What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Value Discussion Thread (8 Viewers)

Snorkelson said:
I agree with your point. Its not a top heavy draft, but it’s deep imo.
It's not just that.  It's that i don't have any confidence that any of these guys will be a "sure starter". If you told me that the big slot receiver ended up being a wr2/3 type, I wouldn't be shocked.  If you told me the big fast guy who is a sucky route runner was another Kevin white, cordarrelle Patterson style bust, i wouldn't be shocked.  If you told me that the 3 down running back with a limited track record and mediocre athletic skills ended up being paul perkins, i'm still not shocked.  

That's what makes me say this class sucks. It's not the lack of a sure fire uber stud, it's the lack of anyone i feel confident about. It's all guys with warts but upside. 

FreeBaGeL said:
Fwiw David Johnson is 27, not 26. He will be turning 28 during this year's season. 
He will turn 28 after the fantasy regular season is over. If he was 1 week younger would this be his age 28 season?  Two weeks?  What's the cut off?

bostonfred said:
It's like the 2016 draft without Elliott.  The top receivers - doctson, treadwell, Coleman - all had warts but that draft also had Michael thomas, tyreek hill, Tyler boyd, Derrick Henry, Jordan Howard, Kenyan drake. hunter henry, and some ok producers like fuller and shepherd. Everyone talked about how terrible that draft was but it produced 3 elite guys and a bunch of starters. 
It's a lot like 2016 but if I was picking a year I'd have gone with 2013, the Bell draft.

That draft gave us zero first round RB's but 5 in round two. I don't think we see 5 RB's off the board by end of round two this year but if we look at picks instead of round I think it will be close because most of those RB's went late round two with Lacy and Michel the last two picks . So it won't be a lot of different to me then what I anticipate as a lot of early to mid third round RB's this draft in a draft far superior on the defensive side which is going to contribute to pushing RB's back.  The big similarity to me on that RB draft and this one is that RB value was heavily dictated by landing spot with Bell taking a massive leap post-draft. Out of those 5 RB's that went in round two a clear cut Big 4 emerged and that's the only draft I can recall since I've been doing dynasty that the first pick in a lot of drafts was a player not chosen in round one of the NFL draft.

At WR we had a gadget buy in Tavon go at pick 8 and then not another WR until Hopkins in late 20's with Patterson bringing total of first round WR's to 3. I expect something similar this year, just not one as high as 8.

TE was super interesting that year. It was thought to be solid and that's how it was viewed when we drafting but it turns out to possibly be in a top 3 All Time TE class. That draft gave us Eifert, Ertz, Kelce and Jordan Reed but at time we were drafting, even in TE premium FFPC, Eifert was the only first round lock. I drafted Reed and Kelce both that season in round 3.

That 2013 draft was so bad that Lacy, who was two picks from a third round guy, was a lot of people's 1.1 after the draft and one of things keeping him from being closer to a consensus 1.1 was that the Packers also drafted Johnathan Franklin whose ADP was around 10. 

Another huge similarity to this year's draft vs the 2013 is that we knew it was weak looking before the NFL draft and after the NFL draft most people had 9-10 players they felt were worth a first round pick. I had 8.  The Big 4 RB's I mentioned, Eifert, and the first round WR's (Tavon, Hop, Cordarelle).  I recall having a few picks in the 10-11 range this year and in those leagues those top 8 were gone so similar to this year it was a bunch of teams trying to move out of late 1's for 2014 #1's which looked like a much stronger draft. Some here always say "the next draft always looks better" and that 2014 draft was the All-Time WR draft so it was better.  I recall doing a trade where I gave up pick 10 PLUS a few third round picks for a 2014#1. 

Now here is the good news. That draft was not considered strong but it gave us Bell, Hopkins, Keenan Allen and the TE's and maybe I'm probably forgetting someone. What is also encouraging is that I did a FFPC startup the next year and Bell, Gio, Ball, Lacy and Cordarelle all were gone by round end of round two so a weak draft provided us 5 players who were first two round startups the next season and none of them were Kelce(who missed the season), Ertz, Eifert, Allen or Hopkins.

Very long winded message by me  but trying to make two points. This draft , at least in round one, looks very similar to me to the super weak looking 2013 draft. But like the 2013 draft there will be diamonds to be found here, just harder then most years IMO identifying it.

wondering what kind of value you guys put on this year's 1.1 rookie pick. Let's for arguments sake say you had all picks from 1.6 - 1.12, what combo of picks would you be willing to trade to move up to 1.1??

wondering what kind of value you guys put on this year's 1.1 rookie pick. Let's for arguments sake say you had all picks from 1.6 - 1.12, what combo of picks would you be willing to trade to move up to 1.1??
according to DTC. 1.6 and 1.12 are equal value to 1.1

I certainly would not trade 1.1 for that. And I probably wouldnt entertain any trade if 1.6 was the highest I could get. 1.4 and 1.10 would probably be my price, and it's too much 

ETA: You're question was would I pay this to move up, absolutely. 1.6 and 1.12, 1.7 and 1.11 or, 1.8 and 1.10.

I'd honestly try to pay less and move up to 1.2 or 1.3 myself 

Last edited by a moderator:
according to DTC. 1.6 and 1.12 are equal value to 1.1

I certainly would not trade 1.1 for that. And I probably wouldnt entertain any trade if 1.6 was the highest I could get. 1.4 and 1.10 would probably be my price, and it's too much 

ETA: You're question was would I pay this to move up, absolutely. 1.6 and 1.12, 1.7 and 1.11 or, 1.8 and 1.10.

I'd honestly try to pay less and move up to 1.2 or 1.3 myself 
I have the 1.1 in an upcoming draft and the post made me look at my league. The only other team with more than 1 pick in the first round has the 1.6 and 1.9 picks, and I didn't think that was enough to even offer the 1.1 for those 2 picks, personally. We'll see if, after the NFL draft, I hate the land spots for all of the "top" consensus rookies, maybe 1.6 + 1.9 would be something I'd consider.

I traded the 1.01 for the 1.05, 2.02 and 2020 2nd (probably late) recently in a FFPC league.    It feels light and I may regret it but I don't think I could have gotten better than that.

I have the 1.1 in an upcoming draft and the post made me look at my league. The only other team with more than 1 pick in the first round has the 1.6 and 1.9 picks, and I didn't think that was enough to even offer the 1.1 for those 2 picks, personally. We'll see if, after the NFL draft, I hate the land spots for all of the "top" consensus rookies, maybe 1.6 + 1.9 would be something I'd consider.
I have 1.3, 1.7, 1.9, 2.2 currently in one 12 manleague and 1.1, 1.9, 1.10, 2.1 in another 14 teamer

I see 1.6-1.9 to be kind of an undesirable slot. You also have WRs like Harmon and M Brown... both I have zero interest in. Too early to draft the guys I do like, but may as well. You could land a nice rb at 1.6, although I am toying with the idea of bailing on RBs until round 2. maybe a wr or te at 1.9. Maybe Isabella.

could be worth it but probably not enough for me. I'm only interested in a select group of wrs this draft, and most of them at this point are likely to go in the top 4-5, or picks 11-14. 

I traded the 1.01 for the 1.05, 2.02 and 2020 2nd (probably late) recently in a FFPC league.    It feels light and I may regret it but I don't think I could have gotten better than that.
Depends what goes above you. If someone bites on Butler you'll have a good wr waiting for you, probably the guy I'm planning on taking 1.1. That's how I'm looking at this: who would I personally take 1.1 and how far could he fall... he could fall to 1.5, although I doubt it. Although my back plan may slip that far...

Curious to others thoughts between Kupp and Golladay. Been going back and forth in one of my PPR leagues and I’m arguing Kupp has been far more productive when on the field, and I’d say his QB and offense is trending up where Stafford is going the other direction. Am I wrong here or do others feel the same way? 

Curious to others thoughts between Kupp and Golladay. Been going back and forth in one of my PPR leagues and I’m arguing Kupp has been far more productive when on the field, and I’d say his QB and offense is trending up where Stafford is going the other direction. Am I wrong here or do others feel the same way? 
I’d take Golladay. Just think he has #1 WR traits.

Kupp has some nice production to date. He’s the safer guy imo. Will the offense be impacted if gurley is limited? Probably not. Golladay gets targets and seems like the #1 there and I think could beast if stafford wasn’t throwing from his back, but they need to address their pass pro.

Speaking of the 2013 draft I remember having the 1.01 pick and trading it away for Cruz and half the league wanted to quit the league because I "ripped off" the other guy so bad.

Also I offered a guy the pick 1.06 in that draft for Kaepernick.  He laughed at me said "this draft sucks I wouldn't give you Kaepernick for 5 1st round picks in this draft even if they were 1,2,3,4,5.  True story.  I picked Hopkins at 1.06.

I take Golladay rather easily if we're considering straight up value to value.  Kupp has the production for sure, and now he also has the injury history now.  Golladay is probably a hair riskier but there's a good enough floor for me to take that gamble.  That whole Lions offense should take a step forwards, while I believe the Rams will take a step backwards now that teams saw the Patriots figure them out a little.  

They are both sells for me at their current value.  If forced to pick one and keep him I'd take Golladay by a nose, but I think he's pretty much hit his ceiling on that Lions team.  Kupp is a guy everyone seems to be enamored with in my leagues so I would suspect he can be moved fairly easily.  I'd probably look for a lower tier player I like plus a 1st in return.  

I like both Golloday and Kupp very much, for many of the same reasons as posted above. Last year mid-season I gave up this years 1st (ends up 1.10 of 12) for Golloday. Currently trying to move my 2019 2nd (2.10/22) and my 2020 2nd for Kupp. I've got the owner on the hook, it just requires a little more patience.

I like both Golloday and Kupp very much, for many of the same reasons as posted above. Last year mid-season I gave up this years 1st (ends up 1.10 of 12) for Golloday. Currently trying to move my 2019 2nd (2.10/22) and my 2020 2nd for Kupp. I've got the owner on the hook, it just requires a little more patience.
2 2nds for Kupp is horrendous value for the owner trading him away.  Just awful.

Have received a lot of feelers but the best actual offer I have gotten for Kupp this off-season is the 1.11 straight up. For that I’ll keep him and see if his torrid pace before injury was a fluke or not which many seem to think it was.

Kupp easily for me. His total PPG in his healthy games is solid but in particular I'm a huge fan of consistency.  Only had 6 fully healthy games last year but hit at least 12 fantasy points in all 6.  Granted 6 is not a huge sample size he really started to become a different player around mid point of his rookie season and if you include his last 16 fully healthy games he has hit double digits in 14 of the 16 games.  86/1200/10 TD's over his last 16 games. Consistent with upside and a budding bromance with his QB. I like Golladay, just not as much as Kupp.

Speaking of the 2013 draft I remember having the 1.01 pick and trading it away for Cruz and half the league wanted to quit the league because I "ripped off" the other guy so bad. 

Also I offered a guy the pick 1.06 in that draft for Kaepernick.  He laughed at me said "this draft sucks I wouldn't give you Kaepernick for 5 1st round picks in this draft even if they were 1,2,3,4,5.  True story.  I picked Hopkins at 1.06.
i also remember this one time i made a trade and when i made it it looked really good but then it turned out bad and i was sad.

but then this other time I made a trade and the guys were like oh man that was bad and i was like wut why and they hated and i was sad it but then later it turned out i got the better end of the deal and i wasn't sad

I actually love the 1.05 spot this year if you were able to trade down. I have the 1.02 and am looking to do so but will wait till after the draft just to be sure. I’m sorely tempted to take AJ Brown at the 1.02 and I figure there’s a very very high Chance he would be there at 1.05 ...

Metcalf  - will most likely go 

Harry - likewise 

Butler - getting massive props from a lot of quarters, figures someone inside the top 4 will want that potential upside 

RB with the best landing spot - would be difficult to imagine no RBs going in the top 4 

= AJ Brown at 1.05 

I own Kupp and wouldn't trade him for golladay. As someone else said before, he's extremely consistent. Considering the questions surrounding this draft class I don't know if I'd give up Kupp for 1.1.

TartanLion said:
I actually love the 1.05 spot this year if you were able to trade down. I have the 1.02 and am looking to do so but will wait till after the draft just to be sure. I’m sorely tempted to take AJ Brown at the 1.02 and I figure there’s a very very high Chance he would be there at 1.05 ...

Harry - likewise 

Butler - getting massive props from a lot of quarters, figures someone inside the top 4 will want that potential upside 

RB with the best landing spot - would be difficult to imagine no RBs going in the top 4 

= AJ Brown at 1.05 
Not if I have anything to say about it, AJ Brown will be going 1.01.  If you risk waiting for him there, someone else will snipe him guaranteed.

TartanLion said:

Harry - likewise 

= AJ Brown at 1.05 
I also don’t think brown makes it to 1.05, but one can hope. Butler going inside the top 5, at this point, would be a surprise to me. I have a draft starting Thursday- let’s get the season going!!!!

TartanLion said:

Harry - likewise 

= AJ Brown at 1.05 
Too early to say. I’ve found it’s almost always better to move up before the draft. Some players go to terrible spots and some win the lottery.

i also remember this one time i made a trade and when i made it it looked really good but then it turned out bad and i was sad.

but then this other time I made a trade and the guys were like oh man that was bad and i was like wut why and they hated and i was sad it but then later it turned out i got the better end of the deal and i wasn't sad
His schtick got old a while ago but he just keeps at it.

Everyone clapped

I own Kupp and wouldn't trade him for golladay. As someone else said before, he's extremely consistent. Considering the questions surrounding this draft class I don't know if I'd give up Kupp for 1.1.
Well this is probably the highest anyone is on Kupp. I have Golladay a decent amount ahead of Kupp. I think he's got much more room to grow, and more natural talent. I also worry the Rams offense can really only come down, where as Detroit can get better(or worse I guess) 

I have 5 WR's in this draft class I'd take over Kupp, assuming none of them end up in Baltimore, or other awful situations. 

I was offered this year's 1.08 rookie pick for Fournette & turned it down. I feel Fournette is worth more. Anyone disagree?
I think he's worth 1.1 if you need a RB,  top 3 even if you don't.

I got a league where I acquired him a few weeks ago for 1.10 and Tevin Coleman. The team I traded with has McKinnon so I hoped they would see value in the 49'er pairing and seems like they did since they accepted my offer and have turned down previous offers that I thought were a little stronger. I also have 1.3 in that league and RB is not a major need but had they countered asking for 1.3 instead of 10/Coleman I'd have accepted.

Well this is probably the highest anyone is on Kupp. I have Golladay a decent amount ahead of Kupp. I think he's got much more room to grow, and more natural talent. I also worry the Rams offense can really only come down, where as Detroit can get better(or worse I guess) 

I have 5 WR's in this draft class I'd take over Kupp, assuming none of them end up in Baltimore, or other awful situations. 
35 15 3.11 Green, A.J. (CIN, WR, Age: 30) 35.33 Feb: 39.50, Mar: 37.67, Apr: 35.33
36 16 3.12 Golladay, Kenny (DET, WR, Age: 25) 36.83 Feb: 38.50, Mar: 32.67, Apr: 36.83
37 17 4.1 Hilton, T.Y. (IND, WR, Age: 29) 37.50 Feb: 38.50, Mar: 37.33, Apr: 37.50
38 18 4.2 Moore, D.J. (CAR, WR, Age: 21) 39.00 Feb: 43.33, Mar: 41.17, Apr: 39.00
39 19 4.3 Davis, Corey (TEN, WR, Age: 24) 39.67 Feb: 38.50, Mar: 39.17, Apr: 39.67
40 20 4.4 Woods, Robert (LAR, WR, Age: 26) 42.50 Feb: 38.00, Mar: 45.50, Apr: 42.50
41 21 4.5 Kupp, Cooper (LAR, WR, Age: 25) 42.67 Feb: 47.00, Mar: 41.83, Apr: 42.67

Mizelle shows all these WRs in basically the same tier.  Personally, I would move Green slightly up and Davis slightly down, but the dynasty world* seems to have Golladay and Kupp pretty close together.

*the world of mock drafters

where as Detroit can get better(or worse I guess) 
You see Matthew Staffiord getting better? I think he is what he is at this point - and I also think the coaching staff wants the team to be more run heavy. With that said I prefer Golloday's upside to Kupp as well, but they're close.

Does anyone think the “2019 class stinks” narrative is a little overplayed? While there isn’t an obvious “elite” player like Barkley/Zeke/gurley it seems to me to be a better wr class than the last couple years. Kind of like the “David Johnson is old” narrative- he’s 26 going on 30. It gets repeated over and over in 2017 that the 2019 class looks weak and it just becomes normalized. Picks are devalued this year because of it, and I’m trying to capitalize. 
Yes, although I still think it stinks for RB & QB. But I think the WR talent far surpasses the 2016 class that this is being compared to. There are some very interesting WRs falling into the early-to-mid 2nd round. I would take JJAW over all but maybe 2-3 of last year's WRs.

Most sites rank them very similarly which I think is fair. Kupp is coming off an unsustainable pace and an injury while Golladay is still riding a hype train despite floundering after Marvin and Tate were gone. Both seem overvalued to me. Looking at one set of rankings (which has them at WR17 & WR19), both are several spots ahead of Allen Robinson (WR25). I'm no AR superfan, but I'd easily take him over those two. He's the same age.

Dr. Octopus said:
You see Matthew Staffiord getting better? I think he is what he is at this point - and I also think the coaching staff wants the team to be more run heavy. With that said I prefer Golloday's upside to Kupp as well, but they're close.
Not only has he long plateaued as a player, but he has a lot more important things to worry about at the moment.  Hope she fully recovers of course, but can't see how this bodes well for his season (which obviously pales in comparison)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/kelly-stafford-wife-of-lions-matthew-stafford-announces-she-has-brain-tumor-161044708.html

travdogg said:

I also wouldn't trade Kupp for the 1.01 this year.

I'd be willing to wager almost any amount of money that there aren't 5 WR's in this class who will have better careers than Kupp. I could see one or two maybe, but figuring out who those are is going to be tough.

Sure we've probably seen Stafford's peak but this past season was a particularly down year for him and I would expect more raw numbers for him going forward.  He was about 800 yards and 8-10 TDs off his career averages.  We've seen this a lot with these career "pretty good" type players like Eli Manning where their year to year numbers vary pretty wildly.  This past season was the bad variance for Stafford.

On the flipside It seems very likely to me that we've seen Goff's career best year, much like we did with Stafford early on.  Goff put up a crazy unsustainable 10 game stretch to start the season and has since regressed really really badly.

I probably prefer Kupp to Golladay but I think it's more than fair to say the quality of QB play is going to get closer going forward.  I wouldn't be surprised if Stafford has 5+ seasons where he puts up better numbers than he did in 2018 and Goff has 0 seasons where he matches or exceeds his 2018.

roarlions said:
How do people view the value of Breida vs Jaylen Samuels in a 12 team PPR dynasty league? Looks like Samuels is going a little earlier in ADP right now.
Any thoughts on these 2 guys?

Sure we've probably seen Stafford's peak but this past season was a particular down year for him.  He was about 800 yards and 8-10 TDs off his career averages.  We've seen this a lot with these career "pretty good" type players like Eli Manning where their year to year numbers vary pretty wildly.  This past season was the bad variance for Stafford.
In the last 8 seasons, Stafford has finished: 5, 9, 4, 15, 8, 7, 6, 20... so yeah, people are probably being a little hard on him. That's a top 10 (or top 9) finish in 6 of 8 seasons and an average finish of 9.25, so he's been pretty reliable and much better than Manning who has played longer and only had 5 single digit finishes.

On the flipside It seems very likely to me that we've seen Goff's career best year, much like we did with Stafford early on.  Goff put up a crazy unsustainable 10 game stretch to start the season and has since regressed really really badly.
The guy is only 24 and threw 4688/32 while ranking 10th in pass attempts... plenty of room to grow. Stafford, on the other hand, peaked at 5038/41 while ranking 1st in pass attempts.

Roster cloggers that will always be waiting for an injury to be relevant. Neither one will ever be a player you want to start in week 1 (unless there's a preseason injury to the starter). 
I’d add that even if you sat on them and they become free agents they won’t be the kind of guys that will get a starting gig somewhere- unless of course there’s an injury and they have a solid showing in the meantime. I imagine pit could add someone in the draft as well. 

Sure we've probably seen Stafford's peak but this past season was a particularly down year for him and I would expect more raw numbers for him going forward.  He was about 800 yards and 8-10 TDs off his career averages.  We've seen this a lot with these career "pretty good" type players like Eli Manning where their year to year numbers vary pretty wildly.  This past season was the bad variance for Stafford.

I probably prefer Kupp to Golladay but I think it's more than fair to say the quality of QB play is going to get closer going forward.  I wouldn't be surprised if Stafford has 5+ seasons where he puts up better numbers than he did in 2018 and Goff has 0 seasons where he matches or exceeds his 2018.
Do you think it's a coincidence that Goff's bad stretch started pretty much when Kupp tore his ACL? Maybe it's not so unsustainable with Kupp in the lineup.

roarlions said:
How do people view the value of Breida vs Jaylen Samuels in a 12 team PPR dynasty league? Looks like Samuels is going a little earlier in ADP right now.
Samuels is one injury away from being the starter in an offense that always feeds its primary back.

Breida is one injury away from being part of a 3-headed committee, provided he isn’t the injury (which he has a scary history of).

Samuels easily.

Dr. Octopus said:
Maybe not getting better, but playing better. I think there was a bit of a tug of war going on with Patricia and Cooter last season. There was also a lot of turnover with Tate and Ebron leaving, Golladay stepping up, and M.Jones getting injured. Stafford had a lot not go his way last year, but I don't think he's a declining player, not yet anyway. 

Stafford had 700 more yards and 8 more TD's in 2017, and I think its reasonable to expect him to be closer to that than his 2018 numbers, assuming he isn't left with just Golladay again this year. With a healthy Jones, a healthy Johnson, a newly acquired Amendola and a likely rookie in the the 1st 3 rounds, I expect bigger numbers, and Golladay should be along for the ride, with other players taking coverage, which stopped happening down the stretch.

Maybe not getting better, but playing better. I think there was a bit of a tug of war going on with Patricia and Cooter last season. There was also a lot of turnover with Tate and Ebron leaving, Golladay stepping up, and M.Jones getting injured. Stafford had a lot not go his way last year, but I don't think he's a declining player, not yet anyway. 

Stafford had 700 more yards and 8 more TD's in 2017, and I think its reasonable to expect him to be closer to that than his 2018 numbers, assuming he isn't left with just Golladay again this year. With a healthy Jones, a healthy Johnson, a newly acquired Amendola and a likely rookie in the the 1st 3 rounds, I expect bigger numbers, and Golladay should be along for the ride, with other players taking coverage, which stopped happening down the stretch.
He needs some pass protection. All the weapons won’t buy him more time.

Users who are viewing this thread