Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Dalvin Cook, Vikings

Does Zimmer normally play these type games during the week? Could we be looking at a David Johnson type game where he’s active and just doesn’t get touches?

28 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

Does Zimmer normally play these type games during the week? Could we be looking at a David Johnson type game where he’s active and just doesn’t get touches?

Zimmer is never forthcoming about the truth of the status of his players. He has said he expects players to play who do not several times with the Vikings by now.

Adam Theilen started a game and had to leave after 7 plays earlier on this season. Pretty much the same thing. Similarly with Diggs there have been times where he played hurt in the past but was mostly a decoy.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

Exactly what I expect to happen! Why not make your opponent think your best player will be a key part of the gameplan this week. If you own Mattison, it’s hard to start him, but I can see him getting 15 plus touches and putting up low end RB1 numbers. The Vikes brass can’t be stupid enough to give an injured Cook a healthy workload in a game against an inferior opponent. 

No offense to anyone here, as all of these comments and insight are appreciated, but this feels like one of those ignore everything until Sunday morning and then with a clear mind absorb the latest and decide based on that. Everything else that comes prior is just noise and will cloud judgement on Sunday if the news is anything less than definitive. Good luck to all in the playoffs. Really wish I had secured that 1st round bye.

So after two weeks of rest, the guy shoulder was still hurting. But after missing an entire half plus 3 days of rest he's close to 100%? Such bs. He'll play but coach is obviously lying. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

So after two weeks of rest, the guy shoulder was still hurting. But after missing an entire half plus 3 days of rest he's close to 100%? Such bs. He'll play but coach is obviously lying. 

Has anyone decided to bench him and for whom? Depends if you think your a favorite or underdog.  Do you need Cook’s ceiling score, can you absorb him possibly being a decoy or limited touches? 

Actually, I don't think there's much mystery right now. The injury is fairly significant. The fact it flared up after the bye along with the rather benign hit it took to get him out of the game, means there's legit risk.

It simply comes down to your other choices & weighing those options.

Edited by Football Jones

I have to decide whether to play Devin Singletary over Cook.  I’m worried Cook leaves the game early and it get left holding a single digit bag of bones.

• Like 1

Right-o. Thanks for the information and help from the homers and the decisions by the rosterers. I've ridden Dalvin to the playoffs, now it's Mattison, Conner (out), Hyde, Johnson, Laird, or somebody else on the wire as RB2. I can't afford him to leave the game, either.

Ugh. Top two backs down is disaster and probably why I didn't get a bye in the first place (Neither Hyde nor Johnson replaces Conner in 1.0 PPR in the least)

Edited by rockaction

Opponent had Anthony Miller give him 13 and I had Cooper/Robinson give me 42. I can't believe I'm thinking about Westbrook or Mattison over Cook, but now with an edge, I just need to win, doesn't matter by how many.... Ugh, this sucks!

I'd rather him sit, get better, and let Mattison carry the rock this week, tbh.

Edited by fantasycurse42

24 minutes ago, Chefb2016 said:

I have to decide whether to play Devin Singletary over Cook.  I’m worried Cook leaves the game early and it get left holding a single digit bag of bones.

I don't own Cook, just Mattison and may play him in my flex for this very reason over Benny Snell, AJ Brown, and Patrick Laird.

I'm deciding between Mattison and Sony.....at this point leaning Mattison, but Sony has a juicy matchup as well....just don't trust the Pats for obvious reasons

37 minutes ago, Chefb2016 said:

I’m there with you, what’s the play? Flip a coin before kickoff?

1 hour ago, GoBirds said:

I’m gonna crack open a bottle before kickoff

Same boat. Leaning Singletery despite the tough matchup unless there's positive news on Cook.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manster said:

I'm deciding between Mattison and Sony.....at this point leaning Mattison, but Sony has a juicy matchup as well....just don't trust the Pats for obvious reasons

Either J White or Sony is going to have a really nice game....it's just a matter of which one.

If you're happy with what Mattison is putting out now, he'll likely have an uptick on Sunday.  Can't see his usage going down with Cook hurting.

• Like 1

Whatever you do, do NOT cut a deck of cards to make your decision. I did this last week and ended up starting Foles. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

As for me, I have both Cook and Mattison. I have no idea which way I’m going. I’m in what looks to be a pretty even matchup. I may start both if Jacobs is out. 

59 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

Whatever you do, do NOT cut a deck of cards to make your decision. I did this last week and ended up starting Foles. 

I seriously wish you'd asked me if it was in any way playoff determinant. I watched him and couldn't believe what I'd seen the past two weeks before JAX. Then, when Marrone started getting the questions, I wondered if he'd make it through the game. I even took out a thread about Foles and starting/not starting him but then deleted it when I figured I just couldn't start him. I benched the guy for Kyler Murray and Sam Darnold, for goodness's sake.

That's how bad he had looked the two weeks prior, garbage time excepted. It's too bad that happened to you. 

We should get a 2QB/Superflex thread for next year. 

Pretty much all the news has been positive and he's not even on the injury report which is crazy. I think you have to play him. 

Is it possible he is just the ultimate decoy? I really don't want to get duped here. Winning by 30 or winning by 5 makes no difference to me. The facts just don't add up to me. He was on the sideline in a crucial game and days later he is good to go, wtf?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

That's how the best decisions in life are made.

I’ll be tailgating at 7am in Buffalo drinking deciding on OBJ/Sanders/Cook to pair with Chubb, Henry, Hopkins. 

Just now, fantasycurse42 said:

Is it possible he is just the ultimate decoy? I really don't want to get duped here. Winning by 30 or winning by 5 makes no difference to me. The facts just don't add up to me. He was on the sideline in a crucial game and days later he is good to go, wtf?

That’s where I’m leaning. Playing Detroit at home, I think they can get buy or they could pull him on 3rd downs and goal line. 

6 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Pretty much all the news has been positive and he's not even on the injury report which is crazy. I think you have to play him. 

Makes it all the more weird. They are trying so hard to make it seem like he’s ok.  

I have no idea, but I see that after Sunday that he went 7-31 and it was a "in-game" or "coach's" decision, I'm really gonna feel burned.

Dude was on the ground heaving in pain, looking like he was crying, and said that the hit was just "different." "Just felt different," he said in his locker room stall.

Something strange is afoot at the Circle K, guys.

But so that it adds to the thread right now, I think I have to play him over Mattison, Laird, Hyde, and D. Johnson, who are my alternatives.

36 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I seriously wish you'd asked me if it was in any way playoff determinant. I watched him and couldn't believe what I'd seen the past two weeks before JAX. Then, when Marrone started getting the questions, I wondered if he'd make it through the game. I even took out a thread about Foles and starting/not starting him but then deleted it when I figured I just couldn't start him. I benched the guy for Kyler Murray and Sam Darnold, for goodness's sake.

That's how bad he had looked the two weeks prior, garbage time excepted. It's too bad that happened to you. 

We should get a 2QB/Superflex thread for next year. 

Yeah, I needed to win and needed someone else to lose to get in. Didn’t matter. I got blown out by 40 and the guy ahead of me cruised to an easy win. 

Just now, Man In The Box said:

Yeah, I needed to win and needed someone else to lose to get in. Didn’t matter. I got blown out by 40 and the guy ahead of me cruised to an easy win. 

So no harm, really.

Oh well, back to Dalvin, how a five to seven spot will decimate me in a PPR league, and what it takes to trust a, um, football coach. Friday Night Lights always flirted with the politics of coaches, no wonder they're always lying, though lawyerly so.

not having a designation on the final injury report only means he will be active sunday... it doesnt mean he WONT be on a snap count or cede work to mattison... dont confuse not having a designation to mean he is healthy

Edited by iamkoza
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, iamkoza said:

not having a designation on the final injury report only means he will be active sunday... it doesnt mean he WONT be on a snap count or cede work to mattison... dont confuse not having a designation to mean he is healthy

All true.

Unfortunately, and conversely, it doesn't mean he WILL be on a snap count or that he will cede any work to Mattison.....

Simply a worst-case scenario for owners of both players.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stat Correction said:

All true.

Unfortunately, and conversely, it doesn't mean he WILL be on a snap count or that he will cede any work to Mattison.....

Simply a worst-case scenario for owners of both players.

Yep this stinks. I have Jacobs too. And Lockett. Had a 200 point lead on the leagues next best team after week 11. See you guys next fall :lol:

Edited by Man In The Box

Prime opportunity for Dalvin to shake the “fragile” reputation......do we believe?

I think he wants to play for this reason, but the smarter thing is for him to rest and come back the next week.

17 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Prime opportunity for Dalvin to shake the “fragile” reputation......do we believe?

Practiced Friday, not on the injury report. Good, now I can find something else to worry about in Round 1. 

Still feel like it could be coaches games, especially when they have a soft opponent and he can be rested for 3-4 quarters of the game and they should win easily. I might just pop in Devante Parker over him as a flex, at least then I will know they are playing.

Edited by huthut

3 minutes ago, hispeedthinmint said:

WHo's starting him & hoping for the best?

Feels like we have to

• Like 3

19 hours ago, huthut said:

Still feel like it could be coaches games, especially when they have a soft opponent and he can be rested for 3-4 quarters of the game and they should win easily. I might just pop in Devante Parker over him as a flex, at least then I will know they are playing.

See I understand this line of thinking, but this is not a #1 ranked college team going up against some cupcake college opponent they will beat 66-7. The Vikings NEED this game to stay in the playoff conversation--especially with the Bears getting hot. Thielen is out--so they are going to need the running game. This isn't like a team that has clinched something and can afford to rest their stars. 

Cook has been my RB1 all year and there is no way I get cute now and bench him. The only situation I see him getting rested is the Vikes get a defensive score or two and this changes the game flow. 

• Like 1

Unless new news breaks, you have to start Cook.  Th question is how valuable is Matteson?  With a chest injury, Matteson would be a great short yardage guy this week.  WOndering if he's worth a flex.

35 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

See I understand this line of thinking, but this is not a #1 ranked college team going up against some cupcake college opponent they will beat 66-7. The Vikings NEED this game to stay in the playoff conversation--especially with the Bears getting hot. Thielen is out--so they are going to need the running game. This isn't like a team that has clinched something and can afford to rest their stars. 

Cook has been my RB1 all year and there is no way I get cute now and bench him. The only situation I see him getting rested is the Vikes get a defensive score or two and this changes the game flow. 

Pretty much agree with all of this. I really don’t understand how people believe the Vikings can look past this game and sit Cook. 

That said, I still believe the real issue with Cook will be his ball security with the injury. 

I’m definitely starting him but as we inch closer to kickoff I find myself also flexing mattison. Over the likes of John Brown, Christian Kirk, bilal powell.. keep flip flopping it’s driving me crazy. Just keep thinking about what happened to Conner although that was a different injury. 

6 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Gotta roll with him right?

Yep. Nothing out there saying Cook is going to be limited so even for those who have Mattison, we have nothing to assume Cook won't be the lead back.

This is one of those cross your fingers and hope for the best while knowing you did the best with the info available.

• Thanks 1

Has there been any visual feedback on warmups yet?
(might not be able to discerne anything since this is an upper body injury.....but thought i'd ask)

20 minutes ago, Loipz said:

Just keep thinking about what happened to Conner although that was a different injury. 

Same here. And the whole (chest) designation gives me pause and makes me think it's an acromioclavicular joint issue.