What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's different down South, I really think. I've heard lynch tossed around up North for metaphorical things since I was a kid. I dunno...that's just my experience. 
Good thing the South seceded then, so Teump no longer has to worry about Southerners among his voters.....

I'm not trying to be snide; I'm just missing your humor on this one. Over my head or something.
Dude, the orange one has to speak for all so not an excuse he may be from the north where meaning of and use of the term lynching may be less severe, than in say, South Carolina (from where Lindsay Graham hails)

Dude, the orange one has to speak for all so not an excuse he may be from the north where meaning of and use of the term lynching may be less severe, than in say, South Carolina (from where Lindsay Graham hails)
Oh, I see. Well that doesn't leave much room for colloquial language, then. Rather formal, maybe even presidential tones and a narrow vocabulary are required is I guess what you're saying. I'm willing to give differing regions and differing cultures their native tongue, but other's mileage may vary on that.

Secession seems like an odd leap to make that point somehow, though. But regardless. I'll let it rest. 

It's different down South, I really think. I've heard lynch tossed around up North for metaphorical things since I was a kid. I dunno...that's just my experience. 
Same here.  When I hear the term "lynching" or "lynch mob," the first mental image that pops into my head is something like this.  Obviously I understand intellectually that lynching was a major part of racial terrorism throughout the south (and not exactly alien to the north), but it's always going to be an old west thing first for me.

Same here.  When I hear the term "lynching" or "lynch mob," the first mental image that pops into my head is something like this.  Obviously I understand intellectually that lynching was a major part of racial terrorism throughout the south (and not exactly alien to the north), but it's always going to be an old west thing first for me.
Yeah, when I think of "lynch mobs," it's usually of the academic shouting down variety. It's a total metaphor. Of course, if one asks where that metaphor comes from, then it's likely not prudent to use the words at all. I'm just saying it's like water off a duck's ### to me. 

Didn’t Jerry Falwell come from Lynchburg, VA? I always found that to be an unfortunate name for a town. 
There's a pre-made alcohol beverage called Lynchburg Lemonade. It comes in bottles. Falwell, well, I have no idea what he comes in. 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Zow
Down here everyone has seen someone’s family pictures from going to a lynching.  You don’t tie a noose in Louisiana without meaning it that way these days. 

I obviously can't speak for them, but for me, my walk with Christ is based on the knowledge that this is a relationship, not a religion. A religion to me is based on ritual, generally doesn't change things, and usually is ceremonial. My faith doesn't fall under that, since it's about relationship, it changes over time. No two things are exactly the same, I could even read the same Bible verse at two different times, and I might get different practical advice both times(Proverbs 18:6 has helped me out a few times). A modern example for me to describe it is the difference between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. The former hasn't changed since Jefferson wrote it, whereas the latter is still being amended from time to time. It's a living document, as it were.
:goodposting:   This is me as well...in my experience, the more "religious" one professes to be, the less Christ-like they are.  Religion surplants relationship...spot on Kal El :thumbup:  

@therickwilson

Republican pollster tells me the drop in Trump's approval is finally noticeably cutting into his GOP numbers.
Rasmussen is showing an approval rating of 44%, which ties his lowest rating since February. FiveThirtyEight is showing a drop to 40.9%, which is a 2 point drop from his recent semi-high, but it's not lower than it was during the shutdown.

It remains to be seen if the drop will be permanent. Trump's approval rating tends to ebb and flow but it never stays in one place.

Looks like Trump was on to something - this is his lawyer in court today:

Judge: If Trump shot someone on 5th Ave., "local authorities couldn’t investigate? They couldn’t do anything about it? ...” 

Trump lawyer: "No."

Judge: "Nothing could be done?...” 

Trump lawyer: “That is correct. That is correct.”

:goodposting:   This is me as well...in my experience, the more "religious" one professes to be, the less Christ-like they are.  Religion surplants relationship...spot on Kal El :thumbup:  
Jesus challenged the religious traditions of the day on the regular. They absolutely hated His guts. I can't help but wonder what He would do if He was teaching today.

I have no doubt you’re a good man who practices what he believes (and believes what he says he does.) In my limited experience that would make you an anomaly among the very religious Christians I know. 
I think that anyone with eyes can see that most people who claim to be Christians don’t practice the teachings they claim to believe.  

I think that anyone with eyes can see that most people who claim to be Christians don’t practice the teachings they claim to believe.  
I've posted this before but seems relevant here.
Our then pre-teen daughter wanted to start attending church with some family members of mine. We practically live across the street from from the church and my wife and I supported it. She became active with the youth group and even wanted to be confirmed. She attended confirmation classes and attended Sunday service most weeks. After her confirmation, the church got a new minister and a lot of the regulars didn't like him. Our daughter stopped going and when we asked why, she said she heard people saying a lot of mean things about the new minister and, in her mind, many people didn't act very "christian". By this time she was 14 and had determined on her own that a lot of Christians just pretend and don't live it.

Chip Franklin

@chipfranklin

Quid pro quo is Latin for "you do me, I do you." Trump's versions a little different. "You do me, go #### yourself."

Anybody else watching the Zuckerberg hearing?  Most representatives are concerned about Libra being used for nefarious purposes.  Others have shown concern about FB taking money for ads that to promote untruths. 

So it was a real eye opener that Andy Barr, Kentucky, biggest concern is the violation of first amendment rights and the ability for Trump to advertise on FB. (I don't remember the exact quote but he did refer to Trump by name.) You know, the same POTUS that has called the media the enemy of people hundreds of times.  He's concerned about FB rejecting misleading ads on the premise of free speech. :mellow:

Anybody else watching the Zuckerberg hearing?  Most representatives are concerned about Libra being used for nefarious purposes.  Others have shown concern about FB taking money for ads that to promote untruths. 

So it was a real eye opener that Andy Barr, Kentucky, biggest concern is the violation of first amendment rights and the ability for Trump to advertise on FB. (I don't remember the exact quote but he did refer to Trump by name.) You know, the same POTUS that has called the media the enemy of people hundreds of times.  He's concerned about FB rejecting misleading ads on the premise of free speech. :mellow:
To be fair, if ads had to be truthful, they'd have to start the entire campaign from scratch

That’s my Rep...

yeah me

So Trump's lawyers are now making a case that the President can shoot someone on the streets and it is okay   :unsure:

Boy we keep finding new examples of white privilege every week huh 

- Political supporters break the law and storm hearings

- Trump refers to members of his own party as "human scum"

- Trump's lawyer claims that Trump is above the law

- Trump lifts sanctions on Turkey after a week.

That's today.

- Political supporters break the law and storm hearings

- Trump refers to members of his own party as "human scum"

- Trump's lawyer claims that Trump is above the law

- Trump lifts sanctions on Turkey after a week.

That's today.
Sake good order bolded is not the traditional pardoning of the turkey at thanksgiving (in case someone isn't paying attention)

Looks like Trump was on to something - this is his lawyer in court today:

Judge: If Trump shot someone on 5th Ave., "local authorities couldn’t investigate? They couldn’t do anything about it? ...” 

Trump lawyer: "No."

Judge: "Nothing could be done?...” 

Trump lawyer: “That is correct. That is correct.”
Wait, this really happened?

Why does the media always say mean things about Trump? Where's the good press?? So much bias.
Fox News version:

- Unfair Democrat secret meeting exposed and disrupted by Patriotic Republicans

- President recognizes that Judas Republicans deserve waterfront homes

- President's lawyers educate liberal judges regarding the unfettered extent of executive privilege

- US will no longer waste time or money enforcing sanctions on Turkey

Better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread