What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (15 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly spot on. We are in the twilight zone, it’s surreal and I can’t wrap my mind around it except to draw one inescapable (but now unmentionable) conclusion. There is no right/wrong any more. Just list a bunch of reasons why “the good loving people” (my quotes, not quoting anyone else) everyone knows voted for this man and bam, insta-justification.

Maybe Russia/Poland/Hungary/the mob isn’t so bad after all. Shame on this country (those it applies to). 
"We're Ravagers, we got a code!" 

"Yeah, and that code is "steal from everybody."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarah Huckabee being clueless about Biden's stuttering problem (I have to believe her on this at least) is just indicative of her general incompetence. The awfulness isn't unrelated but it's really just indicative of how not learning and knowing things is part and parcel of the current GOP ideology.
When I was a kid, some of us did and said awful things to kids who might have had some issues similar to Joe's stuttering. I'm really ashamed of myself for that time in my life. But sometimes it seems like people such as Sarah Huck really miss those days when they could beat on the less fortunate.

Trump and Huckabee's recent actions remind me of a quote that I once heard. I can't remember it exactly, so I'm paraphrasing: It takes a lot of courage to grow up. Some people never find the strength to do it.

It's so weird to me that public figures are willing and ready to participate in social media this way.  Pushing aside Huck’s obvious insult and stupid apology, don’t they know everything will be over scrutinized and they will be wrong every time according to somebody?

It's so weird to me that public figures are willing and ready to participate in social media this way.  Pushing aside Huck’s obvious insult and stupid apology, don’t they know everything will be over scrutinized and they will be wrong every time according to somebody?
It may not seem like it at first thought but some people can win themselves lots of new fans by being kind and considerate to others on twitter. If you are a powerful person, being decent to those who deserve it is a very likable thing to many twitterers.

Isn't it neat how "counter puncher" seems to be an catch all for any atrocious behavior in the world. 

Have try it and see how that works out with the wife.

If it doesn't I'll go with other Trump excuse classics like, "he was only joking geez get a sense of humor", or "what he really meant was", or "he is just inexperienced in Washington". Any others I'm missing?   

Isn't it neat how "counter puncher" seems to be an catch all for any atrocious behavior in the world. 

Have try it and see how that works out with the wife.

If it doesn't I'll go with other Trump excuse classics like, "he was only joking geez get a sense of humor", or "what he really meant was", or "he is just inexperienced in Washington". Any others I'm missing?   
It also implies that he's the victim and is only defending himself.

When I was a kid, some of us did and said awful things to kids who might have had some issues similar to Joe's stuttering. I'm really ashamed of myself for that time in my life. But sometimes it seems like people such as Sarah Huck really miss those days when they could beat on the less fortunate.
We were awful kids and I mean criminally awful and not even teenagers yet.  I'm proud we never picked on the few kids that were different than us.  However I'm deeply saddened that I didn't realize how much they could have used a friend. 

Sarah Huckabee being clueless about Biden's stuttering problem (I have to believe her on this at least) is just indicative of her general incompetence. The awfulness isn't unrelated but it's really just indicative of how not learning and knowing things is part and parcel of the current GOP ideology.
I give her credit for what seems like a sincere apology. 

Hey look.  A pretend sincere question.  I hope you get the answer you deserve. 
Totally disagree.

When someone says something as trolling and snarky as  "I can think of no more of an appropriate location for the Trump presidential library than a trailer park ", respectfully not assuming more and asking what he means is exactly the right response. 

What exactly do you mean by that squstion?

Jokes aside, that trailer park looks pretty nice.  I do wonder how it doesn't just get destroyed when a hurricane comes through.  Probably don't want your library built somewhere somewhere so susceptible to rising sea levels....if you be believe in that type of thing.

Jokes aside, that trailer park looks pretty nice.  I do wonder how it doesn't just get destroyed when a hurricane comes through.  Probably don't want your library built somewhere somewhere so susceptible to rising sea levels....if you be believe in that type of thing.
Given that Trump likes a good deal and doesn't believe in climate change that would be a fantastic location to place his crayon coloring facility

It’s the linchpin of conservative support for Trump. Memories of sweet times when “they” could be properly laughed at, punished, ignored and the “right people” had all the power.  

It’s the linchpin of conservative support for Trump. Memories of sweet times when “they” could be properly laughed at, punished, ignored and the “right people” had all the power.  
I completely disagree with that accusation and think it's an unfair insult and generalization of Trump voters. To suggest intentional cruelty is a linchpin of why people vote for him is not just wrong, but offensive. And a huge part of why we get to this point where incorrect accusations escalate confrontation. Accusations like yours are why it's so difficult to have reasonable conversations. Please be better. 

I completely disagree with that accusation and think it's an unfair insult and generalization of Trump voters. To suggest intentional cruelty is a linchpin of why people vote for him is not just wrong, but offensive. And a huge part of why we get to this point where incorrect accusations escalate confrontation. Accusations like yours are why it's so difficult to have reasonable conversations. Please be better. 
I fully agree with this. But I do have a question: 

A lot of very smart people have made the argument that one major reason for Trump’s support in 2016 is a fear among white people that they will soon be a minority in this country. Do you believe this point of view has merit? 

Cruelty Is The Point is a working hypothesis forwarded by some to explain a significant component of Trump's appeal to a not insignificant number of people. It's not something posters here have concocted on their own. I'm not sure I completely agree with it, however some points made do seem accurate. I invite you to consider what's been said on that topic, it might give a bit more context to posts such as the one you're reacting to here.

I believe SHS when she says that she didn't realize Biden's history of overcoming stuttering when she sent that tweet.  I think she just went for an easy insult.  My guess was that she was appropriately mortified when she was educated about his history. 

Cruelty Is The Point is a working hypothesis forwarded by some to explain a significant component of Trump's appeal to a not insignificant number of people. It's not something posters here have concocted on their own. I'm not sure I completely agree with it, however some points made do seem accurate. I invite you to consider what's been said on that topic, it might give a bit more context to posts such as the one you're reacting to here.
Thanks. I remember reading when it came out and I just completely don't buy it. I think trying to link a sick photo of a guy smiling in a lynching to current Trump voters is too big a reach.

I'm not denying there are sick people out there who do find joy in cruelty to humans or animals. I call those people psychopaths. 

I think it's just miles out of line to try and normalize that kind of sick behavior. When one says, "It’s the linchpin of conservative support for Trump. Memories of sweet times when “they” could be properly laughed at, punished, ignored and the “right people” had all the power." (emphasis mine), I think it's a disgusting accusation that shuts down real conversation. 

Okay Joe. But I think you’re wildly missing what a good part of the country is really like. 

I mean what part of the savage history of this nation has been magically exorcised? If you’re black and have grey hair on you head there were times you could get arrested or worse for eating at the wrong counter, saying the wrong thing to a woman, walking in the wrong sidewalk. It’s naive to think that’s all gone. 

I fully agree with this. But I do have a question: 

A lot of very smart people have made the argument that one major reason for Trump’s support in 2016 is a fear among white people that they will soon be a minority in this country. Do you believe this point of view has merit? 
I've heard this but don't really have a sense for if it has any real traction. I don't think any of my Trump friends feel like this at all. But of course that's a small sample.

Thanks. I remember reading when it came out and I just completely don't buy it. I think trying to link a sick photo of a guy smiling in a lynching to current Trump voters is too big a reach.

I'm not denying there are sick people out there who do find joy in cruelty to humans or animals. I call those people psychopaths. 

I think it's just miles out of line to try and normalize that kind of sick behavior. When one says, "It’s the linchpin of conservative support for Trump. Memories of sweet times when “they” could be properly laughed at, punished, ignored and the “right people” had all the power." (emphasis mine), I think it's a disgusting accusation that shuts down real conversation. 
I don't think the point of mentioning the people in the photos reacting to lynching was to make a direct connection between that and Trump supporters. The point was, the thing you're saying isn't happening, cruelty on a wide scale and as an integral part of certain widely adopted belief systems, does happen, and has happened. And that it may be happening now, though in different ways. I know you don't want to believe this is true, but there is enough evidence to suggest it may be a consideration.

I know your contention is the Trump voters you know are all good, nice, caring, intelligent people in most areas of their lives. The question I ask of them, and of you, by way of explanation of how that can co-exist with support for Trump is - why Trump? Why not some other Conservative/Republican? What's special about Trump that merits support of him as their representative in particular? Especially now for those who continue to support him now that we have additional, ample, almost constant, demonstrations of what a lousy person he is broadcasted through all media on all platforms on a daily basis from the largest stage in the world? Evidence of his repugnance is unavoidable. I don't think you can rule out that his odious traits might actually be part of his appeal to a decent number of his supporters.

Conservative policy today is for gays and lesbians to have fewer rights than others. They should be able to fire them, deprive them of marriage civil rights, deprive them of services at their places of business. Right now. 

How is that not hand in glove with what I said? 

I mean what part of the savage history of this nation has been magically exorcised? If you’re black and have grey hair on you head there were times you could get arrested or worse for eating at the wrong counter, saying the wrong thing to a woman, walking in the wrong sidewalk. It’s naive to think that’s all gone. 
Absolutely. Racism is still with us unfortunately and you're 100% right it wasn't that long ago when people of color faced huge legal things like you list. 

I think that's far different though than saying intentional cruelty is the key reason for why people will vote for Trump. 

Interesting exchange.  I have used the phrase "cruelty is the point" before, but did not realize it was linked to claims about Trump supporters themselves.  I use it to mean policies proposed by people like Trump, Miller, and Bannon which lay bare their fundamental lack of empathy IMO.  Probably need to be more careful about that.

I don't think the point of mentioning the people in the photos reacting to lynching was to make a direct connection between that and Trump supporters. The point was, the thing you're saying isn't happening, cruelty on a wide scale and as an integral part of certain widely adopted belief systems, does happen, and has happened. And that it may be happening now, though in different ways. I know you don't want to believe this is true, but there is enough evidence to suggest it may be a consideration.

I know your contention is the Trump voters you know are all good, nice, caring, intelligent people in most areas of their lives. The question I ask of them, and of you, by way of explanation of how that can co-exist with support for Trump is - why Trump? Why not some other Conservative/Republican? What's special about Trump that merits support of him as their representative in particular? Especially now for those who continue to support him now that we have additional, ample, almost constant, demonstrations of what a lousy person he is broadcasted through all media on all platforms on a daily basis from the largest stage in the world? Evidence of his repugnance is unavoidable. I don't think you can rule out that his odious traits might actually be part of his appeal to a decent number of his supporters.
Anecdotally, pre-election I spent most of my internet time on different boards. The number one reason people supported Trump was “He says what he thinks”. It was some kind of bizarro-world anti-pc backlash. Regardless of what he said, the virtue was in saying it.

Forgive me for my conclusions.

Thanks. Most of the guys I know who voted for Trump were Rubio supporters in the primary. Our extremely popular Republican governor, Bill Haslam, called for Trump to drop out of the race when the "grab them" tapes were released. 

I know that may not fit the narrative, but that's my experience. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread