What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars The Last Jedi Episode 8 thread: this thread sucks, you should avoid it even after you've seen the movie (1 Viewer)

My latest rankings.  As an old guy, star wars junkie who saw the first film 5 times in the theater (there were no VCRs, Netflix, etc those days boys) ... I liked the originals where it was more about plot and locations than CGI and action scenes.  I do have hope that The Last Jedi can crack my top 5.

1) Empire Strikes Back - Outstanding movie. Acted poorly in spots.  But the scenes were great, the locations were great, the plot was great, and the action was great.  Hoth.  Dagobah.  Cloud City.  Luke Vader fight.  Vader was still a bad a$$.

2) Rogue ONE - A phenomenal movie that did an excellent job filling the series plot.  Some of the CGI stunk, but it was only for a few minutes.  I thought Mads Mikkelsen was excellent in his role.

3) A New Hope - The rankings get less clear after the first two. This kicked off the whole series, and was excellent for its time. I can see how the younger generation may not like it.  However, it created all the main characters and had some cool things for 1977.  Obi Wan was a great character in this movie.  The droid were a neat element.  Sand People.  Jawas.  The cantina.  Vader being a bad a$$.

4) Return of the Sith - I think it was very good.  It lacked in spots.  But this is where we really see the Sith Emperor and of course Darth Vader emerge. The dynamic between Anakin and Palpatine is very good.  Why Anakin fell to the dark side  Yoda is solid in this one.  Not what he is in ESB, but still very good.

5) Return of the Jedi - I used to rank this one higher.  Jabba the Hutt is sclassic.  Leia in the outfit was yum for a 14 year old.  Luke meeting the Emperor.  The stupid Ewoks really annoy me now though.  A lot.

6) Attack of the Clones - You know, the plot to this movie is decent.  They hit a lot of places.  I found the fight scenes kind of blurred together.  But it's watchable.

I hated all the rest.  Clone Wars, TFA, PM.   I can hardly remember the characters or scenes.  It's a blur.  Maybe the Pod race.  All the rest of these were terrible

I should add that the Family Guy star wars episodes even rank above those last 3.    Vader: "Luke is on that ship".  Emperor: "Can you sense him?". Vader: "No, I can see him right there through the window"   :D

Best thing about the reviews is they are all saying how surprising and different and unexpected everything is. That’s maybe the thing that has me most excited about seeing it. I.e., sounds like this time we are NOT getting an orphan from a sand planet taking off on a star adventure aboard the millennium falcon with Han and Chewy to exploit a design flaw in a Death Star. 

Very encouraging that this one sounds like it is truly original. 
I at least expect them to follow the general direction of the original three and have the bad guys "win" in this one.

Luke is almost certainly a goner.

I do not know if I can actually say it, but, Rogue One is flipping outstanding and gets better every time I watch it.
Nostalgia kicks in. It's ok to admit it. ESB is the gold standard of the original trilogy. But technology, better writing, better acting all come into play. It's ok. We have a support group every Thursday night on google hangouts (obvs suspended this week).

Yes. It's my opinion.

Its a waaaaaaaaaaaaay better acted movie (seriously ESB has some laughably bad acted scenes), with a truly awesome continuation to ANH and the most exciting 10 minutes in the entire franchise history. They way they tied it all together with a bunch of new characters and the fact they had the balls to kill them off at the end makes it even better.

I know that will never the opinion of the 80s Star Wars crowds that grew up with Empire but I think the generation getting into it now will share that line of thinking.  
ESB

ANH

Rogue One

ROTJ

That's my new order. Rogue is an awesome movie. But Empire Strikes back will never ever be matched. No freaking way. Too many incredible scenes, set pieces and environments. The acting is not nearly as wooden as ANH or ROTJ. It was great for it's time and has stood the test of time. Empire is my go to Star Wars movie forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to be difficult, but this thread has been open for two years. What else is there to talk about once the movie opens? Serious question, what would you come in to post, or expect to read, between the movie opening and when you have seen it? Its the thread about the movie, let’s talk about the movie. We’ll chat you up Saturday night after you seen it. :shrug:  
very solid points.  will avoid thurs-sat.

tommyboy said:
Tony Jabroni said:
I'm serious. I don't want to screw anything up for anyone else. :bag:
Type a left bracket [           ]

Type the word "spoiler" in between the brackets like so:

hi
Edited 14 hours ago by tommyboy
If you want to type after the spoiler, type [/Spoiler] after the text you want in the spoiler, so you get something like this...

Just a test!
See!!

Rogue One IS almost as good as ESB for the very reason that ESB was good in the first place...

It assumes that, even if you're a kid, you're not a moron who needs fart jokes to laugh or have manic, SpongeBob-esque mayhem occurring every second of the show to keep you interested. It's not "boring" to allow the audience to catch it's breath from time to time.

TLJ fills me with trepidation for that reason. I think it's going to be derivative (can't take chances people won't like this!) and hyperactive.

Like seeing R1 getting some love in here.   I seem to often find myself in the minority when ranking it as highly as I do.   The Vader scene is just pure bad###!

CletiusMaximus said:
Had lunch with a guy yesterday - totally normal dude, mid 40's, kids, etc.

Has never seen a Star Wars movie. Completely changed my view of him, not sure what to think now, still trying to comprehend.
That is seriously......####ed up ####. Turn in your man card.......now.

TLJ fills me with trepidation for that reason. I think it's going to be derivative (can't take chances people won't like this!) and hyperactive.
You sound well prepared for this one. :thumbup:  

Rian Johnson: Oh, yeah. There’s strangeness all over the movie and that’s one of the big things I’m curious to see how people react. I think there’s a lot of just oddness in the film, and there’s a lot of humor in the movie. I mean, we have jokes. We have flat-out jokes in the film. [Laughs] We have funny creatures. I think the part of the fan base that’s closer to my age, you tend to start thinking of what you’d want in a Star Wars movie in terms of the opera of it, and the seriousness of it. That’s a big and important element of it and I think we definitely served that in this movie, but it’s important to then remember, you know, Salacious Crumb [Laughs], and it’s important to remember the other side of these movies, which is fun.

StarWars.com: Exactly. Empire Strikes Back, as much as people talk about how dark it is, is also the funniest Star Wars movie. 

Rian Johnson: Oh my God, that whole scene where Yoda is just messing with [Luke]. I agree, and I think it’s a very important part of these movies.

CletiusMaximus said:
Had lunch with a guy yesterday - totally normal dude, mid 40's, kids, etc.

Has never seen a Star Wars movie. Completely changed my view of him, not sure what to think now, still trying to comprehend.
Poor guy must’ve had a terrible childhood. 

I'm not really a big Star Wars fan so don't kill me for the question.

Where does Rogue One fit into the storyline? I saw the original 3 and the first 2 newer ones after that, Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. I don't think I saw Revenge of the Sith and haven't seen any of the newer ones. Is Rogue One a completely different story that can be watched at any time?

I'm not really a big Star Wars fan so don't kill me for the question.

Where does Rogue One fit into the storyline? I saw the original 3 and the first 2 newer ones after that, Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. I don't think I saw Revenge of the Sith and haven't seen any of the newer ones. Is Rogue One a completely different story that can be watched at any time?
Happens before Episode Four (the original Star Wars) and after Revenge of the Sith. That's about all you need to know about it to enjoy the movie. Nothing else really crosses over to the other movies other than what you've already seen in Episode 4

Happens before Episode Four (the original Star Wars) and after Revenge of the Sith. That's about all you need to know about it to enjoy the movie. Nothing else really crosses over to the other movies other than what you've already seen in Episode 4
What he said......and watch Episode III. Was the best of the prequels and it was not even close.

ok...thx

Maybe I'll go through them all to catch up at some point.

What he said......and watch Episode III. Was the best of the prequels and it was not even close.
I was 13 when the original came out and I saw it in the theater. I wasn't as fanatic as some of my friends were about it but I liked it a lot and saw the next 2 in the theater too. I tried Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones and they were ok but I just kinda gave up on the series. I'll give III a shot.

I was 13 when the original came out and I saw it in the theater. I wasn't as fanatic as some of my friends were about it but I liked it a lot and saw the next 2 in the theater too. I tried Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones and they were ok but I just kinda gave up on the series. I'll give III a shot.
Phantom Menace has the battle between Qui Gon and Darth Maul and a whole bunch of other crap around it. Attack of the Clones has the battle between Obi Wan and Jango/Boba Fett, an entire Jedi Order show up to fight in one place, Yoda fights with a light saber, and a whole bunch of crap. Revenge of the Sith has lots and lots of cool stuff.

There. I think I should stop being a grill blogger and start being a movie reviewer! That's gold right there. GOLD!

Reading up on the Solo movie. I guess that will fit between III and IV too?
Well think about it. The prequels are about Luke's parents. Han is not that much older than Luke. Not like a parent older, more like an uncle. So when 1, 2 and 3 happens, how old can Han Solo be? I would think that eventually the do an Obi Wan movie or three in that time frame. I've got to believe that Yoda sent him on a mission or two while was watching over Luke on Tatooine

some of the full reviews released today are brutal.

go in with low expectations people...
Didn't they give the writer/director 3 more movies?  I assumed if they did that, they were very happy with the product.  Of course that doesn't equal critical acclaim, so I will see in a few days for myself. 

700pm Thursday can’t come fast enough 

our tickets include a fan event before the movie, exclusive content, trading cards, and a special concession offer

rumor is the exclusive content I may be the Han  Solo trailer. 

If 128 favorable out of 138 reviews are considered all over the place then yeah.
The last movie seemed to have a lot of mixed reviews.  When something is as big as Star Wars it will always have mixed reviews.  So far I have mostly seen positive reviews for The Last Jedi. 

Cool.  I just remember reading a bunch of reviews from the movie right after it came out and they were all over the place.  I may be thinking more of the fan reviews.  I remember many were from metacritic.
I always feel like for these movies the more casual critic or fan enjoys them or is more fair criticizing them than the mega-Star Wars nerds. 

With something as big and mainstream as SW is, there's invariably the reviewer that has to trash it just to show how cool he is and smarter than the people making the movies which is ironic, because if he was as smart as the people making the movies, he would be a film maker rather than a critic. I'm just flat out ignoring the reviews until I see it. 

Anyone purposely spoiling themselves?? I’ve read a few spoiler free reviews, doing my best to control myself from finding out everything. I’ve read on the twitter that even some so-called spoiler free reviews, variety in particular, inadvertently include some spoilers. Beware. 

Anyone purposely spoiling themselves?? I’ve read a few spoiler free reviews, doing my best to control myself from finding out everything. I’ve read on the twitter that even some so-called spoiler free reviews, variety in particular, inadvertently include some spoilers. Beware. 
Nope, watched the first trailer and that's it. Will be avoiding pretty much everything until after we see it on Sat.

With something as big and mainstream as SW is, there's invariably the reviewer that has to trash it just to show how cool he is and smarter than the people making the movies which is ironic, because if he was as smart as the people making the movies, he would be a film maker rather than a critic. I'm just flat out ignoring the reviews until I see it. 
Not just for that reason, but also because of $$. 

Negativity = clicks. 

Going social media silent starting Thursday. Avoiding any potential spoiler material until then.

Users who are viewing this thread