What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

George "The Animal" Steele has died at 79. (1 Viewer)

watching him gnaw turnbuckle  and foam at the mouf was as good as it got for 'Luche Libre' on channel 41 (UHF) here in the '70s 

loved his work as Tor Robinson in "Ed Wood" as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
WWE Hall of Famer George 'The Animal' Steele dead at 79 | FOX Sports

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:37a ET
It was during his teaching stint that he began moonlighting in sports-entertainment, working in the Detroit-area promotions. Steele’s first WWE appearances took place in 1967, when he began a heated rivalry with WWE Champion Bruno Sammartino. For nearly 20 years, Steele was a reviled villain, managed by the likes of fellow WWE Hall of Famers The Grand Wizard, “Classy” Freddie Blassie, Capt. Lou Albano and Mr. Fuji. His classic main events against Sammartino, Pedro Morales and Bob Backlund saw him come close to winning the WWE Championship on many occasions.

Steele, whose real name was William James Myers, was an educated man, with a bachelor of science degree from Michigan State University and a master’s degree from Central Michigan University.

Steele and his wife, Pat Myers, were married for over 60 years and had three children: Dennis, Randy and Felicia.

His colleagues posted their sympathies after the news was made public.

George wrestled at high schools in metro Detroit when I was growing up.   They used to have big time wrestling in gyms.

Most people did not know that he was a high school teacher, wrestling and football coach in the Detroit area. When he first came on the scene he wore a mask and was called The Student so nobody would recognize him as a teacher.

George wrestled at high schools in metro Detroit when I was growing up.   They used to have big time wrestling in gyms.

Most people did not know that he was a high school teacher, wrestling and football coach in the Detroit area. When he first came on the scene he wore a mask and was called The Student so nobody would recognize him as a teacher.
A guy I worked with went to Madison and had him as a teacher and coach for both sports.  Said he was fantastic at both jobs. Some of the other coaches called him "Moose" but he absolutely went nuts if any of the kids called him that. 

In his honor and memory it's turnbuckles tonight for dinner. I just have to figure out the best way to cook these things. I can't do raw like the Animal did. 

Among his many accomplishments he was inducted into the Michigan HS Coaches HOF.

From one proud Spartan alum to a Great Spartan alum..cheers :banned:

RIP

Heard a story once, that when a bunch of rasslers went out to eat, they would give him the bill because he was the smartest guy and could figure out what everyone owed the fastest.

Was at a half empty WWF house show in the early/mid 90s.  This was the Tatanka days.  We were walking around the empty upper deck and watching and this guy was just sitting up there watching.  One of my friends recognized him as George Steel.  We went over there, asked if it was cool if we sat down and he ended up talking to us for like a half an hour.  Nice guy. 

If you're watching this , I'm dead

In a pre-recorded video message to his friends, family and fans, George "The Animal" Steele walks through his life as a globe-trotting wrestler, and Metro Detroit high school teacher and coach.

Steele starts the video with the message of, "if you're watching this, I am dead and I am with Jesus. Bye-bye." Steele, real name William James Myers, died at the age of 79 Friday morning, Feb. 17. 

In the video below, "The Animal" talks about his Metro Detroit upbringing, being bullied as a kid, teaching and coaching, getting into wrestling and much more. 

Users who are viewing this thread