Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gussy

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last!

Two outcomes this November, please tell me how this analysis is wrong: 1) Trump wins and Democratic skeptics claim that misinformation if not actual ballot tampering affected the election to the point to render it unreliable...or 2) a Democrat wins and Trump (with some cronies) claim that the election was rigged, rendering the results unreliable. Then what?

23 minutes ago, pecorino said:

Two outcomes this November, please tell me how this analysis is wrong: 1) Trump wins and Democratic skeptics claim that misinformation if not actual ballot tampering affected the election to the point to render it unreliable...or 2) a Democrat wins and Trump (with some cronies) claim that the election was rigged, rendering the results unreliable. Then what?

If Trump loses its very likely he doesn’t leave the White House peacefully

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

21 minutes ago, joffer said:

Where do you come up with this?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, joffer said:

Example c of the constant over the top and hyperbolic posts.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

Example c of the constant over the top and hyperbolic posts.  

Im assuming example B is referring to the Ukranian investigation and subsequent impeachment as a "sham".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moleculo said:

Im assuming example B is referring to the Ukranian investigation and subsequent impeachment as a "sham".

Negative.

2 hours ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Adam Schiff‏ @AdamSchiff 16s17 seconds ago

Trump promised not to touch Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid.

His budget cuts them all.

It also cuts affordable housing, education and the EPA.

Promises made.

Promises broken.

:(

And those are the numbers with fictions 3% growth every year for 10 years.  

• Like 2

This just makes me sad. Not because I care about the sentence Roger Stone gets - I generally believe prison sentences are far too long in this country.

But I reckon this is a purely political move. Which means Trumpism - thanks to Barr - has taken over the DOJ. And that makes me sad.

DOJ expected to scale back Roger Stone's 'extreme' sentencing recommendation: official

The Department of Justice is preparing to change its sentencing recommendation for Roger Stone after top brass were "shocked" at the stiff prison term initially being sought, according to a senior DOJ official.

“The Department was shocked to see the sentencing recommendation in the filing in the stone case last night,” the official told Fox News. “The sentencing recommendation was not what had been briefed to the Department.”

In documents filed on Monday evening, prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Washington recommended Stone serve 87 to 108 months after being convicted of lying to Congress and witness tampering. The department is now expected to scale that back.

“The Department finds seven to nine years extreme, excessive and grossly disproportionate to Mr. Stone’s offenses,” the source told Fox News, adding that the DOJ will clarify its position on sentencing later Tuesday.

9 minutes ago, whoknew said:

This just makes me sad. Not because I care about the sentence Roger Stone gets - I generally believe prison sentences are far too long in this country.

But I reckon this is a purely political move. Which means Trumpism - thanks to Barr - has taken over the DOJ. And that makes me sad.

DOJ expected to scale back Roger Stone's 'extreme' sentencing recommendation: official

The Department of Justice is preparing to change its sentencing recommendation for Roger Stone after top brass were "shocked" at the stiff prison term initially being sought, according to a senior DOJ official.

“The Department was shocked to see the sentencing recommendation in the filing in the stone case last night,” the official told Fox News. “The sentencing recommendation was not what had been briefed to the Department.”

In documents filed on Monday evening, prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Washington recommended Stone serve 87 to 108 months after being convicted of lying to Congress and witness tampering. The department is now expected to scale that back.

“The Department finds seven to nine years extreme, excessive and grossly disproportionate to Mr. Stone’s offenses,” the source told Fox News, adding that the DOJ will clarify its position on sentencing later Tuesday.

There must be an in group that the law protects but does not bind, and an out group that the law binds but does not protect. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 10:22 PM, joffer said:

I don't think Trump doesn't leave the WH peacefully.

I think though that Trump will tweet something to the effect that "If he didn't want to leave the WH....Americans would support that and that they are begging him to stay". 

28 minutes ago, whoknew said:

He's going to get pardoned anyway.

On 2/9/2020 at 9:57 PM, pecorino said:

Been saying this for a long time now.  I think you're dead on.

31 minutes ago, whoknew said:

If anything they should add extra years for wearing those glasses. They look like the glasses 5 year olds draw on stick figures. 

Taking their cue from the Senate, the whitewash is on and nothing is out of bounds. The news of Barr getting involved in the Stone and Flynn cases really warms my heart.  Soon all of these illegal deeds will be cleansed to portray these men as patriots working tirelessly to fight for the real truth as put forward by Our Dear Leader.   Manafort, Gates, Papa, and Igor are all in play, but Cohen, Lev, and Gates will rot because they squealed.  Secret, off the record, meetings between Putin and Trump are big nothings because Russia is now our friend.  Russia is just helping us with our elections as it lines Rudy's pockets with gold.  Nothing to be alarmed about, so long as it doesn't concern Hillary's email server.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Steve Tasker said:

Disagree. If Trump taught us anything, it’s that the Executive Branch has way too much power and holds all the cards once the election is certified. The losers can complain and bark all they want. More than ever, if you’re elected you can do virtually anything and it can be tied up in courts for years. Meanwhile, what’s going to happen, you’re impeached? No one, left or right, will he convicted by the 2/3 of Senate, murder included.

Remedy would be a reform of Presidential power, but good luck getting that through Congress.

41 minutes ago, Steve Tasker said:

Thanks, but I can’t get an answer to my question: then what? Does any grievance fall on deaf ears, does it go to the Suprene Court, does Trump declare a national emergency and claim that these results can’t stand because they’re in question? I see a lot of potential for gray and not a lot of good recourses.

1 hour ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

He's going to get pardoned anyway.

I know. To me this is just worse because he's corrupting the DOJ. And the DOJ is supposed to be independent. And stand for something - for justice. I know they fail that. But I guess deep down I'm just a dumb idealist lawyer.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, pecorino said:

Thanks, but I can’t get an answer to my question: then what? Does any grievance fall on deaf ears, does it go to the Suprene Court, does Trump declare a national emergency and claim that these results can’t stand because they’re in question? I see a lot of potential for gray and not a lot of good recourses.

Rince, repeat, and do it again in 4 years.  The winning side will go deaf ears, regardless of party.  I don't think any of them really care.  Just changes their strategies.

2 hours ago, whoknew said:

I agree with @fatguyinalittlecoat that he would be pardoned.  Still it's very troubling how Trump and his minions can break the law without consequence.

5 minutes ago, Dickies said:

Wasn’t the one I responded to just resigning from his role in DC and going back to Baltimore?

Yes, going back to Baltimore, but they are not normal occurrences.  So, two of the four that signed yesterday are left in the wake of the DOJ override.  

ETA: Second one resigned as an Assistant US Attorney, so I think he resigned completely.

Edited by Don Quixote
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dickies said:

Wasn’t the one I responded to just resigning from his role in DC and going back to Baltimore?

I don't know that that's clear. It doesn't seem clear from his resignation. 

Either way, the timing, the immediacy, and the footnote all suggest a noisy withdrawal. And then couple that with the second resignation, it certainly appears these are withdrawals for a reason. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pecorino said:

I'm pretty sure the loser can sue and it will be fast-tracked to the SC who will rule on it and that will be final.    The winner will be sworn in as the next President on 1/20/21.   If Trump were to refuse to move out of the White House (as some people have suggested) he would be physically removed by the Secret Service at that time.

12 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I don't know that that's clear. It doesn't seem clear from his resignation. 

Either way, the timing, the immediacy, and the footnote all suggest a noisy withdrawal. And then couple that with the second resignation, it certainly appears these are withdrawals for a reason. 

The wording of the footnote suggests he had only resigned from the DC office. Whether he still has a place in the Maryland office is unclear. The second prosecutor wasn’t detailed, so his resignation was from DOJ as a whole. 

Time to rename it the DOI.

Special channels for our president's personal lawyer to pass in conspiracy theories, our president overriding our nations laws on behalf of his buddy on trial because of his criminal actions to help cover up for Trump?

God.  What the hell has happened to our country?  Used to we had plenty of folks who would stand up against such overreach...damn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pecorino said:

I don't know the answer.

54 minutes ago, whoknew said:

A second prosecutor has resigned.

And its a big deal because these are noisy withdrawals. 

Holy ####. I was going to comment earlier today when I initially read about the public statements on the state’s sentencing recommendations that if I were the assigned prosecutor I’d be furious. 

Apparently that would have been an understatement. 

• Thanks 1

Why not just pardon Stone already? There's no such thing as "political fallout" from anything Trump does anymore. Anything goes! 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dickies said:

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but this seems like no big deal to me

This didn’t age well. 

• Like 3
  • Laughing 5

38 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Really puts an exclamation point on how corrupt our government has become doesn't it.  

ETA Guessing there's no way to get rid of Barr either with this senate, correct? 

Edited by Sheriff Bart
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Really puts an exclamation point on how corrupt our government has become doesn't it.  

I honestly can’t speak to how corrupt this appears or is but it’s seems incredible to me that someone can’t look at this and at least question what has happened.  Four lawyers (I’m assuming career lawyers) don’t just do this unless there something deeply concerning going on.  @Henry Ford @Zow - am I wrong here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

We have Nixon back in office. Only way fatter.

3 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I honestly can’t speak to how corrupt this appears or is but it’s seems incredible to me that someone can’t look at this and at least question what has happened.  Four lawyers (I’m assuming career lawyers) don’t just do this unless there something deeply concerning going on.  @Henry Ford @Zow - am I wrong here?

Because they are members of the "I DON'T CARE" party.

38 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

You are not wrong. 

• Like 1

@ShimonPro: Trump has withdrawn the nomination of Jessie Liu to serve as the Treasury Department's undersecretary for terrorism and financial crimes, three sources confirm to CNN. Liu headed the US attorney office that oversaw the prosecution and conviction of Trump associate Roger Stone.

14 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

@ShimonPro: Trump has withdrawn the nomination of Jessie Liu to serve as the Treasury Department's undersecretary for terrorism and financial crimes, three sources confirm to CNN. Liu headed the US attorney office that oversaw the prosecution and conviction of Trump associate Roger Stone.

This is crazy.

16 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

This is crazy.

What the guy currently trying to actively rig elections might say in term 2, “I spent the first term making it completely clear that to serve me you must abandon the American system and be completely corrupt.”

19 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

This is crazy.

Retaliatory firings, soliciting election interference from foreign governments, attacks on the intelligence agencies, corruptly influencing the justice process on behalf of his friends, setting up channels in the DOJ for his personal attorney to funnel conspiracy theories to the AG...

I could go on and on.

And the Republicans are just peachy keen with all of this because they keep their power.  They'll say nothing to Trump on these abuses.

This is the start of behavior that leads to a revolution or uprising.  These are the activities of an authoritarian.  Trump truly is a threat to our country.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, adonis said:

Retaliatory firings, soliciting election interference from foreign governments, attacks on the intelligence agencies, corruptly influencing the justice process on behalf of his friends, setting up channels in the DOJ for his personal attorney to funnel conspiracy theories to the AG...

I could go on and on.

And the Republicans are just peachy keen with all of this because they keep their power.  They'll say nothing to Trump on these abuses.

This is the start of behavior that leads to a revolution or uprising.  These are the activities of an authoritarian.  Trump truly is a threat to our country.

He really dictates the laws doesn't he. 

Elizabeth Warren:

"On a day when career prosecutors showed more backbone than almost every Republican senator standing up to this president, Americans ... are gravely concerned about the corruption of a Trump Justice Dept. that abandons the rule of law ... Roger Stone, I'm looking at you."

:yes:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

He really dictates the laws doesn't he. 

He's getting awfully close to being able to dictate which laws are followed and which aren't and how they're followed.

He may not have full control at this point or ever, but he should have no control.  His meddling is a serious threat to the foundations of our country.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2