What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenneth Dixon, Free Agent (3 Viewers)

He "broke out" because he scored his first TD of the year, on a play that just about any RB would have made? I like the guy too, but  :lmao: at the hyperbole.
I think what he meant was it's good to not only see him score but get more touches and actually look like his taking command.

Tex

I think what he meant was it's good to not only see him score but get more touches and actually look like his taking command.

Tex
I agree with that, but did you read his posts? I think he believes Dixon can walk on water and the tape from that game will heal sick children when they watch it.

This is the play I was describing in my post yesterday. The TD was easy. I am not saying he broke out because of that TD, more his usage and display of talent like this on the field. His shiftiness/pass catching ability was already on display in college, but I had no idea he had this kind of pad level leverage and power to move DLineman! LOL Has got all the tools on display in this game. He has the skills to be an effective 3 down workhorse back which is rare in this day. I pointed out the same thing in the Jordan Howard thread before his breakout. That is what I am excited about along with his usage when I term "breakout", not from the TD which was pretty non-special.

ETA: P.S. If you want a good laugh, look at my debate with Weebs in the Jordan Howard and Dwayne Washington threads. This is why he follows me around like a woman scorned.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the play I was describing in my post yesterday. The TD was easy. I am not saying he broke out because of that TD, more his usage and display of talent like this on the field. His shiftiness/pass catching ability was already on display in college, but I had no idea he had this kind of pad level leverage and power to move DLineman! LOL Has got all the tools on display in this game. He has the skills to be an effective 3 down workhorse back which is rare in this day. I pointed out the same thing in the Jordan Howard thread before his breakout. That is what I am excited about along with his usage when I term "breakout", not from the TD which was pretty non-special.

ETA: P.S. If you want a good laugh, look at my debate with Weebs in the Jordan Howard and Dwayne Washington threads. This is why he follows me around like a woman scorned.
Just ignore him. That tool was following me around after I told him Coates had bad hands and can't track the ball, thus his big game was an aberration. He said something like he was going to bump my stupid post every time Coates blew up the rest of the year. Since that claim, Coates has 1 rec for 4 yards in 8 games.  :tumbleweed:

But yeah, Dixon appears to be the real deal. He was Waldman's #3 back in the 2016 class. That's all I had to hear to buy in. I really hope they don't add a back in the draft. If he continues to show well in the final games, I think he'll get the job next year which should provide him top 12 upside in all formats, especially given his usage in the passing game.

Not necessarily the first half I envisioned.

The optimist in me says nowhere else to go but up. I hope. 

Still have a half to go, but I should have known better than to trust John Harbaugh, who seems to have no rhyme or reason as to how much he uses RBs from week to week.  :wall:

Still have a half to go, but I should have known better than to trust John Harbaugh, who seems to have no rhyme or reason as to how much he uses RBs from week to week.  :wall:
What is going on? Did Dixon miss a block or something. Unreal. I thought he looked so good last week he would start taking this committee over. 

Looking at playoff sch, wk16 is circled on my calendar for a phenomenal type setup for a potential league championship winning game performance by Dixon. I won't need to start Dixon vs Phi D with my options (will be watching this game closely, however to determine future use), but will be hard to leave him on the bench week 16 vs Pit D on the road if he displays more flash vs PHI next week. They will need to lean on him as they did with NE to stay in the game at PIT.

He is clearly the most talented player on the offense for BAL, and while his breakout to stardom was delayed by a pre-season injury, the tools are all there for this guy to become great going forward, as the opportunity is now his. Last night he showed power, vision, speed and pass catching ability. Even Defensive end, 275 lb Chris Long could not bring this guy to the ground as Dixon pushed and pushed staying low, using his leverage and power to carry Long an extra 5 yards until they finally both went out of bounds, stopping the clock on a key first down late in the game where BAL needed to save time. I recommend everyone who is invested in Dixon watch that play. That tape will be an inspiration to the team this week for both offense and defense when they watch that type of determination on display from the rookie. That first down he fought for behind Yanda with 9:04 left in the game was big too. 5'9, 212 lbs (seen as high as 216 listed as well) taking on and winning the battle with leverage/power says a lot, not to mention the countless broken tackles, while falling forward more times than not. This power is coupled to one of the most shifty backs, actually the most shifty of the top5 prospects. Hw is the only guy that can consistently wow me with his open field moves of this class when watching college tape. That has been true all year, its just now he has the opp and just needs more experience at NFL speed to solidify it, so stay healthy, Mr. Dixon.

P.S. The West stop gap opp is now over. Talent has won out. Just stay healthy!
:thumbup: lolol

Dixon is a more complete receiving option, so they used him against the patriots because the best way to combat a multiple defense is w9th a multiple offense.

West didn't like getting blanked so he's playing like he wants to keep the job.

It sucks for those of us who put him in a lineup this week, but it's understandable.

As a dynasty owner I don't think this is bad news - I still think Dixon is their long term guy and rb doesn't look like a big position of need going into the draft.  But for redraft, I doubt I start him next week.

This is a current and future time-share. West is the first and second down back and Dixon is the third down back.  Usage will vary by opponent and game-situation.  People underestimated West and overestimated Dixon. Both are useful in their own way and neither is dominant. 

West is a better player than people have been giving him credit for.
Yes, we were all thinking NFL practice squad after 2 years, 3 teams, and 3.9 ypc... but his career resurgence to the tune of 4.1 ypc has upgraded him to NFL JAG.

It will be a travesty if there is a 50/50 split in 2017.

Yes, we were all thinking NFL practice squad after 2 years, 3 teams, and 3.9 ypc... but his career resurgence to the tune of 4.1 ypc has upgraded him to NFL JAG.

It will be a travesty if there is a 50/50 split in 2017.
Have you actually watched him or are you just going by the stats? I mean, if you're just going by stats, West must be a much better receiving back since he has a lower drop rate and a higher average per reception, right?

Have you actually watched him or are you just going by the stats? I mean, if you're just going by stats, West must be a much better receiving back since he has a lower drop rate and a higher average per reception, right?
I'm just being a little snarky. I have watched him. He looks better this year, but I think people insinuating that West and Dixon are similarly skilled are a little misguided. 

This might explain the (lack of) usage last week.

Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun doesn't believe the Ravens trust either Kenneth Dixon or Terrance West on third downs.

Advice: Dixon missed a critical block on third down Sunday against the Eagles and was scarcely used after that. Fullback Kyle Juszczyk out-snapped both Dixon and West in that game and was often the only back in on passing downs. It's a reminder that neither of Baltimore's main running backs can be trusted as anything more than flex options going forward.
Won't be starting him till next year I guess. Howard has a nice matchup this week anyway.

Espn link / Matthew berry

2. There's not much in this world that Ravens coach John Harbaugh and I have in common, but one thing we find common ground on is our love for Kenneth Dixon. Harbaugh was effusive in his praise for last year's rookie running back, saying he loves his strength, his tackle-breaking ability and his personality, and he expects him to be a "top back in this league." He went on and on about him. He also had nice things to say about Breshad Perriman and Mike Wallace (he hopes Wallace comes back), but his strongest praise during the news conference was for Dixon.

Espn link / Matthew berry

2. There's not much in this world that Ravens coach John Harbaugh and I have in common, but one thing we find common ground on is our love for Kenneth Dixon. Harbaugh was effusive in his praise for last year's rookie running back, saying he loves his strength, his tackle-breaking ability and his personality, and he expects him to be a "top back in this league." He went on and on about him. He also had nice things to say about Breshad Perriman and Mike Wallace (he hopes Wallace comes back), but his strongest praise during the news conference was for Dixon.
Damn! Finally some good news on this guy!

Dixon owner and I agree with that analysis.  I think he's not going to be AP by any means but I think he can be a top 10 rb for a number of years if the ravens use him.  

I watched the entire press conference, and every single player that Harbaugh was asked about he gushed over (including some from other teams).

I watched the entire press conference, and every single player that Harbaugh was asked about he gushed over (including some from other teams).
Exactly.  The real telling sign will be whether they pick someone up in FA or draft someone high.  Then we'll see where Harbaugh sees Dixon fitting in.

I think they will look at a speedy CoP back in the mid rounds.  That's the missing piece to me, and there are a few in this year's draft.  Dixon and west makes no sense as a pairing.  Dixon and a speed guy lets you do different things at different points in the game. And to me, Dixon is the guy who gets 200+ carries, a nice dose of receptions and the bulk of the rushing touchdowns.  

When Dixon is doing this? Why would they look to take a way touches from an RB paid high in FA or drafted too high in the Rookie Draft? Makes no Damn Sense.  :angry:

Kenneth Dixon ave 11.8 ppg & 4.92 YPC over 98 touches from Wks 10-17. That's .96 points/touch.

Jordan Howard averaged .81 P/T on the yr.

In 2016, among all 71 running backs with at least 40 carries, Kenneth Dixon ranked first in missed tackles forced per attempt https://t.co/zn5fdQzHyy

When Dixon is doing this? Why would they look to take a way touches from an RB paid high in FA or drafted too high in the Rookie Draft? Makes no Damn Sense.  :angry:

Kenneth Dixon ave 11.8 ppg & 4.92 YPC over 98 touches from Wks 10-17. That's .96 points/touch.

In 2016, among all 71 running backs with at least 40 carries, Kenneth Dixon ranked first in missed tackles forced per attempt https://t.co/zn5fdQzHyy
Your English is ####### terrible, but I like what you're saying.

The numbers come out that way because Dixon had 30 receptions and less than 90 rushing attempts, so in PPR his points/touch is inflated in comparison to a guy like Howard who had 30 receptions and 250 rushing attempts.  Yes, its nice that Dixon catches passes but his points/touch would drop if he had more rushing attempts. And points/game is more important than points/touch.  Over those 8 weeks, Dixon's best rushing total was 57 yards.  Same time frame, Howard's worst game was 77 yards and half the games were 100+.   Howard averaged over 10/reception and put up 1600+ rushing/receiving. Dixon averaged 5/catch and didn't compile 600 yards.  Howard's TD total was low for his level of involvement.  I could see that coming up some; especially if the Bears improve as an offense.

I like Dixon.  Just don't like the Howard comp at this time.

The numbers come out that way because Dixon had 30 receptions and less than 90 rushing attempts, so in PPR his points/touch is inflated in comparison to a guy like Howard who had 30 receptions and 250 rushing attempts.  Yes, its nice that Dixon catches passes but his points/touch would drop if he had more rushing attempts. And points/game is more important than points/touch.  Over those 8 weeks, Dixon's best rushing total was 57 yards.  Same time frame, Howard's worst game was 77 yards and half the games were 100+.   Howard averaged over 10/reception and put up 1600+ rushing/receiving. Dixon averaged 5/catch and didn't compile 600 yards.  Howard's TD total was low for his level of involvement.  I could see that coming up some; especially if the Bears improve as an offense.

I like Dixon.  Just don't like the Howard comp at this time.
My problem with this complaint is the fact that Dixon only played half the season. So didn't have the opp to have as many carries. But what it does tell us is he was highly effective in most of the facets of the game when he did play. And they eased him in the rotation because T.West was playing pretty well with the talent he has and what he was asked to do. J.Howard didn't have any RB talent on the roster that was playing as well as T.West. So they were happy to give him as many carries as long as he held up and was productive. 

I get what your saying that the limited rushes and touches inflated his #s. But we also shouldn't assume he wouldn't be as productive or more over a full season. 

I'm buying. Low end RB1 #s in a 16 tm all day. 

Teams should make decisions based on fantasy football ppr scoring?

Dixon had a knee injury in preseason and missed time, but by the third preseason game, appeared to have locked up the number one job.  He got reinjured on a goal line carry and missed about two months.

In his absence, Terrance West, who had also had a nice offseason, took over the starting job and the team released the incumbent Forsett and effectively gave up on Buck Allen.  

When Dixon came back, after a couple games to get his feet wet, he appeared to overtake West as the starter and was effective in a time share.  This isn't a case of a third down back getting 12 yards on third and 20. He was running with power and carrying guys.  He was also getting receptions. He looked good.

There are some issues.  

After the season, Harbaugh said he wanted to improve their running game and that they needed a game breaker.  He said he had discussed with Ozzie what kind of back they wanted.  Imo, they need a guy with speed.  Neither West nor Dixon has long speed.  That makes third and long more difficult.  They need a guy who can threaten to break one.  

The team just tendered West at his original round tender for under 2 million.  That's backup money.  He's available cheap to anyone who wants him.  

What I see - and admittedly I'm biased - is that Dixon played well as a rookie, appeared to have taken the starting job, and is likely to start this year.  I see some risk that the Ravens draft a running back early, but that's true for 80% of teams.  I think it's more likely they take that mid round speed guy as a third down/CoP back.

If that's the case, I expect Dixon to get a large share of the carries, a large share of receptions for a team that throws a lot to the running backs, and the majority of the goal line work.  And receptions and goal line are the most valuable touches a running back can get.  And the team wants to run a lot more.  

To me, that means Dixon has the potential to be a true stud running back.  That doesn't mean he will be - they could draft Fournette, or keep giving West a ton of carries, or he could get hurt again, or any number of things.

But the potential is great - he averaged over 4 yards per carry on the year and close to 5 yards per carry with 25 catches in his final 8 games.  He had all 3 of his touchdowns in his final 4 games. He should get a bigger piece of a larger rb pie next year. If he survives the draft, he will be one of my top targets in the mid rounds of redrafts next year.

Lot's of potential, but it's just as likely that he's no more than a handcuff IMO. Time will tell, but I don't think his coach saying he's a "fan" and loves his "personality" while sharing an arm workout anecdote moves the needle at all.

If he survives the draft, he will be one of my top targets in the mid rounds of redrafts next year.
I hope I'm not in any leagues with you, because I share pretty much the exact same sentiments. I expect him to be in the top 5 for RB receptions* and I also believe he'll be the favorite for goal line work. That alone will make him worth his ADP price. I'll gladly reach for him with the hope that he beats out West for those carries between the 20's. To me, that's what separates him from a high-end RB2 and a potential RB1.

*He had 25 in the last 8 games while largely splitting time. Freeman was 5th in RB receptions last year with 54. 

Lot's of potential, but it's just as likely that he's no more than a handcuff IMO. Time will tell, but I don't think his coach saying he's a "fan" and loves his "personality" while sharing an arm workout anecdote moves the needle at all.
I agree about the latter.  There just hasn't been much news about him so it's good to see some.

Why do you say "just as likely", though?  Because that is probably the most important question with him - how likely is it that he starts next year?  Do you think it's 50/50 they bring in an early round back?  Or that Terrance West is more than a backup? What's the actual concern from the anti Dixon people and why? 

I agree about the latter.  There just hasn't been much news about him so it's good to see some.

Why do you say "just as likely", though?  Because that is probably the most important question with him - how likely is it that he starts next year?  Do you think it's 50/50 they bring in an early round back?  Or that Terrance West is more than a backup? What's the actual concern from the anti Dixon people and why? 
I'm not anti-Dixon (own him in 1 league), but I really don't consider this "news" at all- he was asked a question about him in the presser, and gave what I consider a pretty luke-warm answer. Far more important (and damning, IMO) is Harbaugh saying that they need to add a RB back in January. Why would he say that if he thought Dixon was the answer? It may work out for him that no RBs are BPA when the Ravens draft, but I think it's pretty clear that they hope there is, so I'd say it's 50/50 that they add a RB in the first few rounds.

I also have concerns with the team in general- the O-line wasn't very good last year (especially at run blocking), and they just lost their starting RT. The play calling was terrible as well, and I know they keep saying that they want to run it more, but they said it after they replaced the OC during the season yet they didn't. I just feel like a lot of things have to go his way for him to be more than a RB 3 next year.

Users who are viewing this thread