What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Austin Hooper, LV (1 Viewer)

Austin Hooper caught 9-of-11 targets for a team-high 130 yards in Atlanta's Week 4 loss to the Titans.

Garbage time certainly helped, but Hooper was transparently Matt Ryan's favorite target on a day the quarterback was under duress and beat up by Tennessee's defensive line for the entirety of play. Following his two-touchdown performance against the Colts last week, Hooper currently sits as fantasy's No. 3 tight end, which isn't expected to change any time soon with the Texans and Cardinals on deck. Hooper can be counted on as a reliable every-down TE1 for the foreseeable future.

Sep 29, 2019, 4:28 PM ET

Rove! said:
I will never draft or start this guy again
In standard ppr leagues he was TE#5 this week. His score this week actually bumped him up over Engram for TE#1 position through 5 weeks. What more do you want??

In standard ppr leagues he was TE#5 this week. His score this week actually bumped him up over Engram for TE#1 position through 5 weeks. What more do you want??
Seriously, tough crowd. If yesterday was his floor you're doing fine. 

I don’t understand.. he’s the #2 PPR TE and people are still complaining? Is it sarcasm? Have I lost the ability to understand sarcasm? 

I don’t understand.. he’s the #2 PPR TE and people are still complaining? Is it sarcasm? Have I lost the ability to understand sarcasm? 
Didn’t read up much further ... so I’m not sure what people are complaining about. Hooper seems like the real deal.

The only thing I’m Gonna come in here to complain about, is that his trade value still feels like garbage. Can’t move him for much. 

I think fantasy nerds just think he’s going to go back to being WW material. So they are not buying. I don’t blame them really -

i have him as a backup to Kittle. And I’m also not brave enough to buy in and trade Kittle instead of him 🤷🏼‍♂️

My one league combines WR and TE and has weird scoring for TEs....any other option this week would have won me my game.

i have started Hooper twice in two years and both times it has cost me my season.

Austin Hooper caught 8-of-8 targets for 117 yards and one touchdown in the Falcons' Week 6 loss to the Cardinals.

The flow chart is real. The Cardinals' defense is allowing production to opposing tight ends at a historical pace, and Hooper was able to continue that trend with another elite performance. But it hasn't mattered who Hooper faced this season. He's produced regardless. Hooper is now averaging 7.0 receptions, 80.0 yards, and 0.5 touchdowns this season with the Falcons constantly playing in garbage time. The fourth-year tight end will be, at worst, a top-five TE next week with the Rams coming to A-Town.

Last edited by a moderator:
Austin Hooper caught 4-of-5 targets for 46 yards and a touchdown in the Falcons' Week 7 loss to the Rams.

Hooper's score was a Christmas miracle, as it came from backup Matt Schaub deep into garbage time. From a compiling standpoint, it was Hooper's least-productive day since Week 2. The concern going forward is Matt Ryan's (leg) health. The Falcons host the Seahawks for Week 8 before going on bye. Even if Schaub is under center next Sunday, he should check down to Hooper enough to return TE1 value.
TE1 on the year and nobody talks about him.

TE1 on the year and nobody talks about him.
I said some things about him back in June and July. My outlook was optimistic and I have Hooper in some leagues.

I wasn't expecting the volume he has gotten so far this season. I think a lot of what Hooper is doing is in garbage time when the defense is playing softer coverage. The game scripts and poor defense of the Falcons has made this situation sustainable for Hooper so far.

Not sure what will happen with the Falcons players if Ryan misses time.

Austin Hooper caught 6-of-7 targets for 65 yards and one touchdown in the Falcons' Week 8 loss to the Seahawks.

Hooper is a wonderful safety net for the Falcons, regardless of if it's Matt Ryan or Matt Schaub under center. The breakout tight end now has at least six receptions in 6-of-8 games this season and is on pace for 104 receptions, 1,182 yards, and 10 touchdowns. If Hooper can keep it up, he'll be in contention to finish as the TE1 overall. The Falcons' lack of a defense and rushing game should continue to funnel targets Hooper's way. Hooper will be a top-end TE1 when the Falcons return from bye.

Austin Hooper caught 4-of-5 targets for 17 yards and a touchdown in the Falcons' Week 10 win over the Saints.

Hooper was deemed questionable to return late in the fourth quarter due to a knee injury. Hooper’s touchdown reception came down the seam from eight yards out in tight coverage. Still, his ungodly target total came back to earth with the Falcons holding a lead for most of the game. The Falcons enter games planning on getting their run game, Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley involved before Hooper, but their TE often racks up underneath targets once things get out of hand. We wouldn’t bet on the Falcons suddenly becoming world beaters for the rest of the season, so Hooper can still be fired up as a confident TE1 more weeks than not.

Getting an MRI on his knee this am and will probably miss some time. Brutal. He's been a rock on my undefeated team this year.

Yeah, this isn't good. Especially since Atlanta really isn't playing for anything. No need to rush him back even if he is able to. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Austin Hooper has been diagnosed with a sprained MCL.

Hooper will get a second opinion to determine how long he's out, but it's certain to be a week-to-week situation with Hooper missing multiple games. It should open up more passes to be funneled through Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley, while Luke Stocker and "Jaeden Graham" are currently next up at tight end.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 11, 2019, 7:06 PM ET

Yeah, this isn't good. Especially since Atlanta really isn't playing for anything. No need to rush him back even if he is able to. 
A lot of the chatter on Twitter yesterday was that a sprained MCL would be the best case scenario so if Rapoport's report holds up I guess that's decent news. But you're right that they have nothing to play for, so I wonder if they delay his return until he's 100%.

Though I saw up to 6 weeks. To me, getting a "second opinion" is never a good thing. Tells me they weren't happy with the first opinion. 

Though I saw up to 6 weeks. To me, getting a "second opinion" is never a good thing. Tells me they weren't happy with the first opinion. 
In a way... I'd feel better with it to free up the roster spot.  He's gonna miss two weeks at least you figure, who knows how effective he is coming back.

TE is just such a high impact position of attrition.  So much contact.

I have Fant on my wire, I liked the way he was looking the last few weeks, but not the best TE sched coming up

If you're a Hooper owner, pray that the Falcons go on a winning streak.  Hooper will probably be put on IR as soon as the Falcons are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

"Quinn said the report that Hooper would miss a month was “not from our building.”#Falcons

— William McFadden (@willmcfadden)November 13, 2019"

With Sanu gone and Hooper out, Calvin Ridley could be massive.
I'd argue the next guy to benefit from a TE being out is the backup TE (if competent), the slot receiver or RBs; not the other outside receiver. I'd actually give more of a bump to Gage and Hill/Freeman.

I'd argue the next guy to benefit from a TE being out is the backup TE (if competent), the slot receiver or RBs; not the other outside receiver. I'd actually give more of a bump to Gage and Hill/Freeman.
None of the backups are going to come even close to Hooper or Sanu when it comes to garnering targets.  Jones and Ridley are going to be targeted a ton.  They could be targeted as much or more than Godwin and Evans.

None of the backups are going to come even close to Hooper or Sanu when it comes to garnering targets.  Jones and Ridley are going to be targeted a ton.  They could be targeted as much or more than Godwin and Evans.
Gage already has a game of 9 targets under his belt after Sanu was traded.  He would be the logical player to get that share consistently now.

What are people doing with Hooper? 

Bye weeks this time of year is painful and missing a month is even worse.

Is he cut worthy if you need the spot?  

I’m considering it. I also have Engram. If the report that Hooper was going to be gone a month came from anyone else but Ian Rapoport I probably would have done it already, but he’s flat out wrong enough I might see if we hear anything else from anyone else, first.

Holding, nothing worth cutting him for in redraft.  Hoping he comes back for the Fantasy playoffs.

Have Henry in one league, so it's not really a drop off, but in another I am stuck starting Howard.

Depends on how badly you need the spot.

I’m considering it. I also have Engram. If the report that Hooper was going to be gone a month came from anyone else but Ian Rapoport I probably would have done it already, but he’s flat out wrong enough I might see if we hear anything else from anyone else, first.
Sprained MCL isnt good, 4 weeks sounds about right for any people who are not doctors, right? Not to mention, how effective will he be and if the Falcons keep losing will he come back.

Holding, nothing worth cutting him for in redraft.  Hoping he comes back for the Fantasy playoffs.

Have Henry in one league, so it's not really a drop off, but in another I am stuck starting Howard.

Depends on how badly you need the spot.
So cutting isnt out of the question for those who need the spot? I have Kelce but still loved Hooper int he Flex. 

4 weeks this time of year is worthy of cutting, but I did a thread of big names to cut and got scolded. Name brands are popular do not cuts around here. 

Users who are viewing this thread