What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (10 Viewers)

I’d be selling at his current price. It’s amazing that he has gained so much value with such a small sample, is coming off injury, and has off field issues. No thanks
Off field issues in the nFL? News to me if he had any. I think Cook's off field issues were less then what Mixon was dealing with. I have a High School Buddy who went to FSU on a LAX Scholarship who knows people in the football programs who played for FSU and ended up staying on in some capacity. Cook really matured after his first few yrs. Mixon is a guy I'd sell high because he's one bad move from having his ### kicked out of the league 

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree. If there is a coach/GM I believe in in terms of the vetting process, it is Zimmer and Spielman. The fact that Spielman traded up for him helps too. Small sample size I could care less about - kid was a first rounder in the draft because of his skill and tape and showed it in the NFL. ACL issue is a concern but those are so common these days... if we don't hear of any issues during training camp it is not something I'd be overly concerned about.

edit: However, I am curious if he has any fumbling issues this season (assuming it is a full season).
It’s a good thing he didn’t slip to the second round then.  That would probably be an indictment against his skill and tape.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree. If there is a coach/GM I believe in in terms of the vetting process, it is Zimmer and Spielman. The fact that Spielman traded up for him helps too. Small sample size I could care less about - kid was a first rounder in the draft because of his skill and tape and showed it in the NFL. ACL issue is a concern but those are so common these days... if we don't hear of any issues during training camp it is not something I'd be overly concerned about.

edit: However, I am curious if he has any fumbling issues this season (assuming it is a full season).
He only played in 3.5 games last year, you can see most of the good runs in the highlight clip.

On one of these runs the defender is attacking the ball, Cook and the defender kind of move together laterally as Cook is holding on to the ball and keeping the defender from ripping it out, but it does take enough of Cooks attention that he isn't able to break free of the defender.

He did not fumble the ball at all in those 3.5 games until the play where he is injured.

If you watch the clips you see that Cook is creating on his own with great vision and the ability to time and switch gaps in the defense. Its really good the way he runs.

He did great in pass protection in camp and the early games, another thing that people had questions about regarding Cook as a prospect. I agree we need to see more games, but he did about everything he could to put those two concerns, fumbling and pass protection behind him. He is capable of doing well in both of these areas based on how he played before being injured.

I’d be selling at his current price. It’s amazing that he has gained so much value with such a small sample, is coming off injury, and has off field issues. No thanks
Agree completely. My perception is that his value has actually gone up which is pretty wild considering he played in 4 games and suffered a major knee injury. 

Agree completely. My perception is that his value has actually gone up which is pretty wild considering he played in 4 games and suffered a major knee injury. 
He looked really good in those games and an ACL is no longer a major knee injury.

I am also wondering where

Off field issues in the nFL? News to me if he had any. I think Cook's off field issues were less then what Mixon was dealing with. I have a High School Buddy who went to FSU on a LAX Scholarship who knows people in the football programs who played for FSU and ended up staying on in some capacity. Cook really matured after his first few yrs. Mixon is a guy I'd sell high because he's one bad move from having his ### kicked out of the league 
Where are you even getting this crap from? Both guys had their issues in college, but neither has a strike in the NFL drug policy or any type of incident while in the NFL. If Goodell actually tried to kick either player out of the league after their first off the field incident while being part of the NFL I am sure the NFLPA would have a field day with it. Now if the owners refused to sign him that would be different .

He wasn't a 1st rounder 

Absolutely love Cook. You'd have to come with Barkley (1.1) plus something I really liked for me even to consider it.

In the end, I'd likely pass on a Barkley/Cook deal. Barkley is far from a sure thing & is somewhat overrated, IMO.

Cook's injury, as it stands now, is of no concern. I think a Barkley/Cook trade is typically the kind of deal that gets people in trouble (for the team acquiring Barkley).

I am also wondering where

Where are you even getting this crap from? Both guys had their issues in college, but neither has a strike in the NFL drug policy or any type of incident while in the NFL. If Goodell actually tried to kick either player out of the league after their first off the field incident while being part of the NFL I am sure the NFLPA would have a field day with it. Now if the owners refused to sign him that would be different .
I really wasn't talking here when the Mixon/Cook stuff took place but honestly if it was my team Mixon is the most concerning since his is more recent. I have zero sympathy for guys who hit a girl. I think you're a ####### ##### and honestly if I was the dad of one of those girls Mixon would be 7 ft under dirt right now. I don't give a #### what you do for a living. I was vehemently against the Eagles getting Mixon. It was bad enough we took the Dog Killer (I will say I'm happy Vick turned things around but I still think Vick shouldn't have been able to play in the NFL) and if I was an NFL owner I wouldn't even consider Mixon after what he did. I honestly would fully be for a rule in the NFL being applied any domestic instance or criminal charges for a guy in college DQ's you from the pro level and the dude can go pound sand. Sure neither one has a strike but given todays age of culture and all you honestly think If Mixon was charged with something similar again NFL teams would take a chance on him? He'd be released by Cincy and no one would sign him in fear of the backlash they got. Cook's issues were stupid misdimeanor charges many colleges kids get Also like I said a friend of mine knows people who work for FSU footballl and Cook was a Saint the last yr or so. First one in every day, last one out and didn't cause problems and became a leader.

Vikings trainer Eric Sugarman said Dalvin Cook (knee) has "knocked the rehab out of the park" in his return from a torn ACL.

"He'll participate in (OTAs and minicamp) on a limited basis," Sugarman said. "Then the plan is for him, hopefully when he gets to training camp, he’ll be a participant just like everybody else." It sounds like Cook is just about ready, but the team is going to bring him slowly through spring work with an eye toward having Cook ready to roll this summer. Cook is an RB1 heading into 2018.

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press 

Apr 24 - 8:34 PM

Has the love for Cook gone too far? I own him in my leagues and I'm happy about that, but I'm seeing rankings that have him as a top 5 dynasty RB, especially in PPR leagues. What is his dynasty value and is now possibly a time to sell? He's only played a handful of games, so it's possible he still improves and becomes a juggernaut, but it's also possible that he doesn't fully recover and is just ok.

Has the love for Cook gone too far? I own him in my leagues and I'm happy about that, but I'm seeing rankings that have him as a top 5 dynasty RB, especially in PPR leagues. What is his dynasty value and is now possibly a time to sell? He's only played a handful of games, so it's possible he still improves and becomes a juggernaut, but it's also possible that he doesn't fully recover and is just ok.
im a huge cook fan, but where in the heck are you seeing him as a top 5 guy?

Also a huge Cook fan but top 5 is a bit of a stretch.  EZE, Gurley, DJ, Bell, Barkley all have to be above him, and Kamara, Fournette, Hunt, and Freeman all have cases to be as well.  I'd sell pretty quick if someone's offering me that kind of trade value for him.

Also a huge Cook fan but top 5 is a bit of a stretch.  EZE, Gurley, DJ, Bell, Barkley all have to be above him, and Kamara, Fournette, Hunt, and Freeman all have cases to be as well.  I'd sell pretty quick if someone's offering me that kind of trade value for him.
he is currently at 8 on DLF

kamara, hunt, cook, LF, CMC

I could see him as high as 5 if you prefer his youth over Bell and DJ but it's so close for me after my big 3 it's splitting hairs worrying about if he my RB5 or RB7. What I know is for me he is in tier 2 with Bell/DJ and 4 other RB's from last years rookie class. Fair to say Kamara leads that tier for me, but again it's close.

I’m really surprised that there is no injury discount on Cook. He had 4 very good games last year but Murray was sidelined. Are we sure Murray isn’t going to steal GL work? Also it was only 4 games. How many times have we been fooled by RBs and small sample size in the past? Seems to happen at least once every year or 2.

Dynasty: With Guice, Chubb and Barkley off the board.

I’ve been offered 1.4 2018 and 1st 2019 (7-10) picks for Cook. Even though I’m stacked at the position I need more for Cook. The owner is a year removed from winning the Championship which I won last year. He’d be pairing Cook with Bell as his starting backfield. There’s no question I will likely see this owner during the playoffs. He has two high 2nd rounds this year and I want the 1st of the two and I’m not budging......I have no reason to.

Tex

I wouldn't take 1.04 and a future late 1st for him, not even close.  IF that 1.04 was OTC and Guice was there then it's getting closer and that 2nd probably gets it done.

I’m really surprised that there is no injury discount on Cook. He had 4 very good games last year but Murray was sidelined. Are we sure Murray isn’t going to steal GL work? Also it was only 4 games. How many times have we been fooled by RBs and small sample size in the past? Seems to happen at least once every year or 2.
He passed the eye test for me but I mostly agree with what you're saying here.

At the time Cook got injured Alex Smith was the #2 QB, Chris Thompson was the #6 RB, and Stefon Diggs was the #1 WR.

Ty Montgomery, Tarik Cohen, CJ Anderson, Charles Clay, Jesse James, and Chris Hogan were all top 10 players at their position (Cook was RB #9).

For all we know Cook was headed down the same path as those guys, but he's being treated like he put together an entire 16 game season at that 4 game pace. 

He looked awesome but he also looked undersized. I have no doubt he has the ability but as we all know, there are some super athletes out there playing linebacker. He reminds me of the Steve Slaton - Jahvid Best type player. A great undersized guy who has lingering injury concerns. He actually reminds me a lot of Deangelo Williams which is a HUGE compliment.

Dynasty: With Guice, Chubb and Barkley off the board.

I’ve been offered 1.4 2018 and 1st 2019 (7-10) picks for Cook. Even though I’m stacked at the position I need more for Cook. The owner is a year removed from winning the Championship which I won last year. He’d be pairing Cook with Bell as his starting backfield. There’s no question I will likely see this owner during the playoffs. He has two high 2nd rounds this year and I want the 1st of the two and I’m not budging......I have no reason to.

Tex
Neat story 

He looked awesome but he also looked undersized. I have no doubt he has the ability but as we all know, there are some super athletes out there playing linebacker. He reminds me of the Steve Slaton - Jahvid Best type player. A great undersized guy who has lingering injury concerns. He actually reminds me a lot of Deangelo Williams which is a HUGE compliment.
Those guys are lightning.  Cook is more subtle to me.  Less sudden.  More read the blocking, cut, go.  A little wiggle at the second level but not putting people on skates.  I also believe he is a bit bigger than those guys.. he is 6' 210-220 ish?  

The only part of the eye test he failed for me was breaking tackles.  Seemed to go down and give up a lot.  Or "slip" with defenders coming hot.

Otherwise usage and ability seems to make for a high floor pending health.

If he came out of nowhere that would be one thing, but he was a highly regarded prospect so those four games are a bit more meaningful in that they confirmed what most thought about him anyway. Still, it's a valid point.

If he came out of nowhere that would be one thing, but he was a highly regarded prospect so those four games are a bit more meaningful in that they confirmed what most thought about him anyway. Still, it's a valid point.
Definitely, although we shouldn't forget a year ago at this time there was a lot of negativity about him. His combine was awful and their was some injury concern as he torn his labrum twice. He had 3.5 very good games but it was also a pace of about 380 touches. Is that sustainable? I am just surprised how things have turned out. If a year ago people would have said Cook will tear his ACL in week 4 AND be a borderline 1st round redraft pick, that would almost be unfathomable. 

Definitely, although we shouldn't forget a year ago at this time there was a lot of negativity about him. His combine was awful and their was some injury concern as he torn his labrum twice. He had 3.5 very good games but it was also a pace of about 380 touches. Is that sustainable? I am just surprised how things have turned out. If a year ago people would have said Cook will tear his ACL in week 4 AND be a borderline 1st round redraft pick, that would almost be unfathomable. 
The scarcity of true workhouse RBs that catch balls out of the back field.

Dalvin Cook - RB -  Vikings

When asked if Dalvin Cook (knee) would be ready for Week 1, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said the running back is ready "now."

Zimmer added that Cook will get at least "some reps" during the preseason, though his exact workload has yet to be determined. Cook is coming off a torn ACL but has shown no lingering effects throughout training camp. The second-year back is being drafted as a borderline RB1 in most formats.

Source: Courtney Cronin on Twitter 

Aug 3 - 4:10 PM

Users who are viewing this thread