What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (12 Viewers)

Otis said:
I was doing hour long rows last winter. They’re hard and awesome. I could probably start doing those again if I start getting up at 5 again. Otherwise kids making it impossible to get more than 30mins in the morning.  Maybe I’ll start doing that. 
The exercise is great but your diet is your downfall.   The booze tends to open the floodgates.  Make a realistic plan for the month and stick with it.    It’s not easy to lose weight but it’s not impossible either.   With a little dedication and determination, you can end 2020 ten pounds lighter.   

Just did my first new 'Advanced Bodyweight Workout', I'm using the one about halfway down the page.  Going to start logging here.

Walked 35 mins.  

Did 3 circuits of the following, with cool down stretch took 30 mins.  I'll count it as 25 mins.  

20 Bodyweight Squats
10 Walking Lunges (each leg)
20 Jump Ups (10 leading w/ each leg, these suck)
6 inverted bodyweight rows – overhand grip on table (these are hard, just did from waist up and tried to go very slow)
8 Dips
6 inverted bodyweight rows – underhand grip on table (these are also hard, just did from waist up and went slow)
15 Push-Ups
45 Second Plank
30 Jumping Jacks

Overall, this workout kicked my butt.  The Jump Ups really got the heart rate soaring.  Seems much heavier on the arms/shoulders, the beginner workout also seemed to rotate arm and leg movements, this one seems to be heavy legs to start then all arms in the middle.  I like to alternate so I may reorder the movements.  I don't like the bodyweight rows, seem awkward on the table.  I have a pullup/chinup bar, but need a chair that I can use for the assisted part.  May just buy a cheap metal folding chair.  I was a little surprised I could do 8 dips easily, will bump this to 10 next time.  

One hour today brings me to 3 hours for the month.  

ok brohans so i am just staying in my range and trying to work in planks squats pushups etc and feel like i am getting stronger again and definitely seeing it in my arms and shoulders but my stomach is still flabby i lost a ton of weight over the past 8 months so fred if you are looking for a new lets do this goal i would respectfully request a gut toning workout thanks in advance take that to the bank bromigos 
Yes I'm on board I need core work. I was going to start doing yoga with adriene ab workouts but if anyone has better ideas I'm all ears.

Mostly I think planks side planks boats and boat ups maybe twisted crunchy things are all good. 

Just did my first new 'Advanced Bodyweight Workout', I'm using the one about halfway down the page.  Going to start logging here.

Walked 35 mins.  

Did 3 circuits of the following, with cool down stretch took 30 mins.  I'll count it as 25 mins.  

20 Bodyweight Squats
10 Walking Lunges (each leg)
20 Jump Ups (10 leading w/ each leg, these suck)
6 inverted bodyweight rows – overhand grip on table (these are hard, just did from waist up and tried to go very slow)
8 Dips
6 inverted bodyweight rows – underhand grip on table (these are also hard, just did from waist up and went slow)
15 Push-Ups
45 Second Plank
30 Jumping Jacks

Overall, this workout kicked my butt.  The Jump Ups really got the heart rate soaring.  Seems much heavier on the arms/shoulders, the beginner workout also seemed to rotate arm and leg movements, this one seems to be heavy legs to start then all arms in the middle.  I like to alternate so I may reorder the movements.  I don't like the bodyweight rows, seem awkward on the table.  I have a pullup/chinup bar, but need a chair that I can use for the assisted part.  May just buy a cheap metal folding chair.  I was a little surprised I could do 8 dips easily, will bump this to 10 next time.  

One hour today brings me to 3 hours for the month.  
I just revisited the site.  Their list calls for 'bodyweight dips', I don't have a dip rack so I'm doing dips from a bench with my feet on the floor, that's why they are easier.  I'll up the number a decent amount for the next workout.  

I just revisited the site.  Their list calls for 'bodyweight dips', I don't have a dip rack so I'm doing dips from a bench with my feet on the floor, that's why they are easier.  I'll up the number a decent amount for the next workout.  
I'm also not doing Jump Ups right.  Son of a...  

Yes I'm on board I need core work. I was going to start doing yoga with adriene ab workouts but if anyone has better ideas I'm all ears.

Mostly I think planks side planks boats and boat ups maybe twisted crunchy things are all good. 
its just all flabby from losing gut fat i need to tighten this stuff up and get tight take that to the bank fredmigo 

Completed Week 6, Day 3 (column 3) of pushup challenge - 26, 26, 33, 33, 26, 26, 22, 22, 60.  This was probably my best day of the challenge.  I felt really, really good for the first 8 sets.  On set 9, I had to take a pause at round 45 (in plank) but completed the 60 without hitting the knees.  I'm going for 100 on Friday and I feel fairly confident now.  

Also, I ended the day with a 30 minute body combat routine (which was very cardio heavy).  Overall 55 minutes of exercise (total for November = 195 minutes).  I'm taking a break from body combat the next few days and sticking to walking/running.  I want my body to be ready for Friday.

I don't recommend mine from yesterday. I turned off myfitnesspal and my primary activity was drinking wine. 
We did the same.  I did row in the morning; I did eat well all day.  But then, well, election.  So, yeah, plentiful wine.

Just a 40 minute walk for me as well today.  Total at 235 minutes for the month.  Tomorrow would like to do a 30 minute run/walk combo during the day and a 30 minute bike ride at night.  Friday is 100 pushup challenge and then hopefully an hour long body combat.  

Got a good night's sleep and man does that make a difference.  I was dragging yesterday. Looking forward to my row and run tonight during the football game but might just watch the first half and go to bed. I feel like @Otisdiscovering a new trick. Doctors hate me!

Like others, yesterday was a little rough.  Walked for 45 mins and that was it.  Will get back on track today.

Went over my calories by ~100.  Also got some good sleep last night and feel much better today.  

3.75 hours for the month. 

Just did my Advanced Bodyweight Workout.  Man this thing is tough.  35 min warmup walk and 25 min of circuit.  (10ish minute cooldown stretch that I'm not counting for the monthly challenge.)

10 Bodyweight Squats
10 Walking Lunges
16 Jump Ups (these just plan suck
3 Assisted Pull-Ups (jumped from floor, as slow as possible back down)
8 Dips (feet on floor as far from my bench as possible)
3 Assisted Chin-Ups (jumped from floor, as slow as possible back down)
15 Push-Ups
60 Second Plank
30 Jumping Jacks

Doing the plank while trying to catch the breath from the others is just brutal.  

May try to sneak in another walk today, if work doesn't get in the way.

4.75 hours for the month. 

Got a good night's sleep and man does that make a difference.  I was dragging yesterday. Looking forward to my row and run tonight during the football game but might just watch the first half and go to bed. I feel like @Otisdiscovering a new trick. Doctors hate me!
40 minutes on the treadmill and then I opened wine

I really do feel like @Otis discovering a new trick 

I am not a doctor but I hate me

Rest + diet + exercise + manage stress --> success

So I signed up for some thing called Optavia. Someone I work with is doing it and I figured what the hell. 

Sounds like it’s totally stupid. But let’s face it that’s never scared me off a diet before.  Basically you pay a lot of money and they send you protein bars you eat all day and then you’re supposed to eat meat and greens for dinner.   Now I got some diet coach texting me every day and asking to do an intro phone call and I’m like “look lady I don’t need no coach, I know all about diets, I’m Otis, and if anything Bfred is my coach” *click*

Stuff is arriving today. I’ll give it a shot. What do I have to lose. 

So I signed up for some thing called Optavia. Someone I work with is doing it and I figured what the hell. 

Sounds like it’s totally stupid. But let’s face it that’s never scared me off a diet before.  Basically you pay a lot of money and they send you protein bars you eat all day and then you’re supposed to eat meat and greens for dinner.   Now I got some diet coach texting me every day and asking to do an intro phone call and I’m like “look lady I don’t need no coach, I know all about diets, I’m Otis, and if anything Bfred is my coach” *click*

Wait.  Weight.

Good luck.   Sounds simple.  

I am not a doctor and don't give medical advice but just in case it would be cool if you stopped telling randos I was your coach

Optavia appears to be a similar concept to the Ideal Protein stuff I did a few years ago. They all work if you can stick to them.

Poor sleep this week (which I suspect is fairly common) is wrecking my performance. I was was down to a 20:31 pace today. I'll get my regular ration tonight.

vacation didn't ruin me   :lmao:    

now, time to get ready for the next one!!   :pickle:   

headed to the mountains in 16 days. 

goals prior to that trip:  no booze.(may have a glass of wine for my birthday)  12 hours of run/walk/hike  100+/pushups daily  8 yoga sessions.  leg day, at least 4x

Push-up challenge complete - 82.  I have no interest in repeating this as I think 100 consecutive is out of reach.  Proud of all of us who stuck with it.  

Push-up challenge complete - 82.  I have no interest in repeating this as I think 100 consecutive is out of reach.  Proud of all of us who stuck with it.  
solid!  that's awesome.

i think i'm going to do week 6 and then go for 100.  after drinking rum all week,  today i did,  25 decline/25 incline (zero rest) ran a mile, walk/hiked 2 more.  and then knocked out 50 regular.  no issues.  

What do you guys use for at home work outs? Like, I like doing yoga with adriene, but i feel lost after I do the 30 day challenge. 

Stretched out my walk a bit today because It's gorgeous outside. In fact, I can't believe I'm spending four hours yelling at my TV. College football is dumb.

The scale says I gained 0.4 pounds this week, which could be explained by poor sleep. If you're being generous with yourself, which I am.

I assume you're looking for a home workout?  Do you have any equipment (e.g. treadmill, bike, weights, etc)?  Yoga seems to be working well for a lot of people in here and it sort of works out a little bit of everything.  For cardio, there are tons of free HIIT (high intensity, interval training) workouts on youtube.  Sydney Cummings has a few 30-60 day programs.  I used to do those a lot (still do occasionally).  A few of us have been doing push-ups regularly and it's amazing how strong you can get quickly by doing them regularly.  I subscribe to a program called Les Mills ($10 a month) which has tons of different types of workouts that require no equipment.  I do something called body combat where I burn 600 calories in an hour (and you can do shorter versions as well).  Youtube alone has so many different free workouts that should be able to match whatever your style is.    

Update: Intermittent fasting has to be the best thing I've done to strip weight without changing a lot of what I eat and drink. And after a while you kind of enjoy not being so FULL all the time. It's not for everyone but my wife was doing so well and I wanted to support her in any way I could so I joined with her and also I wanted to see if what she was doing was actually unhealthy, wouldn't want her hurting herself. 

She has lost quite a bit in a fairly short period of time, I'll say she has been at it maybe 6 weeks, 8 weeks. If I had to guess she's lost maybe 20 pounds over that stretch where she usually is lucky to lose 1 lb a week or less when she is on WW as an example. 

I have found my way below the target I had set a while back...but I want to say that I enjoyed just maintaining what I lost while others regained after things started opening again. I'm ready to hole up and go hermit all over again, it did me a lot of good and got me to not just focus on myself but how to position myself to where I can be helpful to other people. Some of my Tennis mates have taken me aside and asked me to help them lose weight...1st thing I tell them "The Courts are not your gym" and it likely is what and when you are eating. All of them confess to eating large amounts of food well past supper time and that's a recipe for disaster in my book. 

I am more focused on waist size than actual weight, I'm about a 34 inch waist now, 6-3 so that's good but I'd like to see if I can somehow find the elusive 32 which would be really lean and my wife has asked me not to get so thin people start handing me food. 

I'm not where I would truly like to be mentally, however I am getting a lot of comments when I go out in public like the Tennis Courts where my new knick name of late is "Skinny" which I prefer Spin Doctor when I am playing Tennis 😆  

The mental thing is where I am going to end up eventually, not sure how I can navigate that yet but I see a direct relation to food and emotions or feelings, when I am depressed I usually want to eat something terrible and that makes it worse. 

Read this Book: The Obesity Code, it's eye opening and fairly easy to read, maybe a week if you read slow. Talks about a lot of bad habits we all have, fasting, etc...

This post is more emotional than the last one. My wife and I were discussing how things have perhaps gone badly for some health wise thru the pandemic and then others seem to be doing much better working from home and finding more free time to do the things they have always wanted (My wife is one of those folks). Our lives in many ways is simplified and we're happier with each other, so I want to thank you all for working with me. Why would I say that?

Working on myself and all those daily trips on bike/run, focusing on how much sugar I take in daily(it was a lot!) and admitting that I have a drinking problem when I allow it to get out of control and spiral into self pity and depression. I have a couple other vices that likely are going to have to go away perm like Weed which I smoke too much but can't seem to slowly get off of it. 

In the end, whatever events happened to you along the way to get you to the point where you stand currently, that doesn't matter. What matters is how you see yourself moving forward, you cannot go back. That's one of my biggest lessons of 2020 as I was logging all those miles. Stop thinking about what you missed and focus on what you can hit right here right now. 

I feel like I have a part of my life back that was missing since my mother died when I was 21 years old, she was 46, same age I am currently. I did not want to face what was weighing me down,  But I do not have to follow her or my father who passed away from prostate cancer in his late 50s. He didn't eat healthy either even though he wasn't heavy.  

When I get my anxiety attacks which have been less and less there is one glaring thing that comes up across the board, a recipe for MOP to become the monster we all hate...Not exercising or simply walking(BTW, it was Otis who pointed this out). I usually will find myself at the end of my rope if I go let's say a week without any activity outside. Fresh Air is where it's at folks. Away from stimulating things like TV, phones, radios, electronics, put them all down and get outside. 

Cheers Everyone! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Completed Week 6, Day 3 (column 3) of pushup challenge - 26, 26, 33, 33, 26, 26, 22, 22, 60.  This was probably my best day of the challenge.  I felt really, really good for the first 8 sets.  On set 9, I had to take a pause at round 45 (in plank) but completed the 60 without hitting the knees.  I'm going for 100 on Friday and I feel fairly confident now.  

Also, I ended the day with a 30 minute body combat routine (which was very cardio heavy).  Overall 55 minutes of exercise (total for November = 195 minutes).  I'm taking a break from body combat the next few days and sticking to walking/running.  I want my body to be ready for Friday.
My we've been a busy boy of late haven't we?

Holy ####, that's awesome. 

I'm jealous

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor sleep this week (which I suspect is fairly common) is wrecking my performance. I was was down to a 20:31 pace today. I'll get my regular ration tonight.
Sleep is so important to health. It helps immensely with weight when you can get to sleep at night and stay down. It's hard to eat when you're sleeping for 8 hours. I am lucky to get 5-6 a night, i just pop up. 

vacation didn't ruin me   :lmao:    

now, time to get ready for the next one!!   :pickle:   

headed to the mountains in 16 days. 

goals prior to that trip:  no booze.(may have a glass of wine for my birthday)  12 hours of run/walk/hike  100+/pushups daily  8 yoga sessions.  leg day, at least 4x
Tahoe? First snow was this weekend. Air quality is going to be fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread