What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

JALEN RICHARD - RB Oakland - Run don't walk !! (2 Viewers)

Washington has a fumble last week, no idea if that affects his chances.

For real, I can't tell the difference between the two of them. 

Murrays snaps and total opportunities over 4 weeks have been 

62% 16

48% 14

48% 11

57% 10

Washington and Richard have been splitting pretty evenly as the second half of this committee.

Washington has 26 total opportunities and Richard has 25.

Not sure if Richard or Washintons playing time will increase or not moving forward, but Murray's opportunities have been declining. The last 2 weeks Richard and Washington combined have had more total opportunities than Murray has.
I ran a test to determine if there was a statistically significant difference between his % snaps over the first 4 weeks and there is not. While he's gotten a significantly fewer carries over the last several weeks, the percent snaps are no different. 

So in other words, nothing to see here; more of a product of game flow IMO. Further data is needed to demonstrate a statistical change 

Last edited by a moderator:
They both have been producing more than murray too
Yeah for an efficiency perspective:

Murray 4,3 ypc (which is still pretty good)

Washington 6.4 ypc

Richard 8.5 ypc 

As receivers:

Murray 11 targets 10 receptions 63 yards 6.3 ypc 90.9% catch rate 5.73 YPT

Wahington 6 targets 6 receptions 37 yards 6.2 ypc 100% catch rate 6.17 YPT

Richard 7 targets 5 receptions 39 yards 7.8 ypc 71.4% catch rate 5.57 YPT

I really can't fault Murray on any of these numbers considering he has had twice as much volume as the other two. Perhaps being spelled by the other RB is helping him perform better as well.

If we look at just the last two games however

Murray 18 rushing attempts 56 yards 3.1 ypc 3 targets 3 receptions 6 yards 2 ypc 2 YPT

Washington 11 rushing attempts 87 yards 7.9 ypc 4 targets 4 receptions 21 yards 5.25 ypc 5.25 YPT

Richard 8 rushing attempts 43 yards 5.4 ypc 4 targets 2 receptions 18 yards 9 ypc 4.5 YPT

So from this perspective Washington has done more with his opportunities than Richard has over the last 2 weeks. Both have done more than Murray.

Not sure what happened with the two incomplete targets for RIchard last week, if those were catchable or not.

I ran a test to determine if there was a statistically significant difference between his % snaps over the first 4 weeks and there is not. While he's gotten a significantly fewer carries over the last several weeks, the percent snaps are no different. 

So in other words, nothing to see here; more of a product of game flow IMO. Further data is needed to demonstrate a statistical change 
What sort of test did you do?

Obviously none of these sample sizes are enough for them to be significant by any form of rigorous analysis. In fact we would need several seasons of data to even begin to get close to that.

All the data I posted above shows is the trend, which is that Murray is getting slightly less opportunity each game, and also that the other two RB are doing more with their opportunities.

i just traded Pryor for Murrary + Washington in a dynasty league. I already had Richard and this made sense to me somehow. I'm not happy by completing the trio in a RBBC but this long term works.

There is nothing wrong with Murray as his numbers are basically average when looking at his career stats. He does have below average yards per target, but everything else is fine.

The problem however with Murray is that what made him a useful RB last season was the volume of opportunities he got, which he is not getting anymore this season. Last year he averaged 20 opportunities per game. This year he is only getting 12.75 and the trend is down slightly each game.

From an efficiency stand point this seems to be working out for all of the RB and for the Raiders, so this 50/25/25 split may continue all year long.

On his long TD run he made a move on the NT behind the line of scrimmage that NONE of the other Raider RBs would make, not even DWashington. At first, I thought it was instinctual but a bit lucky, but in a postgame locker room interview, Richard indicated that it was completely intentional and a conscious setup all the way. As he approaches the line, he sees that the NT is two gapping, so JRich cuts right, gets the NT to commit to that hole and then explodes left through the opposite hole and past the line, eventually on to 75 yards of glory. He literally said he saw the NT two gapping and set him up with the lean right, cut left. That interview, plus a punt return that got called back in which he juked the #### out of like three defenders without any hitch in his moves has me VERY high on this kid all of a sudden. Grab and stash.
Vision.

So I'm guessing Washington could be the slightly better play here ? Both him and Richard are available on my wire 

i picked up washington ... my team is awful and full of crappy players so i could probably drop someone else to pickup jalen too -considering it

Dropped Tyrell Williams for him ( don't really need Williams as have Beckham, Marshall, Maclin and Marvin plus Tyrell has DEN twice in next 4 weeks ). Toe injuries can fester and keep a player out or even if they try to play on, can cause the players performance to go down and give more chances to others. Thinkin CJ Anderson last year. 

We don't really know how this breaks down if Murray is out but I think a 50/50 split is safe to assume..

Snaps through 4 weeks..

Washington - 11%, 20%, 28%, 17%

Richard - 15%, 21%, 20%, 25%

Utilization through 4 weeks..

Washington - 6, 5, 7, 8

Richard - 5, 8 ,7, 5

So if Murray to sit I think we'd see each play on ~50% of snaps and see 10-15 touches.

I can't imagine anyone has a clue.  They'll both get run, and the one that scores on a  draw or screen will be the one to own.  Washington, gun to my head.  

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/343861/report-latavius-murray-is-pretty-banged-up

According to Vic Tafur of the SF Chronicle, Latavius Murray emerged from Sunday's win over the Ravens "pretty banged up."
Murray didn't practice on Wednesday and was listed with a toe injury. It's unclear how Murray got so banged up on his lightest touch total (10) of the season in Week 4, but CSN Bay Area's Scott Bair passed along word that Murray has been sporting a walking boot on his foot for the past few days. Murray is shaping up as truly questionable for Week 5 against the Chargers. Rookie DeAndre Washington would likely get the start if Murray can't go.

Interesting take from Waldman..

Matt Waldman‏@MattWaldman

I know he's seeing a steady diet of draws, but Jalen Richard is the best between the tackles runner on the Oakland roster.
I haven't gotten a good enough look at both yet. I'll probably give each a watch soon.

He already has 2 huge plays in 4 games and has had hardly any opportunity.  

I think he will be the Victor Cruz of running backs and just force his way onto the field. 

I like the idea of stashing both Washington and Richard and think they can both make for flex plays this week.

They are facing a SD team that has given up a whopping 35ppg to RBs in PPR. They've also allowed the 2nd most receptions to RBs (36), only ATL has given up more.

Personally, I'm still torn on who to pick up between Richard or Washington. From the sound of it, Washington is looking to be the starter though...right?

DeAndre Washington is the Raiders' likely starter for Week 5 against the Chargers.

Washington's touch share has grown every week this season, and Latavius Murray's toe injury will give the Raiders an excuse to expand Washington's role significantly versus San Diego. Washington lost a near-costly late-game fumble in last week's win over Baltimore, which would be more of a concern for Washington's playing time if committee partner Jalen Richard hadn't committed two drops. We are guessing Washington will handle 13-17 touches against the Chargers with Richard mixing in for 7-12 and Jamize Olawale possibly vulturing short-yardage work.

Reposting what I just said in the Washington thread. I'm getting both of them where I can though until we get more news

I see this shaking out as Washington being the starter, 60-70% of the carries. However, I think they split 3rd down work with the snaps favoring Richard, slightly favoring him in overall targets as well. I see Richard as their 2 minute drill guy as well as a (more) trusted resource in pass blocking. Not sure he actually is a better blocker but he seems to be utilized as that way. My money is on Washington to bring home the bacon this week but they will eat into each other. Overall, more work for Washington, similar overall snap count. They will both be on the field so they will both have a good go at proving they should be king in the castle.

Both Jalen and DeAndre are rostered in my keeper league, but both available in short bench redraft so grabbed Washington but wish I had space to grab both in redraft. :angry:

ESPN Raiders reporter Paul Gutierrez expects Jalen Richard and DeAndre Washington to "split the load" in Latavius Murray's (toe) absence.
Richard and Washington's playing time has been pretty much dead even to this point. Washington has handled a few more touches recently, and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported prior to Sunday's win over Baltimore that the Raiders wanted to increase Washington's role. Washington is the best bet as a Week 5 fantasy start, but Richard isn't far behind, especially after Washington lost a late-game fumble against the Ravens. As toe/foot injuries like Murray's can be tricky and have a tendency to cost players more time than expected, both Washington and Richard are worth picking up in all 12-team fantasy leagues.

Source: ESPN.com 
Oct 5 - 11:09 PM

Washington gone in all my twelve team PPR leagues but I did snag Richard in a bunch. I cut Ajay for him in a few. Not sure that's too smart but what the heck...

Ppr

Need a rb play this week.  Drop james white for Richard and play him this week?  Washington is rostered.  I think both are great plays this week though and will be close to 5050 in usage.  

Just stashed him. I put him on the bench with my other 2 lotto picks, Smallwood and Booker.  We'll see if one can break out before year end.

Ppr

Need a rb play this week.  Drop james white for Richard and play him this week?  Washington is rostered.  I think both are great plays this week though and will be close to 5050 in usage.  
I wouldn't do that in PPR.

Remains to be seen of course, but James White was a beast in PPR down the stretch last year. With Brady back he could be a RB2 the rest of the way depending on Dion Lewis.

I wouldn't do that in PPR.

Remains to be seen of course, but James White was a beast in PPR down the stretch last year. With Brady back he could be a RB2 the rest of the way depending on Dion Lewis.
Yeah I don't see much difference of a play either now that I look at it closer. Just excited about the possibilities for richard

I've benched Jalen for Bilal Powell this week.   If Murray plays I just don't think Jalen will get enough snaps to expect him to put up reasonable numbers...

... that probably means he'll score 2 TDs this week.

The death knell strikes. Load up on Washington and Richard shares, boys.
Yep I think this a two week absence at least with potential to be nagging enough that it could turn into a multi week issue.

Even Snead sat out one game with turf toe and he's a WR. Plus iirc I don't think there were any news that he was in a boot either.

Users who are viewing this thread