What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You don't sit your studs, right? (1 Viewer)

Remember that offenses have an advantage at the start of the season because the NFL doesn't allow defensive players to practice with the team until 10 days before their opening game. It's a fact.

I've got Winston warming the bench
He has a nice matchup, but not sure I could do it. Newton will likely have at least a decent showing (1 passing, 1 rushing TD?) so I wouldn't sweat it. It depends on what would make you feel worse, heading into Sunday with a subpar performance from your starting QB or benching him and watching him be the guy you drafted him to be? At least you'd still have some hope that Winston could have a huge game if Cam did go off on your bench.

Looking over FFPA to QBs by DTs in 2015, Luck, Brady (x2) and Roethlisbeger (x2) all put up decent but not great games in 2015 versus Denver.

Winston's two games versus Atlant were 19.5 and 19.6 in 4 point TD games - less than what elite QBs put up versus the Broncos.

Cam put up 10.1 in SB L. That was his worst game of the year by far, he averaged 24.9 PPG. In the last 3 years his only sub-10 games were SEA 2014 and ARI + SF 2013,

I read this topic title and immediately thought of Cam. 

In the assistant coach's forum this seems to be a popular question.  I am normally one to never bench my studs, but jeez - this Denver defense demolished him in the SB. 

But if you bench him, guaranteed he blows up. The fantasy football gods frown upon such insolence. 

What did Denver do to replace Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan?
I'm going to start Cam with confidence. This is great point and how much damage is a Seiman lead offense going to do against that Carolina defense? 

I will make you all a bet; if Cam doesn't score (rushing and/or passing) 3 or more TDs, I will give you a free Like. Just quote this post and put "Bet Accept". If he does you have to come back and like this post. Welcome to high stakes fantasy football. :D  

Remember that offenses have an advantage at the start of the season because the NFL doesn't allow defensive players to practice with the team until 10 days before their opening game. It's a fact.
Huh?

Offenses sometimes have advantages over D's as they've been playing vanilla all preseason and for those teams that have installed different offensive packages based on scheme changes or new personnel, opposing D's don't have the tape to gameplan for it.

But defensive players report to camp just like offensive players do from OTAs forward, and have ostensibly been practicing with the team since the beginning of training camp. 

What am I missing?

I'm going to start Cam with confidence. This is great point and how much damage is a Seiman lead offense going to do against that Carolina defense? 

I will make you all a bet; if Cam doesn't score (rushing and/or passing) 3 or more TDs, I will give you a free Like. Just quote this post and put "Bet Accept". If he does you have to come back and like this post. Welcome to high stakes fantasy football. :D  
I'll take that bet! 

(not that I care one way or another - I just like to gamble) :D  

good post.  Shows imagination.

I'll take that bet! 

(not that I care one way or another - I just like to gamble) :D  
Just liked then Unliked. Forgot you need the Broncos D to earn you this like. No is getting any likes from me in this thread. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on point. The NFL Network had SB50 on the other day and those WRs did nothing to help Cam. Just in my sporadic viewing, I saw two really bad drops. Funchess should be improved, Ginn is still there and Benjamin is back. 

From u/ehan2 on Reddit:

Cam Newton against the Denver D worries me. We all saw how that went during the Superbowl. He will be great, but not this week. The entire offense will be slowed down. The recent announcement of more “spread out” playing time amongst the Carolina receivers isn’t exactly inspiring for their outlook either. Kelvin Benjamin is a very risky start. I would feel alright starting Greg Olsen though, his role is clearly defined.

No offense to the OP, but I don't care if Cam has to go against the #1 defense every week......he's my starter for fantasy......every league I own him.

No, I generally never sit my studs. There must be a compelling reason (even a strong gut feeling) to pull any of them.

I think if you drafted Cam you spent a lot on him and he's your every week guy...unless you have a real decent backup option with what looks like a great matchup. (like maybe Eli this week)

Not sure about a guy like Demaryius Thomas this week. He's got the rookie QB, but Carolina also has rookie Corners starting tonight.

Benching CJ Anderson tonight...starting McCoy and Spencer Ware
I'd probably start McCoy/Ware over Anderson anyway. You're still starting your studs, you're just deep enough at RB to not fall off from benching Anderson. 

I think for most folks in this topic the decision is a lot harder. 

If doubtful about this matchup, I'm thinking you shouldn't have drafted him. 
Not sure I agree he shouldn't have been drafted if not willing to be started in this matchup. He's got the rookie QB so it's possible they take a couple weeks to click and Carolina was one of the best D's in the league last season...and, I don't know anything about these rookie corners and if they are ready to play or not.

Benching CJ Anderson tonight...starting McCoy and Spencer Ware
I have Lamar Miller, CJ Anderson, Spencer Ware, and Christine Michael.  Miller and Ware are starting.  CJ's in as my flex for now.  But for CMike - the home game against Miami is so freakin' juicy.  Don't think I have the balls, and CJ did have 90 yards and a TD vs. Carolina in the SB, on a neutral field.  Now they are home. Don't think I can bench him

Not sure about a guy like Demaryius Thomas this week. He's got the rookie QB, but Carolina also has rookie Corners starting tonight.

In the one league I have him in, I am benching DT as well. (as odd as this may sound, its even a start 3WR league)

I have Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins and Randall Cobb, and I am rolling all three out in front of DT this week.

For those that wonder how I got all four of these WRs, it was a 10 teamer, and in the #3 spot I got a RB, then went WR-WR-WR-RB-WR.

Cobb fell to the 6th, so as unlikely as it seems, it does happen here and there.

Generally though, I am not benching DT in most formats.

TZM

I'd probably start McCoy/Ware over Anderson anyway. You're still starting your studs, you're just deep enough at RB to not fall off from benching Anderson. 

I think for most folks in this topic the decision is a lot harder. 
Starting Moncrief over my studs AJ Green (at Revis Island) and Keenan Allen (at KC)

Not sure I agree he shouldn't have been drafted if not willing to be started in this matchup. He's got the rookie QB so it's possible they take a couple weeks to click and Carolina was one of the best D's in the league last season...and, I don't know anything about these rookie corners and if they are ready to play or not.
Fair enough. Sounded like the justification was because of the rookie CBs. I misunderstood. Best of luck. 

In the one league I have him in, I am benching DT as well. (as odd as this may sound, its even a start 3WR league)

I have Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins and Randall Cobb, and I am rolling all three out in front of DT this week.

For those that wonder how I got all four of these WRs, it was a 10 teamer, and in the #3 spot I got a RB, then went WR-WR-WR-RB-WR.

Cobb fell to the 6th, so as unlikely as it seems, it does happen here and there.

Generally though, I am not benching DT in most formats.

TZM
Okay. That's a pretty nice group to choose from. I agree I'd probably roll them out instead too.

Also starting to agree that unless you got other really good choices you start DT this game.

"Don't bench your studs" led me to sit Palmer for Rodgers far too late into last season.

I'd roll Winston this week ahead of Cam.  Like the matchup, don't think the talent gap is unrealistically huge.

"Don't bench your studs" led me to sit Palmer for Rodgers far too late into last season.

I'd roll Winston this week ahead of Cam.  Like the matchup, don't think the talent gap is unrealistically huge.
Winston is gonna make a bortles like leap in production this year.  Don't know how many games they will win but his numbers are gonna be great

Cam

:gulp:
I am with you unfortunately, benched him for Carr but should have known better. Just see a shoutout in the dome this weekend and was scared after the Super Bowl. Never again after this game unless doubtful

JimmyJabroni said:
I think if you drafted Cam you spent a lot on him and he's your every week guy...unless you have a real decent backup option with what looks like a great matchup. (like maybe Eli this week)
this

with half the cowboys in goodells cellar he should at least equal cams 2 td game

This was a recurring theme that Bloom kept hitting in the The Audible Week 1 preview this week.

FWIW, he was not very high on Cam and hitting a moderate tier of fantasy backup caliber QBs he was advising to start over Cam.  IRRC, a combination of the tough D, road game, Thursday night and first game of the season.  

He's not always right, and since we're taking shots none of us are, but the logic seems to have teeth in this case.

Car run D looked soft.  Mostly those corners missing tackles and wrong spacing, but still.  Cj anderson looked good but he had some help

Well, Hot Sauce and Irish, your Likes have begrudgingly been paid out. I thought I was golden going into the half.

It wasn't the 3+ TD night I predicted but but at least it wasn't a complete dud. 

Users who are viewing this thread