What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sequels that ruined a franchise... for you. (1 Viewer)

Cold Dead Hands

Footballguy
This doesn't need to be about sequels that killed franchises. This is just about movies that ended your love of a franchise. Maybe even to the point where you dislike the movies that came before, not just those that followed.

I submit to you, Highlander 2: The Quickening. I watched this garbage in theaters. I still have no idea what I saw. To date, it is the last time I have viewed any Highlander movie, including the first. Plot summary taken from Wikipedia:

In August 1994, news broadcasts announce that the ozone layer is fading, and will be completely gone in a matter of months. In Africa, millions have perished from the effects of unfiltered sunlight. Among the dead is Connor MacLeod's wife, Brenda Wyatt MacLeod. Before dying, Brenda extracts a promise from Connor that he will solve the problem of the ozone layer.

By 1999, Connor MacLeod becomes the supervisor of a scientific team headed by Dr. Allan Neyman, which attempts to create an electromagnetic shield to cover the planet, and protect it from the Sun’s radiation. The team succeeds, in effect giving Earth an artificial ozone layer. MacLeod and Neyman are proud to have saved humanity, and believe they will be remembered for a thousand years.

The shield has the side effect of condemning the planet to a state of constant night, a high average global temperature, and high humidity. By 2024, the years of darkness have caused humanity to lose hope and fall into a decline. The shield has fallen under the control of the Shield Corporation. The corporation’s current chief executive, David Blake, is focused on profit, and is imposing fees for the corporation’s services. A number of terrorist groups have begun trying to take down the Shield, among them Louise Marcus, a former employee of the Shield Corporation.

Meanwhile, MacLeod, now a frail old man, expects to eventually die of natural causes. As he watches a performance of Wagner’s Götterdämmerung, an image of Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez appears, and induces MacLeod to recall a forgotten event of his past. On the planet Zeist, a last meeting is held between the members of a rebellion against the rule of General Katana. The rebellion’s leader, Ramirez, chooses "a man of great destiny" from among them—MacLeod—to carry out a mission against Katana. At this moment, Katana and his troops attack, crushing the rebellion. Katana orders his men to capture Ramirez and MacLeod alive and kill the rest of the rebels. The two captives are put on trial by Zeist's priests, who sentence them to be exiled and reborn on Earth in pursuit of "The Prize." Winning the Prize gives the victor the choice to either grow old and die on Earth, or to return to Zeist. Katana is unsatisfied with their decision, but the sentence is executed, leading to the events of the original 1986 film.

Back in 2024, Louise Marcus discovers that the ozone layer has in fact restored itself naturally, which means that the shield is no longer needed. The Shield Corporation is aware of this development, but has chosen to hide it from the general public in order to maintain its main source of profit. Meanwhile, on Zeist, Katana decides that MacLeod cannot be allowed to return, and sends his immortal henchmen, Corda and Reno, to kill him.

Marcus manages to reach MacLeod first, and asks for his help in taking down the Shield. To her disappointment, she finds the passionate person she once admired has grown into a tired old man. MacLeod explains to her that he is dying and expresses his disapproval of terrorism. Before they can finish their conversation, Corda and Reno attack. MacLeod manages to decapitate them both, absorbs their energy during the Quickening, and regains his youthful appearance. In the process, MacLeod summons Ramirez back to life.

In Glencoe, Scotland - the location of his death in the first Highlander film - Ramirez is revived. He finds himself on a theatrical stage during a performance of William Shakespeare's Hamlet. Meanwhile, MacLeod has found a new lover in Marcus. He attempts unsuccessfully to explain to her the concepts of his immortality. Elsewhere, General Katana arrives in New York, the scene of The Gathering and begins wreaking havoc.

Both Ramirez and Katana soon adapt to their new environment. Ramirez’s earring is apparently valuable enough to pay both for a new suit he acquires from the finest and oldest tailor’s shop in Scotland, and for an airplane ticket to New York City. Katana finds New York much to his liking. After entertaining himself for a while, Katana encounters MacLeod at a church. Since immortals are forbidden from fighting on holy ground, they do not fight each other, but MacLeod expresses rage at being immortal once again.

Soon thereafter, MacLeod is contacted by Ramirez, who joins them in their plan to take down the Shield. Katana, expecting this, forges an uneasy alliance with David Blake, who mentions that shutting down the planetary shield would require so much energy that the planet would be destroyed. The conflict between the two sets of allies eventually leads to the deaths of Dr. Allan Neyman, Ramirez, Blake and General Katana himself. MacLeod succeeds in taking down the Shield by using the combined energies of his final Quickening from General Katana. Marcus sees the stars for the first time in her life. MacLeod then claims The Prize by returning to Zeist with Marcus.

This doesn't need to be about sequels that killed franchises. This is just about movies that ended your love of a franchise. Maybe even to the point where you dislike the movies that came before, not just those that followed.

I submit to you, Highlander 2: The Quickening. I watched this garbage in theaters. I still have no idea what I saw. To date, it is the last time I have viewed any Highlander movie, including the first. Plot summary taken from Wikipedia:
I opened this thread to post this.

Letting Martin Riggs live at the end of Lethal Weapon 2 ruined the franchise for me. He was suicidal for the entire first movie because he lost his wife, and at the end of the 2nd movie he had just killed the men who admitted killing her (and also killed his new girl friend). Knocking on Heaven's Door is playing.... it just seemed a really weird storyline to let him live like they did. But I realize they made a lot more money by letting the character live and make more movies. I just think his character would have wanted to die at that point, like how Gladiator ended. 

Death Wish 3. It made a mockery of the gritty original and the sequel. It made everything that came after it look silly. 

Are there really a lot of sequels that ruined a franchise??  This is a very specific kind of thing.

Why not just start a thread:  Guys, I frigging HATED Highlander 2, and I have to get this off my chest.  

Interesting difference though between a sequel ruining the franchise "thereafter" or being so bad it actually ruins the franchise retroactively.

Lots of bad sequels. Alien 3 mentioned by Porkchop is a good example (you can lump Predator 2 in there), but those didn't ruin the greatness of the originals for me. Ditto for Lethal Weapon 3 or Escape from LA or Major League II.

However, I totally agree that the Matrix sequels kind of retroactively killed the joy of the original to me.  :(

Interesting question as to who had the bigger fall from early greatness/potential to mind-numbing failure:

The Wachowskis (Matrix...then two Matrix sequels and Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending...not sure where to classify V for Vendetta on that list)

or

M Night Shyamalan (Sixth Sense and Unbreakable and Signs...followed by The Village and Lady in the Water and The Happening and The Last Airbender and After Earth)

Not trying to   :hijacked: . Just a thought...

Are there really a lot of sequels that ruined a franchise??  This is a very specific kind of thing.

Why not just start a thread:  Guys, I frigging HATED Highlander 2, and I have to get this off my chest.  
I get this sentiment, but replacing the premise of "immortals living discreetly among us, fighting over the centuries until there is just one left" with "never mind...they are aliens from Zeist" is a great example of ruining a franchise IMO.

Matrix Reloaded.  They took a nearly perfect sci-fi film and turn it into a generic action movie.

/thread
Matrix Reloaded grew on me for The Architect scene alone.  Here we are thinking that Neo is "The One", only to have the Architect burst his bubble, that Neo is just another in a series of "Ones" the machines allow to exist to prevent system catastrophe.  Great reveal.

Matrix Revolutions is painful to watch.  And way too long. 

When Star Wars returned and I heard about the sheer horror that was Jar Jar and all, I lost all interest (which had been a LOT) in anything Star Wars.  Never had so much as a curiosity of watching any of those three films.

The reboot, though, was awesome, nice to be back.  Still ZERO interest in watching the other three.

I was also a big fan of The Transformers when I was a kid. Micheal Bay's movies with his CGI lunacy were horrible. Megan Fox was the best thing that came out of those movies. 

I was also a big fan of The Transformers when I was a kid. Micheal Bay's movies with his CGI lunacy were horrible. Megan Fox was the best thing that came out of those movies. 
I can't believe they are still making these things.

I watched the first one, wanting to really love it... and it just... sucked... and i can't believe it spawned multiple additional films.   I watched the 2nd one just in case it was better...  it wasn't..   what a crock of crap.

Why?  They've grossed  like $1 billion.  Hollywood will keep churning out garbage because people will pay to see it.
:lmao:

The guy that lives and breathes making / saving money questions why a billion dollar franchise keeps going to the proverbial well for a couple more 100 million.

Ruined the franchise as a whole?  Yes a lot of sequels/prequels did that.

As far as seeing a sequel/prequel and having it ruin the original movie or movies for me?  I can't think of any. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruined the franchise as a whole?  Yes a lot of sequels/prequels did that.

As far as seeing a sequel/prequel and having it ruin the original movie or movies for me?  I can't think of any. 
Still love Star Wars 4-6, but Darth Vader is a lot less badass after the prequels.

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. I'm convinced that even amongst all the intense action, great characters, and stories going on in that franchise, that film is the reason there hasn't been another in the series in 20 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. I'm convinced that even amongst all the intense action, great characters, and stories going on in that franchise, that film is the reason there hasn't been another in the series in 20 years.
It's not like MK was an Oscar worthy masterpiece but Annihilation was worse than B Movie level bad. None of it makes any semblance of sense. In fact it destroys what little story and rules there were from the first movie. 

The Sting II

Wargames: The Dead Code

Speed 2: Cruise Control

Porky's II: The Next Day

Grease II

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Heaven...that might be 2 movies  :oldunsure:

Young Guns II

Wall Street 2: Gecko takes a nap

Trading Places 2

The Lost World...Jurrasic World also a steaming pile  :X  of crap. 

Teen Wolf Too

And for the love of Gawd people would you all please...Be Cool

WTF?  I'd never seen the story of the Highlander 2.
When I saw the thread title, I came in to post this movie. I love the original and my buddy probably loved it more than I did. The day Highlander 2 came out, we got together early, watched the first one on VHS, did a million bong rips, and headed to the theater. Nearly tumescent with anticipation, we settled in with our popcorn and..... 

.... Fast forward to two hours later. Two dudes exit a theater and walk to the car in silence, staring at their shoes as they trudge across the parking lot. Not a word is exchanged until they arrive at Casa de EG, where I get out of the car and mutter a half-hearted "later." I'm pretty sure I went inside and just went to bed. That's how disappointing that film was. 

When I saw the thread title, I came in to post this movie. I love the original and my buddy probably loved it more than I did. The day Highlander 2 came out, we got together early, watched the first one on VHS, did a million bong rips, and headed to the theater. Nearly tumescent with anticipation, we settled in with our popcorn and..... 

.... Fast forward to two hours later. Two dudes exit a theater and walk to the car in silence, staring at their shoes as they trudge across the parking lot. Not a word is exchanged until they arrive at Casa de EG, where I get out of the car and mutter a half-hearted "later." I'm pretty sure I went inside and just went to bed. That's how disappointing that film was. 
Story behind the awfulness

Users who are viewing this thread