What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oregon Militia Takeover - Ammon Bundy arrested (1 Viewer)

When the whackos on the fring left had their Occupy Wall Street groups all over the country taking over city parks across the country, did the government violently respond or did they wait for months while those idiots stunk up the cities? Seems like the actually closest analogy to this situation then the utterly ridiculous strawmen being put out by a few deranged posters.
You literally have no idea what you are talking about w/r/t Occupy. Please do not equate the two.
Have these yahoos thrown rocks, bottles, burning flares, or explosive devises at police yet? Have they burnt flags, destroyed property, and disrupted normal activities? In Oakland, there was over $2 million worth of damage inflicted upon the city and another $5 million costs to the city in having to police them. These idiots are maybe disrupting the work of a few federal workers, but other than that no one is threatened or bothered by their takeover. And there is only a handful of them. It is stupid to compare the two, but I am not the one posting the ridiculous 'what if they were black' strawman.

Why are we talking about OWS?
Because when for some bizarre reason your poltics inspire you to defend something that is indefensible, the only option is a poo-flinging "the other side did bad stuff too!!!" argument.
I'm too lazy to look, but I think this poo flinging exercise began by the implication that these troublemakers were getting preferential treatment because they are white - which then devolved into an examination of how other trouble making groups were dealt with....

i am not saying turn the drones on them - ok i did say that, but it was a joke - but it just annoys me that they do this and we will probably sit back and say "enjoy your newly captured empty building" and eventually they will get tired and go back to quietly poaching deer

and i do think it is a dangerous path, one of these times things are going to get out of control.
The same can be said for a lot of protests. Some are treating this differently because they don't agree with these people politically. This isn't a "militia" any more than any other group of protesting citizens. They are armed, but that's not illegal. They haven't put anybody in harms way.

I find a lot of the BLM movement a non-issue, but I don't have a problem with their protests. As long as no one gets hurt anyway. We give a lot of slack to protests in general (as I think we should).
They broke into a Federal building and are occupying it. Who cares if their guns are illegal or not; what they're doing is illegal regardless of their intentions or motivations.

This isn't a peaceful protest - It's anarchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the whackos on the fring left had their Occupy Wall Street groups all over the country taking over city parks across the country, did the government violently respond or did they wait for months while those idiots stunk up the cities? Seems like the actually closest analogy to this situation then the utterly ridiculous strawmen being put out by a few deranged posters.
You literally have no idea what you are talking about w/r/t Occupy. Please do not equate the two.
Have these yahoos thrown rocks, bottles, burning flares, or explosive devises at police yet? Have they burnt flags, destroyed property, and disrupted normal activities? In Oakland, there was over $2 million worth of damage inflicted upon the city and another $5 million costs to the city in having to police them. These idiots are maybe disrupting the work of a few federal workers, but other than that no one is threatened or bothered by their takeover. And there is only a handful of them. It is stupid to compare the two, but I am not the one posting the ridiculous 'what if they were black' strawman.
Aren't some of these "Patriot" types talking about wanting to see the government fall?

i am not saying turn the drones on them - ok i did say that, but it was a joke - but it just annoys me that they do this and we will probably sit back and say "enjoy your newly captured empty building" and eventually they will get tired and go back to quietly poaching deer

and i do think it is a dangerous path, one of these times things are going to get out of control.
The same can be said for a lot of protests. Some are treating this differently because they don't agree with these people politically. This isn't a "militia" any more than any other group of protesting citizens. They are armed, but that's not illegal. They haven't put anybody in harms way.

I find a lot of the BLM movement a non-issue, but I don't have a problem with their protests. As long as no one gets hurt anyway. We give a lot of slack to protests in general (as I think we should).
They broke into a Federal building and are occupying it. Who cares if their guns are illegal or not; what they're doing is illegal regardless of their intentions for motivations.

This isn't a peaceful protest - It's anarchy.
It's definitely something beyond an armed sit-in...

I think the response by the Fed's would be similar if this were an armed Black Panther group taking over some building in BFE.

The coverage from the FOX commentators would be different. That fair to say?

Because when for some bizarre reason your poltics inspire you to defend something that is indefensible, the only option is a poo-flinging "the other side did bad stuff too!!!" argument.
Indefensible? I don't think protests like these are bad. They are an important part of a free society. I think it's good that we allow flexibility.
Yes, I've seen your posts in defense of the armed criminals who are occupying a federal building and demanding that the government give them free stuff. You should consider it a compliment that I'm assuming you're just fishing and not serious.
:lmao: I don't have a problem with non-violent protests as long as they stay non-violent. If we shut down every protest that illegally occupied government land/buildings there wouldn't be a whole lot of protesting anymore.

Obviously, there are those that take offense to the fact that some of these guys are armed. I don't. Not unless they actually engage in violence. Having a gun isn't violent.
Nobody "takes offense" to them being armed. They just have enough common sense to know that when you have a gun and threaten to use it to defend your illegal activity, you are in fact doing something far different from peaceful protest. As do you, I hope. Although this is good shtick. "It wasn't armed robbery, your honor. I simply asked for some money while holding a gun and threatening to use it if I didn't get what I wanted. More of a loan, really."
They have yet to do anything violent. They aren't rioting or looting or shooting each other. We'll see what happens once the FBI starts talking to with them.
the mere fact that they are armed and have threatened to use said arms makes the actions violent.

i'm not sure how it works in Oregon, but in some places committing a crime is one thing...committing a crime with a firearm is a completely different charge - a felony, probably.

Illegally entering a federal facility is a crime. Brandishing a fire-arm while doing so really, really raises the ante. Bordering on treason, IMO.

Are the schools still closed?

There's no reason to respond to or even acknowledge OWS comments. It's a straw man argument. Plus, debating right wing nut job enablers will suck all the fun out of the thread.

Indefensible? I don't think protests like these are bad. They are an important part of a free society. I think it's good that we allow flexibility.
Yes, I've seen your posts in defense of the armed criminals who are occupying a federal building and demanding that the government give them free stuff. You should consider it a compliment that I'm assuming you're just fishing and not serious.
:lmao: I don't have a problem with non-violent protests as long as they stay non-violent. If we shut down every protest that illegally occupied government land/buildings there wouldn't be a whole lot of protesting anymore.

Obviously, there are those that take offense to the fact that some of these guys are armed. I don't. Not unless they actually engage in violence. Having a gun isn't violent.
Nobody "takes offense" to them being armed. They just have enough common sense to know that when you have a gun and threaten to use it to defend your illegal activity, you are in fact doing something far different from peaceful protest. As do you, I hope. Although this is good shtick. "It wasn't armed robbery, your honor. I simply asked for some money while holding a gun and threatening to use it if I didn't get what I wanted. More of a loan, really."
They have yet to do anything violent. They aren't rioting or looting or shooting each other. We'll see what happens once the FBI starts talking to with them.
the mere fact that they are armed and have threatened to use said arms makes the actions violent.
If they have threatened the FBI negotiators I would consider that an escalation. I'm not too concerned with what they tell the media.

I think the response by the Fed's would be similar if this were an armed Black Panther group taking over some building in BFE.

Yes but Fox's nonstop coverage would be totally justified because someone on MSNBC or DailyKos did something similar, once.

If they have threatened the FBI negotiators I would consider that an escalation. I'm not too concerned with what they tell the media.
When you're doing something illegal and brandishing a weapon the threat of violence is implied.

I am loving this argument, though. It produces some excellent hypothetical scenarios. "Hostages? Why, I have no idea what you're talking about, sir. We are simply exercising our rights under the first and second amendments by standing at the entrance to this bank brandishing weapons and shouting at the patrons that we'd like them to remain with us for an extended, indefinite time period. Is it our fault that they assumed we'd shoot them if they tried to leave?"

There's no reason to respond to or even acknowledge OWS comments. It's a straw man argument. Plus, debating right wing nut job enablers will suck all the fun out of the thread.
This line of argument was started because the totally ridiculous and stupid argument that this would be handled differently if they were black/Muslim. That was the Strawman. HTH, but I am sure it won't. They hypocrisy by the ones screaming hypocrisy is crazy. The election season is really bringing out the stupid.

Yes but Fox's nonstop coverage would be totally justified because someone on MSNBC or DailyKos did something similar, once.
:lol: I expect that.But seriously even among Fox News fan would they disagree with what I originally said?

i'm not sure how it works in Oregon, but in some places committing a crime is one thing...committing a crime with a firearm is a completely different charge - a felony, probably.

Illegally entering a federal facility is a crime. Brandishing a fire-arm while doing so really, really raises the ante. Bordering on treason, IMO.
Going a little far with treason, but there is a huge difference between breaking and entering unarmed vs. armed.

In Massachusetts it's a maximum of 20 years unarmed but if done with a firearm it's a minimum 15 year sentence with a maximum of life.

This line of argument was started because the totally ridiculous and stupid argument that this would be handled differently if they were black/Muslim. That was the Strawman. HTH, but I am sure it won't. They hypocrisy by the ones screaming hypocrisy is crazy. The election season is really bringing out the stupid.
If armed black or Muslims took over a government building there would be the same level of outrage.

Handled differently - reaction from the Feds - I would say no. Covered differently I would say yes.

If armed black or Muslims took over a government building in the middle of no-where there would be the same level of outrage.
edit added.

If armed black or Muslims took over a government building there would be the same level of outrage.
If the guys had videos talking about the Bible leading to violence, threatening the FED's, etc. It would be WW III meltdown. Sean Hannity would probably cream himself on air.

. And what does OWS have to do with anything? That it somehow relates to a hypothetical armed black panther/Muslim takeover? That's the real strawman.

. And what does OWS have to do with anything? That it somehow relates to a hypothetical armed black panther/Muslim takeover? That's the real strawman.
The police respond according to the situation, not the color of skin. If these yahoo took over a building in downtown New York, that would change the response. The color of skin, not so much. OWS was an example which showed that. In most cases the OWS protestors were handled peacefully. When the situation got dangerous or threatening the safety of people or property, then the police escalated. The same exact way this will be handled.

The police respond according to the situation, not the color of skin. If these yahoo took over a building in downtown New York, that would change the response. The color of skin, not so much. OWS was an example which showed that. In most cases the OWS protestors were handled peacefully. When the situation got dangerous or threatening the safety of people or property, then the police escalated. The same exact way this will be handled.
Alright, agreed. And believe me, I don't want a heavy handed police response to this- waiting them out offers far more comic value, and is also the sensible option - a rare alignment indeed.

But the main point of the response issue doesn't concern the police - as always, it's about the hypocritical FOX news coverage.

Googling online to see if REI sells these rape tents everyone keeps talking about.
Important legal tip to keep in mind: if you are simply holding a gun and don't actually tell the woman you might shoot her if she doesn't do what you want, it's actually consensual sex accompanied by a valid exercise of your Second Amendment rights, not rape.

Googling online to see if REI sells these rape tents everyone keeps talking about.
Important legal tip to keep in mind: if you are simply holding a gun and don't actually tell the woman you might shoot her if she doesn't do what you want, it's actually consensual sex accompanied by a valid exercise of your Second Amendment rights, not rape.
because of the implication.

If you go to Germany you dont even need a tent! You can join in on mass gang rapes at the local train station and even throw fireworks at people.

If you go to Germany you dont even need a tent! You can join in on mass gang rapes at the local train station and even throw fireworks at people.
Im sorry if I dont find humor in rape and murder, I guess im an #######. If you find humor in ISIS I guess your a much smarter and wittier person than I.
I want to be part of the fun, did you read that story about ISIS strapping a bomb onto a 4 year old boy today then blowing him up? Funny stuff.

Alright, agreed. And believe me, I don't want a heavy handed police response to this- waiting them out offers far more comic value, and is also the sensible option - a rare alignment indeed.But the main point of the response issue doesn't concern the police - as always, it's about the hypocritical FOX news coverage.
Every news source needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Most with a shovel of salt.

Yes. But hopefully most folks realize Fox is a joke.

Tough crowd, all I wanted to do was join in on the fun of mocking mass rapes and exploding children.

Im sorry if I dont find humor in rape and murder, I guess im an #######. If you find humor in ISIS I guess your a much smarter and wittier person than I.
I want to be part of the fun, did you read that story about ISIS strapping a bomb onto a 4 year old boy today then blowing him up? Funny stuff.
Doubling down on stupidity. Bold move, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off.

It's going to be interesting to see how they deal with the pent up backlog of demand to visit the Malheur National Park HQ. once this is all said and done. Surely people must be getting anxious at this point, being cut off from such a critical component of our national park system.

Doubling down on stupidity. Bold move, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off.
:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread