a soda. So fruit does not kickoff that roller coaster ride. However, if fruit is eaten in addition to a lot of sugar and carbs coming from processed foods, then the body is already on the roller coaster ride so the body's insulin spike just takes that sugar from fruit and turns it into fat too. The fruit didn't trigger the insulin spike, but it was converted by the insulin spike none the less. And for diabetics the fruit in addition to processed sugar and simple carbs just makes the blood sugar level go higher. If however a diabetic has a diet completely absent from other sources of sugar, they could probably eat many servings of fruit spread out through the day without problems.

The idea that a calorie is just a calorie is only true in a lab. Yes you will get the same amount of energy from any source of calorie when it's burned. But it's how the body responds to different carbs, different fats, different proteins is the problem Americans are suffering from, because there is a TON of sugar being added to our food supply by companies who want their product to taste better than their competition. And the zero calorie sweeteners also cause the body to have not so good responses, so that's not really a solution for the calorie counting crowd. Again, I'm not bashing the process of calorie counting. The amount of energy is simple math and unarguable. But when one ignores how the body responds to different kinds of calories, they will naturally eat the tasty calories, which eventually leads to them failing to limit calorie consumption at where it needs to be.
This is a whole bunch of text that doesn't really help and is just distracting. Nobody is going on a 2000 calorie diet of starburst and expects to come out of it healthier. It is stupid to even discuss.In the context of standard human consumption a calorie is just a calorie. I am sorry, but it just is. Name me one person that went on a diet and said ok I need to cut down to 1500 calories a day so that means I can have 5 twinkies, two juice boxes, 3 hohos, 2 cokes and one piece of licorice every day. Then stuck to that diet for 2 months and was legitimately confused by the outcome.

That's like being in Miami and overhearing somebody say thank god it never snows here and pointing out that it snowed in 1977. Don't be that guy.
Thanks for the strawman response. :thumbup:

If someone has a lot of weight to lose and are truly serious about getting healthy then they should do it anyway they can. If it takes eating #### to get down to a weight that will allow them to be more active and then eat better food then so be it. I don't recommend it but it's better to do something than nothing.
I think it might be worse physiologically and psychologically to lose 50 pounds and then gain it back, as opposed to just never losing it at all. That's just my opinion and isn't really based on a study.

His blood levels improved..not sure how that doesn't mean he's not more healthy.

If your blood work is good than you are more than likely pretty healthy dude.

I probably have a worse diet than anyone and I'm healthy and look solid

I eat anything from Arbys to zaxbys to 2 lbs of hamburger a day with rice roni packets.

It's fuel.

And the whole point of the professor was to prove that restricted calories loses weight. It's that simple.

Eat fish and rice if you want "healthy"

The only dairy I can recommend for weight loss is a glass of 2% milk a day.

When you eat matters a ton.

Totally worth the calories. Just can't have it often.
I didn't miss it on my sandwiches, but there was a void at dinner time, depending on the dish obviously. I had a lot of problems going dairy-less while I was in lose mode, but based on what I wanted to do I kinda had to sacrifice it. It's now back on some of my sandwiches again and cottage cheese mixed w/fruit is now my go-to post afternoon workout food.

900 for dinner is a piece of cake. I love having meat and veggies for dinner. You can have a huge slab of meat, and then a big pile of veggies. If you're eating chicken or fish you can do a lot of damage and keep it under 900 calories. :)

i think i would cut off my left nut before i cut out cheese. Find the gym or go outside and walk a bit extra.

I guess one other positive that I forgot to share is that she drank a boulevard right in front of me and I stuck to water. She asked me briefly about it and that was it. This girl had her flaws for sure, never could have been married to her, but she was always super supportive of anything I did and believed in me. I think it's the reason I've kept her around, lol. For my ego. That, and the fact she's 14 years younger than me and weighs less than half I do :)

I agree with you on this but can you agree that it's more difficult to control calories if you have have a large breakfast?

If I have a breakfast that is 1/3 of my calories (650) then that leaves me with 12 hours left in the day to only eat 2/3rds of the day's calories (1350) vs. being able to split my meals into a 1000 calorie lunch and 800 calorie dinner. This is basically a Spanish diet.

Question for you really fat guys -- does you gut hang over your junk? Like, when you look in the mirror when you are naked is your penis unable to be seen at all?

The only dairy I can recommend for weight loss is a glass of 2% milk a day.
i don't get this. You cut out cheese (standard string cheese snack is 80-100 calories) but drink milk (8 oz glass of 2% 120-130 calories)????

I think it might be worse physiologically and psychologically to lose 50 pounds and then gain it back, as opposed to just never losing it at all. That's just my opinion and isn't really based on a study.
In my past I went from 263 pounds to 199 pounds in six months via calorie counting and a lot of exercise. I was so sick of the diet and exercise that when I reached my goal it was a HUGE relief that it was over. A few years later I weighed 281 pounds. I felt like I had wasted all that effort and sacrifice I made.... as I should, because I did.

I do not recommend any method of losing weight that is temporary at best.

I'm not sure how big you have to be to have a gut that hangs over your "junk" to where you cant see it when you look in the mirror, but 260 isn't it. Mine hangs a bit over my jeans. That's bad enough.

In my past I went from 263 pounds to 199 pounds in six months via calorie counting and a lot of exercise. I was so sick of the diet and exercise that when I reached my goal it was a HUGE relief that it was over. A few years later I weighed 281 pounds. I felt like I had wasted all that effort and sacrifice I made.... as I should, because I did.

Ultimately, no method that results in a weight loss of 64 pounds is "temporary at best". It comes down to personal decisions after the weight is lost. It's easy to say that whatever you are doing now is working, but what if you fall off the wagon in 3 months and go back to 280? Does that mean that what you did to lose weight isn't important?

I do agree that many people struggle with the transition from "dieting" to "maintenance". But the reason for that is mental, imo.

For instance, if you have cut sugar and refined carbs out of your diet as a way to lose weight, thinking that you can add them back once you get to your desired weight, you'll likely add the weight back.

Similarly, if your goal is to count calories, run and get to your desired weight, thinking that once you get there it will be like high school again, you'll ultimately fail there as well.

But if you know going in what the plan is once you arrive, and stick to it, you can maintain no matter what you did to get there.

When you eat doesn't matter

So you prefer to skip over scientific journals and use bro science instead..that says carbs at night are stored as fat....

Example of how the body works

10 oz steak

Person a eats it in one meal

Person b

Splits into 5 2 oz meals

Person B digest the food every 2 hours

Person A takes 10 hours to digest the whole thing

Both for a total of 10 hours

Get the same amount of nutrients

It's simple

Humans are not that black and white or we would have been extinct long ago

Logically from a survival stand point

Why would the body waste nutrients ? Storing at as fat when it doesn't know the last meal

You realize storing fat and then having to use it for energy takes energy.

Your body only stores excess calories.

Ultimately, no method that results in a weight loss of 64 pounds is "temporary at best". It comes down to personal decisions after the weight is lost. It's easy to say that whatever you are doing now is working, but what if you fall off the wagon in 3 months and go back to 280? Does that mean that what you did to lose weight isn't important?

I do agree that many people struggle with the transition from "dieting" to "maintenance". But the reason for that is mental, imo.

For instance, if you have cut sugar and refined carbs out of your diet as a way to lose weight, thinking that you can add them back once you get to your desired weight, you'll likely add the weight back.

Similarly, if your goal is to count calories, run and get to your desired weight, thinking that once you get there it will be like high school again, you'll ultimately fail there as well.

But if you know going in what the plan is once you arrive, and stick to it, you can maintain no matter what you did to get there.
I hated that six months. I kept eating the foods I liked, but I limited it to only 2000 calories. I was hungry too much. Only desire to reach my goal kept me focused to not get rid of the hunger by eating something. I forced myself to wait, or if I had no calories left for the day, I went to bed starving. I hated all the exercise I was doing. Again, only desire to reach my goal kept me doing it. Anything a person does that they hate is temporary.

As far as transitioning to "maintenance", again eating just 2000 calories of the foods I loved made me miserable because of how hungry I always was. Like I said before, if you eat bad food, you will naturally end up eating more calories than your body needs. The person will hate doing "maintenance" amount eating of that kind of food just like they hated the diet that lost them the weight.

The only way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat good food for the body. You wont have desires to eat that you have to mentally fight against. The weight will come off, and when it does you just keep doing what you did while losing the weight. You will naturally eat the amount of calories your body needs.

I agree with you on this but can you agree that it's more difficult to control calories if you have have a large breakfast?

If I have a breakfast that is 1/3 of my calories (650) then that leaves me with 12 hours left in the day to only eat 2/3rds of the day's calories (1350) vs. being able to split my meals into a 1000 calorie lunch and 800 calorie dinner. This is basically a Spanish diet.
Who eats a 650 calorie breakfast?

As in so little or a lot of calories?

I found that establishing a cut off time helped with this problem. I wouldn't eat after 7 something at night. If I knew I was going to get hungry then I went to bed early, but typically I was fine as long as I got to bed by 11. This both controlled calories and ensured a better night's sleep, win-win.

As in so little or a lot of calories?
That's a lot for breakfast IMO.

parasaurolophus said:
Make it so your life isn't a rat race and it actually becomes quite easy to eat extremely healthy.
I'd love to be in a position to not work 50-60hrs/week (I mean, doesn't everyone?). Fact is, even with being pretty busy there are somethings that are quick, easy, and can be healthy. My grill gets a lot of use for just that reason.

Todem said:
45 years old

5'10'

187 pounds.

34 waste

I feel really good.

The highest I let myself get was 215 LBS and that was 5 years ago. In high school I was 175 pounds at my peak of physical fitness and playing baseball and tennis year round.
Almost exactly me at my highest and current. Goal is 169 (i.e. dip under 170) by summer. Sick of getting left in the middle of a hill by 140lb sticks with legs. That and getting to the top of Mt. Evans this summer will be much easier at 170 than 190.
What is your frame size though. I am a large framed guy. So ultimately I want to get down to 180....but that's tough as I do like to indulge in some foods that won't let me. LOL. I do like to eat.
Naturally a bit thicker than most. At my current muscle mass I'd hit 0% BF at around 155, so 170 is 10% BF. I'd be shredded and all kinds of awesome in the 165 range, but that is going to be really tough to hit.

Biggest issue is not hitting up more food after dinner, particularly on non-cycling days when I don't get the 1000-1500 calorie deficit easily.

Pretty much everyone at Cracker Barrel is getting two to three times that in their breakfast.

Some days I'll have a couple eggs and an orange. Other days I'll have oatmeal and a banana or strawberries. 250 calories is plenty for breakfast.

A glass of milk and two pop tarts is 600. Pretty easy to hit.

A glass of milk and two pop tarts is 600. Pretty easy to hit.
That's a breakfast for a kid in middle school. No adult does this.

ETA: but I get your point.

I hated that six months. I kept eating the foods I liked, but I limited it to only 2000 calories. I was hungry too much. Only desire to reach my goal kept me focused to not get rid of the hunger by eating something. I forced myself to wait, or if I had no calories left for the day, I went to bed starving. I hated all the exercise I was doing. Again, only desire to reach my goal kept me doing it. Anything a person does that they hate is temporary.

As far as transitioning to "maintenance", again eating just 2000 calories of the foods I loved made me miserable because of how hungry I always was. Like I said before, if you eat bad food, you will naturally end up eating more calories than your body needs. The person will hate doing "maintenance" amount eating of that kind of food just like they hated the diet that lost them the weight.

The only way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat good food for the body. You wont have desires to eat that you have to mentally fight against. The weight will come off, and when it does you just keep doing what you did while losing the weight. You will naturally eat the amount of calories your body needs.
I see what you're saying. Look, if someone tries to eat 1800 calories a day of french fries, pop tarts and ice cream, they will likely crack and they will likely be miserable.

In reality all you really did the second time is cut calories without knowing it, by cutting out the crap foods. You can't eat as much steak, chicken and veggies as you want and lose tons of weight. You can lose water weight which will trick people, but ultimately your 2nd big weight-loss journey was done by cutting calories as well, you just went about it in a way that was easier for you.

I'd argue that cutting out sugar and refined carbs is more sustainable than eating junk all day, but ultimately that's just anecdotal.

For many people, they just can't cut out the crap totally. Maybe they want a bowl of ice cream a few times a week, or a cheeseburger with fries. A deprivation diet (depriving yourself of a certain type of food) fails just as regularly as a calorie cutting diet. All diets or lifestyle changes are quite difficult.

Exactly. That's the whole point. Gussy likes breakfast, so I'll stop with the "no breakfast" stuff. Many healthy people skip breakfast. Probably not as many as those that eat breakfast, but we've had generations of people telling us the importance of breakfast, and how it boosts our metabolism, so it's not surprising that most people eat breakfast. Just like most people think bacon is going to give them a heart attack. Not true, but it's hard to change that perception.

Carry on with breakfast Gussy. You seem to need it, so eat it.
The idea of a big breakfast goes back to farmers who worked hard in the mornings and needed all of that energy. A guy like me who drives to work and sits down at a computer all day doesn't.
This times a million. We need far less food than we have been led to believe we do.

parasaurolophus said:

Todem said:
45 years old

5'10'

187 pounds.

34 waste

I feel really good.

Naturally a bit thicker than most. At my current muscle mass I'd hit 0% BF at around 155, so 170 is 10% BF. I'd be shredded and all kinds of awesome in the 165 range, but that is going to be really tough to hit.

Biggest issue is not hitting up more food after dinner, particularly on non-cycling days when I don't get the 1000-1500 calorie deficit easily.
Brother...170 at 10 percent

To get to 5 percent body fat you would be well under 150 lbs

Breakfast depends on your weight...

I burn 3000 calories a day if I just sat in bed all day.

My breakfast consist of

12 inch subway tuna or whatever I want

Bag of chips

2 chocolate chip cookies

1 medium Coke

2000 calories or so

Users who are viewing this thread