What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While this is the truth, it’s not the whole truth. I don’t come to this POV in a vacuum. 

There are 3 modern scandals before this one  which people at the time believed rose to the level of impeachment: Watergate, Iran-Contra, and Lewinskygate. In each of those the President’s political party was generally opposed but at least some were open to the idea of following the investigation wherever it went. Not in this case. From the beginning, Republicans in Congress have expressed their utter contempt and total opposition to any investigation. They have actively aided Trump in his obstruction. They have made it impossible for the congress to fulfill its constitutional duties. 

In other words, it is Republicans who have turned this into a wholly political matter. I simply accept things as they are. 
Johnson is a wash due to the era. The GOP was wiped out in 74 and lost the WH In 76. And Bush ran on and won in 00 partly on returning decency (or something) to the presidency.

I’m getting a pseudo reverse psychology vibe on this one from the GOP. We’ll see how the McGahn hearing goes as that should be a preview.

Kind of getting the feeling that people think impeachment is just an up or down vote the House decides to have one day, and then another vote the Senate decided to have on a different day.

There would be lots and lots of hearings, all of which would be more closely watched than any previous hearings in the Trump era, even the Cohen and Comey testimony. There would be carefully crafted Articles of Impeachment that would be reprinted on the front page of every newspaper in America and analyzed to death on every TV news program. Then there would be an even more closely watched trial in the Senate where the "prosecutors" would remind the American people again and again of all the worst stuff Trump has done, most of which has long been forgotten because it is so quickly replaced with other scandals. Remember when Trump went around the usual DOJ process to pardon Sheriff Joe for being a racist felon?  You will now, and so will the rest of America. Remember when Rex Tillerson said in his media exit interviews that Trump repeatedly asked him to break the law as Secretary of State? Ever wonder what exactly Trump asked him to do? Wonder no more!  There's literally dozens of things like this.

It will be brutal, not only for Trump but for the people who have to vote against impeachment and removal after all that stuff is aired and re-aired in the most prominent and public way imaginable.

And how does impeaching him punish him for breaking the law? When there is exactly a zero point zero chance of him being removed from office?
Because this:

Kind of getting the feeling that people think impeachment is just an up or down vote the House decides to have one day, and then another vote the Senate decided to have on a different day.

There would be lots and lots of hearings, all of which would be more closely watched than any previous hearings in the Trump era, even the Cohen and Comey testimony. There would be carefully crafted Articles of Impeachment that would be reprinted on the front page of every newspaper in America and analyzed to death on every TV news program. Then there would be an even more closely watched trial in the Senate where the "prosecutors" would remind the American people again and again of all the worst stuff Trump has done, most of which has long been forgotten because it is so quickly replaced with other scandals. Remember when Trump went around the usual DOJ process to pardon Sheriff Joe for being a racist felon?  You will now, and so will the rest of America. Remember when Rex Tillerson said in his media exit interviews that Trump repeatedly asked him to break the law as Secretary of State? Ever wonder what exactly Trump asked him to do? Wonder no more!  There's literally dozens of things like this.

It will be brutal, not only for Trump but for the people who have to vote against impeachment and removal after all that stuff is aired and re-aired in the most prominent and public way imaginable.
Also, again, you don't impeach because you think it will work out for you politically.

You impeach because Trump broke the law and it's your constitutional duty to impeach.

While this is the truth, it’s not the whole truth. I don’t come to this POV in a vacuum. 

There are 3 modern scandals before this one  which people at the time believed rose to the level of impeachment: Watergate, Iran-Contra, and Lewinskygate. In each of those the President’s political party was generally opposed but at least some were open to the idea of following the investigation wherever it went. Not in this case. From the beginning, Republicans in Congress have expressed their utter contempt and total opposition to any investigation. They have actively aided Trump in his obstruction. They have made it impossible for the congress to fulfill its constitutional duties. 

In other words, it is Republicans who have turned this into a wholly political matter. I simply accept things as they are. 
And I don't...and those people should be exposed for playing politics in the manner they have been.

Because this:

Also, again, you don't impeach because you think it will work out for you politically.

You impeach because Trump broke the law and it's your constitutional duty to impeach.
While it may be true that you don't impeach purely for political reasons, in this desperate time, you don't do anything that improves this lying criminal's chance of getting reelected.

That being said, I am not dead-set against impeachment. I may change my mind after Mueller testifies in front of congress. Not that it would change the opinion of the 35% hardcore Trump fans who would stick by him regardless of what he did. But Mueller is a widely respected figure amongst the huge percentage of the country who actually think freely and aren't a slave to a particular party. His testimony could be damaging enough that no amount of  Trump spin can mend the wounds. Once I think a failed removal won't help Trump, then I'll be aboard the impeachment train.

I strongly agree with all of this.  Impeachment hearings give Democrats the chance to build their case (which is an easy case to make) and should ramp up pressure on Republicans in both chambers.  If Republicans are really willing to go to the mattresses to protect Trump, make them do so.  

I strongly agree with all of this.  Impeachment hearings give Democrats the chance to build their case (which is an easy case to make) and should ramp up pressure on Republicans in both chambers.  If Republicans are really willing to go to the mattresses to protect Trump, make them do so.  
This is what I want documented.  Long term, this is what matters to me.  Trump being removed from the last year-ish of his term doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Couldn't Democrats build their case through hearings (and maybe another investigation) instead of building it through impeachment?

Clinton was seemingly not hurt by his impeachment coming in his second term (and was not removed by the democrat controlled senate). He did spend a lot of energy and time on it though and IIRC didn't accomplish much even after. Gore didn't seem to benefit, though
Republicans left 2000 in control of the Presidency and both the Senate and the house. Which also led to loss of the supreme court.  

Remember when his supporters regularly referred to him as an Alpha? Haven't heard him called that much lately.  Even they realize he's a hypersensitive coward.

Turns out that Mueller proved Michelle Wolf was justified in roasting SHS:

“I actually really like Sarah. I think she’s very resourceful. But she burns facts and then she uses that ash to create a perfect smokey eye. Like maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s lies. It’s probably lies.” 

Not surprising. The way Obama drug him through the mud with his Lil Jon, Meat Loaf beating makes Trump hesitant to ever expose himself like that again.  That was brutal.

Is that real? Or a parody?  It's at the point where you can't tell the difference between Trump supporters' propaganda and people mocking Trump supporters.
It's real.  Some guy I'm friends with on Facebook posts crap like this a few times a day.  It's amazing how many people think like this in the bass fishing community.  They are very far right in their thinking.

It's real.  Some guy I'm friends with on Facebook posts crap like this a few times a day.  It's amazing how many people think like this in the bass fishing community.  They are very far right in their thinking.
I see what you mean, but as a counterpoint, is it amazing how many people think like this in the bass fishing community?

Also, Mslm sounds like Super Amway.

I see what you mean, but as a counterpoint, is it amazing how many people think like this in the bass fishing community?

Maybe it's more amazing that I enjoy many of the same hobbies as them and don't think like they do.  The people who enjoy the outdoors, hunting and fishing are general far right leaning.  Many are veterans as well.  I'm kind of the turd in the punch bowl when I go to bass fishing tourneys.

McJose said:
 Murder, robbery, rape, adultery and incest will be openly taught and practiced, the air will be rent with the cries of the distressed, the soil will be soaked with blood and the nation black with crimes. Are you prepared to see your dwellings in flames? Female chastity violated? Children writhing on the pike?
You forgot Dogs and Cats living together

Remember how it was scaled down then canceled and Trump intervened?  What are the odds he told them to lie about their intentions to and not worry about it?  
https://www.apnews.com/770b061f416449aeb41b5e469ec2d92a

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers said in a letter his office released Tuesday that Foxconn Technology Group approached the state last month about wanting to renegotiate its contract for a project that could yield the global electronics giant more than $4 billion in state and local tax credits.

Here we go, the state is deep in expenses on this project already and now comes Foxconn wanting to change things.  There are massive amounts of work going on by the state and county for road expansion, water and utility improvements, property acquisitions, etc.  Some estimates are that the village/state have already spent upwards of $300M on this project but with the hopes this comes fully to fruition.  The amount of housing that has been knocked down for property to give to Foxconn has been mind boggling.   Just the other day the city has passed an ordinance to widen a county highway from 2 lanes to 4 lanes with a 30 foot median, essentially annexing 125 feet of land from the front of peoples property.  The big problem with this is there will now be a major thoroughfare closer to peoples homes essentially wiping out the values of the homes/property.  Local Republicans Vos and Fitzgerald are seizing the opportunity to say this is all on the Governor when in actuality he is trying to protect the state and local municipality from getting deeper in dept on this project.  The original contract has the village of mount Pleasant spending upwards of $750M on this project, if this blows up now it will be much better than blowing up when they are at the $750M mark.

Trump is heading to Green Bay soon, I worry he gets his hands involved further and continues to put pressure on local politicians to continue to move forward with this project so he can say he is developing this so called unicorn of 13,000 jobs.  If Trump wants this to move forward, he needs have the federal government involved to cover any losses the village will feel. 

Hawkeye21 said:
I fish for walleye down low and trout up in the hills. 

Henry Ford said:

Around 30 years ago my wife meet a couple, attractive, forward, very friendly.  The invited us over.  My wife sort of thought they were looking to swing but then again, maybe they were just friendly.  When we got there they tried to give us the Amway pitch.  We were not buying.

The President thinks he can appeal impeachment proceedings to the Supreme Court:

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

The Mueller Report, despite being written by Angry Democrats and Trump Haters, and with unlimited money behind it ($35,000,000), didn’t lay a glove on me. I DID NOTHING WRONG. If the partisan Dems ever tried to Impeach, I would first head to the U.S. Supreme Court. Not only......
On the one hand, it seems hard to describe this man and the people who think he should be president without risking a banning.

But on the the hand, the English language has no greater insult than simple describing people as "Donald Trump" and "people who think Donald Trump should be president." No pejorative can do justice to this.

Hawkeye21 said:
Maybe it's more amazing that I enjoy many of the same hobbies as them and don't think like they do.  The people who enjoy the outdoors, hunting and fishing are general far right leaning.  Many are veterans as well.  I'm kind of the turd in the punch bowl when I go to bass fishing tourneys.
I feel for you, my hobbies/interest align with people that are far right leaning also. 

I feel for you, my hobbies/interest align with people that are far right leaning also. 
I rarely ever talk about politics outside of forums like this.  I don't care to bring that into my personal life and the people I know that feel the need to bring it up often are not ones I hang out with very much.

The President thinks he can appeal impeachment proceedings to the Supreme Court:
What, you expect the President of the United States to know how the government works?

Stop being a hater.

Obama probably would've made the same mistake. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Pence would be no doozy there. RBG has to hang on to 2021
According to Mitch's standards we only have to wait till next spring becasue then we won't fill it till the next election. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

We know that goblin would fill that seat and laugh in our faces about hypocrisy. 

Around 30 years ago my wife meet a couple, attractive, forward, very friendly.  The invited us over.  My wife sort of thought they were looking to swing but then again, maybe they were just friendly.  When we got there they tried to give us the Amway pitch.  We were not buying.
Haha. I’ve been ambushed with 2 Amway pitches in my life. Both times I was embarrassingly blind to how vague and non-committal they were regarding intent. Very annoyed with the second pitch at the time as it was an older couple we were very close to socially, like best friends almost, played tennis with the guy every weekend and did tons of drinking with both. They totally took advantage.

My wife and I were in Vegas with another couple. As we are in the elevator, 3 fairly good looking guys got on.

My wife at the time, ever the jokester, so "Oooh I like the odds".

Awkward silence,  then one of the guys leaned in and said"Have you ever heard of Amway?"  :lmao:

I suggest mountain biking. Afterwards you end up hanging with interesting fit people recovery-drinking delicious high ABV beer and end up too exhausted and drunk to bring up politics.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread