What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (5 Viewers)

Your weekly reminder that Jessie Lingard is worthless.  Should have been 1-0 United long before De Gea's howler and the PK.  United were sloppy but mostly in control.  And I believe if De Gea doesn't let that in, the PK doesn't happen and the game is a different story.  Would they have won?  Don't know.  But 1-0 or 0-0 gives more hope then 0-2.

United's lack of a true 10 that can create, open a defense, and is a scoring threat is the biggest issue.  Pogba showed more in 30 mins then Lingard, Pereira and Mata have shown in 3 months combined.  If Pogba can play the 10 and actually be good Pogba, United can start winning games vs lower table teams.  IF Ole keeps running out Lingard & Pereira with Pogba back and Fred/McT showing a good partnership then I will agree he is not suited for the manager spot. But now he is cleaning up a mess left by the board & Jose/LVG/Moyes.  He has the same points in a year as Klopp did his first at Liverpool.  The board needs to back him in Jan and the summer.  If they don't, you can't expect the results to improve.

Sell: Matic, Young, Jones

Bench: Lingard, Pereira (Lingard has value as an English & academy player, plus they could play Cup games)

Buy: Midfielders.  May also need a left back and another attacker although Greenwood looks legit.  
I agree the board and previous managers didn't do Ole any favors but it's impossible for me to overlook what he's done against the bottom of the table.  He has superior talent now compared to those team - I don't see how giving him even more talent resolves the current problem. 

Chelsea fan arrested for racist something towards Son...turned in by Chelsea fans.

Don't think it's fair to rely on self policing, but in the absence of stronger enforcement, it's at least something.

And spurs have applied to have sons red overturned. Last time around I totally agreed with it being reversed (he clattered into somebody who ended up breaking their leg...West Ham?), But this time I think it's ridiculous to even ask. He rabbit kicked with his both feet at rudigers midsection. That rudiger overacted doesn't minimize sons action, which warranted the red as violent conduct.

I agree the board and previous managers didn't do Ole any favors but it's impossible for me to overlook what he's done against the bottom of the table.  He has superior talent now compared to those team - I don't see how giving him even more talent resolves the current problem. 
I get that but did you say the same when Klopp took over Liverpool?  I am not saying Ole is as good as Klopp, I'm saying you have to give him talent to see if he can be.

And again, to me it goes back to missing that threat in the 10.  Lower teams will sit back and try and catch you on a counter or lucky break when playing top teams.  Like United did vs City and Tottenham.  But when you are the "higher team" and have all the possession you need that player to unlock the D with a creative pass or beating a player 1v1.  United have been missing that.  They have lacked vision, proper runs and shots with Lingard and Pereira in the 10.  Never going to break down a parked bus with those 2  as evident by Pogba's intro to the game yesterday.  Before Pogba they had like 2 good chances in 60 mins, and then 7 in the 30 mins after he come on.   

Next up through Jan: Newcastle, Burnley, Arsenal, Wolves (FA Cup), City (LC), Norwich, Liverpool, Burnley, City (LC). 
Obviously City and Liverpool will be different games.  Not sure how Arsenal will play but should be beatable.  But the rest  will sit back and bunker in.  Play Pogba in the 10 in front of McT and Fred and see what happens.  Will prove one of us to be right.

Chelsea fan arrested for racist something towards Son...turned in by Chelsea fans.

Don't think it's fair to rely on self policing, but in the absence of stronger enforcement, it's at least something.

And spurs have applied to have sons red overturned. Last time around I totally agreed with it being reversed (he clattered into somebody who ended up breaking their leg...West Ham?), But this time I think it's ridiculous to even ask. He rabbit kicked with his both feet at rudigers midsection. That rudiger overacted doesn't minimize sons action, which warranted the red as violent conduct.
This is Son's 3rd red card of 2019.  And I just saw the video and yes it should stand.

And VAR is probably the main reason  :fro:  doesn't want to come back.  How many reds would he have seen on VAR review?   :lmao:

This is Son's 3rd red card of 2019.  And I just saw the video and yes it should stand.

And VAR is probably the main reason  :fro:  doesn't want to come back.  How many reds would he have seen on VAR review?   :lmao:
Oh man... There was Fergie time- I never thought about all the VAR time fro would elicit. Games would last for hours!

Probably right, but the one thing about games being halted or suspended is that I think the incidence of self-policing will increase and there will be more pressure on fans to turn in the perps.  I've never experienced being part of an ultra fan group, so may be way off on this, but I think if games start getting cancelled, forfeited and the like, other fans will start to turn on the racists.

Probably right, but the one thing about games being halted or suspended is that I think the incidence of self-policing will increase and there will be more pressure on fans to turn in the perps.  I've never experienced being part of an ultra fan group, so may be way off on this, but I think if games start getting cancelled, forfeited and the like, other fans will start to turn on the racists.
That's a big if that seems far away based on current standards. But I agree... And hopefully they take that next step.

I saw lamps interviewed afterwards saying that if his players made the decision to walk off, he's support them. I feel like everybody feels that way, but it's a big responsibility to be that team that actually does it when the rules aren't so clear.

The last thing I want to see is racists win.  Forfeiting games is just a terrible solution.

The last thing I want to see is racists win.  Forfeiting games is just a terrible solution.
In that situation, I'd hope the FA would step in and finish the game later at an empty venue.  If racists caused games to be taken away from fans, then the 99% of fans that aren't racist would be all over getting rid of the #######s.  It's not an elegant solution, but I don't know any that would be.

I get that but did you say the same when Klopp took over Liverpool?  I am not saying Ole is as good as Klopp, I'm saying you have to give him talent to see if he can be.

And again, to me it goes back to missing that threat in the 10.  Lower teams will sit back and try and catch you on a counter or lucky break when playing top teams.  Like United did vs City and Tottenham.  But when you are the "higher team" and have all the possession you need that player to unlock the D with a creative pass or beating a player 1v1.  United have been missing that.  They have lacked vision, proper runs and shots with Lingard and Pereira in the 10.  Never going to break down a parked bus with those 2  as evident by Pogba's intro to the game yesterday.  Before Pogba they had like 2 good chances in 60 mins, and then 7 in the 30 mins after he come on.   

Next up through Jan: Newcastle, Burnley, Arsenal, Wolves (FA Cup), City (LC), Norwich, Liverpool, Burnley, City (LC). 
Obviously City and Liverpool will be different games.  Not sure how Arsenal will play but should be beatable.  But the rest  will sit back and bunker in.  Play Pogba in the 10 in front of McT and Fred and see what happens.  Will prove one of us to be right.
Good question about Klopp but he had a pedigree where Ole doesn’t.  I’m fine to give him more time though - it’s just frustrating as I think they have shown in their top of the table matches that there’s talent there.

In that situation, I'd hope the FA would step in and finish the game later at an empty venue.  If racists caused games to be taken away from fans, then the 99% of fans that aren't racist would be all over getting rid of the #######s.  It's not an elegant solution, but I don't know any that would be.
I'm in this camp until I hear something better. But the FA has to make it crystal clear and allow for something to happen. Shouldn't be up to the captain.

encaitar said:
F*** an "elegant" solution, it needs to be a Machiavellian one.

ETA:  Everywhere, ESPECIALLY  in Italy.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think you are referring to Gomes from Everton

Good question about Klopp but he had a pedigree where Ole doesn’t.  I’m fine to give him more time though - it’s just frustrating as I think they have shown in their top of the table matches that there’s talent there.
Agree with this.  The talent is there, they just need one player to unlock it.  So of course Pogba is on the bench today for the Newcastle match and Pereira gets the start.   :censored:

Keep this up Ole and the fans will turn on you.

Your weekly reminder that Lingard and Pereira are a waste.

Pogba looked good.  The front three looked good.  Now get Pogba in the 10 and this team can be flying.

What happened to chels today? 
Lampard chose to start a 3-4-3 against a team that was parking the bus.  He also chose to play CHO despite Callum showing nothing the last few times out(apparently he was working hard in training).  At halftime he subbed Mount on and went back to a 4-2-3-1 and they showed a little bit more spark, but couldn't get a shot on goal.  By the time Pulisic(and later Pedro) were brought on to try and add creativity, it was too late for them.

I anticipate 2-3 players being brought in next month.  That team has too many holes to hold on to the top 4 spot it has without such measures.

TAA has three assists and a goal.
I asked the question earlier last year. Now, I'm pretty confident that TAA/Robertson are the best fullback pair on any team. 

Crazy how we used to laugh at Liverpool's defense and they are again the #1 defense in the league. VVD worth every penny they spent and same goes for Alisson.

I asked the question earlier last year. Now, I'm pretty confident that TAA/Robertson are the best fullback pair on any team. 

Crazy how we used to laugh at Liverpool's defense and they are again the #1 defense in the league. VVD worth every penny they spent and same goes for Alisson.
They've been great.

Vvd has been huge. But as you say the fbs getting experience is big too- they were both good, but they've become great. The MF having time to learn how to play in front of them is big too... As well as the defensive work put in by the forwards.

I gotta I'm saying, yes it's the players- but it's the players having a couple years to progress individually and learn llopps system.

Ederson just get sent off about 12 minutes into the game against Wolves. Got a red card for making contact on a breakaway player. 

Encroachment because the guy who cleared the ball was on the line... 3 city and 1 other wolves player were already in the box.

Sterling so overrated

I was 100% in favor of VAR as an idea but in practice it sucks.  Every week in the EPL another seemingly good goal is removed because of fraction of an inch.  VAR should be used to fix egregious mistakes, not take goals off the board that in any other year would stand.

Look at this non goal from Pukki.  From the naked eye this would have stood for a century past as a goal.

https://streamja.com/gRzJ

Here is the moment in time snap shot. 

https://twitter.com/MenInBlazers/status/1210987247958450177?s=20

I was 100% in favor of VAR as an idea but in practice it sucks.  Every week in the EPL another seemingly good goal is removed because of fraction of an inch.  VAR should be used to fix egregious mistakes, not take goals off the board that in any other year would stand.

Look at this non goal from Pukki.  From the naked eye this would have stood for a century past as a goal.

https://streamja.com/gRzJ

Here is the moment in time snap shot. 

https://twitter.com/MenInBlazers/status/1210987247958450177?s=20
Because his armpit...as arbitrarily decided by the person drawing the lines from random spots on the two bodies and stopping the action at exactly that moment rather than a split second before or after make it indisputable.

How in god's name did Dortmund pull off the Haaland deal for only $18m euro's?  He is arguably the hottest young player on the planet....

They are going to five X him in three years knowing Dortmund :)

And ars have been the better team today imo...looked the most organized I've seen them this year. But the defense let them down twice here.

Pretty solid choke job by the gunners here. That first goal was just a total brain implosion by Leno. I’m still fairly new to following this - Does he make mistakes like that a lot?

Users who are viewing this thread