What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Darren Waller, NYG (4 Viewers)

No guarantee info yet that I've seen, but sounds like $9M/year in new money and some security? They love him obviously, this is a good sign for his value for anyone who was afraid he'd leave and turn into Jared Cook. They did this after like 5 games...I can imagine he hasn't peaked yet. 

Rotoworld:

Raiders signed Darren Waller to a contract extension through 2023.

Waller was going to be a restricted free agent in 2020, so the Raiders are getting ahead of the market to sign their breakout tight end to a long-term deal. NFL Media's Tom Pelissero reports Waller is expected to receive $9 million annually on the three new years of his contract, which makes Waller a top-10 paid tight end. It's a fantastic story for a player who has battled addiction as a young adult. Waller will bring his 71.8 yards per game average to Green Bay for a Week 7 matchup with the Packers. He's earned every-week TE1 status with his early-season performances.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Oct 16, 2019, 9:23 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
What an awesome story this is. Really happy for Waller, totally earned this. 

And great thing for the Raiders to do -- certainly there is a self-interest piece about not letting a prime piece of the offense go, but also great to see them committing to developing their own players from within, and rewarding high performance and effort.

Darren Waller (foot) was downgraded to "limited" in Thursday's practice.

You never want to see a mid-week downgrade, but there has yet to be any indication that Waller's Week 7 status is in doubt. Friday will tell the tale. With Tyrell Williams (foot) on the shelf, Waller's floor will be even higher than usual in Green Bay.

Oct 17, 2019, 5:41 PM ET

I like Waller and am happy he has a big time deal. I just hope it has the same structure as TyWill and Joyner - essentially a 1 yr deal with a series of three annual team-controlled options to keep the player at the same (elevated) salary or cut bait without a cap hit.

For real, it's time to start talking about how highly ranked he is in dynasty now that he has the contract extension. He's a beast.

Great week to have to start him in flex. Made up for my TE1 Engram egg. He looks fantastic. Should have had even bigger day and 150/3 but holding negated his best TD. 

I'm not sure who I'm selling for straight up in dynasty. 

Darren Waller caught 7-of-8 targets for 126 yards and two touchdowns in the Raiders' Week 7 loss to the Packers.

Sitting on zero scores coming into the afternoon, Waller regressed to the mean, even scoring a third touchdown that got called back by offensive holding. Waller's lone missed target came in the end zone, where Derek Carr forced the ball into double coverage for an interception. Waller's second score that counted came from backup Mike Glennon in garbage time. The Raiders' No. 1 pass catcher, especially as Tyrell Williams battles a foot issue without a return timeline, Waller will remain a cinch top-five option for Week 8 in Houston.

Oct 20, 2019, 4:11 PM ET

Have Kelce, Hooper, and Waller on my dynasty team. Good thing as the rest of my team has deteriorated quickly. Might have to try move one of them for help elsewhere.

Have Kelce, Hooper, and Waller on my dynasty team. Good thing as the rest of my team has deteriorated quickly. Might have to try move one of them for help elsewhere.
Might?  :lmao:  Go, Go now! I thought I had it bad in a redraft with Engram, Waller, Henry. I can't get legit offers.

Every time I see this thread bumped, my heart sort of stops. Really. I hope this young man (this guy sounds too informal) really keeps it together. He'll have a nice career ahead of him if he can. 

If this is accurate, Waller is only guaranteed 3M total and nothing beyond this season?! Am I alone in thinking he got absolutely robbed?
Waller has been excellent, but it's also been just half a season. He's a widely noted former drug addict and as such it makes sense to reward him with a nice bump this season, but then protect the team with a pay-as-you-go deal with top-ten TE annual salary, if he keeps his head straight and performance up. For whatever reason, Waller and his reps took the hand-bird money now (rather than wait until this offseason) and bet on him to keep playing at a high enough level to satisfy the Raiders over the next four years.

This is the type of deal the Raiders have been offering recent signees regularly, and they've been taking it. Only Trent Brown (2 years) and Tony Clown (3 years) were offered longer than one year guarantees. Mayock seems able to sell guys on betting on themselves with likely (much) bigger annual numbers than they are seeing elsewhere, but less long-term guarantees in case things go sideways - as they seem to be doing so for both Ty Williams and Lamarcus Joyner.

Waller has been excellent, but it's also been just half a season. He's a widely noted former drug addict and as such it makes sense to reward him with a nice bump this season, but then protect the team with a pay-as-you-go deal with top-ten TE annual salary, if he keeps his head straight and performance up. For whatever reason, Waller and his reps took the hand-bird money now (rather than wait until this offseason) and bet on him to keep playing at a high enough level to satisfy the Raiders over the next four years.

This is the type of deal the Raiders have been offering recent signees regularly, and they've been taking it. Only Trent Brown (2 years) and Tony Clown (3 years) were offered longer than one year guarantees. Mayock seems able to sell guys on betting on themselves with likely (much) bigger annual numbers than they are seeing elsewhere, but less long-term guarantees in case things go sideways - as they seem to be doing so for both Ty Williams and Lamarcus Joyner.
I am pretty sure they can offer guaranteed money that would be voided in the event that Waller popped for a substance. And while it has only been 5 games, he's been damn convincing to me. He's an absolute freak. I'd have no problems betting on myself in his shoes or those of his agent.

I guess I can't fault the Raiders for making the offer and Waller did accept it. But the contract details did take a bit of the shine off the feel good story for me.

^^^ No need, it's still a feel good story, just protects the Raiders in case he relapses or proves a pan-flash longer term.

Dude went from being a hair from out of the league to practice squad to making nothing active roster player to guaranteed $3mm this yr and another $7.5mm guaranteed at the beginning of next year, plus $6-7mm more at the beginning of each of the next three years after that.

Play well and there is a clear path to make $30mm. Play really well and I am sure they would negotiate that higher with a holdout if necessary.

Waller the baller is a monster success story.

^^^ No need, it's still a feel good story, just protects the Raiders in case he relapses or proves a pan-flash longer term.

Dude went from being a hair from out of the league to practice squad to making nothing active roster player to guaranteed $3mm this yr and another $7.5mm guaranteed at the beginning of next year, plus $6-7mm more at the beginning of each of the next three years after that.

Play well and there is a clear path to make $30mm. Play really well and I am sure they would negotiate that higher with a holdout if necessary.

Waller the baller is a monster success story.
Are you sure it's guaranteed at the start of each season? OTC shows that it all falls under base salary, which would be paid on a game by game basis, if I understand correctly.

It's still a great story, but 3M guaranteed over 4 years just feels criminal. Here's hoping he earns the rest and then some.

Are you sure it's guaranteed at the start of each season? OTC shows that it all falls under base salary, which would be paid on a game by game basis, if I understand correctly.

It's still a great story, but 3M guaranteed over 4 years just feels criminal. Here's hoping he earns the rest and then some.
Not 100%, but I thought that any veteran player who is on the roster week 1 has his base salary then guaranteed for that year. My understand was that this is why vets are often cut to end preseason and then re-signed week 2.

He's an addict. I'm pulling for the guy, but that's a life long battle. It's smart of the Raiders to protect themselves. Even if Waller does relapse and #### up, I'm damn sure Mark Davis will try get him the help Waller needs. They won't leave him out to dry completely.

He's an addict. I'm pulling for the guy, but that's a life long battle. It's smart of the Raiders to protect themselves. Even if Waller does relapse and #### up, I'm damn sure Mark Davis will try get him the help Waller needs. They won't leave him out to dry completely.
It’s certainly smart to lock him up with no risk. But they could have protected themselves from substance related issues and still given him some guaranteed money. 

It’s certainly smart to lock him up with no risk. But they could have protected themselves from substance related issues and still given him some guaranteed money. 
Yeah, I dunno that it's as black and white as you are making it. Addicts are often people with underlying mental health issues, who are essentially self-medicating. He doesn't need to pop on a drug screen for some of those old demons to resurface and affect his play.

This is a contract where everybody wins. He receives $10mm guaranteed if he is on the roster week 1 next season by signing this deal. All considered, that's not bad at all.

Yeah, I dunno that it's as black and white as you are making it. Addicts are often people with underlying mental health issues, who are essentially self-medicating. He doesn't need to pop on a drug screen for some of those old demons to resurface and affect his play.

This is a contract where everybody wins. He receives $10mm guaranteed if he is on the roster week 1 next season by signing this deal. All considered, that's not bad at all.
Waller is the only party assuming any risk. That would not be the case had he waited until he had leverage next season. If the Raiders didn’t want to assume any risk, another team would have. Look at what Trey Burton and Cameron Brate got recently; Waller was going to get PAID. Waller put a cap on his pay ceiling and didn’t get much security in return

Waller signed the contract, so he’s obviously happy enough with it, but he’s clearly not a winner here. It’s fine that we disagree, of course, but I see this as a bad deal for him.

Waller is the only party assuming any risk. That would not be the case had he waited until he had leverage next season. If the Raiders didn’t want to assume any risk, another team would have. Look at what Trey Burton and Cameron Brate got recently; Waller was going to get PAID. Waller put a cap on his pay ceiling and didn’t get much security in return

Waller signed the contract, so he’s obviously happy enough with it, but he’s clearly not a winner here. It’s fine that we disagree, of course, but I see this as a bad deal for him.
Definitely agree to disagree, respectfully. I don't see this as a huge win for Waller, but I definitely don't see it as a bad deal either. I think if it were so cut and dry that he'd get some gigantically bigger deal down the line, then he would've waited. Something compelled him to take the bird in hand. I suspect his agent said hey, take the $10 MM now, then play well enough to justify $7MM per annum later. And if you exceed that pay with your performance, we'll just hold out in two years when there are two years left and get you and even bigger, market-adjusted deal at that point, after you've already pocketed $17MM from this deal. If he's playing well enough to exceed the annual pay of this deal, then that means he'll be playing well enough to have significant leverage in a future holdout. IMHO

Definitely agree to disagree, respectfully. I don't see this as a huge win for Waller, but I definitely don't see it as a bad deal either. I think if it were so cut and dry that he'd get some gigantically bigger deal down the line, then he would've waited. Something compelled him to take the bird in hand. I suspect his agent said hey, take the $10 MM now, then play well enough to justify $7MM per annum later. And if you exceed that pay with your performance, we'll just hold out in two years when there are two years left and get you and even bigger, market-adjusted deal at that point, after you've already pocketed $17MM from this deal. If he's playing well enough to exceed the annual pay of this deal, then that means he'll be playing well enough to have significant leverage in a future holdout. IMHO
Exactly. Rarely do players finish contracts at the exact terms when they signed.

Darren Waller caught 2-of-8 targets for 11 yards and one touchdown in Oakland's Week 8 loss to the Texans.

Waller began the game lined up out wide against ex-teammate Gareon Conley but it was ultimately Tyrell Williams (3/91/1) who returned to thrive against Houston's banged up secondary. Even so, Waller quietly led the team with eight targets and connected with Derek Carr on a second-and-goal laser from eight yards out for one of the signal caller's three scores on the afternoon. Second only to Austin Hooper in catches (52 to 46) and fantasy points at their respective position, Waller remains a Top 3 matchup-proof option pacing for 105/1,133/7 in his first season as Oakland's starting tight end.

Oct 27, 2019, 10:24 PM ET

He also had a pretty nice 40ish gainer negates by dubious pick call that was challenged. For me it's him and Kittle at 1a and 1b in Dynasty. Can make a case for Engram if that O evolves. 

Darren Waller caught 2-of-2 targets for 52 yards in the Raiders' Week 9 win over the Lions.

Derek Carr was dealing, finishing with 289 yards and two touchdowns on 31 pass attempts, but Waller just wasn't involved outside of two chunk gains. It was an odd game for the fantasy TE1, especially since the final score was 31-24, but it's one to largely forget about moving forward. Waller remains one of the eight every-week TE1 options and has a decent home matchup with the Chargers next. That one will be on Thursday evening.

Nov 3, 2019, 7:22 PM ET

Excited for the Thursday Night showcase.

But not so excited about the targets Moreau gets, especially end zone wise and the emergence of Renfrow.

But not so excited about the targets Moreau gets, especially end zone wise and the emergence of Renfrow.
Love presence of Moreau as dynasty insurance. Picked him up cheap. He looks good and l'll gladly lose 10-15% production in premium for that kind of insurance policy.

As a Raider fan, it's great to have viable targets emerge.   As a Waller owner, it's disappointing.    It is likely that Waller isn't going to have a big second half of the season.  Carr just has other options now.   

Nice gain on that last catch.  Need Rivers to score quickly and get this game moving.   
Well, Rivers got sacked instead.   Raiders need to score quickly so SD can abandon their effective run game.  That's the only reason for SD to abandon that run game.   Gordon is running at will. 

Should have sold high. He's just another average TE now with little upside. 
Way too premature of a take. The entire Raider receiving corps didn't light up the scoreboard -- no one had more than 43 yards, and the best receiver was Richard who gained all of his yards in the last few series.

Chargers are a solid, if not underrated, pass D. Hayward is a special talent and can play shut down still. They came off a game where they stymied Rodgers and Hayward was central to keeping Adams under 43 yards too. Desmond King is no slouch either.

As good as this team can be against WRs, they are that much better against TEs. FBGs had a great stat on this -- TEs have had TDs against the Chargers just once, and the Chargers have allowed TEs >30 yards just twice.

It is true that Renfrow is coming around. That only means good things for Waller in space above the underneath and in/slant routes that Renfrow is developing.

He'll be solid, especially as the Raiders keep staying on the upswing offensively.

Darren Waller caught 3-of-5 targets for 40 yards in the Raiders' Week 10 win over the Chargers.

Waller had limited opportunities in a game where the Chargers dominated time of possession, but he now has just seven total targets over his past two games, and 103 yards over his past three. He did contribute a 27-yard catch this evening. Waller has a slump-busting Week 11 matchup in the folded Bengals.

Nov 8, 2019, 12:13 AM ET

So anybody considering dropping Waller?  I have Kittle as my other TE (and we can only start one TE - can't be put into flex spot).  Obviously in my case I can't do that right away, at least not until Kittle starts to look healthy again, but mostly I've been carrying Waller to keep him away from others.  And if he keeps doing what he has been doing, I don't want to keep him away from others.  We have a short bench so I'd much rather stash a potential RB breakout than a TE putting up 3 for 40 numbers on a regular basis.

So anybody considering dropping Waller?  I have Kittle as my other TE (and we can only start one TE - can't be put into flex spot).  Obviously in my case I can't do that right away, at least not until Kittle starts to look healthy again, but mostly I've been carrying Waller to keep him away from others.  And if he keeps doing what he has been doing, I don't want to keep him away from others.  We have a short bench so I'd much rather stash a potential RB breakout than a TE putting up 3 for 40 numbers on a regular basis.
Yes drop Waller. He is a wasted roster spot even if he is a top 3 TE with a positional scarcity of a wasteland. Trading does you no good. 

Users who are viewing this thread