What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rooney rule discussion (1 Viewer)

Hiring executives can see the race of the applicant. 

Unconscious bias is not an uncontroversial point. 

Not going to waste any more time on this.  People are way too desperate to suggest others are racist.
Again, big picture.......Imo, this is all by design......you control a population by keeping them fighting over emotional topics.....there's an old video (1984 I believe) floating around out there of a KGB defector who talks about population control methods used in the USSR.....then look at what's going on today in the USA.

Again, big picture.......Imo, this is all by design......you control a population by keeping them fighting over emotional topics.....there's an old video (1984 I believe) floating around out there of a KGB defector who talks about population control methods used in the USSR.....then look at what's going on today in the USA.
Yeah, I think this discussion has gone waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy beyond the scope of the Shark Pool.

The Jets are brining him in, but also interviewed Bienemy already and will bring in Kris Richard also which says that none of them are being brought in just to satisfy the Rooney rule because any one of them would have been enough.

I think Caldwell is a "token" interview more along the lines that he's one of the few veteran coaches available that have had some modicum of success in this league so teams want to pick his brain and find out how he sees their teams and how his other organizations have done things (poorly or well). I don't  think he's a serious candidate anywhere but you never know - maybe he impresses one of these teams and gets another shot.
I can't remember the exact details, but I think that's what may have happened in Detroit a few years ago. Not sure how serious they initially were about hiring him, but he apparently came in and blew them away with his analysis of Stafford and what he'd do to fix his problems.

That's an overlooked aspect of this whole discussion: Hiring an NFL coach is very different than hiring for other jobs. If I'm hiring an administrative assistant or sales rep or whatever, I'm not going to waste my time talking to people who aren't going to get the job. But NFL teams have lots of reasons separate from finding the best candidate: vets like Caldwell who can help them figure out what they want, people who can give them insights into other organizations (I suspect that's one of the reasons everyone associated with the Rams, down to the water boy, is interviewing for HC positions this week). And from the candidates' perspective, there's the notion of using the interviews as "practice" for future opportunities.

That's why I'm always reluctant to dismiss any interviews as tokenism. There's probably a lot going on in all of these situations that we don't know about. Then again, NFL owners have displayed an uncanny ability to validate even the most cynical interpretations for their actions, so maybe I'm giving them an unearned benefit of the doubt.

Yes, this definitely blends political with NFL. But it's a lot NFL so it can stay here. Please be civil and respectful to each other and while talking about it. 

I'll also change the name of the thread. Please be cool. 

Yes, this definitely blends political with NFL. But it's a lot NFL so it can stay here. Please be civil and respectful to each other and while talking about it. 

Thanks for weighing in. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting moving this entire thread to TPF. It's obviously an NFL-related topic. I think it's just always going to be tricky to discuss any topics that touch on race, since a) the discussion can get pretty charged, and b) it can easily crowd out other, more germane, discussions. There's no easy fix, other than keeping an eye on the thread and nudging it back if it gets of course. For my own part, I'm going to try really hard not to get sucked into any broader political debates and keep my focus on the NFL-related aspects of the discussion. I hope others will as well.

Thanks for the title change- when I started this thread I had some issues figuring out how to change the title as it was worded very poorly. It was probably one of the first few threads I started here. 

Just looked for the thread because once again all these teams want to interview Jim Caldwell early in the process, as the only minority coach they talk to, and now we have all these teams getting down to their final decisions and not a peep about Caldwell being considered. I understand it isn’t a perfect solution and has its benefits, but every year this irks me. It just has the optics of “let’s talk to (minority coach), then start calling these other guys that we really want.” I don’t have a solution to offer. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the title change- when I started this thread I had some issues figuring out how to change the title as it was worded very poorly. It was probably one of the first few threads I started here. 

Just looked for the thread because once again all these teams want to interview Jim Caldwell early in the process, as the only minority coach they talk to, and now we have all these teams getting down to their final decisions and not a peep about Caldwell being considered. I understand it isn’t a perfect solution and has its benefits, but every year this irks me. It just has the optics of “let’s talk to (minority coach), then start calling these other guys that we really want.” I don’t have a solution to offer. 
The only ones where I feel confident that it's tokenism are the cases like Gruden. With Caldwell, I just don't know. Maybe it's tokenism, or maybe they're picking his brain as a veteran coach. Or maybe it's both. 

I will also say there have beeninstances in the past couple years where teams have raised eyebrows by interviewing a minority candidate early and then gone on to interview additional ones later. The truth is, whatever you think of the RR's necessity or effectiveness, at this point it shouldn't be that hard to find qualified minority candidates. This isn't like that episode of "Scrubs" where Turk's college put him on the front page of their brochure twice.

ESPN is discussing this issue again.  5 of the 7 black head coaches were fired this year.  They have already jumped to the conclusion that there will be fewer black head coaches to start the 2019 season than there were at the start of 2018. 
Just updating this: Five of the eight head coach openings have been filled so far, and none of them have gone to minorities, so there almost certainly will be fewer. Bienemy, Richard and Flores still in the running for the open positions (I suppose Caldwell is as well, but I don't expect him to be hired).

Check your privilege.  :P

(For the record, as a fellow Greg, I too am offended by the incorporation of my name as a stand-in for generic whiteness. I thought we had all agreed that Chad drew that assignment.)
Hey, some of my best friends are Gregs.

I dunno, my kids are in 1st and 2nd grade. I do not see a single male teacher , principal, or administrator in the entire school system. if we're trying to get diversity where are the men teaching pk-5?? it's nothing but 23 yr old (girls) women teaching pk-5..so when are we going to force schools to partake in diversity and equality for men? just saying this because it's kind of the same thing as the Rooney rule there should be something similar for men in teaching.

One guy said it best in a previous post, that the interviewers can see the candidates skin color while viewing a resume. they already know who is black or white. that's a bias before you even call a candidate.

The only ones where I feel confident that it's tokenism are the cases like Gruden. With Caldwell, I just don't know. Maybe it's tokenism, or maybe they're picking his brain as a veteran coach. Or maybe it's both. 

I will also say there have beeninstances in the past couple years where teams have raised eyebrows by interviewing a minority candidate early and then gone on to interview additional ones later. The truth is, whatever you think of the RR's necessity or effectiveness, at this point it shouldn't be that hard to find qualified minority candidates. This isn't like that episode of "Scrubs" where Turk's college put him on the front page of their brochure twice.
Over the years there have been some eyebrow raisers....I can’t remember exactly, if it was koetter to the bucs maybe, where they talked to him first and it was pretty much known that he was the guy, but then they either got fined for not adhering to RR or brought in someone late before they actually hired dirk...so I suppose I see why teams want to get it out of the way too. 

I remember a time when there were discussions about whether or not black qbs “knew the game” well enough to be solid nfl qbs, even after several had done it or were doing it then like warren moon. Every year there would be some discussion to that effect- mcnabb, McNair, Cunningham, Vick, kordell, all were praised for their physical abilities, but it was questioned if they possessed “intangibles” so I guess we really aren’t as progressive as we’d like to think in society. 

But hey, let’s all keep working at it. 

Over the years there have been some eyebrow raisers....I can’t remember exactly, if it was koetter to the bucs maybe, where they talked to him first and it was pretty much known that he was the guy, but then they either got fined for not adhering to RR or brought in someone late before they actually hired dirk...so I suppose I see why teams want to get it out of the way too. 

I remember a time when there were discussions about whether or not black qbs “knew the game” well enough to be solid nfl qbs, even after several had done it or were doing it then like warren moon. Every year there would be some discussion to that effect- mcnabb, McNair, Cunningham, Vick, kordell, all were praised for their physical abilities, but it was questioned if they possessed “intangibles” so I guess we really aren’t as progressive as we’d like to think in society. 

But hey, let’s all keep working at it. 
Pretty sure the Lions were the only team to ever get fined. But yeah, the Koetter situation was a lot like Gruden, where the whole reason they fired Lovie was so that they could keep Dirk, so it was obvious they were going with him.

BTW, apparently they tweaked the rule this year to discourage token interviews:

At today’s league meeting, the NFL confirmed that the Rooney Rule has been updated to require teams to go outside their own organizations to interview a minority candidate, or to interview a candidate who is on the league’s career development advisory panel list.
The QB stereotyping has definitely gotten better, but I'm old enough to remember when draft experts were saying Lamar Jackson would have to switch to WR.

I dunno, my kids are in 1st and 2nd grade. I do not see a single male teacher , principal, or administrator in the entire school system. if we're trying to get diversity where are the men teaching pk-5?? it's nothing but 23 yr old (girls) women teaching pk-5..so when are we going to force schools to partake in diversity and equality for men? just saying this because it's kind of the same thing as the Rooney rule there should be something similar for men in teaching.

One guy said it best in a previous post, that the interviewers can see the candidates skin color while viewing a resume. they already know who is black or white. that's a bias before you even call a candidate.
You make a point, and you're an not wrong in your facts. I've hung out in the political forum since the shutdown and this post would be destroyed there. So while off topic... interesting.

Color and gender only matter when it is too much of one.

Tanner9919 said:

You are half correct, in that the fact that low-paying jobs with no career path are predominantly held by women is the result of discrimination. But you are wrong about who is being discriminated against.

zftcg said:
Just updating this: Five of the eight head coach openings have been filled so far, and none of them have gone to minorities, so there almost certainly will be fewer. Bienemy, Richard and Flores still in the running for the open positions (I suppose Caldwell is as well, but I don't expect him to be hired).
Bienemy needs given a shot. Caldwell doesn't. He's boring and has no interest in scoring big points. Flores maybe since he comes from NE, but I stand by my statement that you never hire a DC again as HC in the current O friendly NFL.

Bienemy needs given a shot. Caldwell doesn't. He's boring and has no interest in scoring big points. Flores maybe since he comes from NE, but I stand by my statement that you never hire a DC again as HC in the current O friendly NFL.
Speaking from Cal's perspective, Justin Wilcox > Sonny Dykes.

Sports are just too competitive with too much money on the line in this day and age to be worrying about this identity politics BS.  Teams just cant afford to be discriminating against anyone based on something totally meaningless.

Sports are just too competitive with too much money on the line in this day and age to be worrying about this identity politics BS.  Teams just cant afford to be discriminating against anyone based on something totally meaningless.
You would think that would be the case.  On a certain level, the RR seems to be a bizarre concept.  If you had an organization adverse to a minority hiring, what do you gain my forcing a minority interview?  It seems like more of a disservice to the minority candidate.

zftcg said:
Pretty sure the Lions were the only team to ever get fined. But yeah, the Koetter situation was a lot like Gruden, where the whole reason they fired Lovie was so that they could keep Dirk, so it was obvious they were going with him.

BTW, apparently they tweaked the rule this year to discourage token interviews:

The QB stereotyping has definitely gotten better, but I'm old enough to remember when draft experts were saying Lamar Jackson would have to switch to WR.
He should have...or RB.  5 TDs and a high water mark of 204 yards in 7 games isn't going to cut it.  Mayfield had 13 TDs and top 200 yards in 6 of his first 7 games.

He should have...or RB.  5 TDs and a high water mark of 204 yards in 7 games isn't going to cut it.  Mayfield had 13 TDs and top 200 yards in 6 of his first 7 games.
Eh, we'll see how he develops over the next couple years. But Ravens don't make the playoffs with Flacco throwing to Jackson.

You would think that would be the case.  On a certain level, the RR seems to be a bizarre concept.  If you had an organization adverse to a minority hiring, what do you gain my forcing a minority interview?  It seems like more of a disservice to the minority candidate.
I mentioned this earlier, but in a world where every NFL front office is filled with racists, the RR would be useless. In a world where they're all completely racially enlightened, it would be unnecessary. It only makes sense if you believe in the concept of implicit bias. Now, I happen to believe that the science proving the existence of implicit bias is pretty settled, but I get that some people in this thread don't think that, and I've realized that without that baseline agreement, there's not really any point in debating the merits of the RR. It would be like discussing the details of a carbon tax with someone who doesn't believe in man-made climate change. You're talking past each other.

I don't know a ton about Bienemy, other than that I remember him when he played for Colorado (and also that he had one of the all-time Chris Berman nicknames). I will say that I think your post reflects what seems to be the conventional wisdom these days, and in a copycat league like the NFL, there is always a risk that the CW becomes so fixed it creates a bubble, where so many people are chasing the exact same type of coach that they run out of good options and start hiring bad ones. That doesn't mean we're at that point yet, and it certainly doesnt mean Bienemy will be a bad hire, but considering I'm pretty sure at least one team this offseason gave a HC interview to a dude solely because he was once in a room where McVay farted, it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

(I also kind of liked the Broncos approach. They sort of copied the Rams, too, but not in the same way everyone else did. Their takeaway from LA's experience was "Bring in a HC and let him control his side of the ball, then bring in a veteran with no interest in being a HC again to run the other side.")

As for Caldwell, I agree that he shouldn't (and won't) get another shot, but part of me kind of hopes he does, for two reasons. One, as a Lions fan, I'm always holding out hope that someone will finally break the streak of former Lions HCs never getting another head coaching job. Thought Schwartz would pull it off last offseason, but alas.

Two, I remember reading an article about Byron Leftwich when he was playing for the Jaguars that argued he was a racial pioneer: the first black QB to defy the Cunningham-Vick athletic stereotype and just be a mediocre, talent-limited game manager. I feel like Caldwell could do the same for mediocre coaches. We'll know we've finally achieved racial equality when boring African American coaching retreads get rehired at the same rate as their Caucasian counterparts.  :lol:

(I also kind of liked the Broncos approach. They sort of copied the Rams, too, but not in the same way everyone else did. Their takeaway from LA's experience was "Bring in a HC and let him control his side of the ball, then bring in a veteran with no interest in being a HC again to run the other side.")
Yes the DC in Denver can work because Kubiak has no interest in a HC job again. Don't think he can handle the stress. So if their O takes off under him, they don't have to worry about other teams tapping him for a HC job and then Denver starts over with a new OC.

Now they just need to find a man to play QB.

It always amazes me how people act over race.  What is the problem?  Deal in facts, that is all it ever takes.  Look at how things actually are.  What is so hard about that? We do it with everything else but can't with race?

As for Caldwell, I agree that he shouldn't (and won't) get another shot, but part of me kind of hopes he does, for two reasons. One, as a Lions fan, I'm always holding out hope that someone will finally break the streak of former Lions HCs never getting another head coaching job. Thought Schwartz would pull it off last offseason, but alas.
I don’t understand the Caldwell hate. I understand he wasn’t a GREAT coach in Detroit, but he wasn’t so bad that he should never get another shot, was he?

He was above .500 in his 4 seasons there. Went to the playoffs twice and only had one losing season. I get that he never won a playoff game but good grief Detroit only went to the playoffs ONCE in the FOURTEEN season before he Caldwell got there. 

If it’s so important for the racial makeup of the coaches to better match that of the players, maybe we need more white players?

I’m only half joking and only to make a serious point: It’s not logical to assume discrimination is the cause of either ratio. You’d have to test other variables. Obviously the NFL has no interest in doing that; they’re rightly terrified of what they might find. The only logical move then is to drop it, to trust the owners to act in their best interest and interview and hire the best candidates, regardless of race.

It is strange when a league is predominantly african american and yet so few coaches are.  
I get what you're trying to say is that intuitively it feels wrong (and you're right) but really it's not strange at all when you realize it comes down to different opportunites--it's systemic. It's a tough conversation to have while keeping it football-related as it's not Shark Pool material. 

If it’s so important for the racial makeup of the coaches to better match that of the players, maybe we need more white players?

I’m only half joking and only to make a serious point: It’s not logical to assume discrimination is the cause of either ratio. You’d have to test other variables. Obviously the NFL has no interest in doing that; they’re rightly terrified of what they might find. The only logical move then is to drop it, to trust the owners to act in their best interest and interview and hire the best candidates, regardless of race.

The assumption of the Rooney Rule isn't necessarily that people only aren't getting interviews and jobs due to discrimination, though. Folded into it (and probably a much bigger factor) is just the difference in opportunities. The NFL is a nepotism-filled, incestual cocoon. Family lines get people jobs all the time. There's a lot going on here, systemically and societally, that contributes to this thing and I doubt the largest factor is out and out discrimination. That's what needs to be addressed, changing how candidates get into the coaching pipeline and how these opportunities come about. Then, slowly over time, you hope to see things change. 

The assumption of the Rooney Rule isn't necessarily that people only aren't getting interviews and jobs due to discrimination, though. Folded into it (and probably a much bigger factor) is just the difference in opportunities. The NFL is a nepotism-filled, incestual cocoon. Family lines get people jobs all the time. There's a lot going on here, systemically and societally, that contributes to this thing and I doubt the largest factor is out and out discrimination. That's what needs to be addressed, changing how candidates get into the coaching pipeline and how these opportunities come about. Then, slowly over time, you hope to see things change. 
If the goal is to fight nepotism then it makes no sense to bring race into the equation. The  only goal is to appear as though they’re taking seriously the question why are there so few black coaches? But they’re not willing or able to take that question seriously - it’s too risky - so we have this counterproductive mess of a rule instead.

Actually, it's entirely logical to assume discrimination is the cause of both ratios, because that's the society we live in. There's a ton of science on that. The idea that the cause might not be discrimination would be an extraordinary claim.

It's also entirely logical to assume that discrimination is the cause of over 93% of Fortune 500 CEOs being men, and over 96% being white or Asian. Again, there's a ton of science that when a bunch of white dudes are asked to evaluate "the best candidate," they tend to prefer other white dudes.

I'm still not a huge fan of the Rooney Rule in terms of policy, mostly because I don't think it really does much to fix the issue. But it's better than ignoring the discrimination which leads to our current situation. 

Actually, it's entirely logical to assume discrimination is the cause of both ratios, because that's the society we live in. There's a ton of science on that. The idea that the cause might not be discrimination would be an extraordinary claim.

It's also entirely logical to assume that discrimination is the cause of over 93% of Fortune 500 CEOs being men, and over 96% being white or Asian. Again, there's a ton of science that when a bunch of white dudes are asked to evaluate "the best candidate," they tend to prefer other white dudes.
Discrimination is the reason there are so few white cornerbacks? Because that’s the society we live in and there’s science on that? Can you point me to it?

There is almost certainly a myriad of factors. It’s not logical to assume the supremacy of any of them without testing them all. But they won’t do that - and they shouldn’t. 

Discrimination is the reason there are so few white cornerbacks? Because that’s the society we live in and there’s science on that? Can you point me to it?

There is almost certainly a myriad of factors. It’s not logical to assume the supremacy of any of them without testing them all. But they won’t do that - and they shouldn’t. 
You can start with "Perceptions of athletic superiority: A view from the other side", L.Harrison Jr. et al (2007) if you're actually interested in the question.

You can start with "Perceptions of athletic superiority: A view from the other side", L.Harrison Jr. et al (2007) if you're actually interested in the question.
I read the abstract and it doesn’t sound particularly interesting or promising to me. I’m interested in having a conversation if you are, but won’t be reading that.

Users who are viewing this thread