What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars The Last Jedi Episode 8 thread: this thread sucks, you should avoid it even after you've seen the movie (2 Viewers)

He's not a Sith. He's officially "Master of the Knights of Ren," which suggests very strongly that he's the head of (and the biggest bada$$ in) a new sect of dark Jedi aligned with Snoke and the First Order. Whatever label you want to throw on him, he was trained extensively by Luke and likely also by Snoke and carries the Skywalker bloodline -- he should be able to easily slaughter multiple normal dudes, even if he's immature and not fully trained; see Obi Wan as a Padawan vs battle droids, Luke as a not-yet a Jedi vs. Jabba's guards, Anakin as a Padawan vs. everyone he fought in AOTC. He should have been able to just walk right through Finn any way that you want to slice it.
So everyone in the Knights of Ren gets Ren in their name like all the Sith had Darth?

I know we've already had this pointed out in the last couple of pages, but I can't imagine how anyone watches the Kylo/Finn fight and comes to the conclusion that Finn was "fighting him to a draw."  Kylo was very obviously toying with him the entire time until he let his guard down too much, got nicked in the shoulder, and immediately ended the "fight." 

I swear to God you nerds are so eager to go complain about a movie you don't bother paying attention to it. 

He's incredibly powerful but very raw and lets his emotions interfere with his abilities. Rey appears to be perhaps the most powerful jedi anyone has ever encountered but doesn't yet have any training. Perfectly reasonable to think she can win a small fight, especially if Ren was holding back at all (maybe he sensed they're related, maybe he didn't want to kill a hot chick). 

At the end he was bleeding out. The fact he was fighting at all shows how tough he has the potential to be. 

He's not a scary guy. He knows this. That's part of what is going to cause him to eventually become a terrifying bad guy. We're not watching a finished product like we saw with Vader.
:goodposting:  people complaining about things that aren't in a movie and yet actually are in the movie and beaten over their head is my favorite shtick. 

The emperor was also squaring off against Jedi Masters. It's a viable argument. He was much more advanced, but he was also playing much better competition. 

The Emporer is the New England Patriots of the last 15 years or so. The Jedi Masters are all the other teams in the NFL. The Pats smoke all the Jedi Masters/NFL teams practically every year.

Kylo Ren is a strong college football team. Finn is a Pee Wee football team. Even if Kylo is the University of Delaware, he's smoking the Pee Wee Team. Even if the entire team had a bad day. Was really worked up. If everyone of them owned a dog and that dog had been run over by a car that morning and half the team shot a nail gun into one foot and had to be at the hospital for stitches for half the game, they still beat the pee wee team. 
This is the most Bill Simmonsy thing I've ever read here, even if you replaced Patriots with another team. 

I know we've already had this pointed out in the last couple of pages, but I can't imagine how anyone watches the Kylo/Finn fight and comes to the conclusion that Finn was "fighting him to a draw."  Kylo was very obviously toying with him the entire time until he let his guard down too much, got nicked in the shoulder, and immediately ended the "fight." 
its possible Finn has force powers and doesn't know it.  and we don't know it, yet

I actually think it would be a decent story - if done right - that has Luke not necessarily going dark side, but taking the position that Jedi don't deserve the ability to harness the power of the force and he decides that he has to rid the universe of them.  And the final movie is Rey and Ren teaming up against Luke who becomes that which he loathes so much, but thinking he is doing it for the right reasons.

And then Hollywood would crap on something that could be cool and have some kind of final scene voice over about how the force is in all of us, dark and light, and we are all brothers of kumbaya and whatnot.

Forget that  - just blow up some stuff.

Also, Finn wasn't just some schlub space janitor, in some backstory book that I only read a plot summary of, we learn that he was a top of his class cadet who was reluctant to buy in to the whole massacring innocent people thing. The trooper who dies and smears blood on his helmet was a fellow cadet in his platoon (and major character of said book) that he'd been helping along despite Phasma telling him to let him fail and die to weed out the weak. Jakku was his first mission as a full "Storm Trooper", so I imagine his janitorial duties were from his time as a cadet, which, why wouldn't you make the cadets clean the ####ters?

I actually think it would be a decent story - if done right - that has Luke not necessarily going dark side, but taking the position that Jedi don't deserve the ability to harness the power of the force and he decides that he has to rid the universe of them.  And the final movie is Rey and Ren teaming up against Luke who becomes that which he loathes so much, but thinking he is doing it for the right reasons.

And then Hollywood would crap on something that could be cool and have some kind of final scene voice over about how the force is in all of us, dark and light, and we are all brothers of kumbaya and whatnot.

Forget that  - just blow up some stuff.
And all of them will be hugging and laughing at the end at all the money they just made

Here's another theory after watching that trailer.  What if that's Rey in the Ren armor picking up her lightsaber for the first time? Not Kylo? They are showing us everything

Just checking in. Not reading a thing. Didn't watch the trailer. Gonna get my tickets this week.

Not getting over hyped like I did for TFA.

need2know said:
Here's another theory after watching that trailer.  What if that's Rey in the Ren armor picking up her lightsaber for the first time? Not Kylo? They are showing us everything
Well, I think the trailer is almost certain to be a huge red herring.

We sort of know Leia is going to die, but its probably not Kylo Ren pulling the trigger.  

It does not take too much imagination to think that Ren has a crisis of conscious, while Rey thinks she can master the force and tries to kill Snoke - and ends up lured by the dark side...

Also i wish Daisy Ridley had much much larger breasts
She is really hot. Most likely a "Screamer". :wub:

Kylo Ren is a BMF. Just wait....

Nearly every theater in my immediate area is already sold out for the opening weekend. Straight cash, homie.

Last edited by a moderator:
So there was some other star wars movie that came out in 2016. Was it any good?  How did I never hear about it?  

Spinoff or part of the main story?

Also, Finn wasn't just some schlub space janitor, in some backstory book that I only read a plot summary of, we learn that he was a top of his class cadet who was reluctant to buy in to the whole massacring innocent people thing. The trooper who dies and smears blood on his helmet was a fellow cadet in his platoon (and major character of said book) that he'd been helping along despite Phasma telling him to let him fail and die to weed out the weak. Jakku was his first mission as a full "Storm Trooper", so I imagine his janitorial duties were from his time as a cadet, which, why wouldn't you make the cadets clean the ####ters?
Still just a storm trooper. The guys that can't shoot straight and are just blaster fodder. And I don't care of Ren was dominating the fight that lasted minutes. The fight should've lasted for as long as it took Ren to step within range with that massive light saber and dropped Finn's head at his feet and then released the force hold he had on him. 

Keep trying to explain it away, but there are 8 movies (forgot about Rogue One) that show a Jedi could take out a hundred storm troopers in the time it took Ren to knock out Finn. 

Still just a storm trooper. The guys that can't shoot straight and are just blaster fodder. And I don't care of Ren was dominating the fight that lasted minutes. The fight should've lasted for as long as it took Ren to step within range with that massive light saber and dropped Finn's head at his feet and then released the force hold he had on him. 

Keep trying to explain it away, but there are 8 movies (forgot about Rogue One) that show a Jedi could take out a hundred storm troopers in the time it took Ren to knock out Finn. 
No offense but you sound like someone who does not enjoy these movies.  So why watch them?

No offense but you sound like someone who does not enjoy these movies.  So why watch them?
I enjoy them immensely. Doesn't mean I can't still take issue with parts of them. Do you watch the Phantom Menace without cringing every time you see Jar Jar? Or is blind loyalty to the franchise put him next to Chewbacca in the Pantheon of Star Wars characters for you? 

It's like this. When they were trying to figure out a way for Finn to stall Ren so that Rey could move up the Jedi learning curve a little more, they needed to have something come between them that was not Finn's skill with a saber. "I know, I know. Let's have Finn fight it out with Luke's light saber. So far all he's done is shoot a couple tie fighters, pretend to be Poe Dameron, have to be saved by Rey from a giant space monster, have to be saved by Rey while she pilots the Falcon, and have to be saved by Han Solo and then Poe Dameron from a bunch of storm troopers. Sure, the audience will believe that Ren, who has a half dozen ways to kill Finn with his mind will forget all of those because his leg hurts despite the fact that pain and suffering are supposed to fuel the power of dark force users. Yeah, that would be a great idea. That way we can keep this guy around for the sequel despite the fact he really brings nothing to the plot but diversity."

As soon as Ren turned his attention on Finn, Finn should've been dead. I would rather have Chewie off to the side blasting with his bowcaster to keep him distracted. Or someone in some sort of small fighter or one of those star wars motorcycle type bikes from ROTJ. Anything, but Finn squaring off against arguably the top 3 or 4 most powerful beings in the entire galaxy and, while taking a beating, surviving (not to mention he held his own for many minutes) is beyond laughable. Could've been a small squadron of resistance shooting at Ren from many different angles to keep confused. Anything but that.

Honestly, I think they did it to make everyone think in the trailer that Finn was to be the next Jedi that the force awakened in. That red herring came at the price of a terrible plot hole. 

exactly..  they show padawan learners being able to attack a few storm troopers here and there.

Someone who's in their late teens to 20's and who's a son of a skywalker and who'd received Jedi training from Luke would've taken "Finn" down in 5-7 seconds if he'd wanted... that made their "battle"  very cringe worthy..  very Jar Jar

So Rey is probably Snoke's daughter, right?  Taken from him and hidden on a planet, only to be thrust into the middle of the conflict later.

So Rey is probably Snoke's daughter, right?  Taken from him and hidden on a planet, only to be thrust into the middle of the conflict later.
Yes, but not in the way you think. 

Snoke is a woman.  Luke knocked her up before she got all leathery.  Out popped Baby Rey. Light, yet dark, and oh so powerful.  New breed of gray jedi.

Boom. 

Skipdog77 said:
Yes, but not in the way you think. 

Snoke is a woman.  Luke knocked her up before she got all leathery.  Out popped Baby Rey. Light, yet dark, and oh so powerful.  New breed of gray jedi.

Boom. 
WHOA! Mind blown! 

On a serious note, that would be a great twist, if Snoke was a woman. The rest of that, eh

WHOA! Mind blown! 

On a serious note, that would be a great twist, if Snoke was a woman. The rest of that, eh
Eh, in this day and age, putting women in traditionally male-only roles is en vogue; within 5 years they're probably going to remake the story where all the leads are female except Leia, who will be played by Asa Butterfield.

Eh, in this day and age, putting women in traditionally male-only roles is en vogue; within 5 years they're probably going to remake the story where all the leads are female except Leia, who will be played by Asa Butterfield.
I'm not sure this franchise gets remade as such, but I agree with the bolded. We will see more and more of that. 

Users who are viewing this thread