What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black lives matter (2 Viewers)

Several years old, but the numbers have not changed much.   69% for blacks vs. 25% overall.  There are some external causes such as shooting and incarcerations which contribute.  

https://go.gale.com/ps/anonymous?id=GALE|A459170753&sid=googleScholar&v=2.1&it=r&linkaccess=abs&issn=08838534&p=AONE&sw=w

The phenomenon of absent fathers is a social issue that appears to be escalating, especially in Black households across the United States (Baskerville, 2004). According to Horn and Sylvester (2002), the United States leads the world in the number of fatherless homes. In 2011, for example, approximately 25% of children were being raised in homes headed primarily by mothers or grandmothers (Kissman, 2001; Snyder, McLaughlin, & Findeis, 2006). In 1970, there were approximately 3 million single-mother households; by 2008, that number had risen to approximately 10 million, or more than three times as many when compared with 4 decades ago (Kreider & Elliott, 2009). Until recently, the absence of fathers created a social crisis that affected a child's moral development as well as a major contributing factor leading to crime and delinquency, premature sexuality, poor educational achievement, and poverty (Baskerville, 2004; Carson, 2004; Wallerstein & Lewis, 2009). In addition, fatherless children have been linked to an increased tendency toward violence, substance abuse, truancy, unwed pregnancies, and psychological disorders in contrast to children whose fathers play an active role in their lives (Baskerville, 2004). DeBell (2008) further noted that 69% of Black students in kindergarten through the 12th grade grow up in fatherless homes.
You didnt answer these:  Also why do you believe there are fatherless homes?  What would you say is the root cause of this?  Where are these fathers going? 

Also i noticed this: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black-fatherhood-statistics_n_5491980

Recent data published by the Center for Disease Control reveal that African-American fathers spend more time in their children's day-to-day lives than dads from other racial groups, defying stereotypes about black fatherhood. The Pew Research Center has found similar evidence that black dads don't differ from white dads in any significant way, and that there isn't the expected disparity found in so many other reports.

And this: https://www.newsweek.com/absent-black-fathers-myth-racism-1509085

When it comes to black dads specifically, most, in fact, live with their children. A CDC study found that about 2.5 million black fathers were living with their children, and about 1.7 million were officially living apart from them.

----

Broken families are an inevitable consequence of the exact kinds of problems protesters are currently standing up against. Innocent black men who are killed by police obviously won't be there for their families. If you care about black children being fatherless, you should be supporting the protesters. George Floyd, after all, is being remembered as a good father and family man.

Black people are also more likely to be charged, tried, convicted, and sent to jail for all sorts of crimes than white people are—which, again, pulls fathers away from children. Mass incarceration is a huge part of the problem

And even in the prison complex, people are striving to be there for their children, even from behind bars. While writing All In, I spent time in a prison interviewing men who were enrolled in a fatherhood program.

I hear you on that man, and I don't disagree that there are some privileges of race. I just think that right now the conversation around this stuff is focused exclusively on race and privilege, when it should be race, class and privilege. A poor white person and a poor black person's kids are both going to be at an extreme disadvantage compared to the kids of LeBron, Donald Trump, Kanye West, Will Smith, Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi, so when we start telling the poor white person that somehow they need to atone and/or compensate for their racial privilege, its not very surprising that they're gonna tell us to stick it where the sun don't shine.

as a currently disillusioned liberal, it's amazing to me how myopic about the realities of life for working class Americans of all colors the modern left continues to be, and how they just keep blindly doubling down on their strategy of lumping everyone of the same race together in one bucket and labeling anyone who disagrees with their conclusions as racist or white supremacist. Its not a very smart way to go for changing hearts and minds imo, but I'm just one of the rubes.
I agree with this.  In theory.  However, the problematic part of this is that a disproportionate number of certain races are the ones in the lower classes with less privilege.  So if we cant address that, then we are ignoring the issue, which does in fact have to do with race.  That is why it is being brought up.

Trust me i wish we could be at the point where we only focus on class for example but we arent at that point yet. Unless there is equity, we cant address the problem properly as we wouldnt be impacting the true root issues as they stand today.

You didnt answer these:  Also why do you believe there are fatherless homes?  What would you say is the root cause of this?  Where are these fathers going? 

Also i noticed this: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black-fatherhood-statistics_n_5491980

And this: https://www.newsweek.com/absent-black-fathers-myth-racism-1509085
The CDC study seems to condract all other studies.  The CDC does some tricky logic comparing fathers in similar situations.  I am not even sure what qualified the Center for Disease Control to do studies on families.  But all the media eats up this one study up and declares thst it somehow dubunks all other studies.  

The CDC study seems to condract all other studies.  The CDC does some tricky logic comparing fathers in similar situations.  I am not even sure what qualified the Center for Disease Control to do studies on families.  But all the media eats up this one study up and declares thst it somehow dubunks all other studies.  
Yea.  I mean look, i think we can all agree having both parents in a home is always best.  But i do not think that is the root issue.  You do so we will agree to disagree on that point.  But i want to understand more about why you think this is a root issue.  Which is why i asked what you feel is the cause of this?  Forget the stats and all that.  What is causing fathers to leave or not be present?  Where do you feel they are going? What do you feel can be done to address this?  If this concerns you so much i would think you would be concerned with the causes as that is where we would need to look to fix the issue. 

Yea.  I mean look, i think we can all agree having both parents in a home is always best.  But i do not think that is the root issue.  You do so we will agree to disagree on that point.  But i want to understand more about why you think this is a root issue.  Which is why i asked what you feel is the cause of this?  Forget the stats and all that.  What is causing fathers to leave or not be present?  Where do you feel they are going? What do you feel can be done to address this?  If this concerns you so much i would think you would be concerned with the causes as that is where we would need to look to fix the issue. 
Just to go back to stats for second, when they go into prisions and do surveys they see being in a fatherless household is like 10 times more likily.  So there is a very strong correlation.  What compounds it though is the extreme peer pressure that exists in the inner city.  The lack of a father in the household is critical in keeping a kid from succuming to such strong external influences.  In the suburbs, on the otherhand, the peer pressure is not that intense and single mom has a chance.  

Just to go back to stats for second, when they go into prisions and do surveys they see being in a fatherless household is like 10 times more likily.  So there is a very strong correlation.  What compounds it though is the extreme peer pressure that exists in the inner city.  The lack of a father in the household is critical in keeping a kid from succuming to such strong external influences.  In the suburbs, on the otherhand, the peer pressure is not that intense and single mom has a chance.  
Ok.  Im with you here.  But my questions would be, why are a disproportionate number of black people living in the inner city? What is preventing them from leaving? Why are a disproportionate number going to prison?  Or being convicted in higher numbers, etc.  

To your point they have a better chance in the suburbs.  I know that and you do as well since you stated it.  So why is it that it has been so hard for this population to move to the suburbs then?  btw, i have stated in this thread that i believe better integration and diversity IS one of the most important ways to fix these issues so i do think this is part of the solution.  But i would ask you, why do you think this isnt happening and hasnt for decades/many generations?

Ok.  Im with you here.  But my questions would be, why are a disproportionate number of black people living in the inner city? What is preventing them from leaving? Why are a disproportionate number going to prison?  Or being convicted in higher numbers, etc.  

To your point they have a better chance in the suburbs.  I know that and you do as well since you stated it.  So why is it that it has been so hard for this population to move to the suburbs then?  btw, i have stated in this thread that i believe better integration and diversity IS one of the most important ways to fix these issues so i do think this is part of the solution.  But i would ask you, why do you think this isnt happening and hasnt for decades/many generations?
It is a combination of history and comfort.  There were historical segregationist polices which forced it.  But even with those removed people are more comfortable being around people like themselves.  There are still economical chains which contribute, but I just wish that more would break out.  

I agree with this.  In theory.  However, the problematic part of this is that a disproportionate number of certain races are the ones in the lower classes with less privilege.  So if we cant address that, then we are ignoring the issue, which does in fact have to do with race.  That is why it is being brought up.

Trust me i wish we could be at the point where we only focus on class for example but we arent at that point yet. Unless there is equity, we cant address the problem properly as we wouldnt be impacting the true root issues as they stand today.
I hear ya man, but what I hear now in the national conversation is just "race = privilege" without any consideration of class as a factor. I think that's a mistake, because skin color doesn't mean that you're part of a monolithic group with one identity and experience, and it doesn't necessarily automatically confer specific privileges on you at all times or even at the same levels. Lower and lower-middle class citizens have far more similar life experiences and experience many more of the same problems and hardships - regardless of color - than we're currently being led to believe or that is currently being discussed.

so again, when you (not you specifically, the royal you) lump in the working small farm family from Iowa and the white trash family from Georgia with the Philadelphia lawyer's family and the California real estate developer's family, and you tell them they're all guilty of reaping the benefits of white privilege and systemic racism and need to start finding ways to give those things up, you can't be surprised when some of those people A) get angry for being accused of that stuff when it's not doing anything visible to make their lives better and B) don't really give a damn about anyone else's struggle when they're having a hard time themselves.

and that's not even taking into account the fact that often the people on the lower end of the economic spectrum are the ones who typically experience and participate in the most racial mixing of their jobs, friends and families and tend to take it very personally when they're told that they're racists, considering the awful history of that word. I just think the current strategy employed with this stuff from the media and thought leaders tends to be unnecessarily pejorative and confrontational and does way more to make people defensive and turn them off about it than actually get anybody doing any real critical thinking.

We had some bs alternative national athem.  We had political slogans flashing on the scoreboard.  We had slogans painted on the end zones.  We had names of convicted felons across football helmets.  We had commercials and commentary preaching to us.  The booing was about their bs call for unity while slapping white America in the face a dozen times.   It is like the fans need to kneel down and beg forgiveness before the game to watch some guy getting paid $500 million to tell us how oppressed he is.  
Whats the problem?

I hear ya man, but what I hear now in the national conversation is just "race = privilege" without any consideration of class as a factor. I think that's a mistake, because skin color doesn't mean that you're part of a monolithic group with one identity and experience, and it doesn't necessarily automatically confer specific privileges on you at all times or even at the same levels. Lower and lower-middle class citizens have far more similar life experiences and experience many more of the same problems and hardships - regardless of color - than we're currently being led to believe or that is currently being discussed.

so again, when you (not you specifically, the royal you) lump in the working small farm family from Iowa and the white trash family from Georgia with the Philadelphia lawyer's family and the California real estate developer's family, and you tell them they're all guilty of reaping the benefits of white privilege and systemic racism and need to start finding ways to give those things up, you can't be surprised when some of those people A) get angry for being accused of that stuff when it's not doing anything visible to make their lives better and B) don't really give a damn about anyone else's struggle when they're having a hard time themselves.

and that's not even taking into account the fact that often the people on the lower end of the economic spectrum are the ones who typically experience and participate in the most racial mixing of their jobs, friends and families and tend to take it very personally when they're told that they're racists, considering the awful history of that word. I just think the current strategy employed with this stuff from the media and thought leaders tends to be unnecessarily pejorative and confrontational and does way more to make people defensive and turn them off about it than actually get anybody doing any real critical thinking.
We disagree on this.  Skin color does automatically grant/revoke privileges.  That is very true.  Alot of this has to do with bias because again, you dont know someones class or wealth by just looking at them.  You do know their race.  I don't understand however why this bothers people.  Just because you have certain privileges doesn't mean you are bad or guaranteed success in life.  It also doesnt mean you are racist.   It does mean however there are certain things that you do not have to deal with that others do.  But again thats not to say a white person cant struggle more than a black person, of course they can.  But even with the struggles there are still certain privileges they hold. 

When i have been pulled over and guns pulled on me, they didnt ask me whether i was wealthy.  Not having the likelihood of this happening often is a privilege.  Not worrying if your neighbors will try to push you out of the neighborhood or cherrybomb your home or threaten you because you moved to the suburbs is a privilege.  Not worrying if i my offer will be accepted on a house(or if i will be approved for a good mortgage rate) because of my race, my resume looked at(due to say my name) is a privileged.  Again it doesnt mean this cant happen to you, it simply means that its not as likely and you generally will be given the benefit of the doubt. 

Yes, people definitely have far more in common within the same class but the one thing that stands out regardless of that is race(a social construct this country was built around) and its evident that its a factor in leading to move diversity across the socio-econimic classes.  Trust me, i wish we were at a place where we could focus on class issues and not race, but we simply haven't addressed the issues and it will keep coming up until they are addressed.  Its as simple as that.  The wealth gap is widening and has been since slavery ended. The more people refuse to acknowledge these issues the longer it will take to fix these problems.  I would think we would all want to be done talking about this.  So why dont people focus on fixing the issues then?

It is a combination of history and comfort.  There were historical segregationist polices which forced it.  But even with those removed people are more comfortable being around people like themselves.  There are still economical chains which contribute, but I just wish that more would break out.  
So you are admitting there are policies and "economical chains" which make it more difficult to move from the inner city or ghettos.  Those are the reasons not everyone can just "break out."  When you literally have entire systems making it extremely hard to do this, whether that is someone showing you a house, getting a mortgage, a neighborhood making it known they dont want you there, its not as simple as just "breaking out." 

Im sure you have seen these:  https://projects.newsday.com/long-island/real-estate-discrimination-history/

https://projects.newsday.com/long-island/real-estate-agents-investigation/

This should answer your question of why more dont break out.  Trust me when i tell you they want to.  Noone wants to live in a horrible neighborhood. But many have been forced into them due to redlining and housing discrimination and are still impacted today by it.

Elaborate please. 
I thought I did.  Fatherless homes which account for about how 80 percent of black children grow up is a huge factor.  Fatherless children are far more likely to be in gangs and engage in criminal activity as well as suicides and dropping out of school.   This is stuff that is internal to the black community.  It is not whites who are running the gangs.  It is not whites who are not being the fathers.  It is a terrible cycle that requires different solutions than blaming it on white privilege.  As wrong and as evil as racism is, it is not the biggest roadblock to success in this country today.
Why do the gangs exist?

Why do the fathers leave the family?

We disagree on this.  Skin color does automatically grant/revoke privileges.  That is very true.  Alot of this has to do with bias because again, you dont know someones class or wealth by just looking at them.  You do know their race.  I don't understand however why this bothers people.  Just because you have certain privileges doesn't mean you are bad or guaranteed success in life.  It also doesnt mean you are racist.   It does mean however there are certain things that you do not have to deal with that others do.  But again thats not to say a white person cant struggle more than a black person, of course they can.  But even with the struggles there are still certain privileges they hold. 

When i have been pulled over and guns pulled on me, they didnt ask me whether i was wealthy.  Not having the likelihood of this happening often is a privilege.  Not worrying if your neighbors will try to push you out of the neighborhood or cherrybomb your home or threaten you because you moved to the suburbs is a privilege.  Not worrying if i my offer will be accepted on a house(or if i will be approved for a good mortgage rate) because of my race, my resume looked at(due to say my name) is a privileged.  Again it doesnt mean this cant happen to you, it simply means that its not as likely and you generally will be given the benefit of the doubt. 

Yes, people definitely have far more in common within the same class but the one thing that stands out regardless of that is race(a social construct this country was built around) and its evident that its a factor in leading to move diversity across the socio-econimic classes.  Trust me, i wish we were at a place where we could focus on class issues and not race, but we simply haven't addressed the issues and it will keep coming up until they are addressed.  Its as simple as that.  The wealth gap is widening and has been since slavery ended. The more people refuse to acknowledge these issues the longer it will take to fix these problems.  I would think we would all want to be done talking about this.  So why dont people focus on fixing the issues then?
a lot to unpack here, and I'm about to go for a run so can't do a long response right now. But Pinky my man, I think we're talking past each other on this a little bit - I never said we should ignore race and focus on just class. I do believe class is actually a bigger and more impactful divider and barometer of privilege than race in this country, but what I'm saying is not "take race out of it and talk solely about class" - I'm saying why can't we talk about both? I think it's disingenuous to have a discussion of racial privileges without considering class and how that also plays into it. (Edit: but I agree with your premise of certain racial privileges being created through inherent bias to an extent.)

and if everyone set up the discussion of privilege the way you have here, I doubt there'd be nearly as much pushback. No one can deny that there are inherent biases people have that change perceptions based on skin color and allow some people to get the benefit of the doubt on things over others. The reason people get so mad about it is because nowadays people use that as a way to dismiss a person's opinion or to demean them: "that's just your privilege talking", "check your privilege", "there's too many of you privileged people in this conversation", etc, etc., as well as that being used as code for calling someone racist, naive or stupid. (Although I admit this does seem to be mainly an online interaction and media driven thing, I haven't ever encountered anyone who does it in real life conversation with me.)

I also agree with you the wealth gap is widening, but dude - it's widening for all of us that aren't in the top 1% or whatever that owns the majority of everything! It's not just widening for black people, there are a hell of a lot of us humans in the same boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
a lot to unpack here, and I'm about to go for a run so can't do a long response right now. But Pinky my man, I think we're talking past each other on this a little bit - I never said we should ignore race and focus on just class. I do believe class is actually a bigger and more impactful divider and barometer of privilege than race in this country, but what I'm saying is not "take race out of it and talk solely about class" - I'm saying why can't we talk about both? I think it's disingenuous to have a discussion of racial privileges without considering class and how that also plays into it. (Edit: but I agree with your premise of certain racial privileges being created through inherent bias to an extent.)

and if everyone set up the discussion of privilege the way you have here, I doubt there'd be nearly as much pushback. No one can deny that there are inherent biases people have that change perceptions based on skin color and allow some people to get the benefit of the doubt on things over others. The reason people get so mad about it is because nowadays people use that as a way to dismiss a person's opinion or to demean them: "that's just your privilege talking", "check your privilege", "there's too many of you privileged people in this conversation", etc, etc., as well as that being used as code for calling someone racist, naive or stupid. (Although I admit this does seem to be mainly an online interaction and media driven thing, I haven't ever encountered anyone who does it in real life conversation with me.)

I also agree with you the wealth gap is widening, but dude - it's widening for all of us that aren't in the top 1% or whatever that owns the majority of everything! It's not just widening for black people, there are a hell of a lot of us humans in the same boat.
Good convo and i think we are in agreement on most of this.  I do however think in most cases, at least in my experience people are involving class in the discussion even if not the bulk of it.  I just dont think its the root of the problem.  You could argue that there will always be a class issue.  And i do have an issue with wealth inequality in general.  That is a problem.  However who is that problem largely impacting?  The main issue i see is:

https://www.thebalance.com/racial-wealth-gap-in-united-states-4169678

Between 1983 and 2013, white households saw their wealth increased by 14%. But during the same period, black household wealth declined 75%. Median Hispanic household wealth declined 50%.

One reason for the discrepancy is the number of extremely poor black families. The Economic Policy Institute reported that 25% of black households have zero or negative net worth. Only 10% of white families are that poor. Since so many black families own nothing or are in debt, it drags down average wealth for the entire group. Put another way, black families have $5.04 in net worth for every $100 held by white families.
This right here is a HUGE problem that sits at the root of many issues we are seeing today.  It has been there since slavery ended and has never been addressed.  Ignoring it hasnt worked nor will it.  Im not saying you are ignoring it, but many people would prefer we just get over it and ignore it. 

Another way to look at this that maybe might help some comprehend the scope of the inequality is to just pick any other physical characteristic.

So, for example, let's substitute black people with hairy people.  For some reason, when you compare hairy people with non-hairy people, those hairy people tend to have higher drug use, higher poverty levels, less education, and higher incarceration rates. 

Now, some hairy people get to succeed, move to the suburbs, and even a few become famous, earning substantial wealth. But hairy people have a harder road to success, many hairy families only have a single parent, and everyone says if those hairy families had better family units, their kids would do better and have a better chance to succeed like non-hairy people.

And so the question is why do hairy people have less wealth and opportunities to improve their station in life?  The answer is simply because they are hairy. For years, no one wanted hairy people around the smooth skin folks and so all the hairy people had to live in certain areas together. 

And it all seems so silly that hairy people would have so much less than non-hairy people. But nevertheless, for every $100 that a non-hairy family has, a hairy family has $5. It's just the way it is.

I will walk you through it. Take the number of black people that die every year. Now subtract all of the black people killed by police. 

Now look at the really big number you have left.

Thanks. Bye.  
You are missing the point.  Context matters.  @JAA stated that if cops are held accountable it will stop what we are seeing(protesting for example).  Which is true.  And yes police shooting unarmed citizens is more important to address than non police. 

An officer killing someone is different than another person in the neighborhood they live in killing them which is different than say the president walking up to them and killing them.  All very different things.  All bad nonetheless, but two of the 3 are much more egregious and problematic while one is simply the way crime works(another issue entirely).  People are most likely to be killed in poor neighborhoods.  And as we know black people are most likely to be in poor neighborhoods with little chance for upward mobility.   If they could move to safe neighborhoods the numbers would drop.  To do that they need better education, access to jobs, access to more healthy food options, less profiling by police, fair treatment in the law enforcement and justice systems and yes not being shot by the people who are supposed to protect them at disproportionate rates.  Fix those issues the number of black people that die in total will come in line to be proportional to other races regardless of who is killing them.  Hence the reason for the laser focus on police reform, bias and systemic racism.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
You are missing the point.  Context matters.  @JAA stated that if cops are held accountable it will stop what we are seeing(protesting for example).  Which is true.  And yes police shooting unarmed citizens is more important to address than non police. 

An officer killing someone is different than another person in the neighborhood they live in killing them which is different than say the president walking up to them and killing them.  All very different things.  All bad nonetheless, but two of the 3 are much more egregious and problematic while one is simply the way crime works(another issue entirely).  People are most likely to be killed in poor neighborhoods.  And as we know black people are most likely to be in poor neighborhoods with little chance for upward mobility.   If they could move to safe neighborhoods the numbers would drop.  To do that they need better education, access to jobs, access to more healthy food options, less profiling by police, fair treatment in the law enforcement and justice systems and yes not being shot by the people who are supposed to protect them at disproportionate rates.  Fix those issues the number of black people that die in total will come in line to be proportional to other races regardless of who is killing them.  Hence the reason for the laser focus on police reform, bias and systemic racism.
"Simply the way crime works"

That is definitely a new way to explain it away. 

"Simply the way crime works"

That is definitely a new way to explain it away. 
It really isn't.  As a society, we generally understand that criminals exist, that crime exists, and that sometimes crimes will affect us.  We create laws and empower law enforcement in an attempt to deter, punish, and prevent crimes, but we all understand that it will still happen.  It is a significantly different event when those who are empowered and trusted to enforce the laws use that power to both break the laws themselves and escape the consequences of breaking the laws.  That applies whether we're talking about police, prosecutors, or politicians.

In the former situation (random criminals commit crimes), we've already taken the appropriate actions, which is to empower law enforcement.  We can debate over the finer details, such as sentencing guidelines, specific rules such as the appropriate speed limit on a rural road, etc., but we generally agree that the appropriate course of action to prevent crime is to empower law enforcement, and in a general sense, we have done so.  That crime continues to exist does not mean we've acted inappropriately.

In the latter situation (law enforcement commits crimes), it appears there is no agreement at all on how to prevent or punish such acts.  The protests are meant to bring attention to the fact that these events continue to occur while our system continues to both ignore and enable such events.

It really isn't.  As a society, we generally understand that criminals exist, that crime exists, and that sometimes crimes will affect us.  We create laws and empower law enforcement in an attempt to deter, punish, and prevent crimes, but we all understand that it will still happen.  It is a significantly different event when those who are empowered and trusted to enforce the laws use that power to both break the laws themselves and escape the consequences of breaking the laws.  That applies whether we're talking about police, prosecutors, or politicians.

In the former situation (random criminals commit crimes), we've already taken the appropriate actions, which is to empower law enforcement.  We can debate over the finer details, such as sentencing guidelines, specific rules such as the appropriate speed limit on a rural road, etc., but we generally agree that the appropriate course of action to prevent crime is to empower law enforcement, and in a general sense, we have done so.  That crime continues to exist does not mean we've acted inappropriately.

In the latter situation (law enforcement commits crimes), it appears there is no agreement at all on how to prevent or punish such acts.  The protests are meant to bring attention to the fact that these events continue to occur while our system continues to both ignore and enable such events.
Exactly.

And that this needs to be explained is frustrating.

Rich Conway said:

You act as if crime is just the same everywhere. And you act as if dealing with crime from a law enforcement perspective happens in a vacuum where they should function as if crime is the same across the board. 

It isnt. 

You also act as if there are actually a lot of police killings that are clear cut examples of the police breaking the law. There arent.

We probably disagree on those points, which means we will disagree on everything related to them. 

You act as if crime is just the same everywhere. And you act as if dealing with crime from a law enforcement perspective happens in a vacuum where they should function as if crime is the same across the board. 

It isnt. 

You also act as if there are actually a lot of police killings that are clear cut examples of the police breaking the law. There arent.

We probably disagree on those points, which means we will disagree on everything related to them.
I don't think crime is the same everywhere.  I do think there are a ton of examples of "those we entrust" breaking laws and/or abusing their power to avoid the consequences of breaking laws (and/or abusing their power to allow their friends to avoid the consequences of breaking laws).  I'm including police, prosecutors, politicians, etc. here, and I'm not particularly focused on "police killings" specifically.

• Smile
parasaurolophus said:
JAA said:
Please explain how you can say this with certainty
I will walk you through it. Take the number of black people that die every year. Now subtract all of the black people killed by police. 

Now look at the really big number you have left.

Thanks. Bye.  
Your response is funny considering you wont be able to come up with either of the numbers you are perform math on

It isnt. 

I don't think crime is the same everywhere.  I do think there are a ton of examples of "those we entrust" breaking laws and/or abusing their power to avoid the consequences of breaking laws (and/or abusing their power to allow their friends to avoid the consequences of breaking laws).  I'm including police, prosecutors, politicians, etc. here, and I'm not particularly focused on "police killings" specifically.
This

Abuse of power and trust should be the worst crime in humanity

This

Abuse of power and trust should be the worst crime in humanity
I agree that corrupt politicians and cops need to be addressed more strongly, and that our justice system needs reform, but it's hard for me to agree with this assertion, man. Crimes like rape or murder are way worse than any abuse of power or trust (unless that abuse also results in rape or death).

• Sad
PinkydaPimp said:
Good convo and i think we are in agreement on most of this.  I do however think in most cases, at least in my experience people are involving class in the discussion even if not the bulk of it.  I just dont think its the root of the problem.  You could argue that there will always be a class issue.  And i do have an issue with wealth inequality in general.  That is a problem.  However who is that problem largely impacting?  The main issue i see is:

https://www.thebalance.com/racial-wealth-gap-in-united-states-4169678

This right here is a HUGE problem that sits at the root of many issues we are seeing today.  It has been there since slavery ended and has never been addressed.  Ignoring it hasnt worked nor will it.  Im not saying you are ignoring it, but many people would prefer we just get over it and ignore it. 
no man, that's one I definitely don't want to ignore. I personally would 100% support a plan for reparations to any black American who can prove slave ancestry, if someone would develop and propose one that's clearly and coherently laid out and makes some kind of actual fiscal sense. And I think at this point in history more white Americans would vote for that type of plan than would vote against.

it's long past time we took action to right that old wrong - I'd really like to see us do something to give back to those affected so that we can finally put the ghost of slavery away and start to move forward from it and heal as a nation. Eliminating that division and residual anger and laying the issue to bed permanently would be worth the cost in my opinion.

no man, that's one I definitely don't want to ignore. I personally would 100% support a plan for reparations to any black American who can prove slave ancestry, if someone would develop and propose one that's clearly and coherently laid out and makes some kind of actual fiscal sense. And I think at this point in history more white Americans would vote for that type of plan than would vote against.

it's long past time we took action to right that old wrong - I'd really like to see us do something to give back to those affected so that we can finally put the ghost of slavery away and start to move forward from it and heal as a nation. Eliminating that division and residual anger and laying the issue to bed permanently would be worth the cost in my opinion.
But we have righted that wrong - thru the Civil Rights Act, for one, and abolishing Democrat Jim Crowe laws as another.  There are also numerous examples where we give minorities (especially black people) preference in public jobs and education with grants and all kind of other support.

There is ZERO need for reparations since we've already done it.  Let's call a spade a spade: The reparations being called for now are simply about getting a payout (for the receivers of said reparations) and, most importantly, for votes (for the givers - Democrats).  There is no noble cause behind it.

But we have righted that wrong - thru the Civil Rights Act, for one, and abolishing Democrat Jim Crowe laws as another.  There are numerous examples where we give minorities (especially black people) preference in public jobs and education with grants and all kind of other support.

There is ZERO need for reparations since we've already done it.  Let's call a spade a spade: The reparations being called for now are simply about getting a payout and, most importantly, for votes.
well, I would agree there has been a lot of racial progress in this country, and I think that people who act like this is the most racist place in the world are very, very naive. The people of this country have continually tried to improve in that area over the years since the Civil War and things are generally a lot better now than at anytime in our history. And compared to the vast majority of the rest of the world we're certainly leaders on that - I don't know of any other country with a large racially mixed population like the USA where there is less racism and discrimination, and there's quite a bit more racism in almost every place you care to visit.

but I disagree that we've solved the issues created by slavery and the history of issues that followed until the 60s just by ending Jim Crow and passing the CRA. We're still looking at 100 years of racial discrimination between 1865 and 1965 where black folks were held down and didn't get many of the same opportunities that white folks did, and although it's much better today, there were still a lot of problems even in the 70s and 80s.

I know for a lot of conservatives, reparations are a bad idea, but I think that we're never going to eliminate the specter of slavery and the problems it creates for race relations in modern society unless we do something specific to address it and make restitution for it. To me the only way to do that is to compensate families of former slaves financially - let's find a way to do that responsibly and then we can heal the old wounds, put all that crap behind us as a nation, and stop allowing it to be a wedge between black and white.

I'm not a guy who feels personally guilty for slavery or for the state of race relations today, and I've argued with some of my black friends in the past about whether reparations are a good or bad idea. But over the years I've come to believe that the US can never get past that stain on our past and repair our national psyche until we do something specific to change the conversation and legacy, and so I think it's worth it to try to explore this and make it work somehow.

But we have righted that wrong - thru the Civil Rights Act, for one, and abolishing Democrat Jim Crowe laws as another.  There are also numerous examples where we give minorities (especially black people) preference in public jobs and education with grants and all kind of other support.

There is ZERO need for reparations since we've already done it.  Let's call a spade a spade: The reparations being called for now are simply about getting a payout (for the receivers of said reparations) and, most importantly, for votes (for the givers - Democrats).  There is no noble cause behind it.
We have been through this. Do you think the civil rights act just ended all impact of those laws and centuries of oppression?  Remember when slavery was abolished?  Did that immediately solve things?  It doesn't work like that.  Sure certain laws were abolished.  That doesnt mean that there arent lasting impacts to our systems that essentially result in the same oppression as those laws.  Hell schools by law were desegregated in 1965 yet the last school to be desegregated was 4 years ago!!  History and facts say you are wrong.  Or trolling.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brookings-now/2014/10/09/why-does-racial-inequality-persist-long-after-jim-crow/

Weaver offered three explanations “that are central to understanding how the Civil Rights Act and that moment delimited the egalitarian impulse of the act.” These were:

That racial inequality persists because policies of the civil rights era were inadequate to addressing the situation of blacks in the bottom third of the income distribution.

The “stunning expansion in prison … concentrated among the most uneducated, most impoverished, and most victimized group of Americans.”

A “hollowed definition of racism” that has had three effects: “vast racial disparities are seen as dispositional, not structural, and therefore legitimate”; we “focus primarily or solely on individual discrimination by bad actors rather than on cumulative disadvantage that has marked the lives of the segregated poor”; and “this colorblind approach robs our nation of a useful vocabulary for explaining persisting racial inequality that looks eerily similar to past systems.”

Also regarding reparations, i will add that most calls for reparations aren't for cash payouts nor do i feel that should be the case.  There are many other ways to ensure an equal playing field and really handing out money wouldnt do a great job in solving these problems.  But flooding predominantly black neighborhood schools with money to get better teachers and resources for a better education(note that this would also help other races that may live in these neighborhoods as well) or programs to incentivize going to college for free(which is cheaper than incarcerating people) or help with purchasing a home(or lower mortgage rates) for example are great ways to do implement reparations.   I would also be open to only granting reparations to those that need it.  I don't need reparations for example so you could phase them out at certain income levels.  There are plenty of great ways to do this without handing out money to people.   

but I think that we're never going to eliminate the specter of slavery and the problems it creates for race relations in modern society unless we do something specific to address it and make restitution for it. To me the only way to do that is to compensate families of former slaves financially - let's find a way to do that responsibly and then we can heal the old wounds, put all that crap behind us as a nation, and stop allowing it to be a wedge between black and white.
No offense, I think you're a great poster but this is off the charts nonsense.

Not sure of this being posted or not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g.  This is a video of an activist a church reverend, going though a shoot no shoot scenario.  

Cops have hard jobs.  Some are bad what they do and you likely have some racism by a few.  However they are in potential danger every day.  Brutality needs to be stopped.  One suggestion is to have the brutality claims be done at the state level.  The local police and prosecutor depend on each other to enforce and try criminals.  Take the police brutality cases out of the local level.

Racism has been around for thousands of years.  But not everything is about race.  The banking loan study shows and example of this: Black are less likely to qualify for a loan than whites.  Is this racism?  The same study shows that whites are less likely to qualify for a loan than Asians.  Is this racism?  The true fact is Banks by law are supposed to use a standard of ability to pay ( Debt to income etc) to decide when people qualify for loans.

Police especially over the last 30 years or so have been using more and more statistics to decide where they put their resources.  This has led to more police in African American areas, due to more crime occurring in these areas.  This has been statistically proven to be the case.  Why does this happen?  I am not sure.  African American's are not any more prone to crime than any other race.

I live in MD.  This state is the richest per household in the US.  5 or so of the counties that are in the top 30 richest counties are in MD.  2 border Baltimore.  Baltimore has severe crime problems.  So what is the issue?  In my opinion it is local govt.  Grants for the Baltimore area have disappeared and multiple mayors have gone to jail.  There is only one party in Baltimore, its Democrats.  No Republicans for over 50 years.  The State has a Democrat Super Majority.  But crime gets worse and worse.  The problems in Baltimore are the local govt fault not Trump. (Who i think is huge jackass)  This won't change with Biden.  It didn't under Obama.(Riots happened in 2014 during Obama's term)  They only Republican in MD who has any power is Hogan the Gov.  His approval is over 70 percent even in the African American community.

Now in Mississippi and Arkansas there is always complaints about the quality of schools and in Little Rock rising crime.  These areas at the state level are Republican.

What do Mississippi, Arkansas, and Baltimore have in common?  They vote for the same party over and over.  Democrats run all the big cities in the US.  Most of the big cities have crime problems and bad schools.  What has the Democrat party done all this year in campaigns before George Floyd?  Go after the Latino vote.  Promising to give free healthcare to people that have come here illegally.  Why can't this be done for tax paying Americans?  They won't do it for tax payers in the inner cities but they will for people who potentially haven't even crossed the border yet...  I say this to the African American community:  Don't vote in the numbers  you have for the Democratic Party.  They take your votes for granted.  Do this especially in the local govts.  The Police and the schools are always run by local Govts.  If they fail you and don't educate your child then throw them out.

If you are in Miss and Ark you need to get rid of the Republicans.  If you can't educate  children properly in line with the rest of the US then you are out.  Don't vote Red cause the rest of the south does.  Vote blue if they will improve the schools.

In short the govt particularly at the local level affect our lives the most.  Threaten them with your vote.  If they don't perform vote them out.

I am a Republican.  I am no fan of Trump.  But the riots that have been going on are not his fault.  Neither was the riots in Ferguson or Baltimore Obama's fault.  Police and schools are run by the local govts and we need to hold them to same standards we seem to have for the President.

As for Congress put in Term limits.  Too many people are there for life almost literally. Put them on the same level as President and local govts.  Hold them accountable and don't let them sit there forever.  The power to change is in the hands of us all.

One other thing treat people the way that you want people to treat you.  Be nice, treat people with respect,  hold the door for someone etc...

End of speech...

No offense, I think you're a great poster but this is off the charts nonsense.
ha, no worries man, probably 99% of my posting is nonsense. I admit I might be way off in my thinking there and I know a lot of people will disagree with what I said.

it's just that for me, I feel like the history of slavery is always going to be a political tool to manipulate white guilt and black anger, regardless of what the actual impact on modern life might be. So if something specific was done to repair that history and heal that wound, the effectiveness of that tool would go way, way down and we could start to move past that stuff and stop being so divided in a lot of ways. So I've come to believe that outcome would be worth the cost of making it happen.

ha, no worries man, probably 99% of my posting is nonsense. I admit I might be way off in my thinking there and I know a lot of people will disagree with what I said.

it's just that for me, I feel like the history of slavery is always going to be a political tool to manipulate white guilt and black anger, regardless of what the actual impact on modern life might be. So if something specific was done to repair that history and heal that wound, the effectiveness of that tool would go way, way down and we could start to move past that stuff and stop being so divided in a lot of ways. So I've come to believe that outcome would be worth the cost of making it happen.
It will help black people, for sure in the short term and to a lesser extent in the long term (giving anybody money will help them).  There is no chance it meaningfully changes "white guilt" or "black anger".

It will help black people, for sure in the short term and to a lesser extent in the long term (giving anybody money will help them).  There is no chance it meaningfully changes "white guilt" or "black anger".
not completely, no - there will always be some degree of racial tension because the vast majority of humans tend to be inherently racist. But you don't think that addressing slavery directly with a specific program to try to repair that damage - something the US has never officially done - would at least remove a large portion of the anger and guilt around that part of our history?

I think it would go a long way, personally, and at the very least it would cut the legs off of the ability for slavery to be used as such an inflammatory political tool, since the vast majority of the reason it's able to be used that way is that we've never done anything specifically to try to address it.

not completely, no - there will always be some degree of racial tension because the vast majority of humans tend to be inherently racist. But you don't think that addressing slavery directly with a specific program to try to repair that damage - something the US has never officially done - would at least remove a large portion of the anger and guilt around that part of our history?

I think it would go a long way, personally, and at the very least it would cut the legs off of the ability for slavery to be used as such an inflammatory political tool, since the vast majority of the reason it's able to be used that way is that we've never done anything specifically to try to address it.
Nope, not a chance.  I have no faith in our citizens on the whole union unfortunately, black or white.

Just a random example.  Do you think that a $50,000 check in the hands of certain black people would have stopped protests, white guilt, black anger in the recent knife wielding black man attacking the cop and got shot incident?  How about 10yrs after the checks were cashed.  I think its lunacy to think it changes anything in terms of the mental state of people (particularly long term).

Nope, not a chance.  I have no faith in our citizens on the whole union unfortunately, black or white.

Just a random example.  Do you think that a $50,000 check in the hands of certain black people would have stopped protests, white guilt, black anger in the recent knife wielding black man attacking the cop and got shot incident?  How about 10yrs after the checks were cashed.  I think its lunacy to think it changes anything in terms of the mental state of people (particularly long term).
ha, I share your lack of faith in people. Three years during college working a retail job throughly exterminated any grand ideas I used to have about the inherent goodness of humanity.

like I said, I'm not talking about this being a panacea for general racial tension - I think that black guys getting killed by the police in this country would always create protests and pushback, given the history of police treatment of poor folks and people of color.

but I think a lot of the current tension is also inflamed in large part by groups that are also leveraging the historical issue of slavery and its effects to bolster their ideas about systemic racism and the persecution of black people in America. And I think if America actually finally did something specific to address slavery and its effects in the form of a reparations program (and Pinky listed some interesting ideas on how that would work beyond just giving people money) that a large part of that historical anger would no longer have quite the same impact.

and - call me a Pollyanna, I probably am - I also think that officially doing something like that would go a long way towards addressing the concerns in the minds of many black Americans that large portions of this country have been built through exploitation of their ancestors and would potentially create a chance to heal some old wounds in the psyche of those communities and change people's minds in a positive way.

anyway man, that's just where I am on it - if you disagree, I hear ya and I'm not arguing that I'm right, I just wanted to explain what I'm thinking a little further.

ha, I share your lack of faith in people. Three years during college working a retail job thoroughly exterminated any grand ideas I used to have about the inherent goodness of humanity.

like I said, I'm not talking about this being a panacea for general racial tension - I think that black guys getting killed by the police in this country would always create protests and pushback, given the history of police treatment of poor folks and people of color.

but I think a lot of the current tension is also inflamed in large part by groups that are also leveraging the historical issue of slavery and its effects to bolster their ideas about systemic racism and the persecution of black people in America. And I think if America actually finally did something specific to address slavery and its effects in the form of a reparations program (and Pinky listed some interesting ideas on how that would work beyond just giving people money) that a large part of that historical anger would no longer have quite the same impact.

and - call me a Pollyanna, I probably am - I also think that officially doing something like that would go a long way towards addressing the concerns in the minds of many black Americans that large portions of this country have been built through exploitation of their ancestors and would potentially create a chance to heal some old wounds in the psyche of those communities and change people's minds in a positive way.

anyway man, that's just where I am on it - if you disagree, I hear ya and I'm not arguing that I'm right, I just wanted to explain what I'm thinking a little further.
Your hearts in the right place.  And to be clear, my position here isnt that reparations wouldn't help black people or even that they are "right".  They would help and the the "rightness" of it is a different discussion.

What I feel strongly about is that they wont improve unity for a whole host of reasons.

It's not reparations but in 2008 a formal apology for slavery and Jim Crow was issued by the U.S. House of Representatives.  What did that get?  Again, 100% the right thing to do, not my point...my point is I dont see a path to history being forgotten or forgiven and any of this improving our national unity.

Your hearts in the right place.  And to be clear, my position here isnt that reparations wouldn't help black people or even that they are "right".  They would help and the the "rightness" of it is a different discussion.

What I feel strongly about is that they wont improve unity for a whole host of reasons.

It's not reparations but in 2008 a formal apology for slavery and Jim Crow was issued by the U.S. House of Representatives.  What did that get?  Again, 100% the right thing to do, not my point...my point is I dont see a path to history being forgotten or forgiven and any of this improving our national unity.
I hate to rain on your guy's parade, but I'm just not that hopeful.  It will NEVER be enough.  The race hustlers looking for payouts will always be screaming "RACISM" to get the next check and/or votes.  

I repeat, we could give them all the money the US has and once that runs out the race hustlers would be demanding more because, y'know, we haven't addressed the issue of racism (which we have repeatedly up until this point).  It would be a never-ending cycle, much like it is today.

I hear you guys and I agree to a point there's always gonna be people trying to use race as a lever for political gain. And you might be right that nothing would ever be enough to heal the divisions that've been created throughout American history.

but I think that if we never make a specific effort to address the slavery issue, then for sure it will always be a festering wound in our history. If we do actually make that effort, though - involving black leadership in planning, publicizing it to high heaven as a sincere attempt to repair our past, etc - then at the very least no one can continue to claim that America hasn't tried to right that wrong and has always ignored the effects of slavery on the black community. And I honestly believe there would be quite a bit more positive effect for the country from it in the long run, so for me I'm at the point where I'd support it if someone came up with a solid plan.

but it's all good, I could be way off with that line of thinking, and I don't see a serious proposal on it ever being considered by the government at this point anyway.

I hear you guys and I agree to a point there's always gonna be people trying to use race as a lever for political gain. And you might be right that nothing would ever be enough to heal the divisions that've been created throughout American history.

but I think that if we never make a specific effort to address the slavery issue, then for sure it will always be a festering wound in our history. If we do actually make that effort, though - involving black leadership in planning, publicizing it to high heaven as a sincere attempt to repair our past, etc - then at the very least no one can continue to claim that America hasn't tried to right that wrong and has always ignored the effects of slavery on the black community. And I honestly believe there would be quite a bit more positive effect for the country from it in the long run, so for me I'm at the point where I'd support it if someone came up with a solid plan.

but it's all good, I could be way off with that line of thinking, and I don't see a serious proposal on it ever being considered by the government at this point anyway.
You aren't off in your thinking.

Here's an example of how it should be done

It's long overdue.

BladeRunner said:
I hate to rain on your guy's parade, but I'm just not that hopeful.  It will NEVER be enough.  The race hustlers looking for payouts will always be screaming "RACISM" to get the next check and/or votes.  

I repeat, we could give them all the money the US has and once that runs out the race hustlers would be demanding more because, y'know, we haven't addressed the issue of racism (which we have repeatedly up until this point).  It would be a never-ending cycle, much like it is today.
a never ending cycle, kind of like systemic racism perhaps? 

People have been saying this for decades.  Ignoring the problem is not working.  Maybe, just maybe if we address these issues things will change for the better.  Nobody is looking for a handout.  Just equal treatment.  Is that too much to ask?  The sooner this is addressed the sooner race cant be used as an excuse.  Which is what you want right? 

Users who are viewing this thread