What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (2 Viewers)

Sat Landry for him last night..... How frustrating. Hope better days are ahead. The titans offense is so weird. Mariotta is an enigma. Some plays he looks like Russ, other plays he looks like cleveland Rg3. His first two picks were awful. His TD run was crazy. 

Ugh. What a disaster. Only saw 1st and 4th quarter. I assume 2nd and 3rd quarters were similiar. Obviously my prediction was an epic fail. Sorry if I led anyone astray.... hopefully mr davis isn’t my downfall this week. 

Still holding but will not be starting moving forward. 

Not that it really matters because he didn't play well, but I disagree with this- the defender got there right when the ball did (maybe even a split second early), that was more on the defense than Davis.
Hmm I guess I would need to see the play again. Perhaps you are right.

Benching him until I see this Titan's passing game be more consistent.  Even prior to last night they were off.  Definite hold and good match ups ahead.  I'm okay if he breaks out on my bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the play I was talking about where the ball gets tipped up for an interception.

The defender is grabbing at Davis arms before the ball arrives, perhaps questionable defensive holding here or interference. The best view of this is at the 27 second mark of the clip. Davis is elevating as the ball arrives but perhaps could have done a bit better job of coming back to the ball, to prevent the defender from making a play, if he does that, he would not be in as good position to try to run after the catch, but you need to make the catch first.

The defender is able to hit Davis arm which gets pushed across his body as the ball arrives, its really close to perhaps being a penalty, but happens so fast I can understand why the refs just let them play here in real time.

Watching it again, I think the ball does hit the defenders hand as he is starting to wrap Davis and pushing Davis arm away.

Here is the play I was talking about where the ball gets tipped up for an interception.

The defender is grabbing at Davis arms before the ball arrives, perhaps questionable defensive holding here or interference. The best view of this is at the 27 second mark of the clip. Davis is elevating as the ball arrives but perhaps could have done a bit better job of coming back to the ball, to prevent the defender from making a play, if he does that, he would not be in as good position to try to run after the catch, but you need to make the catch first.

The defender is able to hit Davis arm which gets pushed across his body as the ball arrives, its really close to perhaps being a penalty, but happens so fast I can understand why the refs just let them play here in real time.

Watching it again, I think the ball does hit the defenders hand as he is starting to wrap Davis and pushing Davis arm away.
Right, in college he catches that, hits the seam and houses it. Well in the NFL you better come back and secure the catch first and learn when you have enough seperation to catch it in stride and take off. College was 5 games ago for the kid. It's a steep curve this early on. By all accounts a hard worker, he'll learn. There were a couple other routes where he didn't break back hard enough to the ball for this level. It also looked like he got more safety help over the top than the other WRs. Explains his lack of separation on some of the comeback routes.

It was hard to tell on the skycam angle but it seemed like the Steelers got good pressure on the Qb. So although their secondary was beatable, there wasn't usually time for the deeper routes to develop. Disappointing he didn't see a ton of time in the slot or have short crossing routes called for him.

All this would be moot if Mariota could pass and lead the WR.  At least twice he had Davis open if he could lead him, but the ball was thrown at or slightly behind him.

They need to spend some time working on routes/timing/passing.  Then we will see a huge breakout game

All this would be moot if Mariota could pass and lead the WR.  At least twice he had Davis open if he could lead him, but the ball was thrown at or slightly behind him.

They need to spend some time working on routes/timing/passing.  Then we will see a huge breakout game
:goodposting:

In addition, on the play in question Mariota gets a little panicky in his progression once the initial read(s) to the right is shut down. He then misses his a wide open Decker who could have sat down for a first down. Instead, he forces the ball into a well-covered Davis.

Davis is not at all blameless on the interception...he doesn't exhibit the type of my ball mentality you hope for in a WR1.

It is a great video clip that has a lot of info why the Mariota-Davis connection needs a ton more reps and skill development before it can fulfill its potential.

Not likely to happen for FF this year, I'm afraid.

Yeah, only a couple really good passes the entire game.  The long play to Walker was well thrown and the TD that Walker dropped.  The Matthews long TD was blown coverage.  Nobody near him and he made an excellent run after the catch.  A lot of throws behind the receivers and a couple of the INTs were brutally bad.

Davis has a lot to learn obviously, but Mariota played a really bad game. 

Well a lot has happened since Week 1 too. My impression was 'wow he's going to be this team's no. 1.' - But 9 weeks away and in the interim Matthews has become that guy. 

I have no way to share a video/gif here so... check this out https://twitter.com/fhbrian/status/931896360042975232

His ankle was repaired in the spring. Is that the worst cut... ever?

Sidenote, I don't know if that's on Mariota anymore. I'd sure have expected him to be there far sooner and it sure gave Sensabaugh a long time to react
I'd be willing to write that off to a young WR who doesn't exactly know where he's supposed to be, which is just as bad or worse as a bum ankle.

I'd be willing to write that off to a young WR who doesn't exactly know where he's supposed to be, which is just as bad or worse as a bum ankle.
That’s what I looked like to me as well. Guy didn’t know where he was going. Looks to me like he has to think everything through right now which is causing a delay in motion. He’s also generally out of football shape. He’s wheezing out there like a smoker. The two together are causing some poor lazy looking routes.

Last 2 comment seem accurate. The loss of time with the injury still seems to be a drag on his play. Every week he is getting more practice in and he was still the most targeted Titan WR last week. The opportunity exists and I think he's worth waiting a little longer on. Of course, this strongly depends on what your team needs and what the waiver wire looks like.

I think sometimes we can get lost in big picture evaluation when all that matters at this point in the season is team needs. There are teams out there that have no use for Corey Davis. If it's a league where a homerun at WR3 could be something the manager  needs down the stretch, than he is worth the hold. If it's a team thick at WR but desperate at QB/RB/TE, it would make sense to cut Davis and add some help elsewhere.  

Davis, Mariota, and the coaches all pretty much suck right now. Slap it high?

In the times that I have seen him play he doesn't seem to play with an urgency or aggression. That has been the most disappointing sign for me.
I've rewatched a bunch on gamepass. I don't think he ever explodes off the LOS. There have been a few sideline routes where he's a beast and otherwise I agree very timid

Well I don't think you can start him in a playoff clinching week unless you're half desperate with a poor matchup and praying for an explosion from him. It's too late in the FF season to mess around. 

He'll have had ten days to do whatever. We're really just looking for him to be himself- run with determination, cut with some, "my ball mentality" etc. We know he has all these skills "down." He's gotta put it all together though.

he is definitely option 3 behind walker and matthews.  i don't like it.  i've got to decide between abdullah and him and kupp

he is definitely option 3 behind walker and matthews.  i don't like it.  i've got to decide between abdullah and him and kupp
He has played 4 entire games and in those games comped against these two he has finished first, tied second, first and second in targets.  That does not sound like a definitive number 3 option to me. Now if by option 3 you mean he's the third of this trio you'd put in your fantasy lineup this week I would concur.

Oh god. Not again. Gosh darnit. 

Crabtree in a terrible matchup, maclin on a terrible team. Or C davis. Ugh. 

Well crap, I won last week with Davis and was going to sit him this week.  Now with Matthews gimpy I may play Davis again.  He is so due for a break out game.

He has played 4 entire games and in those games comped against these two he has finished first, tied second, first and second in targets.  That does not sound like a definitive number 3 option to me. Now if by option 3 you mean he's the third of this trio you'd put in your fantasy lineup this week I would concur.
Someone on a pay site described this as the Calvin syndrome with video and timers and....very well done. For many years, Stafford would stare at Calvin and "last second" he'd throw elsewhere. Defenses would have a safety cheat and sometimes even a LB to have 3 guys ready for Calvin. Stafford had "no time" to look for someone else because he was coached to or determined to get it to Calvin and everyone knew.

Marcus had an awesome HS coach etc. and is one of the best-drilled QBs there is. All of a sudden he looks uncomfortable and is staring Corey down. Last game there were four times that Marcus had seven seconds to pass. He spent five seconds staring at Corey then got it away to Matthews or Walker "last second." 

When Corey wasn't in, Marcus clearly went Decker, Walker, Matthews, Murray on four plays this guy found. It was smooth, normal, the way it should be. 

He thinks it's Plaxico and Mularkey not changing with the times. Plaxico and younger Moss  could be stared down and force-fed, but defenses reacted, CBs got better and older Moss was a perfect example. He struggled to do well until he played with mister perfect in New England. He had a Brady quote where he said something like the stars will get theirs, I just have to be patient and go through my progressions. 

This guy really put on a convincing case.

When I click on Matthews and Walker on gamepass, it's not 100%. Sometimes he looks at them and fires right away. There are plenty though where it's almost like Thank Goodness they were open. I mean he has no time with a defender bearing down, turns his head, and phew. It's very uncomfortable and not Marcus-like at all. That guy made a believer out of me. I think he nailed it

Someone on a pay site described this as the Calvin syndrome with video and timers and....very well done. For many years, Stafford would stare at Calvin and "last second" he'd throw elsewhere. Defenses would have a safety cheat and sometimes even a LB to have 3 guys ready for Calvin. Stafford had "no time" to look for someone else because he was coached to or determined to get it to Calvin and everyone knew.

Marcus had an awesome HS coach etc. and is one of the best-drilled QBs there is. All of a sudden he looks uncomfortable and is staring Corey down. Last game there were four times that Marcus had seven seconds to pass. He spent five seconds staring at Corey then got it away to Matthews or Walker "last second." 

When Corey wasn't in, Marcus clearly went Decker, Walker, Matthews, Murray on four plays this guy found. It was smooth, normal, the way it should be. 

He thinks it's Plaxico and Mularkey not changing with the times. Plaxico and younger Moss  could be stared down and force-fed, but defenses reacted, CBs got better and older Moss was a perfect example. He struggled to do well until he played with mister perfect in New England. He had a Brady quote where he said something like the stars will get theirs, I just have to be patient and go through my progressions. 

This guy really put on a convincing case.

When I click on Matthews and Walker on gamepass, it's not 100%. Sometimes he looks at them and fires right away. There are plenty though where it's almost like Thank Goodness they were open. I mean he has no time with a defender bearing down, turns his head, and phew. It's very uncomfortable and not Marcus-like at all. That guy made a believer out of me. I think he nailed it
Thanks, interesting.

So the gist of this is don't expect good numbers from Corey Davis until the Titans / Mariota change their philosophy and start using progressions with Davis too?

This week Davis is matched up against Pierre Desir who’s allowing 15yds per reception and a TD every 12.7 targets. If there’s a week that DAVIS should blowup it’s this week!

Tex

He's not matched up against Melvin?
Matthews should be lined up against Melvin. Davis lines up on the left side when doing so he’ll see Desir who is the right CB. 

Indy as a unit is not that bad they’ve only given up a top 12 performance to opposing WR 4 times this year.

Tex

Matthews should be lined up against Melvin. Davis lines up on the left side when doing so he’ll see Desir who is the right CB. 

Indy as a unit is not that bad they’ve only given up a top 12 performance to opposing WR 4 times this year.

Tex
Sounds like Matthews might not play. Melvin could shadow Davis.

Users who are viewing this thread