What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nuk holding out (1 Viewer)

Steed

Footballguy
Unhappy with contract, Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins has left camp, holdout underway, HOU has declined to negotiate, via @taniaganguli and me.

Update: Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins did not report to training camp. He now will be subject to fines of $40,000 for each day missed.

-per schefter

Last edited by a moderator:
Well when he shows up in 2 weeks with no contract and a few hundred thousand in fines he'll have less.
Texans are fools for not taking care of this. Nuk just turned 24 last month and is already being talked about as one of the best in the league at his position. Where is that offense without him? You just spent all that money on a young QB that you want to make your franchise QB and you aren't going to lockup his main target? Without him theres Cecil Shorts and a bunch of young guys that haven't done anything yet. Not smart by Houston. The GM just got a raise, you would think he would be smart enough to recognize what they need to do. 

Yes, the Texans should have taken care of the contract and rewarded him.

At the same time, stop being a baby :cry:  and play football under the contract that you signed. Holding out is a completely selfish move that may get him more money, but will hurt the team because of unneeded locker room drama and him not practicing with his team. As someone pointed out, injury risk also increases.

At the same time, stop being a baby :cry:  and play football under the contract that you signed. Holding out is a completely selfish move that may get him more money, but will hurt the team because of unneeded locker room drama and him not practicing with his team. As someone pointed out, injury risk also increases.
It's his job. The goal is to make money. That's why he is doing it. 

Football contracts arent fully guaranteed....i dont fault any superstar for trying to get a better contract from their rookie deal....if he has a career threatening injury the team would just cut him and he is sol...

They could have offered him an extension before now as they surely knew he wanted more money after such a great season. Some teams have done that IIRC. 

They didn't so this is the only real leverage he has to try to get them to change their mind. I would expect that Hopkins is part of their long term plans and so they will reach a compromise.

I don't follow the Texans very closely however. Is there a strained relationship between Hopkins and the coaches or front office in the past?

I was just thinking about when Percy Harvin was threatening hold out before the Vikings traded him to Seattle. Harvin did some other stuff besides that which caused the Vikings to want to part ways with him.

Lots of new receivers with the team now who need the reps.

Hopkins really has no leverage.  They picked up his fifth year option so they control his rights for 2 years plus franchise tags if they wish.

He has a roster bonus due Day 5 of camp, we'll see how long this plays out.

Sorry, he signed a 4 year deal that has 1 year left. The second year they are referring to is an option the Texans/NFL are imposing on him. The vets/NFLPA really ####ed the college kids. Every kid drafted in first 2 or 3 years should refuse to play and opt for going into next draft unless that 4 years is dropped to 2 or 3 years

"He has a roster bonus due Day 5 of camp"

He should show up, collect that, and then walk. Every player from that draft class should walk. Watch Goodell fold then

Sorry, he signed a 4 year deal that has 1 year left. The second year they are referring to is an option the Texans/NFL are imposing on him. The vets/NFLPA really ####ed the college kids. Every kid drafted in first 2 or 3 years should refuse to play and opt for going into next draft unless that 4 years is dropped to 2 or 3 years

"He has a roster bonus due Day 5 of camp"

He should show up, collect that, and then walk. Every player from that draft class should walk. Watch Goodell fold then
Lmfao yeah refuse to make any money. That will happen.

Football contracts arent fully guaranteed....i dont fault any superstar for trying to get a better contract from their rookie deal....if he has a career threatening injury the team would just cut him and he is sol...
I don't fault them for trying to get a better contract, of course. But if you are under contract, play it out. The agent and team should focus on the contract. The football player should play football. If has a career threatening injury, he still has millions of dollars, not really sol.

I don't fault them for trying to get a better contract, of course. But if you are under contract, play it out. The agent and team should focus on the contract. The football player should play football. If has a career threatening injury, he still has millions of dollars, not really sol.
Except the billionaire owners would never operate that way. They wouldn't honor his contract if he got hurt and couldn't play. They would cut him and stop paying him even though they have a hell of a lot more money than Nuk. 

Brandon Marshall did it right. He showed up to everything and just totally half assed it. It was probably even more impactful than no-showing plus it would allow to collect bonuses. 

man's word means nothing anymore 
You serious? NFL makes $10 billion n a year. They have received $7 billion of public money over the last 20 years to fund their stadiums. They have all the leverage i to dominate negotiations with the players. NFL players individually make a small amount compared to other major athletes. They have the shortest careers and take on the most serious health risks. The owners don't have to honor their word ever. They can cut players and stop paying their contracts. It's not about living up to their word, it is about trying to be paid fairly and take care of yourself/family. 

You serious? NFL makes $10 billion n a year. They have received $7 billion of public money over the last 20 years to fund their stadiums. They have all the leverage i to dominate negotiations with the players. NFL players individually make a small amount compared to other major athletes. They have the shortest careers and take on the most serious health risks. The owners don't have to honor their word ever. They can cut players and stop paying their contracts. It's not about living up to their word, it is about trying to be paid fairly and take care of yourself/family. 
yeah  I don't blame  player on bit for holding out.

GM Rick Smith's statement was also a major insult. It basically said "We told Nuk and his agent that we weren't discussing contracts. Our only focus in on winning football games and preparing for the season." This is one day after Smith signed contract extension. I guess after he got his $$$ was when they officially started to only think about winning football games.  

Brandon Marshall did it right. He showed up to everything and just totally half assed it. It was probably even more impactful than no-showing plus it would allow to collect bonuses. 
Yea, I don't get why you don't show, then 'injure' yourself, or some other means of holding out that doesn't cost you 40k a day

Hopkins really has no leverage.  They picked up his fifth year option so they control his rights for 2 years plus franchise tags if they wish.

He has a roster bonus due Day 5 of camp, we'll see how long this plays out.
Except the team has no offense at all without him. 

I hope he gets his money. I like that the money isn't guaranteed but players should be paid twice as much as they are. It's a joke. Houston has no shot if Hopkins doesn't play. If I was Hopkins I'd sit out for as many games as I could where I'd still get credited for the year. Not sure what that is though. If he doesn't get a contract out of that tell them he's doing it next year too.

Did I really just hear NFL network say Will Fuller is getting paid more than Nuk?

No effing kidding he's holding out. What a load of crap

I hope he gets his money. I like that the money isn't guaranteed but players should be paid twice as much as they are. It's a joke. Houston has no shot if Hopkins doesn't play. If I was Hopkins I'd sit out for as many games as I could where I'd still get credited for the year. Not sure what that is though. If he doesn't get a contract out of that tell them he's doing it next year too.
I believe players receive about 58% of the revenues as it is so that would not be very smart, now would it....

Texans are fools for not taking care of this. Nuk just turned 24 last month and is already being talked about as one of the best in the league at his position. Where is that offense without him? You just spent all that money on a young QB that you want to make your franchise QB and you aren't going to lockup his main target? Without him theres Cecil Shorts and a bunch of young guys that haven't done anything yet. Not smart by Houston. The GM just got a raise, you would think he would be smart enough to recognize what they need to do. 

Personally I couldn't care less what he does but he holds out but he has no leverage with the current NFL players agreement. There is literally zero chance that any of these guys miss real games but if you believe he might, go ahead. There is no benefit for the team and the negative is less cap space. Why would any team extend a player this early unless they really believe the player is going to explode and be worth even more down the road. That's not the case with Hopkins. They own him for another 2 years, they can worry about this then.

Who cares, they have him for the next 2 years and 3 if they franchise him once. There's only so much money to spend so why give a player money for nothing? They aren't giving back huge signing bonuses after they stink it up, no reason a team should worry about a wr making 5 million a year feeling bad for himself.
It's only 2 years cheap. The franchise tag will be expensive. The longer you wait to sign him, the more he will cost as each year the contracts get richer (Maybe Brown and OBJ, definitely Alshon). You can lock him in for his full prime right now. Maybe the Texans don't see him as an AJ, Julio type that can be the long term focal point of the offense. They spent a lot of money on a mediocre QB and a RB. It sure seems like they want to  win now. This isn't going to help at all. 

Except the team has no offense at all without him. 
How many games is he missing between now and Wednesday 445K roster bonus? That's almost half of his 2016 base.

FWIW, the fifth year option is 7.9 Mil that is guaranteed for injury.

How many games is he missing between now and Wednesday 445K roster bonus? That's almost half of his 2016 base.

FWIW, the fifth year option is 7.9 Mil that is guaranteed for injury.
Only guaranteed if they pick it up. Which they won't if he suffers a catastrophic injury this year. He is getting $1 mill for this year. 

I'm 100% behind all player holdouts. It's the only leverage they have. 
This is dumb. When Desean Jackson signs a new contract to pay him like a pro-bowler, he plays like a pro-bowler and then expects a brand new contract..... he doesn't deserve a brand new contract imo.

This isn'ttheat situation but not every holdout makes sense.

I don't think he's getting a new deal.  Too early in the game to do it.  I bet he comes back after missing some practices

Only guaranteed if they pick it up. Which they won't if he suffers a catastrophic injury this year. He is getting $1 mill for this year. 
They have already picked it up. Deadline is in May. If he blows out both ACLs in camp, he's guaranteed 7.9 Mil next year.

ETA - that's why things were so strange last year with RG3 and Redskins . After he lost job, Skins wouldn't even let him backup for fear of injury triggering guarantee in fifth year.

They have already picked it up. Deadline is in May. If he blows out both ACLs in camp, he's guaranteed 7.9 Mil next year.

ETA - that's why things were so strange last year with RG3 and Redskins . After he lost job, Skins wouldn't even let him backup for fear of injury triggering guarantee in fifth year.
Interesting, didn't know that part.  That does slightly change my opinion.

Ilov80s said:
Good for him, he deserves more $$$.
I don't think I'll ever fully understand why people take viewpoint or at least agree with it.

He should honor his contract and/or do his best to renegotiate it (or extend it). 

Aside from cutting players, has an NFL team ever renegotiated with a player simply because they were under performing?

I don't think I'll ever fully understand why people take viewpoint or at least agree with it.

He should honor his contract and/or do his best to renegotiate it (or extend it). 
This is how you renegotiate it in the NFL.  What don't u get?  These guys deserve what they're worth when any Sunday their career could be over.  This isn't baseball.  

You're Nuk and a rookie WR walks into camp, who hasn't seen an NFL snap, and looks you in the eye and says "I make more than you"

I mean... You're not gonna snap?

If you're elite, you should be paid like it. HOU digging its own grave here... If they dont step up, Nuk gonna get outta Houston, first chance he gets

This is how you renegotiate it in the NFL.  What don't u get?  These guys deserve what they're worth when any Sunday their career could be over.  This isn't baseball.  
Would you be okay with a team renegotiating a contract for a player that's sucking?

Let's say a player making $10 mil/year is playing more like a $1 or $2 mil/year player......should the team say, "Nah, you're under performing. Let's renegotiate before the season starts (or we're cutting you)."

Aside from cutting players, has an NFL team ever renegotiated with a player simply because they were under performing?
Yes, many times a player is forced to accept a reduced salary or be cut... but that process happen much earlier in the off season

Would you be okay with a team renegotiating a contract for a player that's sucking?

Let's say a player making $10 mil/year is playing more like a $1 or $2 mil/year player......should the team say, "Nah, you're under performing. Let's renegotiate before the season starts (or we're cutting you)."

Umm this happens all the time.   Don't think you get it.  These aren't guaranteed contracts.  These guys deserve to get what they're worth.  If the pay was guaranteed, then it changes things. 

Users who are viewing this thread