Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Casting Couch

JALEN RICHARD - RB Oakland - Run don't walk !!

Fool’s gold. Sat on my bench for the last two years and finally dumped him prior to the draft. Kid has a bunch of talent but he’s not in the right place. You’ll get a double digit game or two, and looks like he already has one, so the ROS isn’t looking bright. 

In the event Marshawn were to go down, does he pick up some slack in the run game? Or do people see Doug taking over the Marshawn role?

1 hour ago, ldizzle said:

In the event Marshawn were to go down, does he pick up some slack in the run game? Or do people see Doug taking over the Marshawn role?

It would be Doug. Perhaps Richard gets a slight uptick in carries, but his role is essentially as the COP/passing down back, and it would remain as it is whether Marshawn is available or not.

• Like 1

Maybe it’s just my Silver and Black colored glasses but I’d love to see Richard come in before Martin when Lynch gets a breather. I love Richard's spark and burst. He doesn’t seem to be a liability on the field so I’m not sure what’s holding him back. 

Richard has been permanently type cast to his current role and while very important to the Raiders, he will never be more than he currently is to fantasy owners.  If anything happened to Lynch Doug Martin would become the new starter.

Edited by JohnnyU

Jalen Richard caught 7-of-8 targets for 48 yards and rushed twice for three yards in the Raiders' Week 6 loss to Seattle.

When the Raiders play from behind, Richard's usage spikes as a frequent checkdown target for checkdown-loving Derek Carr. The team's leading receiver in Sunday's blowout loss, Richard will remain a negative-game-script-dependent, PPR-only flex option when Oakland emerges from its Week 7 bye.

Oct 14 - 4:10 PM

On 9/29/2018 at 5:44 PM, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

It would be Doug. Perhaps Richard gets a slight uptick in carries, but his role is essentially as the COP/passing down back, and it would remain as it is whether Marshawn is available or not.

Quoting myself, I know.

At this point, seeing how Martin hasn't really impressed with his carries, I do think Richard is the better pick up. Martin will get the short yard/clear run downs, but I think Richard brings a more dynamic look to the offense and has continued to look more explosive.

No doubt the team gives Martin a chance to see what he can do if Lynch is out -- it's why they brought him in in the very first place.

But not being impressed with Martin, I believe he'll ceded carries -- regular run down carries -- to Richard if Lynch is out for a while. 

• Like 2

The more I think of it, I think Richard may be a sneakier (and cheaper) pickup than the Itos and Mosterts of the world. 

Even if Lynch's groin is OK, the team is really coming apart at the seams and game scripts are looking more and more in favor of Richard as the passing down back. 

• Like 1

Would love to see Richard get a large role with Lynch out, but likely Chucky will be running Martin a lot on early downs and keeping Richard in a passing/change of pace role. Still some PPR upside though I’d say.

Edited by zamboni

Quite the FA rb day.   

OAK is a dumpster fire both literally and figuratively.  Martin v Richard.  Hyde n Chubb.  

Chucky is drivin the crazy train, w Halloween looming.  Wouldn't surprise me if Carr was traded.   

Vs kc, sd?, den...

If i had one piece of advice to give someone new to FF it would be the wr2 on a good team >>> the wr1 on a sinking ship.   Ymmv

Or rb etc...

Edited by thecardiackid

I suspect Richard's role stays about the same.  11 Rushes over 6 games--doesn't give a ringing endorsement from Gruden in terms of giving Richard carries.  Maybe they use a few more RB passes though?

Martin gets the biggest boost in value, but obviously it seems like his best days are behind him.  Still, both guys worth a look in deeper leagues.

7 minutes ago, jm192 said:

I suspect Richard's role stays about the same.  11 Rushes over 6 games--doesn't give a ringing endorsement from Gruden in terms of giving Richard carries.  Maybe they use a few more RB passes though?

Martin gets the biggest boost in value, but obviously it seems like his best days are behind him.  Still, both guys worth a look in deeper leagues.

I think Richard gets the biggest boost in value. He was top 40 while only getting 11 carries over 6 games. 5 to 7 carries a game and Richard is easily top 30. 

1 minute ago, Nero said:

I think Richard gets the biggest boost in value. He was top 40 while only getting 11 carries over 6 games. 5 to 7 carries a game and Richard is easily top 30. 

The 5-7 carries a game is where I struggle with it.  He's been given 11 carries on the year--5 of those came in week 1.  So 6 rushes in the last 5 weeks.  I suspect we'll just see most of the carries going to Martin in the way they have to Lynch.  Then Richard gets the pass catching work as he has.

I suppose it's arguing Syntax, but...I agree that Richard is the one to own if you're going to take one of the two--especially in PPR.  But I don't see his value taking a huge uptick.  Martin on the other hand will go from 4-5 touches a game to 15+

24 minutes ago, jm192 said:

I suspect Richard's role stays about the same.  11 Rushes over 6 games--doesn't give a ringing endorsement from Gruden in terms of giving Richard carries. 

And Dougie has 27. If Gruden splits up carries by the same 3:1, Richard gets 6 or 8 carries a game. That's what I would expect with optimism he'll catch more passes as well. And Hopefully Gruden doesn't get the idea to involve Washington or anybody else.

Edited by cloppbeast

7 hours ago, jm192 said:

Richard should get an uptick in carries because Martin is not Lynch.   Lynch was easily the best back to get carries while Martin may be slightly better than Richard at running the ball.   Assuming Martin takes over 100% of the Lynch role seems wrong but then again I have no idea what Gruden will do since his decisions suck at best.  Hell, Washington could become the new lead back this week or next and I wouldn't be surprised.   

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Richard should get an uptick in carries because Martin is not Lynch.   Lynch was easily the best back to get carries while Martin may be slightly better than Richard at running the ball.   Assuming Martin takes over 100% of the Lynch role seems wrong but then again I have no idea what Gruden will do since his decisions suck at best.  Hell, Washington could become the new lead back this week or next and I wouldn't be surprised.   

This is my thinking as well, I've added Richard in 2 leagues.

But I also agree with the who the hell knows part :lol:

• Like 1

I think Richard is actually better than Martin in all facets of the running game except for maybe in a short yardage situation.  Richard has had that 3rd down role, but he's not a little scatback - he can run between the tackles too.

I'm anxious to see what Richard can do with increased opportunity, even in Gruden's raging dumpster fire.  We certainly can't assume rational coaching with that #### show, but maybe Richard can make some plays and force his way into a bigger role even after Lynch comes back.

I also wonder why Lynch still plays for Oakland... He wanted to come back to play there because they had a decent squad and it's his home town team... well, neither of those two things are the case anymore.  They suck, intend to suck, and are bailing for Vegas.

Edited by kittenmittens
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jm192 said:

I suspect Richard's role stays about the same. 

I believe this is Gruden's plan. But that success of that plan will hinge on Doug Martin being at least close to as effective as Lynch and that's where the plan might get derailed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kittenmittens said:

I think Richard is actually better than Martin in all facets of the running game except for maybe in a short yardage situation.  Richard has had that 3rd down role, but he's not a little scatback - he can run between the tackles too.

I'm anxious to see what Richard can do with increased opportunity, even in Gruden's raging dumpster fire.  We certainly can't assume rational coaching with that #### show, but maybe Richard can make some plays and force his way into a bigger role even after Lynch comes back.

I also wonder why Lynch still plays for Oakland... He wanted to come back to play there because they had a decent squad and it's his home town team... well, neither of those two things are the case anymore.  They suck, intend to suck, and are bailing for Vegas.

Totally agree. Would love to see Richard get the lion’s share to see what he can really do, instead of the very mediocre looking Martin. Richard just has a spark every time he touches the ball. 

• Like 1

Have to think at some point team brass wants to see what they have in Richard for the future. Lynch and Martin are UFAs at the end of the season, and I can’t imagine that either is a big part of the future at this stage of their careers. Richard may be - dynasty leaguers should be watching this situation.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 8:15 AM, DocHolliday said:

I don't think Martin is anything special.  But Richard has been there and the way they have used him screams that he won't be someone who gets handed the football.  I would assume Martin sees the bulk, then Washington, then Richard might get 1-2 in a game.  Richard is still who you want because of the pass catching.  But I don't see him changing. 

On 10/20/2018 at 9:36 AM, zamboni said:

Have to think at some point team brass wants to see what they have in Richard for the future. Lynch and Martin are UFAs at the end of the season, and I can’t imagine that either is a big part of the future at this stage of their careers. Richard may be - dynasty leaguers should be watching this situation.

Richard definitely will be. He's producing with what they are giving him, and is a good compliment to Chris Warren, who seems IMHO to be our future starter next year.

Washington has always seemed expendable to me given that he brings the same skill set as Richard, and Richard always seems to produce slightly better and just "looks" more dynamic.

Some solid backs coming up in the first round in the draft for the Raiders, too -- Bryce Love if they want a CMC-like compliment to Warren, Damien Harris/Rodney Anderson for more north/south backs, Justice Hill or David Montgomery, and so on. I bet Raiders clean house and keep Warren and Richard and look to build through the draft.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Richard definitely will be. He's producing with what they are giving him, and is a good compliment to Chris Warren, who seems IMHO to be our future starter next year.

Washington has always seemed expendable to me given that he brings the same skill set as Richard, and Richard always seems to produce slightly better and just "looks" more dynamic.

Some solid backs coming up in the first round in the draft for the Raiders, too -- Bryce Love if they want a CMC-like compliment to Warren, Damien Harris/Rodney Anderson for more north/south backs, Justice Hill or David Montgomery, and so on. I bet Raiders clean house and keep Warren and Richard and look to build through the draft.

Thanks for the insight. Good info on Warren - he’s a guy I’m looking to stash later this season. He’s officially unable to return this year, correct?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Thanks for the insight. Good info on Warren - he’s a guy I’m looking to stash later this season. He’s officially unable to return this year, correct?

For dynasty or other types of keeper leagues, if you had the room I would stash. He looked fantastic in preseason, often playing against the 1s and through games as Lynch and Martin both sat out most/all preseason. He has the "it" factor and if Lynch does not return, is the Raiders unquestionable starter, IMHO.

I believe that IR rules changed such that any team can bring back 2 players (instead of just one) from IR in a year after they have been out the proscribed 8 weeks. The one caveat is that players must be on the 53-man roster in Week 1.

As far as I remember and can confirm, Warren was placed on IR on Sept. 2nd, and was not on the 53-man roster. It was DeAndre Washington who made that final 53 as an RB and is the guy who is likely to come back after Week 8 to help the squad.

So I am nearly certain (98.8%?) Warren won't be back this year. So, not useful in redraft. But definitely should be added in keeper/dynasty, IMHO.

• Like 2

With Amari Cooper just having been traded to the Cowboys, might be an extra bump for Richard in PPR leagues. Not a whole lot of receiving options left beyond a past his prime Jordy Nelson, decent but nothing special Seth Roberts, enigmatic Martavis Bryant, and a hot and cold Jared Cook.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zamboni said:

With Amari Cooper just having been traded to the Cowboys, might be an extra bump for Richard in PPR leagues. 

This is the reason why I finally grabbed him from FA. With the amount of target he's getting (I think I ready #6 RB in terms of targets) he's only bound to get better.

Not a season winner but definitely great for flex weeks.

5 minutes ago, JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo said:

This is the reason why I finally grabbed him from FA. With the amount of target he's getting (I think I ready #6 RB in terms of targets) he's only bound to get better.

Not a season winner but definitely great for flex weeks.

Cooper wasn't getting targets in most games, so I'm not sure how much Richard will improve based on the trade. But without Lynch, there'll be more 3rd and long for Richard.

8 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Who else is rolling Richard out for Thursday Night Football?!?!

Let's do this   :football:

Starting him this week at flex with half my team on bye.  Just hoping for 4 catches, 40 yards or so, anything else would be gravy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Who else is rolling Richard out for Thursday Night Football?!?!

Let's do this   :football:

16 team PPR dynasty - starting him over Robby Anderson and Josh Reynolds (with Kupp probably back), 

With AJ, Mixon and and Odell on bye he’s in at my second flex spot in a PPR, would love something similar like last week

• Like 1

Rollin' with him out of necessity, I like the 49'ers going up here early in the 2nd qtr!

4 for 45.  Only 2 rushes.  Gruden doesn't seem to want to hand the ball to him often. 

Game got out of hand or he could have had more catches.  PPR he was fine though.  I started him in a PPR league at flex and, I've done worse than 8.5 points.  I don't expect much more week to week.  He'll have some 6-8 catch games. I don't know how often the Raiders will have a chance to play with a lead.

6 hours ago, jm192 said:

4 for 45.  Only 2 rushes.  Gruden doesn't seem to want to hand the ball to him often. 

Game got out of hand or he could have had more catches.  PPR he was fine though.  I started him in a PPR league at flex and, I've done worse than 8.5 points.  I don't expect much more week to week.  He'll have some 6-8 catch games. I don't know how often the Raiders will have a chance to play with a lead.

The only thing the Raiders care about is securing the number one pick. Richards is an explosive player. He will not be given the ball much due to the risk that he may score points.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wlwiles said:

Starting him this week at flex with half my team on bye.  Just hoping for 4 catches, 40 yards or so, anything else would be gravy

Well he satisfied your expectations nearly to a tee.

48 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

The only thing the Raiders care about is securing the number one pick. Richards is an explosive player. He will not be given the ball much due to the risk that he may score points.

A lot of old school coaches have affinity towards veterans, and Chucky seems to be one. To be fair though, Martin has been running well the past two games - there have just not been a whole lot of plays for the offense in general.

10 hours ago, King of the Jungle said:

Well he satisfied your expectations nearly to a tee.

0.9 pts of gravy!  He gave me exactly what I expected, which I think is probably going to be his neighborhood every week now.  He probably won't get 2 touchdowns the rest of the way, but he's going to be a safe 4/45/0 flex type guy or bye/injury replacement.