What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (4 Viewers)

I just have this feeling (hope) that Lamar Jackson and Kenneth Dixon are going to be THE QB/RB combo to have in 2019. 

Weddle:

He's been great. Obviously you know why we took him," Weddle said. "He's as talented of a player that I've seen coming into my 12th year. 

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said the team is "trying to figure out" how to use first-round QB Lamar Jackson.

Even with Joe Flacco locked into the starting job, Harbaugh said Jackson will be active on game days and involved in the offense. "I sure like him out there helping us," Harbaugh said. "If you put two quarterbacks on the field at once, what options does it create for our offense? That's what we're trying to figure out." If Baltimore really wanted to take advantage of Jackson's talent, they would start him over Flacco.

Source: ESPN 

Jun 12 - 12:28 PM

This is a quote you would expect to see from Cleveland or something. Trade back into rd1 to grab a qb with seemingly no plan

Flacco and Jackson on the field at the same time?  It was my understanding that Jackson would only play QB.  So unless both guys are going to simultaneously take the snap from center (kind of a twist on the read option?), I guess Flacco would line up at....at what exactly?  H Back?  TE?  

This is a quote you would expect to see from Cleveland or something. Trade back into rd1 to grab a qb with seemingly no plan
Yeah they should have a formal plan for both on the field at the same time, and share the entire thing with the media. 

Sounds like another Colin Kaepernick to me. All about the legs. Read, he has trouble outside the hashmarks. NFL will catch up to him.

in 4-6, he might be good but in 6 all the way around with turnover loss, he is still 5th in rookies and way behind IMO. 

Sounds like another Colin Kaepernick to me. All about the legs. Read, he has trouble outside the hashmarks. NFL will catch up to him.

in 4-6, he might be good but in 6 all the way around with turnover loss, he is still 5th in rookies and way behind IMO. 
You obviously haven't seen Jackson play very much in college.  People slept on Watson as well.  I'd much rather have Jackson over the likes of Darnold and probably Rosen as well.

Waldman had him rated as the top pocket passer in the draft. He ran an actual NFL offense in college. 

Wait a minute. Scroll back and read the thread. Maybe this would change your perspective, maybe it won't. But Lamar Jackson ran a Coryell offense in Loisville with Bobby Petrino who has coached QB for the Jaguars and was a head coach of the Falcons. Jackson doesn't need simplified reads to one side of the field. He throws the deep out well. The NFL will be struggling to find answers for him.

Not even close.  I've seen several people make this assumption, and it's very baseless.  If anything, Lamar is like Vick, but arguably faster and more athletic and a better passer.

I just have this feeling (hope) that Lamar Jackson and Kenneth Dixon are going to be THE QB/RB combo to have in 2019. 
Hope you're right.

Like others have said, Jackson could be a star or bust along with the other rookie Qb's. We won't know for awhile but some will prove themselves one way earlier than others.
College isn't The NFL. Mental makeup can make or brake a pro. Hopefully Jackson has IT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think the most important thing with this guy will be him staying healthy. If I was the Ravens I would be working on sliding form and looking at Russell Wilson tape to see how he avoids taking the big hits that catch up with other mobile qbs. Even guys like Mariota and Wentz who are more typical pocket passers get nicked up or worse from taking big hits while scrambling.

I really think the most important thing with this guy will be him staying healthy. If I was the Ravens I would be working on sliding form and looking at Russell Wilson tape to see how he avoids taking the big hits that catch up with other mobile qbs. Even guys like Mariota and Wentz who are more typical pocket passers get nicked up or worse from taking big hits while scrambling.
Did he take a lot of big hits in college?

I always worry about QBs who complete under 60% in college. Accuracy requires touch and touch seems like one of the more difficult skills to learn/improve.

Jackson seems to have amazing skills but he doesn't have Cam Newton's freakish size (or even McNabb, McNair size) and relying on Vick/RGIII like quicks/speed at the QB position seems risky.

Hoping for Vick seems nice but he had maybe three top finishes in 13 seasons and played 16 games once (15 games 3 x). Defend him however you want but he was ultimately more sizzle than substance.

I would love to see Jackson become the next Steve Young but he has a lot to overcome.

I always worry about QBs who complete under 60% in college. Accuracy requires touch and touch seems like one of the more difficult skills to learn/improve.

Jackson seems to have amazing skills but he doesn't have Cam Newton's freakish size (or even McNabb, McNair size) and relying on Vick/RGIII like quicks/speed at the QB position seems risky.

Hoping for Vick seems nice but he had maybe three top finishes in 13 seasons and played 16 games once (15 games 3 x). Defend him however you want but he was ultimately more sizzle than substance.

I would love to see Jackson become the next Steve Young but he has a lot to overcome.
If he is like RG3 or Vick, it won't be a stable career but the peaks will make him worth the investment. Jackson had more rushing yards than Saquon Barkley last year- if he is smart about protecting himself, he has the potential to run for 1000 yards in a season. 

If he is like RG3 or Vick, it won't be a stable career but the peaks will make him worth the investment. Jackson had more rushing yards than Saquon Barkley last year- if he is smart about protecting himself, he has the potential to run for 1000 yards in a season. 
Yup but he's got a slight frame, which doesn't make that level of action seem sustainable. Kids gotta stay behind the LoS as much as possible.

Yup but he's got a slight frame, which doesn't make that level of action seem sustainable. Kids gotta stay behind the LoS as much as possible.
He just has to be smart about when to run, getting out of bounds, sliding, etc. Once he is in the open field, he is going to be very dangerous anf the QB run is the most successful play in football. 

the QB run is the most successful play in football. 
This is not really true. If it was, teams with QBs with running ability would call a lot of QB runs. But they don’t do that, because it is inevitable that doing so will result in injury to the QB. 

This is not really true. If it was, teams with QBs with running ability would call a lot of QB runs. But they don’t do that, because it is inevitable that doing so will result in injury to the QB. 
Many of the QB runs aren’t planned, they come when the play breaks down. However, mathematically the QB run is the most successful play in football- a podcast (JJ Zacharison I believe) broke it down and that was surprising to me. 

Many of the QB runs aren’t planned, they come when the play breaks down. However, mathematically the QB run is the most successful play in football- a podcast (JJ Zacharison I believe) broke it down and that was surprising to me. 

That doesn’t surprise me.  The D is scattered in coverage responsibilities and the running lanes are wide open.  Not only that, but the QB gets to evaluate the field and choose whether to run or pick another option like throwing the ball out of bounds.  It’s an optimal running situation.  RBs don’t get that option when they run the ball. 

Ravens OC Marty Mornhinweg said after Sunday's training camp practice that first-round pick Lamar Jackson is "way ahead of the curve."

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley wrote that Jackson has shown "accelerated improvement" in his quest to start camp fast. "He's done an outstanding job up to date," said Mornhinweg. "He's way ahead of the curve now." Jackson got experience with pro-style concepts under Bobby Petrino at Louisville, and in Mornhinweg (Michael Vick) and assistant HC Greg Roman (Colin Kaepernick, Tyrod Taylor), the Ravens have two coaches on staff with extensive backgrounds working with dual-threat quarterbacks. Per Hensley, Jackson has already passed Robert Griffin III on the depth chart behind Joe Flacco.

Source: Jamison Hensley on Twitter 

Jul 22 - 3:01 PM

I’m starting to consider Lamar over Mayfield in Dynasty.

Tex
Classical case of overanalyzing during the draft season. Even Vince Young and Tim Tebow had some nice fantasy stretches. If Lamar Jackson was named the starter tomorrow I think most would be hard pressed not to start him on his rushing prowess alone in week 1. Can’t believe how far he was falling just after the draft. Now Mayfield v Lamar long term, I think I still want Mayfield but that instant gratification with Jackson, I definitely get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I drafted Lamar over Mayfield a few weeks ago. Took him at 2.04.
I just went ahead and drafted them both. I wanted Lamar for sure so traded back from 1.10 to 2.3 to take him. Then grabbed Mayfield with my 2.10. It was coinflip between Mayfield and Rosen for me. I kind of with I went Rosen now since he's safer than Mayfield, and Lamar is my high upside risk guy. But I guess that's a different thread.... Go Lamar! 

Ravens coach John Harbaugh says first-rounder Lamar Jackson will play "one way or another."

"One way or another, he’s going to be out there, taking snaps," were Harbaugh's exact words. The Ravens have talked of using Jackson as an offensive weapon-type, but Harbaugh insists he will get reps at quarterback. "Lamar is also a weapon for us. ... And we’re going to play Lamar at quarterback." Harbaugh also keeps insisting that Joe Flacco remains the starter, but it's clear the countdown clock has been started. Jackson is going to be a fantasy wild card at the quarterback position.

Source: Toronto Sun 

Jul 24 - 6:18 PM

Users who are viewing this thread