What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LPT: If you're planning on using UBER, have a backup plan (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
Long story short, yesterday UBER took it upon themselves to incorrectly diagnose fraud on my account and suspend it without checking with me first.  They blamed it on my cc but when I checked with the issuer, they told me that they saw the request from UBER and had approved it.  After a few emails back and forth with UBER support, they admitted that they'd suspended the account because they suspected fraud--I asked for a cab to return me to my house.  They also said they did it for my protection which is clearly bull#### because their move had the potential to leave me stranded with no alternatives.  IMO, their motivation was entirely to protect themselves against the possibility of a fraudulent $15 ride and they had no regard for me.  

In the end, not a big deal but it could have been if the same happened to my 14yo daughter who occasionally uses UBER.  So this morning, we all downloaded LYFT and will be trying it for the next little while.

UBER has gotten increasingly worse here in NY. The drivers I've had recently were horrible.

Agree. Uber is beginning to irritate me. They were recently allowed to start picking up from LAX again, except if the drivers decide that your destination isn't far enough after accepting they'll cancel on you. Last time it took 5 drivers canceling and over 40 minutes of waiting to finally get someone to pick me up. Im going to try Lyft next time I cant get a friend to pick me up. 

Getting annoyed with UBER too.  They recently lifted their no tipping thing which is fine by me but they refuse to put a tipping mechanism in their app.  The whole point of this whole thing is to not have to carry cash for stuff like this.  

Taxi services are starting to have apps.  There isn't one official  yellow cab app though, they are all individual franchises, that have their own apps.  I've never used the Tampa Yellow cab app, so im not even sure if it's anything like Uber.  The last time i booked a cab I did it by phone, and had to hold for 5-10 min just to schedule a pick-up.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting annoyed with UBER too.  They recently lifted their no tipping thing which is fine by me but they refuse to put a tipping mechanism in their app.  The whole point of this whole thing is to not have to carry cash for stuff like this.  
What changed?

Took Uber last week to Colonial golf tournament.  Was picked up by a black lady in a Hundai with no A/C. Oh, she had her 5 year old daughter in the car and she was talking on the phone the entire time.

Not a pleasant ride for 3 dudes.

UBER has gotten increasingly worse here in NY. The drivers I've had recently were horrible.
Big scam I've seen that I have to screen shot is a driver accepting the fare and then driving in the opposite direction, like WTF... You're then forced to cancel and are charged a fee. They'll usually credit you with $10 in their system, but don't actually refund it. This has happened to me 5x already.

And yes, the drivers are terrible - not just bad drivers, but they have no idea where they're going... In rush hour traffic, the GPS is usually garbage, then I'll catch an attitude for giving an alternate. Like, #### you Uber driver, I don't feel like sitting on Broadway at 545pm when it is only operating as one lane and the bus lane is in effect, sorry you don't know the lay of the land.

What changed?
There was a lawsuit or something and now they no longer abide by their no tipping stance or whatever and drivers are allowed to have a sign that says they accept tips.  Not saure if that's the exact wording but it's close.  Now its wishy washy and while I have no problem tipping, they really need to add it to the app.  

Big scam I've seen that I have to screen shot is a driver accepting the fare and then driving in the opposite direction, like WTF... You're then forced to cancel and are charged a fee. They'll usually credit you with $10 in their system, but don't actually refund it. This has happened to me 5x already.

This happens to me in LA frequently.  Uber has been crediting me over and over again for mistakes.  This business is really starting to go down hill.  also, i have two fares where the driver turned the meter on when they left their destination rather than when they picked me up.  It is like pulling teeth getting money back from UBER.   I basically told them if they did not refund the money i would be disputing with my CC company.  They areally are going downhill quickly.  

ETA:  The app has been defaulting to black and premium cars for some reason....make sure you check what you are ordering...

Took Uber last week to Colonial golf tournament.  Was picked up by a black lady in a Hundai with no A/C. Oh, she had her 5 year old daughter in the car and she was talking on the phone the entire time.

:lol:

I usually try to take the 'black' level of Uber; that is mostly because with my kids I have 5 people and that pushes me out of the 'regular' level. By doing this, I usually get a Yukon or some similar vehicle and in most cases the driver is a 'professional' Uber driver and then the car is in great shape. When I was in New Orleans last summer, we were offered water by the driver because it was so hot out. I declined, since we were heading back from Tipsey's and didn't want to mess with the wonderfulness from my lunch!!

And yes, the drivers are terrible - not just bad drivers, but they have no idea where they're going... In rush hour traffic, the GPS is usually garbage, then I'll catch an attitude for giving an alternate. Like, #### you Uber driver, I don't feel like sitting on Broadway at 545pm when it is only operating as one lane and the bus lane is in effect, sorry you don't know the lay of the land.
My last few rides, I've had one guy start dozing off a few blocks from my house, I had to snap him out of it. One guy almost went down a one way the wrong way, even using the app and another driver,coming from JFK on the Van Wyck, had his phone nearly fall off it's holder and he almost side-swiped another car as he was trying to fix it.

Uhh, yeah. I would have one starred and left a complaint. Driving Uber without a/c in Texas is unacceptable, as is driving with another person in the car.

Not sure why her race is relevant to this story though??

UberX service is too cheap now, at least in NYC area. It's driven many of the good drivers out and they've been replaced by the type of people who would be happy to make $12/hour. I live in a city not much bigger than one square mile and the drivers I encounter now don't know how to get to the only main transit station. 

I would happily pay 20-30% more for just the basic service to return to what it used to. 

Their rate hikes during events is a joke.  Really?  6X the normal rate?  Happened a few months back at BeerFest in Cincy.  Would've been $140ish one way for what is normally $20-25.  Luckily a buddy of mine is an Uber driver and picked me up with his other customers and let them foot the bill.

This happens to me in LA frequently.  Uber has been crediting me over and over again for mistakes.  This business is really starting to go down hill.  also, i have two fares where the driver turned the meter on when they left their destination rather than when they picked me up.  It is like pulling teeth getting money back from UBER.   I basically told them if they did not refund the money i would be disputing with my CC company.  They areally are going downhill quickly.  

ETA:  The app has been defaulting to black and premium cars for some reason....make sure you check what you are ordering...
:???:

I thought the fare was pretty much locked in before you order the ride.  Is that only an estimate?

Their rate hikes during events is a joke.  Really?  6X the normal rate?  Happened a few months back at BeerFest in Cincy.  Would've been $140ish one way for what is normally $20-25.  Luckily a buddy of mine is an Uber driver and picked me up with his other customers and let them foot the bill.
Supply and demand :shrug:

Agree. Uber is beginning to irritate me. They were recently allowed to start picking up from LAX again, except if the drivers decide that your destination isn't far enough after accepting they'll cancel on you. Last time it took 5 drivers canceling and over 40 minutes of waiting to finally get someone to pick me up. Im going to try Lyft next time I cant get a friend to pick me up. 
Never had this experience, interesting. Couldn't you have just waited until the car arrived to enter your destination address?

Never had this experience, interesting. Couldn't you have just waited until the car arrived to enter your destination address?
Nope. We've tried that. All of the drivers will call you once they accept and ask where you're going. If you don't answer, they cancel. If you put in the destination...they cancel.

Supposedly Uber is cracking down on this. On the uber people site the drivers are talking about Uber having employees ordering rides and then suspending them for canceling. Hopefully this helps.

Uhh, yeah. I would have one starred and left a complaint. Driving Uber without a/c in Texas is unacceptable, as is driving with another person in the car.

Not sure why her race is relevant to this story though??
Me either.  Just including all the facts.  I would have done the same thing is she were white, Mexican, or Asian.  :shrug:

Is there a reason I should exclude it?

If we are not allowed to include race any more on the internets, please forward me the memo. 

Me either.  Just including all the facts.  I would have done the same thing is she were white, Mexican, or Asian.  :shrug:

Is there a reason I should exclude it?

If we are not allowed to include race any more on the internets, please forward me the memo. 
You're the one who thought it was worth mentioning.  I was just curious why it was relevant. Seemed like a pretty odd thing to specify, regardless if she were white, Mexican, or Asian.  :shrug:

I had the opposite issue, where there was fraud but it took them forever to do anything about it.  Saw several Uber charges on my Amex despite not having used the service in months, and it took them four days even to respond to my initial inquiry, and that response was just to ask for a bunch of information that I had already provided to them.  Much back-and-forth ensued and they insisted it wasn't an issue on their end but that my card must have been compromised elsewhere, which was bull#### since I've had no other problems with the card.  Luckily Amex has pretty much the best customer service ever and had already credited back the charges and blocked Uber from making anymore charges on my card.

Needless to say, i don't think highly of Uber.

Drivers going the long way or taking forever hoping for a cancellation is becoming a problem here too. 

Drivers in busted/old cars is becoming a big problem here. Taking three rides this weekend:
• One was a jamaican guy in a 10+ year old hyundai acccent with zero straight body panels. Nice guy though. 5 stars.
• One was a sketchy middle eastern dude with prayer rug and clear decals with arabic sayings plastered all over the mini van. Empy beer cans scattered (it was 11am), and a horrible grinding sound continually coming from the rear axle. Very weird personality and took the long way to the destination. 3 stars. 
• One was a super pleasant young girl in a late model Hyundai sonata who was great. 5 stars. 

:???:

I thought the fare was pretty much locked in before you order the ride.  Is that only an estimate?

No, they start the app when they pick you up.  These yahoo's started the fare when they left thier current destination.  For example, i went to a BBQ last weekend.  It was 17 miles and roughly 30 min away.  When i got the bill in the AM it was $117.  Seems that the driver had started the fare 5 miles away drove around forever (he was obviously lost) and it took him 30 minutes to find me (i was up in the hills, not my problem thier GPS sucks).  15 emails and a threat to decline the entire charge (i sent uber a screen shot of the directions, time and mileage) i was finally charged for the ride i took.  They fixed it but i had to spend a ton of time getting the refund.  PIA.  

Haven't had many bad experiences but know people who have. Considering going strictly with Lyft for now on. 

Yeah, we had an Uber driver miss an exit (which can be unforgiving in Portland) and caused extra time/mileage to the ride.  It was my buddy's account.  He was charged for the driver's mistake.  I'm guessing he could have appealed that, but what a hassle.  Seems to me if the driver's screw up, they should eat the mistake.  From my limited experiences, Lyft >>> Uber.

Watch out for JUNO, though...supposed to be only the best UBER/LYFT drivers and debuting in NYC.  

How's cocoa girl doing?

No, they start the app when they pick you up.  These yahoo's started the fare when they left thier current destination.  For example, i went to a BBQ last weekend.  It was 17 miles and roughly 30 min away.  When i got the bill in the AM it was $117.  Seems that the driver had started the fare 5 miles away drove around forever (he was obviously lost) and it took him 30 minutes to find me (i was up in the hills, not my problem thier GPS sucks).  15 emails and a threat to decline the entire charge (i sent uber a screen shot of the directions, time and mileage) i was finally charged for the ride i took.  They fixed it but i had to spend a ton of time getting the refund.  PIA.  
Is this new?  Every time I or my GF have done Uber, it tells you the price before you even agree to the ride.  I've never seen a fare thing ticking away as the ride goes on, as in a cab.

i think you have to request the estimate.  I just assume the fare is what it is...117 for a 17 mile ride did peak my interest so i looked at the fare map.  That is what led me to the realization that i had been grossly overcharged.  

Haven't had many bad experiences but know people who have. Considering going strictly with Lyft for now on. 
Uber better be carefull.  I know that i use uber a ton for work because it is cashless and i have my business card set up to email my assistant directly so i don't have to track expenses.  Lift does the same thing and when i travel for business i am indifferent what the cost is.  Now that GM has bought a stake in Lift, they are very well funded.  This war is far from over. 

My wife and I had a trip to New York a few months ago with a toddler.  We were taking the train from the airport into town.  Rather than dealing with a car seat just for that cab ride, we figured we could leave it behind and just use Uber's car seat service.  So I downloaded my Uber app, made sure I knew how it worked, and we went off on our trip.

We got off the train, it's a few minutes after sunset, time to call the Uber.  Pull out my phone, click the Uber app......"Your account is locked".  That's it, no notice as to why, no phone number to call, nothing.  So here we are standing on the streets of NY several miles from our rental with a toddler and no car seat as it is starting to get dark and no idea why Uber's app just said "#### you we don't want your money".

Luckily we were able to create another account for my wife on her phone and use that, but it was a good lesson on never trusting Uber.

why does it matter that she was black?   :confused:

Give it 5 years, until they can rid themselves of the nuance of human drivers. 

I too had nothing but good experiences with Uber, until recently.  Found myself having to cancel a car three times in NYC from my hotel to JFK, before taking a cab.

Would say 3 minutes, then the car would head the other way and it would say 9, then 12. 

Overall blows doors of cabs, though and still a fan.  I had a driver in Vegas trying to give me a Lyft voucher.  I two starred him.  Very rare though I haven't given 5.  

Is this new?  Every time I or my GF have done Uber, it tells you the price before you even agree to the ride.  I've never seen a fare thing ticking away as the ride goes on, as in a cab.
If you're using the "pool" service, it's a flat rate that doesn't change. Otherwise, it's just an estimate based on mileage and (I believe) assumed traffic. If the actual amount of time ends up longer than estimated, you'll pay more. The receipt breaks all of this out. 

Drivers going the long way or taking forever hoping for a cancellation is becoming a problem here too. 

Drivers in busted/old cars is becoming a big problem here. Taking three rides this weekend:
• One was a jamaican guy in a 10+ year old hyundai acccent with zero straight body panels. Nice guy though. 5 stars.
• One was a sketchy middle eastern dude with prayer rug and clear decals with arabic sayings plastered all over the mini van. Empy beer cans scattered (it was 11am), and a horrible grinding sound continually coming from the rear axle. Very weird personality and took the long way to the destination. 3 stars. 
• One was a super pleasant young girl in a late model Hyundai sonata who was great. 5 stars. 

Why is it important the guy is jamaican?   

You could have just told us he was human.  That's really all that is important. 

/oversensitive crowd

If you're using the "pool" service, it's a flat rate that doesn't change. Otherwise, it's just an estimate based on mileage and (I believe) assumed traffic. If the actual amount of time ends up longer than estimated, you'll pay more. The receipt breaks all of this out. 
Ah-ha.  I guess that's all I've ever used then.  Never picked up anybody else, although we waited for a drunk chick once who got into another car.

Users who are viewing this thread