Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
spider321

Dynasty Value Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

Where do people put Aaron Jones value

I had him at RB14, then all the news broke about how Jones isn't fit for a full workload and there is a time share in that backfield and then I started putting rookies in my dynasty rankings which changes that landscape a lot.  I have dropped him down to RB20 for the time being but there is a lot to still be cleared up in those.  I think he rivals most of the RB's this year though in terms of rookie picks.  

17 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

I actually see him as a buy low right now.  I don't put a lot of stock in coachspeak at this juncture.  He is a far superior talent to Williams and I believe that will win out.  I would try and target him and see if the owner is willing to sell for pennies after this news. 

18 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

I'm not as high on him as some. He is only my 21st ranked RB, and that does not include this incoming class.

I'm sure he will outperform many guys taken in round 1 off rookie drafts but I'd take my chances with any first round pick. I'd start considering him at about 2.02/2.03 but I doubt his owners would move him for that (and I can't really say they're wrong taking that stance).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zyphros said:

I had him at RB14, then all the news broke about how Jones isn't fit for a full workload and there is a time share in that backfield and then I started putting rookies in my dynasty rankings which changes that landscape a lot.  I have dropped him down to RB20 for the time being but there is a lot to still be cleared up in those.  I think he rivals most of the RB's this year though in terms of rookie picks.  

Not really news so much as the summation of his career thus far.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I'm not as high on him as some. He is only my 21st ranked RB, and that does not include this incoming class.

I'm sure he will outperform many guys taken in round 1 off rookie drafts but I'd take my chances with any first round pick. I'd start considering him at about 2.02/2.03 but I doubt his owners would move him for that (and I can't really say they're wrong taking that stance).

To me he's a guy who will either have tremendously more or less value next offseason.  Either he grabs hold of the backfield and his value benefits from the strong season that would require, or he loses value by failing to do so.  This time next year he's either a top 10 RB or a JAG.  I'm betting JAG.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gally said:

I actually see him as a buy low right now.  I don't put a lot of stock in coachspeak at this juncture.  He is a far superior talent to Williams and I believe that will win out.  I would try and target him and see if the owner is willing to sell for pennies after this news. 

This is where I'm at. 

Posted (edited)

Curious - for people playing in superflex leagues. How do you value the very good QBs? 

I'd think Mahomes is up there with Barkley, but what value do you place on the next tier of QB like Rodgers, luck, Wentz, Wilson, etc? 

I'm lucky enough to have 3 QBs I like a lot (Goff, Wentz, Mayfield) but really need a wr1.  Would asking for a guy like Hopkins be outlandish? What about juju or Adams?  Trying to not make this an assistant coach post...

Edited by -OZ-

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Curious - for people playing in superflex leagues. How do you value the very good QBs? 

I'd think Mahomes is up there with Barkley, but what value do you place on the next tier of QB like Rodgers, luck, Wentz, Wilson, etc? 

I'm lucky enough to have 3 QBs I like a lot (Goff, Wentz, Mayfield) but really need a wr1.  Would asking for a guy like Hopkins be outlandish? What about juju or Adams?  Trying to not make this an assistant coach post...

Personally I think elite QBs are overrated in SF.  I don't see why everyone goes so nuts over them.

SF just means you want to make very very sure you're always starting a QB in your SF spot.  So in that sense all you really need is guys who are good enough to be long term starters.  I'd rather pay a good amount for guys like Ryan/Stafford than give up Barkley/Hopkins type value to get the Lucks and Wentz's of the world.

Edited by FreeBaGeL

1 hour ago, -OZ- said:

Personally, I don’t own any of those three guys in my SF leagues and won’t. So I certainly wound the be giving up top-end WR talent to acquire them. 

I think only Mahomes would be able to get one of those guys, maybe Luck to the right owner. 

1 hour ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Personally I think elite QBs are overrated in dynasty.  I don't see why everyone goes so nuts over them.

SF just means you want to make very very sure you're always starting a QB in your SF spot.  So in that sense all you really need is guys who are good enough to be long term starters.  I'd rather pay a good amount for guys like Ryan/Stafford than give up Barkley/Hopkins type value to get the Lucks and Wentz's of the world.

I kind of get your points, although the great thing about a truly elite QB is they tend to stay elite a lot longer than the running backs or even receivers.  Your point about getting the lesser franchise QBs is sound, those guys keep jobs at least and don't cost as much. 

But when you say you'd pay a good amount for Ryan, what does that mean? Top 10 receiver? A couple first round picks? 

31 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

Personally, I don’t own any of those three guys in my SF leagues and won’t. So I certainly wound the be giving up top-end WR talent to acquire them. 

I think only Mahomes would be able to get one of those guys, maybe Luck to the right owner. 

Gotcha, but the question remains of what they're actually worth. 

To be totally open, I offered Wentz for Mike Evans. Rejected. He's offered a different top 20 WR, whom I do like enough but he's older than I prefer this team to be. I think it might be a fair offer but I don't love it. 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

I kind of get your points, although the great thing about a truly elite QB is they tend to stay elite a lot longer than the running backs or even receivers.  Your point about getting the lesser franchise QBs is sound, those guys keep jobs at least and don't cost as much. 

But when you say you'd pay a good amount for Ryan, what does that mean? Top 10 receiver? A couple first round picks? 

I always think in startup terms.  I'd rather spend my 3rd/4th on Ryan/Stafford than spend my 1st/2nd on Luck/Wentz.

I've never been in the position of needing to trade for a QB in SF so it's hard to say what I'd spend.  In my only SF I grabbed the lower end franchise QBs in rounds 3/4 as described above (though back then one of those was Wilson when he was more of a game manager) and I typically end up selling young QBs (most recently Darnold/Guice/1.07 for Gurley/2020 1st) and just rolling with those steady guys while trying to be really strong elsewhere.  For instance in that league I'll be rolling out Barkley/Gurley/Chubb as my RBs and still have Dalton/Foles to fall back on as my QB3/QB4.

My SF strategy is really simple.

1) Get a couple career starters at QB that aren't necessarily elite
2) Buy future draft picks
3) Draft young QBs with those draft picks
4) Trade young QBs for studs elsewhere when they flash a little bit and end up with stud skill position players alongside your old dependable QBs

Mix that in with nabbing up backup QBs with potential and you can really load up.  Darnold/Garoppolo basically loaded up my team in that league and I'd much rather have Barkley/Gurley anchoring my RBs than those two anchoring my QBs.

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

I always think in startup terms.  I'd rather spend my 3rd/4th on Ryan/Stafford than spend my 1st/2nd on Luck/Wentz.

I've never been in the position of needing to trade for a QB in SF so it's hard to say what I'd spend.  In my only SF I grabbed the lower end franchise QBs in rounds 3/4 as described above (though back then one of those was Wilson when he was more of a game manager) and I typically end up selling young QBs (most recently Darnold/Guice/1.07 for Gurley/2020 1st) and just rolling with those steady guys while trying to be really strong elsewhere.  For instance in that league I'll be rolling out Barkley/Gurley/Chubb as my RBs and still have Dalton/Foles to fall back on as my QB3/QB4.

My SF strategy is really simple.

1) Get a couple career starters at QB that aren't necessarily elite
2) Buy future draft picks
3) Draft young QBs with those draft picks
4) Trade young QBs for studs elsewhere when they flash a little bit and end up with stud skill position players alongside your old dependable QBs

Mix that in with nabbing up backup QBs with potential and you can really load up.  Darnold/Garoppolo basically loaded up my team in that league and I'd much rather have Barkley/Gurley anchoring my RBs than those two anchoring my QBs.

Makes sense. 

And you sort of answered the question when you were basically able to get Gurley for Darnold and Guice.

Fwiw, I was offered Guice for my 1.03, I rejected mostly because I want to see where a few players fall but might reconsider. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Fwiw, I was offered Guice for my 1.03, I rejected mostly because I want to see where a few players fall but might reconsider. 

Unless the perfect player falls into the perfect situation, I would say that Guice is worth at least 1.01 and 1.06-ish in this draft.

Edited by tangfoot
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

Unless the perfect player falls into the perfect situation, I would say that Guice is worth at least 1.01 and 1.06-ish in this draft.

Off injury, in super flex? Normal leagues you might argue he's equal to the 1 this year but I wouldn't give that much. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Off injury, in super flex? Normal leagues you might argue he's equal to the 1 this year but I wouldn't give that much. 

He would pretty easily be the best-rated RB in this draft class, and by a decent margin. This QB class is also the worst in years, so it being a SF draft has no bearing to me 

• Like 2

What type of WR or RB would you all want for the 1.01 rookie pick this year? Trying to gauge its value and everyone keeps saying it’s a down year for talent at the top. How far down is it?

1 hour ago, Gandalf said:

What type of WR or RB would you all want for the 1.01 rookie pick this year? Trying to gauge its value and everyone keeps saying it’s a down year for talent at the top. How far down is it?

Really good question. I have the 1 in only one league, where I'm certainly willing to trade it. Last year I actually traded Brandon Cooks and Kareem Hunt for the 1 (nice deal in hindsight), this year you probably wouldn't get half that value. although that actually sounds like a reasonable deal this year. (with Hunt's value through the floor). 

• Like 1

Rb 15 to 20

• Like 1

ADP 30ish I'd say.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gandalf said:

This is a great question to consider as the focus towards the draft process begins to become more clear. Obviously, every owners individual team situation, league scoring, etc... have an impact. I'm going to treat this question as if I was in a start up dynasty draft. To me, there is no uber stud in this class and draft landing spots do make a difference. In addition, there inevitably will be at least a couple of prospects that get the "shiny new toy antenna" up as the draft draws near, thus inflating actual value. With my personal bias claims out in the open, here's how I would unpack this question:

Group #1 (Players I, under no circumstances would deal for the 1.01)

1. Zeke

2. Saquon

3. Gurley

4. CMC

5. Kamara

6. Gordon

7. Connor

8. David Johnson

9. Mixon

10. Chubb

11. Bell

12. Dalvin Cook

13. Hopkins

14. Adams

15. Julio

16. M. Thomas

17. Odell

18. T. Hill\

19. JuJu

20. Evans

21. Amari Cooper

22. Mahomes

23.  Kelce

So, as of this writing, with all the available information, the best I would offer for the 1.01 is pick #24 overall in a start up.

Group #2 (Players that I value similarly to pick 1.01- thus, depending on my team and other information that may emerge, would consider dealing away for 1.01).

24. Fournette

25. Michel

26. Lindsay

27. A. Jones

28. Rodgers

29. Luck

30. A. Brown

31. TY Hilton

32. AJ Green

33. Diggs

34. Thielen

Any player nor on the above list, at this point, I would deal straight up for 1.01

Examples- B. Cooks, D. Watson, M. Mack, K. Johnson

So, in my humble opinion, minus any mistakes I have made in quickly dissecting this list, the value of 1.01 would be anywhere between pick #24 and pick #35. Would love to hear the perspective of others.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, -OZ- said:

I was offered Guice for my 1.03, I rejected mostly because I want to see where a few players fall but might reconsider. 

If we threw Guice back into the rookie pool he would be my 1.01 pick no matter where any of the rookie RBs end up. He’s just better than any of them imo.

• Like 2

A lot of people have short term memory. Guice is going to be a monster in DC. He runs hard, he runs fast, and when the Skins have all their line healthy, it really is one of the better units in the league. They made 67 year old AP look pretty damn good last year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

A lot of people have short term memory. Guice is going to be a monster in DC. He runs hard, he runs fast, and when the Skins have all their line healthy, it really is one of the better units in the league. They made 67 year old AP look pretty damn good last year. 

Which is pretty much never.  

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Just now, skinfanjon said:

Which is pretty much never.  

And even with all the injuries they had, look what AP did last year. And pretty sure Washington had one of the most injured teams (as far as total number of players on IR) in the entire league. And we still had a 67 year old 1000 yard rusher. 

10 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

And even with all the injuries they had, look what AP did last year. And pretty sure Washington had one of the most injured teams (as far as total number of players on IR) in the entire league. And we still had a 67 year old 1000 yard rusher. 

In fairness, that elderly gentleman is one of the all time greats. 

Maybe Guice can come close to that production (most likely not AD's Viking years)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

If we threw Guice back into the rookie pool he would be my 1.01 pick no matter where any of the rookie RBs end up. He’s just better than any of them imo.

I'd be 50/50 on that right now, but I can't outwardly dismiss that claim out of hand. I know talent purists would pushback on this but I feel landing spot matters more than usual this year. There are no elite RBs from a purely physical standpoint (we've been spoiled with Zeke and SB) , so if KC uses an early pick on RB, I'd take that player over Guice. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

In fairness, that elderly gentleman is one of the all time greats. 

Maybe Guice can come close to that production (most likely not AD's Viking years)

13 minutes ago, ffmail4me said:

We've been one of the most injured teams three years running.  It's no longer bad luck.  

I'm a big Guice fan, but we are going to be quite bad the next two seasons.  Not sure he's going to have a chance to put up big numbers, particularly if Thompson manages to play a few games per season and eat at his receptions.

On 3/1/2019 at 3:49 PM, -OZ- said:

I think these guys are all in the same tier. Or at least pretty damn close. It should be more like Hopkins or Evans/Diggs. Damn tempted to take Adams as first WR off the board this year. 

Hadn't seen any deals lately for either player so I wanted to post some thoughts on a trade I got this morning.  

Had an offer in my inbox, his Doug Baldwin for my Ronald Jones.  Now I'm not a big RoJo fan anymore and although his value has plummeted I seriously considered taking the offer, but I feel like the chance that RoJo doesn't get torpedo'd by the NFL draft is what I'd rather take than an oft injured 30 year old WR.  Those guys just have so little value in FFPC where roster spots are important.  Same with RoJo who might be a cut of mine when we drop to 16 but at least the upside is there if I do end up keeping him.  

2 hours ago, Zyphros said:

Hadn't seen any deals lately for either player so I wanted to post some thoughts on a trade I got this morning.  

Had an offer in my inbox, his Doug Baldwin for my Ronald Jones.  Now I'm not a big RoJo fan anymore and although his value has plummeted I seriously considered taking the offer, but I feel like the chance that RoJo doesn't get torpedo'd by the NFL draft is what I'd rather take than an oft injured 30 year old WR.  Those guys just have so little value in FFPC where roster spots are important.  Same with RoJo who might be a cut of mine when we drop to 16 but at least the upside is there if I do end up keeping him.  

My experience is people who invested a decent pick last year in RoJo don't want to lose by selling for a lot less. I've tried scooping him up in a couple leagues as a moon-shot.  non-RoJo owners won't pay much for the very reason you described: the risk.

I agree with holding him vs Baldwin. If he does pan out, the payoff is much greater (production, trade value) than Baldwin, IMO. Worth the risk.

On 3/1/2019 at 3:49 PM, -OZ- said:

I'm lucky enough to have 3 QBs I like a lot (Goff, Wentz, Mayfield) but really need a wr1.  Would asking for a guy like Hopkins be outlandish? What about juju or Adams?

I play in one 10 team non-PPR SF league. For me in that league: Hopkins > Wentz > Mayfield > Juju > Goff > Adams.

I don't own any of those players other than Juju in that league, and I would trade him for Wentz or Mayfield without a second thought.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

I play in one 10 team non-PPR SF league. For me in that league: Hopkins > Wentz > Mayfield > Juju > Goff > Adams.

I don't own any of those players other than Juju in that league, and I would trade him for Wentz or Mayfield without a second thought.

I had been offered thielen and St brown (I'm actually fairly big on him) for Wentz. I ended up getting thielen and St brown for the 5, 13 and 22. 

Now I considered trading Wentz for Mariota, DJ Moore and a first, other guy offered a second, I don't think that's enough.

1 hour ago, Just Win Baby said:

I would not value QBs that high in a 10-team league. 14- or 16-team, sure. There’s a lot of QBs you can roster that are far cheaper and I would say that only Mahomes is worth more than Juju in such a small league size. 

13 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

I would not value QBs that high in a 10-team league. 14- or 16-team, sure. There’s a lot of QBs you can roster that are far cheaper and I would say that only Mahomes is worth more than Juju in such a small league size. 

I made the comment about my specific league.

• It is non-PPR, with 0.5 points per first down rushing/receiving. That devalues WRs and TEs.
  • Passing TDs are worth 6 points. That increases QB value.
  • The starting lineup requirement is 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1K, 1DST, 1SF (Q/R/W/T), and 2F (R/W/T). It is typical that each team starts 2-3 WRs most weeks... so less than 30 WRs start most weeks.
  • Roster size is 22. Currently rostered: 42 QBs, 62 RBs, 67 WRs, 21 TEs, 10 Ks, 16 DSTs (yes, 1 owner has 2 open roster spots). There are no useful QBs on the waiver wire, but with just 67 WRs rostered, there are always WRs available.

Last season in that league:

• 16 of the top 17 ppg scorers were QBs (Gurley was #4).
  • The top ppg WR was Hill, who was #36 overall in ppg. Juju was WR10 and #65 overall.

Lineup requirements, scoring system, and owner tendencies matter. :shrug:  

Has anyone tried to acquire WR Christian Kirk? If so, what’s the general asking price in FFPC? I have GM’s telling me they value him more than 1.1. 

38 minutes ago, Tejas said:

Has anyone tried to acquire WR Christian Kirk? If so, what’s the general asking price in FFPC? I have GM’s telling me they value him more than 1.1. 

I own him in a few leagues and he's a definite hold, but that's silly talk to pass on the 1.1 if someone offered it for him. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

I made the comment about my specific league.

• It is non-PPR, with 0.5 points per first down rushing/receiving. That devalues WRs and TEs.
  • Passing TDs are worth 6 points. That increases QB value.
  • The starting lineup requirement is 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1K, 1DST, 1SF (Q/R/W/T), and 2F (R/W/T). It is typical that each team starts 2-3 WRs most weeks... so less than 30 WRs start most weeks.
  • Roster size is 22. Currently rostered: 42 QBs, 62 RBs, 67 WRs, 21 TEs, 10 Ks, 16 DSTs (yes, 1 owner has 2 open roster spots). There are no useful QBs on the waiver wire, but with just 67 WRs rostered, there are always WRs available.

Last season in that league:

• 16 of the top 17 ppg scorers were QBs (Gurley was #4).
  • The top ppg WR was Hill, who was #36 overall in ppg. Juju was WR10 and #65 overall.

Lineup requirements, scoring system, and owner tendencies matter. :shrug:  

You’re at FBG, so clearly you have heard of VBD.  Just because you have a high number of QBs at the top of your scoring system does not mean that they are necessarily valuable in relation to other positions. 

Basically what you are telling me is that there is not a ton of value between say, QB4 and QB16, so why pay premium prices for them?

Edited by tangfoot
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

You’re at FBG, so clearly you have heard of VBD.  Just because you have a high number of QBs at the top of your scoring system does not mean that they are necessarily valuable in relation to other positions. 

Basically what you are telling me is that there is not a ton of value between say, QB4 and QB16, so why pay premium prices for them?

You make a lot of assumptions about leagues you aren't familiar with. Here are some QB and WR spreads from 2018:

• QB4 (Luck) - QB16 (Mayfield): difference of 3.96 ppg
  • WR4 (Hopkins) - WR20 (Allen): difference of 3.93 ppg

Please explain VBD to me as it relates to these spreads. :popcorn: 

On 2/28/2019 at 3:23 PM, Dr. Dan said:

PPR trade

Aaron Jones and Clement 

for

Kareem Hunt and Coutee

3 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

You make a lot of assumptions about leagues you aren't familiar with. Here are some QB and WR spreads from 2018:

• QB4 (Luck) - QB16 (Mayfield): difference of 3.96 ppg
  • WR4 (Hopkins) - WR20 (Allen): difference of 3.93 ppg

Please explain VBD to me as it relates to these spreads. :popcorn: 

You’re saying that Mayfield/Hopkins scores the same as Luck/Allen. 

You just proved that juju is worth far more than Wentz. 

3 hours ago, Tejas said:

Here are some actual FFPC deals, all after 2/2:

Kirk, 2.07, 2.08 for Landry 

Kirk, Pettis, 1.09 for Allen

Kirk, 1.08, 4.10 for C. Ridey, 3.07

Kirk for John Brown,Godwin, 5.03

Kirk, 1.05 for Hilton, 2.08

Kirk for Chris Carson, Randall Cobb

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Leroy's Aces said:

PPR trade

Aaron Jones and Clement 

for

Kareem Hunt and Coutee

That doesn't exactly help cement Aaron Jones' value since Hunt is probably seen from anywhere between a 5th round startup pick to a 15 round startup pick, just depending on who you ask.  

5 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

That doesn't exactly help cement Aaron Jones' value since Hunt is probably seen from anywhere between a 5th round startup pick to a 15 round startup pick, just depending on who you ask.  

Here are 5 more, all FFPC in Feb.

A. Jones for Godwin, 2020 2nd and 3rd

A. Jones for Tevin Coleman, Ebron

A. Jones, 4.04 for Mack, James Washington

A. Jones, Robert Woods for Chubb, Samuel

A. Jones, 2019 1st for Kittle, 2019 2nd.

Is that better?

14 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

Honestly if someone thinks he's only worth a 15 round startup they are not worth asking.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

You’re saying that Mayfield/Hopkins scores the same as Luck/Allen. 

You just proved that juju is worth far more than Wentz. 

Not true at all. In 2017 when healthy, Wentz was #2 in the league, scoring 27.7 ppg. Juju's best season was 2018, when he was WR #10 and #65 overall, scoring 13.8 ppg. Wentz is about 4 years older, but plays a position where elite players play well for 5+ years longer than at Juju's position.

Try again.

On 3/3/2019 at 7:41 PM, ffmail4me said:

I own him in a few leagues and he's a definite hold, but that's silly talk to pass on the 1.1 if someone offered it for him. 

Yeah, that's crazy imo.

I am considering trading the 1 for Kirk and the 1.04, that seems much more in line with reality

• Like 1

In one of my FFPC leagues, an owner sent out a message saying Gurley and Melvin Gordon are available.  An hour later, another owner offered him his 2020 1st for Gurley, Kenyan Drake and a 4th.  20 minutes after that the trade was reversed by the commissioner (for good reason).  

But it got me wondering what Gurley's value actually is.  Do people still view him as a top5 dynasty RB with his knee questions and likely decreased workload?  At worst he's a top10 dynasty RB right?  So what is the right price.  Might be a good time to buy him.  

12 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

In one of my FFPC leagues, an owner sent out a message saying Gurley and Melvin Gordon are available.  An hour later, another owner offered him his 2020 1st for Gurley, Kenyan Drake and a 4th.  20 minutes after that the trade was reversed by the commissioner (for good reason).  

But it got me wondering what Gurley's value actually is.  Do people still view him as a top5 dynasty RB with his knee questions and likely decreased workload?  At worst he's a top10 dynasty RB right?  So what is the right price.  Might be a good time to buy him.  

What was the good reason?  I wouldn't have made the trade to move Gurley in that deal but it doesn't appear to be collusion. 

2 minutes ago, Gally said:

What was the good reason?  I wouldn't have made the trade to move Gurley in that deal but it doesn't appear to be collusion. 

a 1st for Drake/Gurley and a 4th is insanely light I would think.  Especially when his post about Gurley/Gordon for sale include he wants "a 1st and a young stud RB".  

3 minutes ago, Gally said:

A future 1st for Gurley, Drake, and a 4th doesn’t appear to be collusion?