What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Betsy Devos....probably going to need her own thread. (1 Viewer)

She apparently thinks kids should be "allowed" to work.  
We going to need someone to do all the unskilled labor jobs Trump's bringing back.  I mean his followers can only be expected to fill so many jobs that require no thought.  Children are the next logical group.

Last edited by a moderator:
We going to need someone to do all the unskilled labor job's Trump's bring back.  I mean his followers can only be expected to fill so many jobs that require no thought.  Children are the next logical group.
Well, maybe poor kids...but no myyyyyyy kids. 

Look while I profoundly disagree with many of  her positions, she's not representing anything new. The arguments she is essentially making (vouchers, private and religious schools are better than public schools, charter schools are the best kind of public school, little or no federal involvement in curriculum, teachers unions are the problem, etc) have been made by conservatives and right wing talk radio for decades now. They won the election and of course they were going to choose someone like this. 

Look while I profoundly disagree with many of  her positions, she's not representing anything new. The arguments she is essentially making (vouchers, private and religious schools are better than public schools, charter schools are the best kind of public school, little or no federal involvement in curriculum, teachers unions are the problem, etc) have been made by conservatives and right wing talk radio for decades now. They won the election and of course they were going to choose someone like this. 
Let's put these kids to work.  In my day we worked.  

As bad as this hearing went yesterday she we still get the job.  That is INSANE!  
Yep.  Not even a question.  There is literally nothing that matters anymore.  The Dems were simply trying to tar and feather her a bit before she takes over.  

So, I like her idea of breaking down the education issue into smaller chunks that can be tackled separately.

First, lets make sure we can reimburse all the wealthy parents who eschew local public schools for private schools.  After all, its not fair that those parents have to pay taxes for resources they would never use.  

Second, lets make sure all the middle class families have better public school options so that their kids are not tainted by the societal failure of poor kids.

Finally, we can get to the root of the education disparity in the country, and address the education system that is failing millions of lower income kids.  You know what though, we have probably already done enough work on education that this part can wait for another administration.  

Living in Orange County (bastion of conservatism) I hear it all the time: kids are lazy, they don't work hard enough in school, we worked much harder back in the day, they think they're entitled, enough of this common core crap, let's get back to the basics, etc. 

Most people around here probably have no clue who Devos is (I doubt they're paying attention) but if they heard her they'd like her. 

Pretty much worked Charter since I entered, they suck! 

In theory could be great but then you let some entity like Charter Schools USA create a borderline monopoly in areas of Florida for,Charter Schools, owner in bed with Gov Rick Scott, it's all dirty politics at its best. 

On the plus side, at least she is not one of the wackos from the Texas Board of Education - they are the ones who put all kind of crazy stuff into textbooks that most school districts around the country end up having to use.

I like Franken, but I thought this was dumb. Democrats should focus their criticism on issues that Devos will have a direct effect on.
Then you thought wrong.

There will be a million stories about this remarkably unqualified fool for the position she is about to take, Franken shone a light on another offensive side of her, and had her in front of a mic to address it.  Maybe Betsy has thoughts on how to handle gay students?  

Then you thought wrong.

There will be a million stories about this remarkably unqualified fool for the position she is about to take, Franken shone a light on another offensive side of her, and had her in front of a mic to address it.  Maybe Betsy has thoughts on how to handle gay students?  
I see your point. 

I just figured that in the limited time the Dems had to question her, they should focus on policies that will direct affect millions of the public. 

When there is no good defense, always retreat to "well both sides do it!" 

Except in this instance they don't. 
Don't do what?  Nominate liberals or conservatives to their administrations?  Her views on education aren't that out of whack from a conservative viewpoint.

Pathetic.  You can hate everything liberal and Democratic if you want, and still call these appointments a joke.

Put another way: If she's qualified, what does unqualified look like?

It's all faux outrage?  No one really cares about schools and kids, is that your stance?
So far there have only been two specific things in this thread which have been brought up against her, wanting kids to work and hatred of gays, both of which are purely based upon guilt by association and are purely fear-mongering tactics.  If you want to discuss her lack of experience or stated stances on schools, then have at it.  So far this has been mostly a terrible thread. 

Don't do what?  Nominate liberals or conservatives to their administrations?  Her views on education aren't that out of whack from a conservative viewpoint.
What about her competence?  Isn't that a big reason for the criticism of her?  It seems like she isn't familiar with some very basic concepts because she's never actually had a job in education or a degree in education.

You're being willfully obtuse?  

Franken asked her for her thoughts on growth and proficiency, it wasn't a gotcha question, and he had to explain the difference to her.  She sat there with a frozen smile, and reacted like a 12 year old that didn't even crack a textbook.  She is not qualified, whatever he views are.  

Neither is Rick Perry.  His resume, compared to his predecessors, both Dem and GOP, is sadly laughable.

So far there have only been two specific things in this thread which have been brought up against her, wanting kids to work and hatred of gays, both of which are purely based upon guilt by association and are purely fear-mongering tactics.  If you want to discuss her lack of experience or stated stances on schools, then have at it.  So far this has been mostly a terrible thread. 
Hey, bummer you don't like the thread.  Really doesn't have anything to do with the subject, or the statement you quoted, does it?

Absurdly unqualifed person nominated for a position in charge of education, gets some easy questions and freezes up like MOP at a spelling bee, and you don't like the thread. 

Copy that.

Neither is Rick Perry.  His resume, compared to his predecessors, both Dem and GOP, is sadly laughable.
I don't think his resume is all that different from Bill Richardson.  I just looked up the two guys that held the job during W's administration and they just seem like political guys too, not scientists.

Obama's two Secretaries of Energy were the anomalies.  It wasn't typical for world-renowned scientists to be in that job until Obama came along.

I don't think his resume is all that different from Bill Richardson.  I just looked up the two guys that held the job during W's administration and they just seem like political guys too, not scientists.

Obama's two Secretaries of Energy were the anomalies.  It wasn't typical for world-renowned scientists to be in that job until Obama came along.
Did Bill Richardson have "smart guy" glasses?  I don't think so.  Advantage, Perry.

On the plus side, at least she is not one of the wackos from the Texas Board of Education - they are the ones who put all kind of crazy stuff into textbooks that most school districts around the country end up having to use.
Yeah, good thing.  Of course she's also been an advocate for bringing God back into schools.  So that's probably good. 

Hey, bummer you don't like the thread.  Really doesn't have anything to do with the subject, or the statement you quoted, does it?

Absurdly unqualifed person nominated for a position in charge of education, gets some easy questions and freezes up like MOP at a spelling bee, and you don't like the thread. 

Copy that.
It has everything to do with the tone of this thread.  A bunch of outrage over false or at least misleading information.  People getting outrage over information which they know are lies. 

Users who are viewing this thread