What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just when it seems humanity is the suck (1 Viewer)

NCCommish

Footballguy
Ex-homeless mom pays off lunch tabs for poor kids after little boy’s ‘two lunches’ story goes viral

Josette Duran’s son noticed a little boy sitting by himself in the lunchroom eating nothing but a fruit cup. So, he started asking his mom to make an extra lunch for him to take.

The Albuquerque, New Mexico mom went viral online after filming a video talking about the incident, according to KCCI news. When the little boy’s mother found out about his new friend and mom bringing him lunch she tried to give Duran some money, but Duran refused. The boy’s mom explained that she lost her job and simply couldn’t afford the school lunch.

“She said ‘I know this isn’t much, but I just got a job and I know you’ve been feeding my son,'” Duran said.

As gratitude, the school’s volleyball team, that Duran coaches, also helped raise over $400. Instead of paying herself back or buying herself something nice, she used the money to pay all of the lunchroom bills of students who owed money for their tabs.

“We paid up all the past due accounts for all the kids who need lunch,” Duran said as she choked back tears. “So now, nobody in that school owes any money, and now everyone can eat.”

Duran explained that she and her son understand what it’s like not to have much because they once were forced to live out of her car.

“This hits home to me because a few years ago, me and my son were homeless,” Duran said. “I was living in my car and I was washing him in bathrooms. And we didn’t have food.”

Duran taught the school an important lesson about compassion, but the little boy not only gets to eat lunch, he’s not alone.

“I have friends, and I’m doing better in school, and you have a great son, and he’s my best friend,” Duran said the boy told her.
Seems like she raised a great kid and has a good heart herself. Empathy is underrated.

BTW it is maddening that in the richest country to ever exist we don't have universal free lunch. Always more money for bombs though.

'Burque has always been a big RAK town. It was such a charming city that way before anglo sprawl overran it. Middle-class folk were more proud of their causes than their cars.

Even after i came back to the sprawl after 15 yrs away there was still some of that spirit. I started the dealers in my poker room betting RAKs when they propped each other (the tribe had fired some BJ dealers for personal bets) and within a coupla months, the players were doing same. During Iraq, I mentioned to one of my dealers that the soldiers were starved for phone cards and, by the end of the yr, we had donated 15K worth of em to VFW. Just that kinda town - miss it every day...

If only the Albuquerque school district had a program for kids to get lunch when they can't afford it. Oh, they do. That's not nearly as fun as talking about bombs though. 

Good for Duran family. Seem like great people. 

If only the Albuquerque school district had a program for kids to get lunch when they can't afford it. Oh, they do. That's not nearly as fun as talking about bombs though. 

NM always challenges the Deep South for worst education system

Everyone should get free lunch. And we shouldn't be raiding the Food Stamps program to the tune of 5 billion dollars to do it. Which we did to provide lunches in areas where virtually all students are poor. Yeah I am sure no will miss that money.

We are on the hook for roughly 6 trillion dollars for the Iraq war at this point. A war of choice against someone who really did nothing to us. But we don't have the money for universal free lunch, or head start, or single payer healthcare. Of course we actually do have the money we just have extremely warped priorities.

And apparently we have way more than one parent who doesn't seem to be taking advantage of whatever program Albuquerque does have. So maybe they need to work on that bit.

Everyone should get free lunch. And we shouldn't be raiding the Food Stamps program to the tune of 5 billion dollars to do it. Which we did to provide lunches in areas where virtually all students are poor. Yeah I am sure no will miss that money.

We are on the hook for roughly 6 trillion dollars for the Iraq war at this point. A war of choice against someone who really did nothing to us. But we don't have the money for universal free lunch, or head start, or single payer healthcare. Of course we actually do have the money we just have extremely warped priorities.

And apparently we have way more than one parent who doesn't seem to be taking advantage of whatever program Albuquerque does have. So maybe they need to work on that bit.
Why do you think this? Wouldn't it be a waste of money to feed kids from wealthy families?

Why do you think this? Wouldn't it be a waste of money to feed kids from wealthy families?
No it wouldn't. Universal free lunch removes the stigma for those that aren't wealthy meaning more poor kids participate. Further universal free lunch removes administrative costs which are between 10 and 20% of the cost of producing the meal. And the truly wealthy are generally sending their kids to private schools anyway not public.

No it wouldn't. Universal free lunch removes the stigma for those that aren't wealthy meaning more poor kids participate. Further universal free lunch removes administrative costs which are between 10 and 20% of the cost of producing the meal. And the truly wealthy are generally sending their kids to private schools anyway not public.
Please. Poor families aren't skipping out because of stigma. I was a free lunch kid 30 years ago and I got my lunch tickets just like everyone else did. No one knows who sent in a check and who didn't. When I went to middle school, it changed to a lunch card. Again, no one knows who paid and who didn't. While I can't say for sure, I have to imagine privacy is more guarded today than it was then. 

Please. Poor families aren't skipping out because of stigma. I was a free lunch kid 30 years ago and I got my lunch tickets just like everyone else did. No one knows who sent in a check and who didn't. When I went to middle school, it changed to a lunch card. Again, no one knows who paid and who didn't. While I can't say for sure, I have to imagine privacy is more guarded today than it was then. 
When free lunches have been made universal participation by low income students increased.

When I was in middle school you turned in an envelope with your payment for the week.  The teacher had one of the kids collect them in our homeroom.  When the girl got to mine she could tell the envelope was empty and said "oh you get free lunch".

Privacy not so much.  It's different now though. I worked in a school lunch program and all the registers were touch screen and kids could cash out with a finger print tied to an electronic balance.  No one would know the lunch cost.

Users who are viewing this thread