What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (3 Viewers)

So, moving on from Playoff talk, what should we do in the draft?!  Biggest needs are?  I'd say OLB, D-line, RB, are the biggest needs.  Possibly O-line if we want a LT upgrade but I don't think the tackle class is that great.

Also, wouldn't be opposed to taking a top WR in the 1st. It sounds ridiculous, but picture Green, Bell, Brown, Bryant, and a top WR talent on the field at the same time.  Completely unstoppable!!  But they probably won't do it.

So, moving on from Playoff talk, what should we do in the draft?!  Biggest needs are?  I'd say OLB, D-line, RB, are the biggest needs.  Possibly O-line if we want a LT upgrade but I don't think the tackle class is that great.

Also, wouldn't be opposed to taking a top WR in the 1st. It sounds ridiculous, but picture Green, Bell, Brown, Bryant, and a top WR talent on the field at the same time.  Completely unstoppable!!  But they probably won't do it.
A bit premature, no?

P.S. Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush.

The emergence of Rogers in the slot and Green as a TE stretching the field, along with Hamilton & Ayers looking halfway decent, and Coates decent play before his injuries, I'd prefer OLB.

But let's enjoy the playoffs first.

The emergence of Rogers in the slot and Green as a TE stretching the field, along with Hamilton & Ayers looking halfway decent, and Coates decent play before his injuries, I'd prefer OLB.

But let's enjoy the playoffs first.
Too early, but best player available all the way. Nothing off the board even a QB would be a good pick if it is a high value pick. 

However save that until after the Superbowl victory party.

Drunken Cowboy said:
Too early, but best player available all the way. Nothing off the board even a QB would be a good pick if it is a high value pick. 

Corner, Safety, Corner.

Corner, Safety, Corner.
We spent our first and second round picks on secondary last year and a 2nd rounder the year before that. Davis and Burns will have a full year under their belts, Mitchell, Gay, and Cockrell will all be back and hopefully Senquez Golson can actually play a down. They also have a full offseason to see if Justin Gilbert can fit into the plans. 

Conversely, Jarvis Jones is as good as gone, Moats most likely gone as well. No idea what will happen with Harrison. Only 2 OLB that are even likely let alone certain to be on the roster are Dupree and Chickillo. 

A good pass rush can make an average secondary look good. A lack of pressure can make the best secondary look pedestrian, if not downright awful. 

IMO, OLB is the biggest need by a long shot. I expect them to make the uncharacteristic foray into the FA market for a pass rusher and still think we see 2 draft picks at the position in the first 4-5 rounds. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We spent our first and second round picks on secondary last year and a 2nd rounder the year before that. Davis and Burns will have a full year under their belts, Mitchell, Gay, and Cocktail will all be back and hopefully Senquez Golson can actually play a down. They also have a full offseason to see if Justin Gilbert can fit into the plans. 

Conversely, Jarvis Jones is as good as gone, Moats most likely gone as well. No idea what will happen with Harrison. Only 2 OLB that are even likely let alone certain to be on the roster are Dupree and Chickillo. 

A good pass rush can make an average secondary look good. A lack of pressure can make the best secondary look pedestrian, if not downright awful. 

IMO, OLB is the biggest need by a long shot. I expect them to make the uncharacteristic foray into the FA market for a pass rusher and still think we see 2 draft picks at the position in the first 4-5 rounds. 
My take exactly. 

Drunken Cowboy said:

Since we are winning the Super Bowl we will be picking in the 32 slot. So BPA drafting last in the rounds might make sense.  But my gosh OLB looks like a HUGE need.

My take exactly. 
Good points. But I think the defense is only as good as its weakest link which is Mike Mitchell by a mile. Shamarko is not the answer either.  On top of that, William Gay is close to done (could he move to safety?) and Cockrell is average at best, often times he is below average.

i would love to see Gilbert pan out as well as Senquez, but nonetheless I see safety (#1) and corner (probably #3) as high priorities. You've convinced me that a rush LB would be #2 on my draft wish list.

Under Butler, I wonder the breakdown of percentage of playseeing where we run a true 3-4 vs nickel or dime package or where we have 4 down linemen.

Jarvis Jones showed much improvement against hapless Browns though they did run the ball down our throats.

Wondering if his agent would only want his market value and if so would Steelers pay it. He shouldn't command much based on his horrible lack of production.  I am surprised playing with James Harrison hasn't led to his development and improved performance. 

Just saw this will be the first time ever that all three (Big Ben, AB, and Lev Bell) will be healthy and playing together in the playoffs.  The Steelers are going to roll through playoffs.

Just saw this will be the first time ever that all three (Big Ben, AB, and Lev Bell) will be healthy and playing together in the playoffs.  The Steelers are going to roll through playoffs.
I believe this is actually Bell's first playoff game ever.  Pretty amazing.  If the defense can play the way they have for the past couple months, they have a chance to go pretty far.  The problem is the dominant offense doesn't always show up with this team.  

Saw L Green practiced in full Wed and Thurs.  Anyone know when he will get reviewed for being cleared to play or not?

Saw L Green practiced in full Wed and Thurs.  Anyone know when he will get reviewed for being cleared to play or not?
Last I heard they expect him to be available but he has to be cleared by an independent doctor first.  I'm not sure that has happened yet.

ETA:  The news today is not so good:

Steelers tight end Ladarius Green was a full participant in practice on Wednesday and Thursday, which provided optimism that he’d be back in the lineup against the Dolphins on Sunday after missing the last two games with a concussion.

Green’s status is clouded with more doubt on Friday, however. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said, via Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, that Green did not practice on Friday because the team didn’t get the “results they wanted” from him earlier in the week.

Green is going to be listed as questionable for the matchup with the Dolphins, but the fact that he remains in the concussion protocol and seems to be moving in the wrong direction after a return to practice doesn’t bode well for his chances of being in the lineup.

Jesse James, Xavier Grimble and David Johnson are the other tight ends on the active roster in Pittsburgh.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/06/ladarius-green-doesnt-practice-friday-still-in-concussion-protocol/

My offseason want list:

#1.  OLB / EDGE

#2.  OLB / EDGE

#3.  Secondary

#4.  MLB

#5.  DL

#6.  WR

#7.  OLB / EDGE

#8.  Future QB or at least a better #2 QB

My offseason want list:

#1.  OLB / EDGE

#2.  OLB / EDGE

#3.  Secondary

#4.  MLB

#5.  DL

#6.  WR

#7.  OLB / EDGE

#8.  Future QB or at least a better #2 QB
While I agree they need another EDGE, Bud Dupree is going to be in the better half of the league far as pass rushers go. They still need a CB and we'll be talking about that as soon as the offseason hits but since that isn't here yet let's enjoy tomorrow.

While I agree they need another EDGE, Bud Dupree is going to be in the better half of the league far as pass rushers go. They still need a CB and we'll be talking about that as soon as the offseason hits but since that isn't here yet let's enjoy tomorrow.
So far, I'd say Bud is underwhelming as a 1st round pick.  He has heaps of size-strength-speed, but I haven't seen much improvement.  He has very little hand-fighting skills and an arsenal of about one pass rush move.  He had some decent stats to finish the season so there's hope, but expecting him to progress is not outrageous and also not a solid expectation.  Then again, I could be wrong, and his return sparked the late season improvement to the defense as a whole.

Jones hasn't improved, just stayed healthy.  I'm hoping we can resign him (did I really just say that... ) on the cheap as depth, but we really need both sides to be effective at getting pressure to hide our secondary.  Another solid pass rusher is as good as adding a solid CB AND a solid S.  And when it comes to pass rushers, if you have one, you have none.  If you have two, you have one.  To keep guys fresh and cover injury, there needs to be another two.  Our LB corps is going to look VERY thin if we don't hit it hard in FA and the draft with the likely losses of Timmons, Moats (?) and Harrison.

That said, revenge game coming up!   :towelwave: Let's go catch some fins.  :fishing:

Pittsburgh Steelers fans are honorable bastards.  Not going to wish your team good luck, but I do wish them good health and I hope for a clean game.  If you do win, please go on to the Super Bowl! :thumbup:   :football:

Pittsburgh Steelers fans are honorable bastards.  Not going to wish your team good luck, but I do wish them good health and I hope for a clean game.  If you do win, please go on to the Super Bowl! :thumbup:   :football:
Back at ya Dedfin.  If the Steelers don't win my second favorite team is the one playing the Patriots.

:yes:  every Steelers fan I know (quite a few) is a good guy or gal, the franchise is downright respectable and are doing things right, over the years.  We can point at Ben as being less than a gentleman (at least) but otherwise that's a good team/franchise.  

I'll still pull for an upset, just because upsets are good for the league, but after today that's the team I'll cheer for throughout the playoffs. 

Cannot be counted on. Cut him at the end of the season, draft Njoku for 2017.
They got to give him a shot next year.  He opens up so many dimensions for this offense when he's healthy.  I know it's a long shot to count on his health but it's worth it.  With Bryant coming back next year, the offense could be unstoppable if everyone stays healthy (or at least is healthy at the right time- I.e the playoffs)

They got to give him a shot next year.  He opens up so many dimensions for this offense when he's healthy.  I know it's a long shot to count on his health but it's worth it.  With Bryant coming back next year, the offense could be unstoppable if everyone stays healthy (or at least is healthy at the right time- I.e the playoffs)
The problem is he is never healthy. He's got a low tolerance for pain.

I was also at that game.  What a miserable afternoon that was.  We had about 10x the offense the Texans had and still lost by 18.

Ill be in section 101 on Sunday.  Dress warm, it is going to be damn cold
Good luck today.  I'm in 5 top layers (not including coat), 2 bottoms, 2 pairs of gloves, 3 pairs of socks, scarf and hat.  Hopefully this is enough but I doubt it. I can't even really drink much because I have to drive back to Philly after the game.    :scared:

The problem is he is never healthy. He's got a low tolerance for pain.
True but all I care about is if he's somehow healthy enough to play in the playoffs.  That alone is worth the shot to keep him for one more year IMO.  This team has to win a Super Bowl with the offense they've built.  No excuses.  They have a couple years and then the window closes.

Did I read that right Fred? You're driving back to philly after the game...oof...hopefully we get a win to make it more bearable

So far, I'd say Bud is underwhelming as a 1st round pick.  He has heaps of size-strength-speed, but I haven't seen much improvement.  He has very little hand-fighting skills and an arsenal of about one pass rush move.  He had some decent stats to finish the season so there's hope, but expecting him to progress is not outrageous and also not a solid expectation.  Then again, I could be wrong, and his return sparked the late season improvement to the defense as a whole.
Looking better every week since his return.  I take back this statement.

Wish Jones wasnt a bust. Honestly I don't think I've seen him once today (is he hurt again?). Harrison has been out there playing his 36 y/o ### off. I still agree they absolutely need another young pass rusher.

Hopefully Ben isn't actually hurt on that last pass.   Great performance by the defense and Leveon.   I was more worried about this game than the Chiefs so if they play at the same level next week than no worries   :towelwave:

23 years ago today, the Steelers lost an OT Wild Card game in KC. I think that is the last time PIT faced KC in a playoff game. I would love a redemption win.

I listened to the game on the radio, as my new fiancee (now ex) and I drove 3 hours to Pittsburgh for an engagement party with my grandparents and cousins and such. It was the first time she had ever heard Myron's voice and she complained about it the entire way. That was a sign...or omen.

Redemption win, please.

Hopefully Ben isn't actually hurt on that last pass.   Great performance by the defense and Leveon.   I was more worried about this game than the Chiefs so if they play at the same level next week than no worries   :towelwave:
KC should put up a better fight than miami.  With charles and DJ, Chiefs would have had a pretty good chance.  They still do, if Ben doesn't bring his A game KC will win. 

Absolutely stupid that Roeth was in the whole 4th quarter. Now he's be in a walking boot, thanks Tomlin. I swear... Tomlin is a good coach but he's own worst enemy.

Now he's be in a walking boot, thanks Tomlin.
Just heard about this... damn.  I like Tomlin's general attitude about injuries and he sums it up with "I don't live in my fears".  All that is great for the long term/regular season.  But there is no need to continue playing super star players when you are blowing someone out in the playoffs... that's just dumb.

OTOH, this is an opportunity for Ben to exaggerate the severity of the injury all week and play an amazing game under adverse circumstances  :P

Bojang0301 said:
Absolutely stupid that Roeth was in the whole 4th quarter. Now he's be in a walking boot, thanks Tomlin. I swear... Tomlin is a good coach but he's own worst enemy.
Others may make excuses, claim Ben is pulling some gamesmanship, claim that "injuries could happen on any play", etc, etc, etc. But it is downright bad coaching, poor decision-making from the coaching staff. Same with having Antonio Brown field and return a punt just a few seconds prior to Ben' injury, too. Ben will almost certainly play next week but he also likely will be less than 100%. And for what, to throw a pass with under five minutes left in a game that the team is up 24? It's maddening to have a good coach who makes so many consistently "small" poor decisions. That one bonehead decision could very well be the difference if/when the Steelers fall to the Chiefs or the Pats.

Ben is in a boot but I'm sure he will be fine. No frigging way any of the Bs should have been playing the 4th quarter.  That's just stupid

Back home in Philly.  Still can't believe how long they left the big 3 in.  I think the whole stadium was wondering why any of those 3 guys were in the game going into the 4th quarter.  Makes no sense at all and now look where we're at.  Ben really needs to be 100% for this team to do anything     :shrug:   

Also, I love that they started the game no huddle/hurry up.  It really set the tempo early and I believe this offense is basically unstoppable when they're in hurry up.  Hope they do the same next week.  

One more thing.  I can't stand Mike Mitchell.  His girly scream in the 2nd quarter when he got a big hit AFTER an 8 yard gain is about all I can take of him at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread