Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Koya

A week later, I am still crushed. The perspective of a mixed-race marriage and a loss of trust

Just now, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

We ELECT crazy people.  None of that seems any different than what Trump himself wrote on Twitter during the 2012 when he thought Romney won the popular vote. 

That is quite true too.

5 minutes ago, Sweet J said:

I've been SOOOOO tempted reply to the "how do I explain to my daughters that a sexual predator just got elected????"

with:

"Tell them the truth: There is no God, Santa Clause is dead, and a shocking percentage of girls/women will get raped in their lifetimes. They might as well know now where they stand."

But my step mother convinced me that this response probably wasn't healthy. And probably evidenced anger issues.

I live in the most liberal place in America, most of the people in my neighborhood are the 'elites' that America voted against. They're saying how do I explain this to my kids (referencing 2 - 5 year olds)? I'm hearing so much of it. Un####ingbelievable! If you need to explain any of this to a preschooler, you're an #######!

Edited by fantasycurse42
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GroveDiesel said:

It's interesting to me that over the last 15 years the Right has been accused of spreading a climate of fear, and yet I don't remember anything even remotely approaching this incredibly intentional and unapologetic spreading of fear that is occurring. 

I can't stand Trump. He's a lout, a liar, a misogynist, has a thirst for power and has a massive ego. But he hasn't even been sworn in yet. Some of you need to get a firmer grip on reality, or maybe see a psychologist, grow up and stop scaring your kids. And stop acting like all the Trump voters are in line with all of his crap. If the Democrats had run Bernie Sanders the election would have been a bloodbath in his favor. Plenty of people voted for Trump while holding their nose. Stop seeing the worst in all of them. You're being as intolerant and prejudiced as you imagine them to be.

We need to start a "rational thread". I am at a loss for words with some of this stuff I reading here.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, David Dodds said:

Maybe Clinton smiled and appeared nice to people, but how do people really reconcile these things:

- She knew that Saudi and QATAR governments funded 9/11, yet she sold them massive weapons and took on huge donations from both.  She also was willing to take campaign contributions from additional governments that were horrible abusers of equal rights.   

- Her sloppiness with emails / protocols basically handed our worst enemies blueprints of what she would do if she were President. 

Instead of tweeting some things that offended people, She actually did things put all of us in a lot of danger.  People voted against Hillary in record numbers.  Don't group all-Trump voters with a stereotype.  Many voted to stop the Clintons from getting to the Whitehouse.

Those that feel as strongly as Koya should have done more to get like-minded people to vote for their candidate.  49.6% of the people did not vote. A ton of these non-voter are now rioting in the streets over a system that they chose to sit out.  

Link? Is there evidence any of that was actually compromised?

1 minute ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I live in the most liberal place in America, most of the people in my neighborhood are the 'elites' that America voted against. They're saying how do I explain this to my kids (referencing 2 - 5 year olds)? I'm hearing so much of it. Un####ingbelievable! If you need to explain any of this to a preschooler, you're an #######!

Some people's preschoolers are too slow to understand I guess?

Edited by Nick Vermeil

1 minute ago, Todem said:

This is ####### insane.

GTFOH. This is exactly why our country is divided. We seriously bat crazy people. And they can vote too.

Lord oh mighty. 

Tough choice between the mind-boggling irony of the bolded and the botched common colloquialism for the funniest part of this post.  I think I'm going with the irony.

12 minutes ago, Sweet J said:

Neither party has a monopoly on lemmings. You live in an awfully delicate house to be throwing those particular rocks. We all know about everyday republican folk who believe the drivel that comes out of the right wing media machine.  Recall: How many registered republicans think Obama is a Muslim?  

I never said that a party had a monopoly on the lemmings. Do you dispute what I wrote as my explanation?

2 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

Some kids preschoolers are too slow to understand I guess?

And some parents are such #######s with their own ####ty yuck yuck agendas that they'll poison their kids with any of this stuff. Really gotta be one piece of #### parent to get your 3 year old that invested into this. No need to spoil a 3 year olds happiness by explaining we have a criminal and scumbag running for president. 

Edited by fantasycurse42

11 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

If kids are crying about this election, that's on the parents.  They have instilled an irrational fear in their children.

And the fear is completely irrational.  There is nothing tangible for Koya, or some Central American adopted kids to worry about since the election took place.  The SS isn't coming door to door to round them up and bullying isn't suddenly going to be acceptable behavior.  Hate crimes will still be illegal and prosecuted at such.  The isolated incidents of racism being reported are being squashed and ridiculed by the country.  Racism, anti-Semitism and gay bashing aren't suddenly becoming acceptable because Trump was elected.  Calm the heck down.

I have to disagree with you here.  I carpool my son's soccer team.  Last tuesday night, I had four latino kids in my car (two with families from El Salvador, one from Costa Rica, one from Mexico). All were 15-16 years old.  I have no idea if the kids are US citizens, or if their parents are.  I'd guess that a good amount of the Latino kids in our area have undocumented family members.  Probably parents.  Many of these kids were either born here or their parents moved here when they were babies/toddlers. All four of the kids in my car I've known since kindergarten, so they've been here at least since then. 

They were all legitimately scared at the idea of Trump winning.  They've been told (don't know by who) that if Trump wins, they or their families are getting deported.  With the way the reporting has gone -- which is really just reporting THE THINGS THE TRUMP SAID -- I don't know how you could say a fear of a deportation force is "irrational."  Even for kids born in the US -- Trump is on record saying that he would "revisit" that law, as well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

It's admittedly anecdotal, but as was discussed in some other thread, people in my social circle are treating this as a national tragedy.  I really can't compare it to anything since 9/11.  People have cried at work.  The superintendent of our school district emailed all parents telling them about the social services available for traumatized kids.  My kid's religious school cancelled their normal curriculum so that the kids could discuss the election results, and the kids talked about it for two-and-a-half hours straight, even though class is only two hours long.  Everywhere I go this is being treated as a truly extraordinary event.  I don't remember anything like that in 2004.

Holy hell, I am officially, completely, out of touch in the country.  And after reading this, I am starting to think I am really lucky.

As a side note, each and every parent of these children really need to take a look in the mirror and understand just how much of their own issues they are putting on their kids. Very few kids get these heavy thoughts on their own in most cases.  That is just awful to hear so much hate and mistrust being handed down to the next generation.

Hearing this seems to cement that breaking this cycle is going to be damn near impossible if the kids are already being programmed to act like this.

• Like 5

For what it's worth, here's the email from my school superintendent I mentioned above:

A Message from Superintendent Jack R. Smith

Dear Members of the MCPS Community:

I am writing to share with you how Montgomery County Public Schools is assisting our staff and students in processing the outcome of Tuesday’s presidential election. This election season has been particularly difficult. It caused a great deal of emotion among many members of our community. We want to take this opportunity to reiterate the values that are foundational to this school system.

Now that the election is over, it is our job to restate our core values as a school system—demonstrating that we respect and care for every person in our community. First and foremost, we must reassure our staff and students that our school buildings are safe places where we truly value and respect every single individual and do not tolerate bullying or hate speech. The diversity of our community and the many cultures, languages, and religions that make up our school system continues to be our greatest strength. We are better when we all work together, learn together, and listen to each other.

We must have open and respectful conversations about the lessons of living in a democracy. That is our commitment as educators, and on this day honoring our veterans, we will help students move forward in understanding our democracy and how our nation works and endures. We will teach our students the important principles that are the foundation of our nation and we will do all we can to continue to foster a culture of understanding and respect for everyone.

Our schools are a resource for families as well. Counselors are available to help students process any concerns or feelings they have about the election. Curricular resources have been provided to assist teachers in discussing the election. We will continue to draw on the expertise of the Equity Initiatives Unit to help forge stronger understanding of the many perspectives in our community, state and nation.

Ultimately, we must reinforce at every opportunity that our schools are safe places where students learn and where we all work together to build a community that values and respects every person.

Sincerely,

Jack R. Smith, Ph.D.
Superintendent of Schools

I didn't agree with everything in this article but it's thought provoking and touches on a lot of the concerns addressed on both sides in this discussion:

http://thefederalist.com/2016/11/14/election-marks-end-americas-racial-detente/

Here's a brief section:

The rules of the deal were pretty straightforward. For whites, they stated that outright racist statements and explicit appeals to white racial identity were essentially banned. Along with this, whites accepted a double standard about the appropriateness of cultural and political tribalism. For obvious and reasonable historical and economic reasons, black and brown people explicitly pursuing their own interests was viewed differently than whites doing the same thing.

The other side of the deal was that so long as white people were sufficiently punished for acts of outright racism, minority leaders and communities would be cautious with accusations of racism. The key here was that once leveled and proved, the accusation of racism was a blow most whites could not come back from. From Jimmy the Greek to Michael Richardson, being labeled a racist was a black mark that did not wash off easily.

This was the basic agreement that set our cultural norms, a set of rules with relatively clear boundaries. Under those rules, many of Trump’s words and actions would have been immediately disqualifying, but they weren’t, because the rules are no longer in effect.

• Like 3

Just now, fantasycurse42 said:

And some parents are such #######s with their own ####ty yuck yuck agendas that they'll poison their kids with any of this stuff. No need to spoil a 3 year olds happiness by explaining we have a criminal and scumbag running for president. 

I don't really see how sharing the truth about a scumbag running our country is an agenda. Kids aren't as stupid as you think they are. They can sense what's going on around them.  

Just now, fantasycurse42 said:

My son is 11, in middle school (6th grade). Of course he was interested in the election. It was everywhere.

He said to me the morning after "So what now dad"

I said nothing bud. Keep doing great in school, and you got a baseball game tonight. Nothing is changing. Except if you are a paranoid pissed off and/or miserable with your life nut bar.

Kids should be kids. I never worried about a ####### thing when I grew up except playing ball, jamming on my guitar and ####### girls.....they have plenty of time to figure things out. Let them be kids. Explain to 5 year olds? Really? Helicopter BS.

If you must then explain to them this is how we do things in America. We vote and peacefully transfer power to a new president every 4-8 years. That's all they need to know for a long time. At least wait till they are teenager...by then they will form their own opinions from being exposed to it in school and learning American History in class.

Jesus people.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SIDA! said:

I never said that a party had a monopoly on the lemmings. Do you dispute what I wrote as my explanation?

I probably could parse some of the words you wrote but no need: I don't disagree with your sentiment. 

2 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

For what it's worth, here's the email from my school superintendent I mentioned above:

Well...that doesn't read TOO bad.

3 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Not a bad letter, actually. 

41 minutes ago, jonessed said:

There is no way we are going through the next four years without at least a minor recession.

If Trump carries through on his promises it won't be a) local (ie only the US) and b) minor, but I grant you there may be more than one

Just now, Nick Vermeil said:

I don't really see how sharing the truth about a scumbag running our country is an agenda. Kids aren't as stupid as you think they are. They can sense what's going on around them.  

Yeah my son did not like Trump at all. He was smart enough to see he was a blowhard and nasty guy.

But I did not put the fear of God in him if he became president like some people are doing to themselves and kids.

It's ridiculous.

I told him that we accept the result of the voting process, support our country and President and hope for the best. If he does not do a good job he will probably be voted out in 4 years.

That's what we have done for over a hundred years son. That's how our democracy works here. You win some, you lose some but you support your country, and you respect the office of President...even if you disagree with who won. It is what we do. And if he is so bad.....he will be impeached. 

People need to get a grip.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Koya said:

Being in a mixed-marriage, I've never felt an existential threat as I have over the past week.  The emotional carnage of it hitting home, recognizing this particular couple was part and parcel to that white-nationalist empowerment is very, very difficult to come to grips with.

We will move on as a nation.  I will heal and move forward with life.

This friendship will not, and can not, ever be the same.  How can it when they stand for someone who literally stands again, and/or stand with those who are against our very being?  The reason we see more swaztikas and hate this past week.... this is the new world into which my children will be born?

Or, I suppose it was the world all along, but the support of folks like my friend have normalized that which, even a week ago, would be considered indecent and hateful.

You lose me at the part where you say the friendship will not and can not ever be the same. That's on you, not them. I voted Trump, but I'm not going to lower myself to the level you seem to be lowering yourself to if a friend had voted for Hillary. That just seems way too extreme. I'd probably say good riddance to you if you let that cause that kind of effect on what sounds like was a long friendship. Just my :2cents:. Not criticizing. You're free to feel how you feel, but it just seems overboard to me.

Just now, Andy Dufresne said:

Yeah, I don't think that there's anything objectionable in the email.  I'm just trying to get across that this election has not been treated as ordinary by folks around here.  There certainly was no similar email in previous elections.  That's the sort of email you get when a national tragedy strikes.

I live in a small community with all or most races, religions, and sexual persuasions represented. I voted Trump. My Hispanic neighbors across the street voted Clinton. Last night our kids played together as they've done every other day. If they aren't brainwashed into fear and hatred, they appear to be just fine. If they can do it, maybe you and your friend of 30 years can follow their example? Good luck either way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Shhh.  Let's allow people to judge and denigrate total strangers and their parenting decisions in peace without pointing out their ironic hypersensitivity, please.

Edited by TobiasFunke

4 hours ago, Koya said:

I know there are a number of other threads. I don't give a ####.  I've remained mostly silent in the past week, digesting the events, understanding the calculus less of how we got here (that's fairly obvious to me, with plenty of blame to go around on both sides of the aisle).  But this morning I realized... a family who would have been at the top of my list as Godparents for my wife and I when we have children voted for Trump, and actively support him.  

And then I realized, this election went far further than politics.  It's not that I "won't be friends" with them anymore... but we obviously have hugely different views on the world. And they helped elect someone that has either actively called out and/or encouraged others to do the same while surrounding himself with others who do the same re: racism, anti-semitism, bigotry. Someone who admitted to sexually assaulting someone.  Someone who belittles those with disabilities.

But back to what really struck me... it's a week later and we see instances of hate cropping up with greater frequency than ever.  Boosted by a candidate and his supporters pushing white-nationalism and sowing the seeds of hatred and division.  As some here know, this all with my growing up the son of a Holocaust survivor who studied the rise of a man not unlike Trump in his stated beliefs and certainly approach and rhetoric.  Add to that the fact that my wife is part Latina, African American and Native American and I realize, these people literally support and helped elect someone who has put our lives and freedom, to some degree, in question.

As I stated on facebook, because i needed to emote and don't know where to go from here, on a personal level:

It's been a week since my country broke my heart. To know that nearly half of those who voted were 100% willing to support a clear bigot, racist, fraudulent conman is, honestly, scary. You may not (or may) be racist yourselves, but either way you are clearly ok with electing a President who is that, and by his own words and deeds, more. Someone who incites the worst human fears by tapping into the virulism of bigotry and division. I'm not looking to get into a back and forth on this post, it's just me emotive thoughts, I have no more energy than that. Just know that you have me thinking:

"How can I, someone in a mixed-race marriage, who wishes to have mixed-race children, ever fully trust a nation and those in it who helped elect and support someone who has purposefully singled people out by race, religion and ethnicity in the worst of ways?"

To those people, please understand that this rises above Politics. This is an affront to me, my wife, my future children. You have your reasons, I am sure. You can blame Hillary, the establishment, the lack of attention to the middle class... But please recognize and bear the responsibility for the choice to have helped make reality... an America that is less safe, less free, less equal than it was a week ago, with a direct impact on me, my family and our wellbeing. Even in the face of what some might have felt was a decision between the lesser of two evils, you chose the evil of inhumanity. In doing so, know that in all your adulation and celebration, you have done real harm to me, my family and millions like us who now are fearful of a nation that is supposed to be land of the free and home of the brave. I now question whether we are either, and moreso, what might it take to reclaim that banner?

Knowing there are those, even those close to me, who still support someone who is so clearly a bigoted racist, not to mention an admitted sexual assaulter, I honestly don't know if the bonds that have been frayed within me, bonds that extend decades in some case, can ever be truly rebuilt. After all, how could I feel safe letting my children be cared for by those who supported a bigot who has attacked their very ethnicity, encouraged others to discriminate and bully, someone who as of today is putting a white nationalist as his leading advisor?

It is a week later. I am still crushed. Not by the election, but the electorate, and especially those whom I thought shared a common ethos of decency, love and acceptance. How do we heal as a nation? We rebuild bonds, reinforce institutions, work together and find common ground. How do I heal as a human? I think to some degree, I never will. We can grow, we can learn, we can survive, evolve and thrive... but some lines, once crossed, can never again be whole. This election will forever be a demarcation whereby I recognized a lot more of this country stands against me and my family rather than for it. It is a week later. And I am still crushed.

I haven't read any replies but this has to be schtick right?  I am married to a Hispanic woman who dispises Hillary and voted for Trump with me.  You must watch a lot of MSNBC because Trump is not who you think he is.

Edited by Don't Noonan
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Koya said:

It was angst, but a different kind.  This is, for lack of a better term, a more existential angst.  No one (well, not many) questioned the very institutions of democracy after that election... after his getting the win his first go around in a questionable manner at that (could you imagine hanging chads in THIS environment? holy smokes).   

No one questioned the very fabric of our national community.  There was a lot of fear and concern for our country.. that a "dumb" (fair or not) guy was in the white house, who snuck in to begin with and only made things worse since he got there.  But almost to a tee, people I knew who were anti-bush would gladly "have a beer with him" and thought he was trying to do the right thing, for the right reasons.

People knew Bush CARED about them.  Or felt he did at least.

This is an agnst of someone who not only does not represent much of america, at all, but outright stands for very harmful realities.  Bush cared.  Then you could have someone who didn't care.  Then you have someone who is an actual antagonistic figure to you and your community... and a threat to you, your community and everything you feel is American.

Bush was a disaster, but at least a well intended one.  Trump is a racist bigot who has insulted POWs multiple times including Senator McCain, has admitted to sexual assault as a part of his life and entitlement as a famous person, has belittled those with disabilities - literally made fun of in a manner that would have most people's kids here grounded, spanked or both - and has used, on multiple occasions, the very language of the white-supremacist, neo-nazi movement, while then having their "establishment oriented leader" in Bannon appointed as Trumps top advisor.

Not quite the same there, don't ya think?

I think another distinction is that because of flawed polls and the biased media, people were convinced that Hillary was going to win.  When it became clear that she wasn't, it was like a punch in the stomach for the left.  I think if the polls had been more accurate and had shown that Trump was ahead or the race was close, Hillary's defeat might have been easier for everyone.

With all due respect, I think you're sugarcoating the left's reaction to W's second win.  There was plenty of disdain for him and I don't recall thinking many Democrats would gladly have a beer with him.  That was a long time ago so maybe I'm the one not remembering correctly. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Todem said:

Kids should be kids. I never worried about a ####### thing when I grew up except playing ball, jamming on my guitar and ####### girls.....they have plenty of time to figure things out. Let them be kids. Explain to 5 year olds? Really? Helicopter BS.

I was 8 years old in 1980, living in deepest blue inner-city Boston.  I remember being told that if Reagan got elected, we were certain to get in a nuclear war with the Soviet Union, which would destroy the world.

You could only imagine how I was affected by any occurrence of "heat lighting" (not raining yet, loud crash of thunder, and a flash of lightning WAY off in the distance).  I about peed my pants any time it happened. 

• Like 1

Just now, chet said:

I think another distinction is that because of flawed polls and the biased media, people were convinced that Hillary was going to win.  When it became clear that she wasn't, it was like a punch in the stomach for the left.  I think if the polls had been more accurate and had shown that Trump was ahead or the race was close, Hillary's defeat might have been easier for everyone. 

Yeah, I 100% agree with this.

2 minutes ago, chet said:

With all due respect, I think you're sugarcoating the left's reaction to W's second win.  There was plenty of disdain for him and I don't recall thinking many Democrats would gladly have a beer with him.  That was a long time ago so maybe I'm the one not remembering correctly. 

Probably because W doesn't drink beer. 

Just now, General Malaise said:

Probably because W doesn't drink beer. 

I don't trust people who don't drink beer. Coincidence about the orange one? I think not.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Koya said:

And to my specific post and the people I reference...

If you are raised in a community with limited diversity, generally lower-middle class white folk with a fairly limited world horizon (like literally, don't travel, homogenous communities, not much exposure to new/other ideas, cultures and people), I get it. Not only has the Dem party abandoned you to a degree (as or moreso in spirit than policy imo, but that's not the point, it happened), but you don't even come across those folks that may have received "more" of the attention from the Dems.  That's a bitter pill to swallow, I get it.  You can only be as informed as your life's experience allows.

But my friend, for example - dammit, he should know better. This is someone, and his wife, that spout the alt-right website stuff without - here come's that word - critically thinking about it.  This is someone that should know a BS right wing propaganda machine just like I can tell one from the left (although granted, my father probably can't do the latter).   His life experience is enough that there should, imho, be some recognition of how awful Trump is, and not only that, how full of absolute #### he is as well.  There is no excuse for him buying into this nationalist, and now clearly a white-nationalist vision without any consideration for those who would be harmed in the process. And it's this last point which will be the hardest for me to excuse, and harder still to instill a feeling one day where I'd trust him to raise my kids again (because at this point I certainly won't, not with the judgement he's shown me, and that's just my personal opinion on the matter).  If he can't think about what the vitriolic bigoted language and hateful antics that went on for the entire campaign would do to my children, who represent the very targets of those aggressions (verbal and otherwise), that says more about him than I realized, or maybe wanted to realize. 

Maybe in retrospect I should not be surprised. When I recognize things he's done, said in the past. Certain comments or attitudes that I just brushed off as whatever, not worth getting into.  Maybe it's that reality, me not seeing or, really, not standing up to the little #### in the past (you know, guys talking, being fresh, joking around or talking about ####) that has allowed this to strike me with such force.  Dunno. 

Well to be fair you were spewing the left wing drivel about what type of housing we should be living in a while back.  Maybe they got sick of hearing you world view regarding how they should be allowed to live and decided to vote the opposite of you.

8 minutes ago, Todem said:

Yeah my son did not like Trump at all. He was smart enough to see he was a blowhard and nasty guy.

But I did not put the fear of God in him if he became president like some people are doing to themselves and kids.

It's ridiculous.

I told him that we accept the result of the voting process, support our country and President and hope for the best. If he does not do a good job he will probably be voted out in 4 years.

That's what we have done for over a hundred years son. That's how our democracy works here. You win some, you lose some but you support your country, and you respect the office of President...even if you disagree with who won. It is what we do. And if he is so bad.....he will be impeached. 

People need to get a grip.

I came so close to giving you a like here, but this is not just a normal win some/lose some. I personally want to give him a chance but my "grip" is slipping. Any hope that his campaign racism and misogyny was just bluster to get votes and free press is out the window. How can we expect those groups to trust him to be a good leader?  Elevating Bannon beyond dangerous web nut aside, these guys can't even get their #### together to put together a transition team.  It's bleak folks.  

Edited by Nick Vermeil

34 minutes ago, Koya said:

I have a friend (lives in LA, so about as "safe" from this as possible) who's kids have been crying every night since the election worried about how they will be treated by classmates and adults, by the police... because the kids are of central american descent, but adopted by my friend and his wife.

This is the world my friend has helped give us... and hence my angst at those who supported a campaign that was DESIGNED to do this.  Not exactly a nuanced or gray area in this case, pretty cut and dry. 

Has Trump suggested he would be deporting legal immigrants, legally adopted?  I think if the kids are crying it is because hysterical adults over interpreted even Trump's most inflammatory and ignorant statements and got the kids to buy into wholly unrealistic scenarios not ever remotely on the table.

I think by you rallying these arguments and giving them credence to buttress your position that you are going down an imaginary road, worse than the real road.  Me, I am trying to navigate the real road, it has horrors aplenty without imagining more.  Thus far Ia m only venturing out in the daylight in my ZARV which I have modified to my TARV.

• Like 5

It's baffling to see people blow the election results off as no big deal.

We elected a racist, misogynistic reality TV star with a personality disorder and no foreign policy/political experience.  How are you supposed to talk someone into being concerned about that?  It's like trying to talk someone into 2+2=4.  If they don't get it, what can you do?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, T J said:

You lose me at the part where you say the friendship will not and can not ever be the same. That's on you, not them. I voted Trump, but I'm not going to lower myself to the level you seem to be lowering yourself to if a friend had voted for Hillary. That just seems way too extreme. I'd probably say good riddance to you if you let that cause that kind of effect on what sounds like was a long friendship. Just my :2cents:. Not criticizing. You're free to feel how you feel, but it just seems overboard to me.

I never said he and I won't be friends.

But, to know what I now know does mean it will never be the same.  And if he does not repudiate Trump and Bannon, it likely will be further divided.

I'm going to have mixed-race children. Can people not understand what this election has done to those who don't look like most of the folks on this middle aged, generally white, board?  Perhaps shame on me for not realizing the true extent of the racism out there, and that's probably something I need to reflect on myself, but certain things can't be unseen. We all learn new things about people all the time, and that reflects in our interactions and relationships.  

Right now, in the still immediate aftermath of what this election represented, I've learned something that can't be ignored, if not for me, then the wellbeing of my family.  That's on me. Just as voting for and actively supporting the alt-right Trumptastic campaign is on him - and he is WELL within his rights to do all of it.  As am I in my reaction, especially as it pertains to my family and how they can / will be affected by people voting for someone so closely aligned with strong white-nationalist groups.  I mean, I can't believe some folks can't understand my personal sadness/dilemma here.  Don't have to even agree, but yeesh, we are not talking about just Politics or a candidate.  

This is Trump, the last 18 months of hate infused rallies with Trump throwing red meat to the wolves and the formalization of it all with Bannon being announced. Everyone is free to support whomever they want. But you need to own it, especially if you are vocal about your support.  You support the above, go ahead - just own it and accept responsibility for it. 

3 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

We elected a racist, misogynistic reality TV star with a personality disorder and no foreign policy/political experience.  How are you supposed to talk someone into being concerned about that?  It's like trying to talk someone into 2+2=4.  If they don't get it, what can you do?

Of course we should be concerned. The two parties gave us two pieces of ####. We should be blaming the parties instead of blaming each other.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

I haven't read any replies but this has to be schtick right?  I am married to a Hispanic woman who dispises Hillary and voted for Trump with me.  You must watch a lot of MSNBC because Trump is not who you think he is.

I watch all stations just to get some balance (my wife is a lefty MSNBC devotee, unfortunately, I can't stand Maddow).

Also, since you seem new to the Koya Campaign Show '16 Spectacular, I happen to live in NY, know people in some similar circles as Trump (am in Real Estate development myself) and have known who Trump really is for decades now.   From everything I've gathered, he's worse than we know, not better. 

And the bar is set pretty damned low to begin with.  

22 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I can't wait for my kids to compete against these special snowflakes. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

I don't recall saying kids are stupid, if you could highlight where I did it would be appreciated. On the other hand, this is perhaps the douchiest comment I've read all week, kudos:

Some people's preschoolers are too slow to understand I guess?

Are you implying my son or someone else's child that has the restraint from poisoning/brainwashing their very young child with this nonsense (and their own personal views) makes the child stupid? Hard to imagine a crappier outlook if I tried? 

I consider my 3 year old pure, his happiness derives from the smallest things - chocolate bars, rides at an amusement park, playing with his friends, riding on my shoulders, swimming in a pool, kicking a ball, solving a simple equation, going for a ride in the car, going to the playground, reading a book, opening a present... These things make him pure, bring a good childhood, create healthy memories. A kid who isn't even in elementary school yet shouldn't be watching CNN or learning lessons from Donald Trump, they should be learning from you.

Having your very young child cry bc Hillary Clinton lost the election makes you a tool, an #######, a scumbag, and a piece of ####. 

Edited by fantasycurse42
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

What are the odds he sends that if Hillary wins? Zero.

He's a public employee and therefore should represent the middle ground of all his taxpayer employers. 

This is unnecessary and biased to one half of the political spectrum. I find it childish and insulting

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

This post is one of the best ones I've read that sums up why Trump won. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Koya said:

I'm going to have mixed-race children. Can people not understand what this election has done to those who don't look like most of the folks on this middle aged, generally white, board?  Perhaps shame on me for not realizing the true extent of the racism out there, and that's probably something I need to reflect on myself, but certain things can't be unseen. We all learn new things about people all the time, and that reflects in our interactions and relationships.  

What has it done other than gotten you worked up into a frenzy?  The entire thing is in your mind.  There is absolutely nothing tangible to be scared of.  You keep making these general statements with no actual details.

It's freaking weird and you should probably slap yourself in the face and realize you have a family to lead and leading them in fear isn't a good idea.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

But isn't the exact opposite happening where the protests and violence are coming directly from people who supported Clinton?

Shh, shh,shh....leave the truth out of this.

This is like one of those safe zones at colleges where Koya and the other snowflakes don't want to hear opposing views

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

a 3yr old doesn't vote, isn't interested in politics and should be playing with play doh or watching Disney channel, or god forbid hanging out on the monkey bars at the local playground.

Parents ramming their politics down a toddlers throat is disgusting and mentally unstable.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Having your child cry bc Hillary Clinton lost the election makes you a tool, an #######, a scumbag, and a piece of ####. 

To be fair, there are some parents who have been riding the corruption gravy train with the Clintons who lost out on a lot when Trump won. It is probably Ok for these kids to cry. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I don't recall saying kids are stupid, if you could highlight where I did it would be appreciated. On the other hand, this is perhaps the douchiest comment I've read all week, kudos:

Are you implying my son or someone else's child that has the restraint from poisoning/brainwashing their very young child with this nonsense (and their own personal views) makes the child stupid? Hard to imagine a crappier outlook if I tried? 

I consider my 3 year old pure, his happiness derives from the smallest things - chocolate bars, rides at an amusement park, playing with his friends, riding on my shoulders, swimming in a pool, kicking a ball, solving a simple equation, going for a ride in the car, going to the playground, reading a book, opening a present... These things make him pure, bring a good childhood, create healthy memories. A kid who isn't even in elementary school yet shouldn't be watching CNN or learning lessons from Donald Trump, they should be learning from you.

Having your child cry bc Hillary Clinton lost the election makes you a tool, an #######, a scumbag, and a piece of ####. 

Again the truth is not poisoning or brainwashing.  Your kid, being a New Yorker, is in school with people who are rightly very afraid right now.  He's going to pick it up. I guess he can just say, "Sucks about your mom being deported. Daddy is taking me to the pool later!"

It's like you think they're going to do bad things to your kids at some point. That's bizarro world thinking type stuff there.