What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2018 Draft Class (3 Viewers)

ummm.  he was a true freshman in 2015 and turned 21 that year.  That means he was almost 20 during his senior year of HS. 

He was already a grown ### man as a freshman in college.  He should be expected to dominate college being 2-3 years older than his fellow classmates.

ummm.  he was a true freshman in 2015 and turned 21 that year.  That means he was almost 20 during his senior year of HS. 

He was already a grown ### man as a freshman in college.  He should be expected to dominate college being 2-3 years older than his fellow classmates.
I would say there is a certain amount of validity to this argument. Thanks for pointing this out.

I like Ridley, he looks really good.  Just hard to evaluate him when he had a huge age advantage over his peers.
I get this argument, but I think it's an overrated one when knocking Ridley. His peers have come out and stated how talented he is. Whether he's 20-23, that's all that matters. But hey, potential is king in dynasty. The "what if" player with all of the WR1 measurables is always gonna be more appealing.

It's hard to take this seriously when Ridley and Kirk are omitted from the top 5, let alone the top 10.
Ridley and Kirk have both had pretty lousy efficiency stats. They each had 7.5 yards per target or worse each season, when the average receiving prospect at the NFL combine is over 9.0 YPT and most successful NFL receivers were over 10.0 YPT. Alabama QBs have a higher YPA when not throwing to Ridley. Ridley also had a below average number (and market share) of TDs. Kirk's stats are only slightly better.

Ridley and Kirk have both had pretty lousy efficiency stats. They each had 7.5 yards per target or worse each season, when the average receiving prospect at the NFL combine is over 9.0 YPT and most successful NFL receivers were over 10.0 YPT. Alabama QBs have a higher YPA when not throwing to Ridley. Ridley also had a below average number (and market share) of TDs. Kirk's stats are only slightly better.
Is this Ridley's cumulative stats? Or is this from just the previous year? 

Is this Ridley's cumulative stats? Or is this from just the previous year? 
It's true of each of his seasons.

average WR: 9.6 YPT, +1.8 YPT-teamYPA, 0.63 TD/g, 31% of team passing TDs
Ridley 2015: 7.4 YPT, -0.3 YPT-teamYPA, 0.47 TD/g, 32% of team passing TDs
Ridley 2016: 6.8 YPT, -1.0 YPT-teamYPA, 0.47 TD/g, 27% of team passing TDs
C Kirk 2015: 7.5 YPT, +0.8 YPT-teamYPA, 0.54 TD/g, 28% of team passing TDs
C Kirk 2016: 7.1 YPT, +0.0 YPT-teamYPA, 0.69 TD/g, 36% of team passing TDs

More stats here, including much better numbers from their teammates ArDarius Stewart and Josh Reynolds.

It's true of each of his seasons.

average WR: 9.6 YPT, +1.8 YPT-teamYPA, 0.63 TD/g, 31% of team passing TDs
Ridley 2015: 7.4 YPT, -0.3 YPT-teamYPA, 0.47 TD/g, 32% of team passing TDs
Ridley 2016: 6.8 YPT, -1.0 YPT-teamYPA, 0.47 TD/g, 27% of team passing TDs
C Kirk 2015: 7.5 YPT, +0.8 YPT-teamYPA, 0.54 TD/g, 28% of team passing TDs
C Kirk 2016: 7.1 YPT, +0.0 YPT-teamYPA, 0.69 TD/g, 36% of team passing TDs

More stats here, including much better numbers from their teammates ArDarius Stewart and Josh Reynolds.
Surely some of Ridley's regression was because of Alabama's QB issues this past year, no? 

I'm not a huge fan of Kirk. If he gets drafted into a situation like Cobb, he should do well tho. 

Out of the 100 players with the most receiving yards in college football in 2016, here are the 5 with the lowest yards per target:

YPT    Player    School
6.74    Ervin Philips    Syracuse
6.84    Calvin Ridley    Alabama
6.96    KeeSean Johnson    Fresno St
7.00    Gabe Marks    Wash St
7.08    Christian Kirk    Texas A&M

In other words, Ridley and Kirk were pretty much at the bottom of the barrel. Alabama might have had some QB issues, but that doesn't explain how it got this bad. It also doesn't explain why Ridley was worse than his teammates at YPT, when a team's WR1 is usually almost 2 YPT better than his teammates.

Last edited by a moderator:
In his first 2018 mock draft, ESPN's Todd McShay ticketed Florida junior WR Antonio Callaway to the Ravens at pick No. 21.
Raising an eyebrow for a 2018 mock draft in May is rarely necessary, but in this case, consider the eyebrow raised. McShay describes the 5-foot-11, 198-pound Callaway as being "freakishly talented," but his on-field numbers have not come together as of yet -- granted, he plays for Florida, so that will happen. Of far more noteworthy weight, Callaway's past is beyond checkered and includes an admission of marijuana use and more seriously an accusation of sexual assault. These are major red flags that could well keep him out of the first round given that the NFL is ostensibly attempting to clean up its image. Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom, for one, does not have Callaway being swept off the board in Round 1 in his own 2018 mock draft.

Source: ESPN Insider 
May 6 - 3:49 PM

In his first 2018 mock draft, ESPN's Todd McShay projected the Minnesota Vikings to select Alabama junior WR Calvin Ridley with the No. 5 pick.
You can expect a reasonable amount of variance in draft projection for Ridley, but even at this early juncture, No. 5 seems a little lofty for the speedy wideout. Then again, the Titans just selected WMU's Corey Davis at No. 5, so maybe not? From a more measured vantage point, Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom slots Ridley in as the No. 18 pick to the Ravens in his own 2018 mock-up. Ridley caught 72 passes for 769 yards and a septet of touchdowns during the past campaign.

Source: ESPN Insider 
May 6 - 3:18 PM

George Whitfield, the private quarterback coach for North Carolina senior QB Brandon Harris, indicated that he could have an ascension similar to that of now-former Tar Heel QB Mitchell Trubisky.

Trubisky had 12 games and he’s sitting at the same table as Deshaun Watson," Whitfield said at the beginning of April. Harris transferred over to North Carolina from LSU at the end of March after slogging through a woefully inconsistent career, one which saw him benched due to ineffectiveness in September of the past season. Despite showing plenty of flashes during his time with the Tigers, Harris was never able to put it all together for any real stretch of time, certainly not one that would hint toward an NFL quarterbacking future. At least some of this can be blamed on LSU's blink-and-it's-still-not-moving offense. Whitfield sees a better on-field fit for Harris at UNC.

Source: Charlotte Observer

ESPN's Alex Scarborough wrote that Alabama junior WR Calvin Ridley "appears to be a mirror image of [former Alabama WR Amari] Cooper."

Scarborough sees the similarities between the two players in "the same roots in South Florida, a similar 6-foot-1 frame and what should turn out to be similarly big career numbers." Ridley was somewhat undone by Alabama's hit/miss passing game last season, turning in a modest 72-769-7 receiving line, but with now-sophomore QB Jalen Hurts expected to take a significant step forward as a passer, we would not rule out Ridley as a darkhorse Heisman possibility in the vain of Oklahoma's Dede Westbrook last season.

Source: ESPN.com 
May 7 - 1:31 PM

ESPN's Mel Kiper ranks Texas A&M junior WR Christian Kirk No. 5 overall on his first 2018 big board.
"Kirk's size (5-11, 200) might ding him in the eyes of scouts, but he's a tremendous receiver and return man with excellent speed," Kiper wrote. "From everything I've heard, Kirk is a studious guy who is always looking to learn." Over his two years on campus, Kirk has already piled up 163 catches and 16 receiving touchdowns, along with three punt return scores in 2016. Kirk ranked No. 8 nationally last year with 576 yards after the catch. Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom slotted him No. 13 to the Lions in a recent 2018 mock draft. "Kirk has been shredding the SEC since he stepped foot on campus and would give Detroit a lightning-quick weapon on the perimeter," Nystrom wrote.

Source: ESPN 
May 11 - 3:26 PM

Wyoming redshirt junior QB Josh Allen has thrown the ball 85 yards and run the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds.

Allen planned to declare for the NFL Draft after last season before a change of heart. The B/R profile also notes that the 6-foot-5, 235-pound Allen may grow to be 6-foot-6 by the fall. Wyoming's coaching staff molded Carson Wentz at North Dakota State. "You got a dude who’s 6’5", 235 pounds and can also run a 4.6 rolling down on ya? His arm strength is on par with Peyton Manning," said HC Craig Bohl. Allen is working with QB coach George Whitfield. "His talent is mythical," says Whitfield. "He’s Cam’s frame, but he can stop, start and has the antenna of a Manziel. It’s not a referendum on talent. It’s flight hours. He’s a young, talented pilot. He just needs more hours in the plane." About Allen's draft decision, Whitfield added: "Every quarterback in this draft should exhale. I think he would have been the first quarterback taken. ... I don’t think any one of those guys comes in with the skill set or nuclear element that he comes in with."

Source: Bleacher Report 
May 12 - 2:03 PM

ESPN's Mel Kiper ranks Florida junior WR Antonio Callaway No. 11 overall on his 2018 big board.

"He's a big play waiting to happen," Kiper wrote, adding that Callaway "needs to improve as a route runner." Off-field issues remain a concern. Callaway was cleared in a sexual assault allegation last year that resulted in a suspension. He has also admitted to using marijuana. The 5-foot-11, 198-pounder averaged 19.4 yards per catch over 35 receptions as a freshman in 2015 and posted a 54-721-3 line as a sophomore last season (13.4 yards per catch).

May 12 - 12:26 PM

Ridley is so hard to judge, his rankings are all over the place

and I don't think it will be any better this year due to the QB situation at Bama

247 Sports reports that UCLA junior Soso Jamabo was running with better pad level this spring.

Jamabo was one of the nation's most disappointing players last season, and the Bruins’s running game as a whole was wretched, ranking last in the Pac-12. To be fair to Jamabo, the Bruins' line was terrible in 2016, its offensive gameplans were clueless and Josh Rosen missed half the season to injury. New offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch's system will be far more friendly to Jamabo, and it should give Jamabo plenty more opportunities to bounce outside via stretch plays.

Source: 247 Sports 
May 15 - 2:10 PM

ESPN's Mel Kiper ranks Texas A&M junior WR Christian Kirk No. 5 overall on his first 2018 big board.
"Kirk's size (5-11, 200) might ding him in the eyes of scouts, but he's a tremendous receiver and return man with excellent speed," Kiper wrote. "From everything I've heard, Kirk is a studious guy who is always looking to learn." Over his two years on campus, Kirk has already piled up 163 catches and 16 receiving touchdowns, along with three punt return scores in 2016. Kirk ranked No. 8 nationally last year with 576 yards after the catch. Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom slotted him No. 13 to the Lions in a recent 2018 mock draft. "Kirk has been shredding the SEC since he stepped foot on campus and would give Detroit a lightning-quick weapon on the perimeter," Nystrom wrote.

....and just think....a couple smarty pants in my leagues think very little of Kirk.  I guess they know more than Kiper does and should replace him on ESPN.  I know these guys get it wrong too, but I personally like Captain Kirk, so there :throwstoungeout:  I like Ridley more however ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
....and just think....a couple smarty pants in my leagues think very little of Kirk.  I guess they know more than Kiper does and should replace him on ESPN.  I know these guys get it wrong too, but I personally like Captain Kirk, so there :throwstoungeout:  I like Ridley more however ;)
Smart.

Add this to the growing list of off-field issues for Callaway

(See Kiper post on this same page)

SEC Country's Shehan Jeyarajah believes that Tennessee junior WR Jauan Jennings is "probably good enough to be considered a star."
"With Josh Malone gone to the NFL, Jennings should compete to be one of the SEC’s few 1,000-yard receivers in 2017, and perhaps develop into a legitimate NFL prospect," Jeyarajah writes. This past season, the 6-foot-3, 201-pounder caught 40 passes for 580 yards and seven touchdowns. He received a citation for simple possession of marijuana in early February, but that charge has since been dismissed and thus should have no effect on his availability for the start of the coming season.

Source: SEC Country 
May 22 - 4:27 PM

Users who are viewing this thread