What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (10 Viewers)

So I went out mountain biking again for the first time since crashing. Came home in one piece this time, thankfully.

When I got to the regional park where I like to ride I was heading to the first trail and on a bridge that crosses a creek when I saw some splashing in the water. I thought it must be an abnormally large fish that somehow got washed into the creek from the dam upstream. I pulled over to check it out and it turned out to be two river otters playing. Not only had I never seen one in the wild, but I didn’t know we had them in California, much less the Bay Area.

Later on as I was bombing down a hill, there was a bobcat standing about 6 feet off the trail. I slammed the brakes and climbed back up to check it out. Was cool just getting to sit there and watch it casually stroll across the hillside until it was out of sight. In all my years hiking and biking here I had never seen a bobcat before but always wanted to, and now I’ve seen one in each of my last two rides. Seeing the wildlife arguably got my adrenaline pumping as much as the single track.

There is so much natural beauty out there that makes getting outdoors and experiencing it a rewarding bonus to the health benefits the exercise provides. 

bostonfred said:
ok so I'm noticing a couple trends here.  

I guess she got in a car accident before shooting this one which she mentions a couple times, and this has been a lot more stretching and core than power flows and sweat.  At least it seems that way to me. I wonder if she was just doing a little more of the stuff that would help her recover. Might explain why she had us do cow legs again. 

The other thing is she's swearing, and somehow I'm embarrassed, like no not in front of Adriene, she's so pure... wait, that was Adriene saying the s word and talking about farting a lot recently.  It's kind of fun and a little weird.  

Today was day 11, 45 minutes of bendy stretch twists and then by the way af minute 43 shes like don't lie down just yet lets get into a boat pose and swing your torso and arms back and forth while kicking your toes at alternate rhythm and go fast while shes like ten more seconds just kidding let me tell you a long adriene story while you get angry at me. 

Feel great though. 
Day 12 is a quick one with crow pose and some stretchy lungey stuff. 

One thing I'm finding myself doing much better is vinyasas  I used to go quickly through them and then quickly push into a big arched back cobra and rush to down dog, but slowing myself on the way down really makes a difference. 

It was 49 degrees when I went out this morning, and I thought I'd be okay in shorts and a hoodie. Big mistake. The wind was howling, and I suffered for the first half of my walk, into the wind. As a result, I blasted around at an 18:47 pace. No injuries, though. 

The scale says I gained 1.1 pounds this week. I was drinks last night, so I'm not surprised. We move on. 

I have been living and running all my exercise thru the Tennis Courts and I needed something to kick start the other things I enjoy like cycling and walking with my wife. 

-Rained out of Tennis yesterday morning so 12 men went to breakfast, most over the age of 50...😆  and the talk at the table somehow made me realize I needed to get my wife back in the routine of doing some activities with me, very selfish just to play Tennis constantly and never check in with her and where she is at.

Before I go any further though I think it's imperative that married folks approach health individually because typically the group/combo effort is not working too well. My wife will tell you I fattened her up this week when I selfishly brought a bag of chips into the house 😉.  I try not to discuss this angle much in here but it's a huge factor for a lot of the folks checking in for the first time in BF's other thread. 

-Last night went on a 2 hour cycle ride around 5:00, Sun was down by 5:45 and the night lights came on around the inside of our tires and last night happened to be the night they put out the candles in the little brown lunch bags along the driveways and streets, they had an actual Santa Clause for the kids to come sit on in front of one of these monster light displays and we found a street with a bunch on there and people singing Christmas Carols and of all the nights to pull the bikes out and get riding again, did we ever pick the night. I don't know what romantic means to all of you but my wife and I get very cozy when we experience things like that together, it brings out the best in us, again that's a nice side effect of being active and part of the journey I've had with all of you in 2020. 

I need to check in more, I sometimes don't post in here for many days to a week+ thinking I'm OK but I lose focus and little lbs accumulate on my tummy and the scale when I am not careful. 

Out of the 2 hours last night, I'll say 90 minutes was continuous and we even kicked in an extra 4-5 miles on the way back extending the ride, just a gorgeous night in South Florida. 

I am likely to have some big news in the coming weeks as we go into 2021, Mrs and I are approaching life with an open mind and not feeling sorry for ourselves or anything pandemic related. In fact we are approaching it with an attitude of wonder and adventure because when I get a negative thought pattern or go into my depression, nothing really good comes of it. I did write up a workplace/career thread but you don't have to read it, it only took a couple posts and I realized quickly I just need to stay positive. Nobody is attracted to negativity...usually. 

That bike ride was just what I needed to clear my head and I am going to make an effort to get out there with my lady at least 2-3 times a week and try to motivate her to want to move around when I am off playing Tennis...I am thinking of getting her a new racket and taking her out to just hit balls for 30-45 minutes. 

Home stretch this week before the Holidays kick in 👍

Day 12 is a quick one with crow pose and some stretchy lungey stuff. 

One thing I'm finding myself doing much better is vinyasas  I used to go quickly through them and then quickly push into a big arched back cobra and rush to down dog, but slowing myself on the way down really makes a difference. 
Dayn13 she's like hey let's do some restoration poses and just feel good and on by the way this one feels really good in bed and then she starts laughing and shes like but seriously and there's no question that she means it's good for ####### and wow what is going on with her lol but I'm not complaining. Spent the next few minutes doing cat cow and I'm like yeah this is the one we do but kind of veering off the railroad tracks and honestly it was hard not to day dream a bit. Redid day 6 afterwards to get a little extra core work. 

Day 14 is all flow and working up a little sweat. 

Finally bought a scale and weighed myself for first time since early September. Weighed in at 175, down 10 pounds since last weigh-in.

Bought a body fat% scale, and pretty sure it’s worthless. Says I’m 30.4% body fat. I still have a few pounds to lose, but no way  am I 25 or so pounds overweight still. I’m guessing it uses my height and weight and simply guesses.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
i am back brohans sorry for being gone for a while i have just been busy and forgot first can somone quote this and tell me when otis is coming back we need that brohan around plain and simple second i got a fancy new exercise bike and i am riding that since it is so cold here now in cream city land and i do not like walking in the dark that is one thing about the big whisky this time of year it gets dark early and it stays dark late and it can actually get you down not seeing the sun but with my bike now i see my tv while i burn the calories so that is good still staying fit probably picked up 5 lbs through thanksgiving but now i am losing it again and thats good i have not drank and have stayed off of coffee so life is good and i feel pride in my willpower so boom i hope everyone is hanging in there and lets keep on keepin on take that to the bank bromigos 

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven’t posted in this thread in a long time, but thought I would check in as I am happy with my 2020 results, but really want to take the next step in 2021.  I have gone from weight 212.3 lbs on Feb 3rd with a body fat of 21.4% to 176 lbs and body fat of 13.5% today.   Ive learned a lot of the last 10 months or so (not all was just learned, but finally applied some of it) so thought I would share a few things that I continually tell myself now:

1) Stop making excuses - for years I would always say “ill start dieting when xyz happens” or “ill start on Monday” and it would just be a cycle where I would yo-yo.   There is no better time to start that immediately, and there are no real excuses.  If you want to lose weight and feel better, make it a priority.  I constantly gave myself “outs” so if you are doing the same, stop it

2) it is 80% what you eat, 20% how you work out.  Ive always heard that, but never actually applied it.  I love sweets, pizza, burgers, fries, basically all the food that’s not good for you.  But, find the healthy foods you like and eat before you are hungry.  I still indulge in my favorites once in awhile, but for the most part, dinner each night is either salmon or chicken, mixed with mushrooms, onions, peppers and Brussel sprouts that I sauté with some cauliflower rice (occasionally brown rice).  I don’t aid any oils or anything to avoid the extra calories, but I love this meal.  Could eat it every night...and it’s healthy.  You might not like that meal specifically, but find a few that you like, and keep rotating them

3) don’t have food you shouldn’t eat in the house.  This sounds easy, but just don’t buy it.  Tougher if you have young kids, but in that case just make sure you have healthy snacks for yourself.  Ive eaten more mixed nuts, green apples and celery with peanut butter in the last year than I have my whole life.  And I enjoy those things too

4) just like food, find the exercises you love then ease into others to supplement.  I love endurance things, like biking and running.  So I could do those, but despised lifting.  So I started by just trying to do 100 push ups a day with some crunches.  After a few months I went to 150 a day.  Just drop down and do a set whenever you can.   I then threw in some bicep and tricep workouts.  And then I started to really enjoy it.  I now have the bow flex 552 dumbbells and a bench at my house and do full body workouts.  1 year ago I would have never thought I would enjoy lifting like I have for the last 3 months.  Now I can’t get enough of it, and I think its because I eased my way in, and realized the results will come with time.

5) find some motivation.  I started on Feb 3rd because I knew I had our first kid coming in the next 3 months after that.  I had lower back issues so I wanted to drop some weight and strengthen my core so I could carry the baby around without my back going out.   I also wanted to get healthy to set an example for my upcoming baby and to prolong my life.   Find something like that.  Doesn’t have to be a baby, it could be your current family/friends.

Im sure I’m leaving a few things out I meant to put in here but just had a call come in and lost my train of thought.

Anyway, wanted to post also to hold myself accountable for the next 4 months before a beach trip.  So here they are:

1)  throughout these last 10 months I have twice gone to Texas for a month to stay with the in-laws.  Both times I came back with about 7-10lbs back on from what I had when I left.   My goal is to not let that happen this time, as I leave again on Thursday.  

2) be in the best shape of my life before the beach trip.  I’d love a 6 pack, but not sure that will ever happen, though I am going to try

3) reduce body fat while increasing weight.  This will all come down to if I can stay on a lifting plan and excel.  I never enjoyed lifting until recently, so need to keep it up.  My stretch goal for end of 2021 would be to be 185-190lbs at 12.5% body fat.  

Let’s do this!

ditka...mike ditka said:
Haven’t posted in this thread in a long time, but thought I would check in as I am happy with my 2020 results, but really want to take the next step in 2021.  I have gone from weight 212.3 lbs on Feb 3rd with a body fat of 21.4% to 176 lbs and body fat of 13.5% today.   Ive learned a lot of the last 10 months or so (not all was just learned, but finally applied some of it) so thought I would share a few things that I continually tell myself now:

1) Stop making excuses - for years I would always say “ill start dieting when xyz happens” or “ill start on Monday” and it would just be a cycle where I would yo-yo.   There is no better time to start that immediately, and there are no real excuses.  If you want to lose weight and feel better, make it a priority.  I constantly gave myself “outs” so if you are doing the same, stop it

2) it is 80% what you eat, 20% how you work out.  Ive always heard that, but never actually applied it.  I love sweets, pizza, burgers, fries, basically all the food that’s not good for you.  But, find the healthy foods you like and eat before you are hungry.  I still indulge in my favorites once in awhile, but for the most part, dinner each night is either salmon or chicken, mixed with mushrooms, onions, peppers and Brussel sprouts that I sauté with some cauliflower rice (occasionally brown rice).  I don’t aid any oils or anything to avoid the extra calories, but I love this meal.  Could eat it every night...and it’s healthy.  You might not like that meal specifically, but find a few that you like, and keep rotating them

3) don’t have food you shouldn’t eat in the house.  This sounds easy, but just don’t buy it.  Tougher if you have young kids, but in that case just make sure you have healthy snacks for yourself.  Ive eaten more mixed nuts, green apples and celery with peanut butter in the last year than I have my whole life.  And I enjoy those things too

4) just like food, find the exercises you love then ease into others to supplement.  I love endurance things, like biking and running.  So I could do those, but despised lifting.  So I started by just trying to do 100 push ups a day with some crunches.  After a few months I went to 150 a day.  Just drop down and do a set whenever you can.   I then threw in some bicep and tricep workouts.  And then I started to really enjoy it.  I now have the bow flex 552 dumbbells and a bench at my house and do full body workouts.  1 year ago I would have never thought I would enjoy lifting like I have for the last 3 months.  Now I can’t get enough of it, and I think its because I eased my way in, and realized the results will come with time.

5) find some motivation.  I started on Feb 3rd because I knew I had our first kid coming in the next 3 months after that.  I had lower back issues so I wanted to drop some weight and strengthen my core so I could carry the baby around without my back going out.   I also wanted to get healthy to set an example for my upcoming baby and to prolong my life.   Find something like that.  Doesn’t have to be a baby, it could be your current family/friends.

Im sure I’m leaving a few things out I meant to put in here but just had a call come in and lost my train of thought.

Anyway, wanted to post also to hold myself accountable for the next 4 months before a beach trip.  So here they are:

1)  throughout these last 10 months I have twice gone to Texas for a month to stay with the in-laws.  Both times I came back with about 7-10lbs back on from what I had when I left.   My goal is to not let that happen this time, as I leave again on Thursday.  

2) be in the best shape of my life before the beach trip.  I’d love a 6 pack, but not sure that will ever happen, though I am going to try

3) reduce body fat while increasing weight.  This will all come down to if I can stay on a lifting plan and excel.  I never enjoyed lifting until recently, so need to keep it up.  My stretch goal for end of 2021 would be to be 185-190lbs at 12.5% body fat.  

Let’s do this!
I need this post. Haven't posted in a long time. I lost 20 pounds and in the last month or so put 10 back on. Started hitting the doldrums again.  For me it's 100% food / will power.   

My son's wedding is in May. I need to lose 25 - 40 depending on what goal :)

thanks

You might just be getting faster.  
In the constellation of outcomes, that seems the least likely.  :lmao:

There are issues with my plantar fascia, substantially complicated by diabetic neuropathy. In the past, whenever I reach such a pace, within a few weeks something goes twaaaaang and I'm in a walking boot for a while.

I get little twinges every day. Warning shots that make me slow down for 30 seconds or so, until the tingle goes away. And although there has been considerable improvement in other areas, I don't think I'm making any progress on the fascia.

i have rode my indoor bike a tone of miles this week since i got it set up and its pretty darn cool now i can ride anywhere with the video screen so i have been in the mountain west because that is where i like it the best i am down just shy of 2 pounds so far this week so about 8 to go to get back to where i want to get the problem i am realizing now is that i get up about 5 hope on the bike and now i am beat tired and i am off of coffee post heart attack so i just pound water and have to force myself to keep focused on work so that is what i am doing anyhow keep on being good and inspiring me to stay at it take that to the bank bromigos 

My gym membership is lapsing, and I don't care. The fact is, the weather around here isn't bad enough for long enough to impact an outdoor-based exercise program in the long run. Pace today was 19:30, just perfect.

17/30

17/31

621/930

grogu, mentioned drug use, in today's yoda.  

she was the most coherent, and least rambling, that she's been, in the first 17 days of this program.  that being said, we didn't do much. :hophead:

Working out in general, has been a bit of a bore recently.   :shrug:  carry on, I suppose. 
It's definitely been a drag for me as well lately.  I've still been working out most days but it's been a struggle to stay motivated.  I'm off from work for the rest of the year so hoping that the free time will re-energize me.  At a minimum, I'm at least keeping up with the pushups.  

19/30

19/31

791/930

Went on a long hike today, with the wife. Very fun.  

Annabelle, lost her ####, talking about grabbing two balls on day 18.  In child’s pose. Giggling like an 8 year old. 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Alright, alright, alright. 

I've got two beers left on the eve of winter, along with a fridge, freezer, and (tiny) pantry packed to the gills with good intentions. 

I'm gonna shrink down to 180 by spring (let's say I'm 210 today), and and 175 come summer - where I pack on 10 pounds of muscle along the way.

HELLO CLEVELAND!!

I have no beers left to give.  I was supposed to follow up this moment with a decadent meal, but instead i'm serving up beans and sausage poured over rice and eggs (huevos rancheros, loosely speaking).

I love me.

Here for my semi-monthly check in.  Just staying the course with Adriene and the 700-mile challenge I joined, while getting in a lot of extra workouts by moving all my #### myself.  The move of the big furniture by professionals is Tuesday, but pretty much the rest is over at the new place now.  I still have some speakers here so that I can listen to my Spotify playlists on a good system, and of course all the cat beds and cat toys.  :lol:   I'll move the rest of that tomorrow.  

I'm on the December Adriene calendar and note that Tuesday, the day of my move, is a seven-minute workout.  It's like she knew!!!  I'm going to triple up tomorrow (tomorrow is two workouts on her calendar) so that I'll be ahead of the game and then hopefully be back in the swing Wednesday.  I've not only moved all my stuff, but I've organized and put it all away, so not much to do once Tuesday is over.  Freaking Virgos.  I do need to clean my current place so that I can get it on the market in a couple of weeks, but I've done a lot of that already, too.

I hadn't mentioned that my 700-mile, six-month challenge is "Bend to Whistler," so I virtually started in Bend, Oregon on my way to Whistler, BC.  I'm 0.3 miles from Salem, Oregon as of yesterday.  :)  

Here for my semi-monthly check in.  Just staying the course with Adriene and the 700-mile challenge I joined, while getting in a lot of extra workouts by moving all my #### myself.  The move of the big furniture by professionals is Tuesday, but pretty much the rest is over at the new place now.  I still have some speakers here so that I can listen to my Spotify playlists on a good system, and of course all the cat beds and cat toys.  :lol:   I'll move the rest of that tomorrow.  

I'm on the December Adriene calendar and note that Tuesday, the day of my move, is a seven-minute workout.  It's like she knew!!!  I'm going to triple up tomorrow (tomorrow is two workouts on her calendar) so that I'll be ahead of the game and then hopefully be back in the swing Wednesday.  I've not only moved all my stuff, but I've organized and put it all away, so not much to do once Tuesday is over.  Freaking Virgos.  I do need to clean my current place so that I can get it on the market in a couple of weeks, but I've done a lot of that already, too.

I hadn't mentioned that my 700-mile, six-month challenge is "Bend to Whistler," so I virtually started in Bend, Oregon on my way to Whistler, BC.  I'm 0.3 miles from Salem, Oregon as of yesterday.  :)  
Do you change the scenery virtually each day so that you feel like you are actually seeing Salem OR on the horizon now?

fred_1_15301 said:
@DA RAIDERS   Is this 100 pushup/day a December thing or are we sticking with this long term?  100 pushups a day is not a lot but I'm definitely seeing results.  I plan to stick with it.
:lmao:   I. Officially. Hate. Doing. Push. Ups. :lmao:

They are so f’ing tedious.

I am definitely seeing results, as well.  I’ve done 1000’s of them over the last 6 months.  They’ve been oddly difficult, over the last 7-10 days. I’m blaming it on crossing a NOEXPLODE threshold.  Gettin’ YOKED y’all !   :pickle:   There are yoda moves, that are totally unpossible, due to my being so JACKED .  Or, perhaps being utterly inflexible. Juries out. :oldunsure:

Anyway....I might be up for continuing them. I’ll probably hate it, but that’s ok.  

However, I’m going skiing for the first 3 weeks of the year.  Beers are imbibed at the end of the ski day, making pushups unlikely.  As they will not be done at 6 am. :banned:

Just got a trampoline from Bellicon in Cologne, Germany sent for Christmas. 

Wife has wanted one since Moby **** was a minnow so I finally caved and bought this thing. It's got incredible legs that fold up under it, quality product I have to say. And of course she wanted the rainbow bungee ties that go around the the whole thing. 

I have no idea how you workout on it but bouncing around for a couple minutes, I could hardly walk straight when I got down from it. It's terrific in the morning to get your blood flowing, we have it set up in the living room right now 😂.

I need to catch up n the thread and I need to dedicate myself on Jan 1st to incorporate more than just physical exercise in my health quest. I wanted to get into meditation and yoga, I failed but the good news is I have something to shoot for now in 2021.  

krista4 said:

You are incredible and always on point. I can go a few days in a row of being good and then I spin out and drink too much or whatever...I guess I need to just keep going and not let small things derail the entire process. 700 Miles/180 is...4 Miles a Day? 

I'm about ready to start another 100-Day run and I don't mean actually running every day but in Apr-May when I was getting started, I was trying to go 100 days in a row, think I made it to 50-60 tops and then had to take a day off. 

Down the last 2 days, sprained my thumb/left hand and can't grip a tennis racket properly. 

I like when you update

Cheers!

Welp.  Hi everyone.  

During my extended timeout I basically did nothing healthy.  I haven’t worked out in what must be a couple months now.  I sleep in until 6:30 or 7 most days, which is a far cry from my prior 4:45 am wake ups to go to the gym.  It’s too cold out to really get amped up about going for walks, and in any event I’m seated at my desk in my attic usually from 8:30am - 7pm jumping from stupid fire to stupid fire to Teams call to Teams call, and like a goalie in front of the net batting away rapid fire e-mails all day.  And of course, bad habit begets bad habit, as we know, and so I’ve basically been eating and drinking whatever the hell I want.  There have been multiple nights that involve pizza, ice cream, and plenty of wine.  Rinse, repeat.  So yeah, I’m probably in a worse spot in terms of habits than I’ve been in a long time.  

But let’s not dwell.  What’s the positive in all this?  Well, to start, my weight isn’t actually any different than usual.  You hear about people putting on 10, 20, 30 or more lbs during COVID.  And I weighed in yesterday at 235, which is basically where I always start from every single year.  So, I suppose there’s something positive to take away in thinking it could be a lot worse.  I will say, I feel worse for sure.  My back aches, I groan when I get up or put on my socks, I’m tired all the time.  But at least from a pure weight perspective, I don’t have any bigger a hole to dig out of than usual. 

Also, the holidays are here.  I’m not going to do anything in the next 10 days.  Just going to sit back and do what I’m doing and try and make the most of a weird, weird holidays with the family.  

And then January 1 is a clean slate.  Mrs. O has likewise been way off the wagon, and we’re both itching to get healthy again.  So — wow who would have predicted this — Otis will be starting a new healthy lifestyle on January 1.

Something else occurred to me as I’ve been thinking about all this.  In the past, my main excuse was that I didn’t have enough control over what I ate — I was always in airports, traveling for business, out at big business lunches and dinners etc.  Because I had to be.  Now, that is a lame excuse in any event, I recognize that — nobody is forcing me to order steak and drink wine, I could eat a salad and fish and drink water, of course — but it occurred to me that my one and only excuse is no longer applicable, and hasn’t been for a long time.  I have complete 1000% control over what I eat because I am in my home every day all day.  I don’t have client meetings and lunches and dinners.  I’m not traveling.  What does that mean?  Well, it means my excuses are lame, because despite not having all those things, I’ve still made zero progress, and if anything have slid backwards.  

But 2020 is ending, so let’s focus on the positive — the good news is that the vaccine won’t be distributed heavily until Spring.  And so the world is at least going to remain as it is until beach season.  And so I have complete control now.  It’s entirely on me.  And so if ever there were a perfect, excuse free time to get this right, it’s now.  

So, starting January 1, I’m going to get healthy.  I’m going to start exercising again — likely rowing is my preference, although I enjoyed the yoga and how it made me feel, and would like to work that back in, along with push-ups.  I would also like to maybe work in some walks outside.  And I’m going to start eating healthy and moderating my alcohol intake.  Fred’s and others’ advice would be to just do something like MFP and count calories, which I’ll consider.  Otherwise I can consider some kind of fad diet — this is the place for that, after all — or just some kind of balanced diet.  

Anyway, that’s where we are.  It’s not pretty.  It’s so very 2020.  But it’s where we are.  2021 offers months away from humans and parties which is an opportunity to get right.  Maybe, just maybe, Beach season 2021, when I turn the ripe middle age of 45, will be when I’ve finally got it nailed.

Looking forward to updates from you all — hopefully others in here are crushing it.

Users who are viewing this thread