What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (19 Viewers)

thayman said:
From the article.....

The four-game ban robs the Redskins of a quarter-season's worth of their fearsome pass-rushing duo in Murphy and Ryan Kerrigan. 

I'm not sure anyone would describe that duo as fearsome
I hope Gallete is ready.

I hope Gallete is ready.
He's certainly rested.

Do other teams rely as much as the Redskins do on seriously injured players making comebacks? They've been relying on Galette for 2 years now, and they're relying on Doctson. Terrible strategy if you ask me. It'll be great if either of those guys can play, sure, but don't rely on it happening.

Cousins' latest comments:

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Kirk-Cousins-Wants-To-Add-To-The-Redskins-Great-History/302fbf44-689b-420d-ad9d-8a8d5023d128

“I want to be where I am wanted and that’s what I’ve said all along,” Cousins said. “When a team is willing to step up and commit to me fully for the long haul, then why would I want to be anywhere else? This is an incredible fan base; it’s one of the top five fan bases in the history of the NFL. It goes all the way back to the early 1930s, three Super Bowl trophies, multiple hall of famers and high character players still living in the area like Darrell Green and Art Monk, guys who we can learn from.

“I love this organization and want to see us get back to those glory days that they had with Coach [Joe] Gibbs in the 80s and early 90s. I want to add to that great history. There is really no reason to look elsewhere. It’s a matter of wanting to be where you are wanted. I think that’s what all of us want, not just in football but in any walk of life.”

In the middle of the usual refrain: "I want to be where I'm wanted" is a new wrinkle:  "I love this organization and want to see us get back to those glory days that they had with Coach Gibbs in the 80s and early 90s." 

Woah. This is different than all the commentators who say, "Kirk wants out.  He'll never make a deal with Bruce Allen.  He's just biding his time."  So either those stories are not accurate and he would consider signing OR Kirk is a liar the likes of which puts Bruce Allen to shame.  I'm thinking based on his general background and demeaner its more likely the former.

Several things here:

1. Ball squarely in Redskins court.  He's telling you your offer stinks.  But, he's also letting the public know, clearly:  "Bruce is not going to say later that they tried everything they could and I just wanted to play for Kyle."  Essentially he's outflanking Bruce in the court of public opinion.  So to the Skins:   If you aren't going to raise it, then fine that's a football decision but then you MUST move him at the draft, because you will never sign hm for 20 M per year. 

2.  While this article is all over the Internet, it's interesting to me that this reference was on "Redskins.com" ... so not Wash Po or PFT...this is the the Redskins official web site.  That is interesting to me, as clearly the team is not interested in burying this.

3.  His comments about the Gibbs era speak directly to Little Danny, who longs and pines for that long gone era, the era which he personally destroyed and desecrated I might add!

Anyway, I just think -- gives some hope that KC would be open to deal.  But, only open to deal that's representative of his perceived fair market value.  My prediction:  unfortunately if it hasn't happened yet, I'm not hopeful it will happen.  Just hope if they don't ink him by next week they trade him to get something.

My other prediction:  we won't sign KC, we'll have money for other things. THen we will end up being worse with poor Quarterback play.  And all the people saying KC was an average schmuck we shouldn't sign will just have a new thing to put the Redskins down for.  I don't want this prediction to be right but my head tells me that if they haven't signed him yet, it's more likely they are looking for a deal at the draft.  Otherwise, why wait.

In the middle of the usual refrain: "I want to be where I'm wanted" is a new wrinkle:  "I love this organization and want to see us get back to those glory days that they had with Coach Gibbs in the 80s and early 90s." 

Woah. This is different than all the commentators who say, "Kirk wants out.  He'll never make a deal with Bruce Allen.  He's just biding his time."
Not necessarily.  He could be subtly saying "Back in the Gibbs days, you didn't have a GM who completely ####ed things up.  I want to play for a team with that level of stability."

Not necessarily.  He could be subtly saying "Back in the Gibbs days, you didn't have a GM who completely ####ed things up.  I want to play for a team with that level of stability."
It's all a moot point anyway if Little Danny and Brucie VP of Pants and Picnics never up their offer...

It's all a moot point anyway if Little Danny and Brucie VP of Pants and Picnics never up their offer...
Not that I trust the Front Office to be able to keep negotiations private, but I think the sentiment from Cousins above is that the amount of the contract isn't the most important thing to him.  They may very well be offering something acceptable but he's not signing because he has aspirations to play for a well-run franchise.

Not that I trust the Front Office to be able to keep negotiations private, but I think the sentiment from Cousins above is that the amount of the contract isn't the most important thing to him.  They may very well be offering something acceptable but he's not signing because he has aspirations to play for a well-run franchise.
But he does say "I want us to get back to..." etc.

So I'm inclined to take his comments at face value.  But what do I know?  I thought they should have signed him last offseason.

Pre-Draft outlook: My birthday is on Monday, May 1st. The greatest birthday present I could hope for is that Kirk Cousins is still here when the Draft is over. If he is, I reserve the right to re-evaluate this entire write-up. For now, please don't hate me too much. It isn't pretty.

Week 1: vs Eagles - if there's ever a game you're guaranteed to have a majority home crowd at FedEx, it's the Home Opener. The Eagles fan base LOVES to head south down I-95 to infest FedEx, and there have been games in recent history where it sure seemed like there were as many, if not more Eagles fans in the crowd than Redskins fans. Well, #### the Eagles, say I...If Cousins is our QB come September 10, I think we're going to be the more 'ready' Team in Week 1 to perform up to expectations than the Birds. I think he'll be here. Win with Cousins. Without Cousins, toss-up.

Week 2: @ Rams - Hello, Sean McVay! The Rams have a lot of work to do, but they have a solid D, McVay will be committed to getting production from Gurley, and who knows Cousins better than his former OC. We'll have to rely on our D getting to Goff, and at this point in time, I'm not sure we're disruptive enough. Early on, before they know exactly what they are, I think one thing for sure: Rams will play intense at home, and this is their 2nd in a row at home after opening vs Colts, while we travel. In what's going to be a repetitive theme, I find it hard to believe we match up well right now with teams who run the ball effectively and play tough D. No matter who plays QB, this is a toss-up.

Week 3: vs Raiders (Sunday Night Football) - Prime-time matchup against one the AFC's stronger Teams. At least it's here, but much of the West traveling East advantage is lost by the game being at night, and Raiders play home vs Jets in Week 2, so they'll have a normal prep schedule. Unfortunately, even with Cousins, I see this as a toss-up.

Week 4: @ Chiefs (Monday Night Football) - well, at least we play at home the week prior, even if it is SNF, so the prep schedule isn't affected. Chiefs are @ Chargers the week prior, so while the extra day helps, it helps both teams. Once again, I see the Chiefs as one of the AFC's better teams, and winning on the road is tough, and that's a legitimately tough home atmosphere. They play the Eagles in Week 2, so the game film they will break down for that game will be our Week 1 game vs Philly, so they'll be scouting us ahead of time. Really tough game. Going to have to predict a loss here, regardless of who's playing QB.

Week 5: Bye - geez, for a non-playoff Team, this is a brutal start to the schedule. I usually prefer a mid-Season bye, but we may need this early one to regroup. Even a healthy Cousins-led Team is hard to project as anything better than 2-2, IMHO.

Week 6: vs 49'ers - Hello, Kyle Shanahan and Pierre Garcon! Hello Kirk Cousins? Finally, we get a break, and even it has a caveat. Home game coming off the bye, 1PM East Coast game vs a West Coast team, and this will be the 49'ers 3rd straight road game (Cardinals, Colts, Redskins), and given that progression, they probably won't be going home between games. That's a brutal stretch for any Team, and the 9'ers are a project. By Week 6, they'll have also hosted the Panthers for their Season-opener, and played @ Seahawks and vs Rams. Morale may be pretty low by the time we get them here in a good spot. Let's get the post-bye schedule off to a good start with a W. As long as Kirk is playing this game wearing the Burgundy and Gold. I don't even want to think about the alternative.

Week 7: @ Eagles (Monday Night Football) - extra day to prepare for a short trip up I-95, coming off what hopes to be a morale-boosting win, countered by an Eagles team who's had 11 days to rest and prepare for this game after @ Panthers on Thursday, October 12. Interesting for the Eagles: short trip to Carolina, 11 days rest, followed by 3 straight home games (Redskins, 49'ers, Broncos), followed by their Bye Week. They'll need every bit of that cushion for a brutal 7-game stretch run with only 1 game (vs Bears) that looks like a W. Here we go again: with Cousins, I think we take this. Without, toss-up.

Week 8: vs Cowboys - short road trip helps short prep week helps some, and I think we'll have some momentum. Cowboys off in Week 6, but travel to SF before trekking all the way across the country for 2nd straight road contest. Still, this is a toss-up at best, the way I see it. Boys are absolutely legit, and always seem to find a way to break our hearts.

Week 9: @ Seahawks - does anyone else look at our recent schedules and feel like the Seahawks are in our Division? Seems like we play them every Season. Never fun to play them in Seattle, and they'll have hosted, and likely toasted, the Texans the week prior. If we're a middle-of-the-pack Team through 7 games, they might look past us with a Thursday night Divisional matchup @ Cardinals looming, but Pete Carroll/Russell Wilson and that defense aren't that team, and it sure seems like they have our number. Hard to see us winning this one, even with Kirk at the helm.

Week 10: vs Vikings - Vikings coming off their Bye Week, and will have played 5 of their previous 8 games at home - they may look a little better than they really are, As with every game so far, without Cousins, I project almost every game as a toss-up or loss. With Cousins, we get it done at home.

Week 11: @ Saints - the NFL has fully evolved into a passing League, and playing on the road vs one of the NFL's best QB's and a ferocious home crowd, I just don't see it, even with the Saints traveling from Buffalo the week prior. With Kirk, it could be one helluva shootout, though. Great game to watch, regardless of outcome - might come down to last team with ball wins with a total in the 60's.

Week 12: vs Giants - We finally host a Thanksgiving Day (well, night) game, and we draw a short week vs a tough Divisional opponent taking a short trip down I-95 off a home game vs Chiefs. Short week for Giants, too, yes, but they'll be more rested than we are. At least we'll get Josh Norman vs OBJr. for our viewing pleasure, which should help the tryptophan hangover. Thanksgiving is hands-down the best food holiday on the calendar. Tough for me to predict a bad case of indigestion, but alas, I must, as I don't see the Giants regressing.

Week 13: @ Cowboys (Thursday Night Football) - Hey now, NFL! While the Thanksgiving Day Teams usually get the 'bonus' of an 11-day rest the NFL chooses to 'bone us' by sending us on the road for a prime-time Thursday Night game at Dallas. That's right: @ Saints, vs Giants (SNF), @ Cowboys is a 3 game stretch in 11 days. Sure Dallas plays on Thanksgiving as well, but they do so every year, at home, and have their prep schedule down to a science. Cowboys also play 3 in 11, but all at home and Eagles, Chargers, Redskins isn't nearly as tough as the row we're hoe-ing. This is a really ####ty spot for the Redskins, and it's I think it's going to take nothing short of a miracle to come out of this one with a W.

Week 14: @ Chargers - nothing like an extended road trip, and thanks to November having only 30 days, we get shafted out of an extra day of rest! Nice. Another potential track meet, at least, so at least we're in for some fireworks, if we can generate enough gas in the tank. Chargers have a shorter week, but it's a normal one, and they'll be coming off a home tilt vs the Browns, which might well be as competitive as a preseason game, so they'll be ready to rumble. Well, at least we finally got that long-awaited Thanksgiving Day (night) game!

Week 15: vs Cardinals - Back to the friendly confines of FedEx Field, where we last saw the 'skins host the G-Men on Thanksgiving Day (night). For some reason, I think our fan base is going to be 'in a mood', and quite likely not a good one. Well, we get a West Coast team traveling east for a 1pm game...but not so fast, my friends! Cards will be coming off a 3 game home stretch featuring the Jaguars, Rams and Titans - not exactly a Murderer's Row. The one thing we potentially have going for us is that IMHO, the Cardinals are a feast-or-famine Team in 2017, depending on Carson Palmer. If he's done, this is likely an ugly game between 2 teams looking up from the bottom, especially if we're sans Cousins. Unfortunately, I think this is his Swan Song, and he goes out on a high note, helped by a vicious David Johnson-led running game and a scary D. Lots of variables here to predict anything better than a toss-up.

Week 16: vs Broncos - while we've played our share of Teams who enjoy 3-game home stretches, the NFL has blessed us with our first back-to-back home stretch in Weeks 15-16, and we draw the Cardinals and Broncos. Denver comes our way via Indianapolis, but that's a Thursday-nighter, so they'll enjoy some extra rest and probably won't go home, which mitigates the 1pm start. Until I see different, I'm just not sure our Team, as it's currently constructed, can compete with teams who can run the ball well and have a strong defense, so it's tough for me to see a positive outcome here. Kirk's presence would make me call this a toss-up.

Week 17: @ Giants - New Year's Eve (Day) in the Big Apple. Where else would you want to be on New Year's Eve? Unless you're the Redskins, I'm afraid. Talk about a raucous home crowd, with the Giants probably playing for a post-Season berth, and the Redskins playing out the string as the 2017 Season and calendar year end on the same day. With Cousins, maybe we have some post-season aspirations as well, but I think that's the height of optimism, and by nature I'm not an optimist.

Well, 5 'prime-time' games. I'm going to enjoy them because I'm not sure we're going to have many in 2018.

I've predicted quite a few toss-ups. I hope I'm not tossing up my cookies on several Sundays, but I predict I probably will be.

7th toughest Schedule with 8 games vs +.500 Teams from 2016, and 7 games vs 2016 Playoff Teams. Wow. Some way for Jay Gruden to enter the first year of the 1st Coach contract extension ever handed out by Dan Snyder. I hope he doesn't regret it and it winds up predicating his decision making process going forward. After this first run-through, I think it's entirely possible that Jay could get fired if Kirk is on the Team, and we're mired in mediocrity. Strange that with Kirk, we also have our best chance to come out of this with a shot at extra games, but even with him, it looks to me like the deck is stacked against us. It seems like there are just too many opponents who can run and play D. So, ironically, it's possible that Gruden's best chance to keep his job is if Cousins is playing elsewhere, yet Kirk is Jay's guy. Paradox. I like Jay. I like Kirk more. I hope he's here this Season, regardless of an extension, and I hope like hell we make some massive improvements on defense between now and September, and I'm singing a happier tune around Christmas. 9-7, 8-8, 7-9 again? Or downright ugly? IMHO...a toss-up.

Pre-Draft outlook: My birthday is on Monday, May 1st. The greatest birthday present I could hope for is that Kirk Cousins is still here when the Draft is over. If he is, I reserve the right to re-evaluate this entire write-up. For now, please don't hate me too much. It isn't pretty.

Week 1: vs Eagles - if there's ever a game you're guaranteed to have a majority home crowd at FedEx, it's the Home Opener. The Eagles fan base LOVES to head south down I-95 to infest FedEx, and there have been games in recent history where it sure seemed like there were as many, if not more Eagles fans in the crowd than Redskins fans. Well, #### the Eagles, say I...If Cousins is our QB come September 10, I think we're going to be the more 'ready' Team in Week 1 to perform up to expectations than the Birds. I think he'll be here. Win with Cousins. Without Cousins, toss-up.

Week 2: @ Rams - Hello, Sean McVay! The Rams have a lot of work to do, but they have a solid D, McVay will be committed to getting production from Gurley, and who knows Cousins better than his former OC. We'll have to rely on our D getting to Goff, and at this point in time, I'm not sure we're disruptive enough. Early on, before they know exactly what they are, I think one thing for sure: Rams will play intense at home, and this is their 2nd in a row at home after opening vs Colts, while we travel. In what's going to be a repetitive theme, I find it hard to believe we match up well right now with teams who run the ball effectively and play tough D. No matter who plays QB, this is a toss-up.

Week 3: vs Raiders (Sunday Night Football) - Prime-time matchup against one the AFC's stronger Teams. At least it's here, but much of the West traveling East advantage is lost by the game being at night, and Raiders play home vs Jets in Week 2, so they'll have a normal prep schedule. Unfortunately, even with Cousins, I see this as a toss-up.

Week 4: @ Chiefs (Monday Night Football) - well, at least we play at home the week prior, even if it is SNF, so the prep schedule isn't affected. Chiefs are @ Chargers the week prior, so while the extra day helps, it helps both teams. Once again, I see the Chiefs as one of the AFC's better teams, and winning on the road is tough, and that's a legitimately tough home atmosphere. They play the Eagles in Week 2, so the game film they will break down for that game will be our Week 1 game vs Philly, so they'll be scouting us ahead of time. Really tough game. Going to have to predict a loss here, regardless of who's playing QB.

Week 5: Bye - geez, for a non-playoff Team, this is a brutal start to the schedule. I usually prefer a mid-Season bye, but we may need this early one to regroup. Even a healthy Cousins-led Team is hard to project as anything better than 2-2, IMHO.

Week 6: vs 49'ers - Hello, Kyle Shanahan and Pierre Garcon! Hello Kirk Cousins? Finally, we get a break, and even it has a caveat. Home game coming off the bye, 1PM East Coast game vs a West Coast team, and this will be the 49'ers 3rd straight road game (Cardinals, Colts, Redskins), and given that progression, they probably won't be going home between games. That's a brutal stretch for any Team, and the 9'ers are a project. By Week 6, they'll have also hosted the Panthers for their Season-opener, and played @ Seahawks and vs Rams. Morale may be pretty low by the time we get them here in a good spot. Let's get the post-bye schedule off to a good start with a W. As long as Kirk is playing this game wearing the Burgundy and Gold. I don't even want to think about the alternative.

Week 7: @ Eagles (Monday Night Football) - extra day to prepare for a short trip up I-95, coming off what hopes to be a morale-boosting win, countered by an Eagles team who's had 11 days to rest and prepare for this game after @ Panthers on Thursday, October 12. Interesting for the Eagles: short trip to Carolina, 11 days rest, followed by 3 straight home games (Redskins, 49'ers, Broncos), followed by their Bye Week. They'll need every bit of that cushion for a brutal 7-game stretch run with only 1 game (vs Bears) that looks like a W. Here we go again: with Cousins, I think we take this. Without, toss-up.

Week 8: vs Cowboys - short road trip helps short prep week helps some, and I think we'll have some momentum. Cowboys off in Week 6, but travel to SF before trekking all the way across the country for 2nd straight road contest. Still, this is a toss-up at best, the way I see it. Boys are absolutely legit, and always seem to find a way to break our hearts.

Week 9: @ Seahawks - does anyone else look at our recent schedules and feel like the Seahawks are in our Division? Seems like we play them every Season. Never fun to play them in Seattle, and they'll have hosted, and likely toasted, the Texans the week prior. If we're a middle-of-the-pack Team through 7 games, they might look past us with a Thursday night Divisional matchup @ Cardinals looming, but Pete Carroll/Russell Wilson and that defense aren't that team, and it sure seems like they have our number. Hard to see us winning this one, even with Kirk at the helm.

Week 10: vs Vikings - Vikings coming off their Bye Week, and will have played 5 of their previous 8 games at home - they may look a little better than they really are, As with every game so far, without Cousins, I project almost every game as a toss-up or loss. With Cousins, we get it done at home.

Week 11: @ Saints - the NFL has fully evolved into a passing League, and playing on the road vs one of the NFL's best QB's and a ferocious home crowd, I just don't see it, even with the Saints traveling from Buffalo the week prior. With Kirk, it could be one helluva shootout, though. Great game to watch, regardless of outcome - might come down to last team with ball wins with a total in the 60's.

Week 12: vs Giants - We finally host a Thanksgiving Day (well, night) game, and we draw a short week vs a tough Divisional opponent taking a short trip down I-95 off a home game vs Chiefs. Short week for Giants, too, yes, but they'll be more rested than we are. At least we'll get Josh Norman vs OBJr. for our viewing pleasure, which should help the tryptophan hangover. Thanksgiving is hands-down the best food holiday on the calendar. Tough for me to predict a bad case of indigestion, but alas, I must, as I don't see the Giants regressing.

Week 13: @ Cowboys (Thursday Night Football) - Hey now, NFL! While the Thanksgiving Day Teams usually get the 'bonus' of an 11-day rest the NFL chooses to 'bone us' by sending us on the road for a prime-time Thursday Night game at Dallas. That's right: @ Saints, vs Giants (SNF), @ Cowboys is a 3 game stretch in 11 days. Sure Dallas plays on Thanksgiving as well, but they do so every year, at home, and have their prep schedule down to a science. Cowboys also play 3 in 11, but all at home and Eagles, Chargers, Redskins isn't nearly as tough as the row we're hoe-ing. This is a really ####ty spot for the Redskins, and it's I think it's going to take nothing short of a miracle to come out of this one with a W.

Week 14: @ Chargers - nothing like an extended road trip, and thanks to November having only 30 days, we get shafted out of an extra day of rest! Nice. Another potential track meet, at least, so at least we're in for some fireworks, if we can generate enough gas in the tank. Chargers have a shorter week, but it's a normal one, and they'll be coming off a home tilt vs the Browns, which might well be as competitive as a preseason game, so they'll be ready to rumble. Well, at least we finally got that long-awaited Thanksgiving Day (night) game!

Week 15: vs Cardinals - Back to the friendly confines of FedEx Field, where we last saw the 'skins host the G-Men on Thanksgiving Day (night). For some reason, I think our fan base is going to be 'in a mood', and quite likely not a good one. Well, we get a West Coast team traveling east for a 1pm game...but not so fast, my friends! Cards will be coming off a 3 game home stretch featuring the Jaguars, Rams and Titans - not exactly a Murderer's Row. The one thing we potentially have going for us is that IMHO, the Cardinals are a feast-or-famine Team in 2017, depending on Carson Palmer. If he's done, this is likely an ugly game between 2 teams looking up from the bottom, especially if we're sans Cousins. Unfortunately, I think this is his Swan Song, and he goes out on a high note, helped by a vicious David Johnson-led running game and a scary D. Lots of variables here to predict anything better than a toss-up.

Week 16: vs Broncos - while we've played our share of Teams who enjoy 3-game home stretches, the NFL has blessed us with our first back-to-back home stretch in Weeks 15-16, and we draw the Cardinals and Broncos. Denver comes our way via Indianapolis, but that's a Thursday-nighter, so they'll enjoy some extra rest and probably won't go home, which mitigates the 1pm start. Until I see different, I'm just not sure our Team, as it's currently constructed, can compete with teams who can run the ball well and have a strong defense, so it's tough for me to see a positive outcome here. Kirk's presence would make me call this a toss-up.

Week 17: @ Giants - New Year's Eve (Day) in the Big Apple. Where else would you want to be on New Year's Eve? Unless you're the Redskins, I'm afraid. Talk about a raucous home crowd, with the Giants probably playing for a post-Season berth, and the Redskins playing out the string as the 2017 Season and calendar year end on the same day. With Cousins, maybe we have some post-season aspirations as well, but I think that's the height of optimism, and by nature I'm not an optimist.

Well, 5 'prime-time' games. I'm going to enjoy them because I'm not sure we're going to have many in 2018.

I've predicted quite a few toss-ups. I hope I'm not tossing up my cookies on several Sundays, but I predict I probably will be.

7th toughest Schedule with 8 games vs +.500 Teams from 2016, and 7 games vs 2016 Playoff Teams. Wow. Some way for Jay Gruden to enter the first year of the 1st Coach contract extension ever handed out by Dan Snyder. I hope he doesn't regret it and it winds up predicating his decision making process going forward. After this first run-through, I think it's entirely possible that Jay could get fired if Kirk is on the Team, and we're mired in mediocrity. Strange that with Kirk, we also have our best chance to come out of this with a shot at extra games, but even with him, it looks to me like the deck is stacked against us. It seems like there are just too many opponents who can run and play D. So, ironically, it's possible that Gruden's best chance to keep his job is if Cousins is playing elsewhere, yet Kirk is Jay's guy. Paradox. I like Jay. I like Kirk more. I hope he's here this Season, regardless of an extension, and I hope like hell we make some massive improvements on defense between now and September, and I'm singing a happier tune around Christmas. 9-7, 8-8, 7-9 again? Or downright ugly? IMHO...a toss-up.
Not mad at you at all.  Actually think you are being fairly optimistic labeling the season a "toss up" -- even if Cousins does end up starting.  This is a legit tough schedule for a team that didn't make the playoffs.  There are zero easy division games + non-division schedule is very challenging:  AFC West sports 3 great teams in Broncos, Raiders and Chiefs, and Chargers don't suck -- then you get teams like Seattle, Arizona and New Orleans who are still very potent.  Rams, Vikings and 49ers are among the more winnable non-division teams, but those teams either up and coming or still have weapons that make them dangerous.  .That last category I mentioned was only 3 of 16, so yeah, the season could go a lot of ways.

I will say if Cousins flies this season I think we will only win 3 or 4 games.  I'm going to come right out and predict right now that those thinking that we don't lose much with McCoy are not correct.  I've been a Redskins fan all my life, and I've seen us jettison "good" QBs before in seach for better one "somewhere out there."  This is not new behavior for us.  For instance, I remember jettisoning Brad Johnson -- he was just average remember, he didn't have an arm like Jeff George for gosh sakes! -- then he left the Skins and won a Super Bowl, with us left in mediocrity.  

But yeah, even with Cousins it's going to be a challenge.  With Cousins, if we get some breaks, we at least have a chance at the wild card.  Imagine splitting the division (3 wins), then perhaps trying to steal wins from San Fran, LA Rams, LA Chargers, Minn Vikings for 7 wins.  Then hope to get some breaks and take 2 or 3 from the group of Seattle, Arizona, New Orleans, Raiders, Chiefs, and Broncos (2-4 or 3-3 vs. this group) and at least I see a *path* to the playoffs, particularly if we improve on defense.  But to do so, several things have to happen:  a.) Cousins plays, b.) we improve on defense, c.) we cut down on penalties and turnovers which often enable you to win or lose those close games that impact the margins.  Note that I am NOT predicting 9-7 or 10-6 -- I just think there is a small chance of it if we click on all cylinders.  More likely we make mistakes in a few games which shifts the balance back to 6-8 wins.  But we will see..."that's why they play the game on the field."

There are also a lot of interesting storylines, even if we don't make the playoffs:  a.) how does the new WR corp do...Pryor and Doctson for real? b.) does the D improve?  c) Do we get a new RB in there who could make a difference?

The season -- at least starting out -- appears to be watchable and it's not completely out of line to have hope, but it is certainly tenuous and could implode if we do not execute without mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Within days of the season-ending loss to the Giants that lacked fight and heart, Coach Jay Gruden fired defensive coordinator Joe Barry and let go his defensive line and secondary coaches. Then, the squad allowed linemen Chris Baker and Ricky Jean Francois to depart via free agency.

Relative Need: Significant.

The Redskins will stick with the 3-4 defense under coordinator Greg Manusky, their former outside linebackers coach, and count on Jim Tomsula, himself a former head coach and longtime defensive line coach, to elevate the performance in the trenches. To that end, the team signed a pair of defensive tackles to long-term deals in free agency, giving former Dallas Cowboy Terrell McClain, 28, a four-year deal worth upward of $21 million and landing Stacy McGee, 27, via a five-year contract worth roughly $25 million.

The Redskins hope McClain will bring consistency, run-stuffing skills and the ability to demonstrate what a top-rated defense looks like and what’s required to become one. Gruden believes the best is yet to come from McClain, who some regard as a late bloomer. With both signings, the Redskins hope they have the building blocks of an overdue defensive overhaul. But they don’t yet have their nose tackle identified, although the returning Ziggy Hood is an option.

According to Gruden, Tomsula has assured him that he can fashion a starting-caliber nose tackle from just about anywhere in the draft.

“He’ll make a nose guard,” Gruden told reporters at the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix last month. “If you look at his track record, [and] you look at the nose guards [that] he’s had, none of them have been priority first-round draft choices. He’s made nose guards. He coaches that position extremely well, and I have faith that he’ll do that.”
I bolded the part that leaves me feeling our rush defense will suck again this season.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/04/19/2017-nfl-draft-redskins-upgraded-the-defensive-line-in-free-agency-but-is-that-enough/

The left guard spot was the weak link on the chain last year. Lauvao was charged with 32 QB hurries, by far the most on the team. Whether it’s Lauvao becoming fully healthy (a 2015 ankle injury limited him for the offseason program last year) or Kouandjio or another starter from the draft, the position has to be better in 2017.

Another factor that will help is Trent Williams being available for 16 games. Yes, Nsekhe is a very good backup. But in four starts Nsekhe allowed a sack plus 13 pressures. Williams started 12 games and allowed two sacks and 14 pressures. They are paying Williams $11.25 million this year for a reason.

Trent Williams, Long, Scherff, Moses and Nsekhe are locks. Lauvao and Kouandjio are close but the draft could have an impact on them
http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/2017-redskins-depth-chart-preview-offensive-line

On third down, when most teams are expected to pass the ball, the Redskins got just 12 sacks on 166 pass attempts. That was tied for seventh-fewest in the league.

It’s easy to see the linkage from this to the Redskins league-worst third down defense that gave up first downs on 46.6 percent of opponents’ attempts. The time opposing quarterbacks had to pass was a factor in the passer rating of 110.3 that they posted on third down. The composite passer rating for all third-down pass attempts throughout the league last year was 86.1.

How bad was Joe Barry?

One of the areas the Redskins needed to improve last year was their rushing defense on first down. In 2015, they gave up 5.0 yards per carry on first down. That was the worst performance in the league. It’s pretty tough to play defense when a handoff makes it second and five. The Saints, who had a historically bad defense that year, were second, fiving up 4.8 yards a pop.

Well, it was no better for the Redskins defense in 2016. Again, they gave up 5.0 yards per carry on first down, again the worst performance in the league.  Remember, this is on first down, when teams are most likely to run.

The Redskins’ problems on third down were well known. They were dead last in the league allowing first downs on 46.6 percent of third-down attempts. For context, an average performance on third down is allowing about 38 percent and the best teams are around 35 percent.

That doesn’t tell the whole story, however. The Redskins weren’t very good at getting teams to third down. They allowed first downs on 33.8 percent of their opponents’ second-down plays. That put them in the bottom third of the league. Again, you don’t have to look too hard to connect the dots to link that back to the five yards per rushing play on first down. Second and five is a piece of cake most of the time.

You don’t need an advanced degree in statistical analysis to figure out that the Redskins defense isn’t going to get much better if they can’t stop teams from running the ball on first down.

It’s easy to point to the defensive line, which has not been very good, and say that the problem is there. That certainly has something to do with it. But the Redskins didn’t have a very good D-line in 2014 and they allowed 4.1 yards per first-down rushing attempt, a performance that was right at the league average.

The factor that was common in 2015 and 2016 and was different in 2014 was the defensive coordinator. It’s possible that opposing teams found a flaw to exploit in Joe Barry’s scheme that wasn’t there in Jim Haslett’s (which surely had flaws in other places).

Scot McCloughan is gone, but he’ll still have an impact on the Washington Redskins' draft. That’s because he helped develop their draft board and because he made a decision two years ago that led to more intimate scouting.

The Redskins fired McCloughan in March after two seasons as their general manager. Before that, he obviously played a role in shaping their draft with his evaluation of players. Their board has not stayed the same since he was fired on March 9, but the blueprint for what the Redskins want to do had already been drawn.
Campbell said he benefitted from a change McCloughan made two years ago. He told Campbell to just focus on the draft; under former coach Mike Shanahan and in Jay Gruden’s first season, Campbell oversaw both the college and pro side. That, he said, restricted his travel to pro days.

This is the third offseason Campbell could hit the road.

“To me, that’s been the biggest difference and has allowed me to really get a feel for guys and in turn help him because he was the one trapped here more at the office, so to bring back more information to him,” Campbell said.

He pointed to an example of how that travel helped: Seeing receiver Jamison Crowder at his pro day. The Redskins drafted him in the fourth round of the 2015 draft; the coaches feel he’ll be their best receiver this season.

When Campbell returned from Crowder’s pro day, he told his boss, “This guy was outstanding. If we’re interested in a slot-type guy that can be an excellent punt returner, this would be a guy.”

Crowder ran the 40-yard dash in 4.56 seconds at the combine. He ran a 4.39 at his pro day.
John Keim

Questions from Mike Jones:

Will the Redskins trade Kirk Cousins? Will they draft a replacement either to take over now or groom for the future? Will they legitimately try to fix their defense? Will they instead opt for more offensive firepower?
Guesses from me:

No, yes, no, yes.

:wall: :thumbup: :wall: :wall:

To go with your point about the positive trend around the Redskins draft day choices, this article from WashPo is interesting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/04/25/four-of-redskins-last-five-draft-classes-have-outperformed-expectations/?utm_term=.38d4550656b1

Four of Redskins’ last five draft classes have outperformed expectations

I think that might be a TE at pick 17.
To clarify, BPA doesn't have to be "Well we had an 88.2 grade on this guy and an 88.1 grade on the next guy so we have to take the 88.2 guy." That's where tiering comes in handy and treating guys as basically equal even if one rating is technically higher.

My guess is at 17 there are going to be a group of players that all rank about the same. In that situation, I'm ok with taking position into account. But, in no way should they pass up a significantly better player for a lesser player just because of position. If that player happens to be a TE, then I'm ok with it :shrug:  .

To clarify, BPA doesn't have to be "Well we had an 88.2 grade on this guy and an 88.1 grade on the next guy so we have to take the 88.2 guy." That's where tiering comes in handy and treating guys as basically equal even if one rating is technically higher.

My guess is at 17 there are going to be a group of players that all rank about the same. In that situation, I'm ok with taking position into account. But, in no way should they pass up a significantly better player for a lesser player just because of position. If that player happens to be a TE, then I'm ok with it :shrug:  .
I kind of disagree with you about that.

I think the grades are a good work tool, aimed at measuring "how good we think this player will be in the NFL". And although they're based on a lot of empirical information they also are based on a lot of opinion, and some guesswork.

The Skins certainly have a list of "players who would most likely help our team at pick 1.17", and if the top guy on that list happens to be at a position where the Skins are strong (with Reed and Davis in this case) then just move to the next guy. Similarly, if they had signed Cousins longterm, and the BPA at 1.17 was a QB, move to the next guy.

I'll call your bluff there. No way you'd be cool with at TE at 17. That would suck. I think there is a pretty good chance BPA at 17 will be a RB. 

Moses gets a 5yr extension. I'll take it.

Now lock up Kirk!
Good news on Moses. He would have cost a lot more next year, and they need him. Moses is half the reason Scherff is at guard. Scherff was drafted to be a tackle and was bad at it in camp. They may have stuck with him there but Moses, only a year older I believe, was outplaying him every day at tackle. So they solved 2 problems at once when they moved Scherff to guard, where he ain't no slouch at all.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Redskins and OT Morgan Moses reached agreement on 5-year extension that will make him NFL's 2nd highest paid RT, per @caplannfl and me.

That's why it made no sense to get rid of him before the draft or at all
I'm convinced that McCloughan (or "a general manager") was forced on Allen by Snyder, that Allen hated it and wanted the job back, and he did what he could to get McCloughan out of here. "In Scot We Trust" is probably something that'll piss him off for years.

I'm convinced that McCloughan (or "a general manager") was forced on Allen by Snyder, that Allen hated it and wanted the job back, and he did what he could to get McCloughan out of here. "In Scot We Trust" is probably something that'll piss him off for years.
...and there's a very high degree of likelihood that you are correct. Bruce Allen is a glorified accountant that has been trading in NFL Circles off his father's name for years. It's no secret that he was ridden out on a rail from Tampa Bay after making a complete travishamockery of his role in that organization during his tenure there. There are plenty of verified stories from credible sports journalists down there about his ego writing checks his acumen couldn't cash. Sure, he's done a fine job resuscitating our Salary Cap, and we have every reason to acknowledge that and be grateful for his role there, as it was a one of many problematic situations that have plagued our Organization in the aftermath of JKC, but there were plenty of professionals from around the League who could have been hired to do exactly that without sticking their noses in the football operations/personnel side of the equation, and could use their gravitas to meddle in those things. That's not hating; it's the truth.

...and there's a very high degree of likelihood that you are correct. Bruce Allen is a glorified accountant that has been trading in NFL Circles off his father's name for years. It's no secret that he was ridden out on a rail from Tampa Bay after making a complete travishamockery of his role in that organization during his tenure there. There are plenty of verified stories from credible sports journalists down there about his ego writing checks his acumen couldn't cash. Sure, he's done a fine job resuscitating our Salary Cap, and we have every reason to acknowledge that and be grateful for his role there, as it was a one of many problematic situations that have plagued our Organization in the aftermath of JKC, but there were plenty of professionals from around the League who could have been hired to do exactly that without sticking their noses in the football operations/personnel side of the equation, and could use their gravitas to meddle in those things. That's not hating; it's the truth.
Allen is bad, I was really hoping the McCloughan/Allen marriage could work.  It's a real shame Allen doesn't recognize if he'd just focus on the numbers and listen to a great talent evaluator this team would be pretty good for years to come.

I'll call your bluff there. No way you'd be cool with at TE at 17. That would suck. I think there is a pretty good chance BPA at 17 will be a RB. 
Depends on how good he is and how much better he is than the next guy. Since we don't know how good the guys are going to be, I mostly care that the team approaches the draft with a BPA philosophy. Don't pass up the better player to fill an immediate need with a lesser player. 

#### Rappaport reporting Cleveland trying to trade for cousins....
I don't understand how that could happen?  All CLE would get is Cousins for this year under his franchise tag, and of course the rights to negotiate a new contract with him.  But Cousins could walk after 1 year unless they franchise him again.  Maybe I'm wrong, but i think that is right.  So why would anyone give up a ton of picks for a QB for 1 year.  

The only way this happens is if they had already planned it and had talked with Cousins's agent before draft, which I'm not even sure they were allowed to do w/o Skins permission.

Yep this is working out great, Cook or an elite defensive player. Hope Watson goes soon 

Is it bad that I am hoping we trade Cousins now?
I've been hoping this as well, thinking we're not going anywhere in the playoffs with him and right now we could get decent value for him in picks. I don't think it'll happen though. I don't think other teams value Cousins nearly as much as DMV media loves him, and ai don't think we'd get enough in return to keep Allen from getting killed in the media.

On another note, I'm glad to see QB's going too early this draft. Leaves that many more defensive players on the board.

Please don't draft a super-hard-worker-major-overachiever type. Players who play beyond their skills in college usually get humbled in the pros.

Users who are viewing this thread