What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (2 Viewers)

I just find it funny how we let some words change with time, but with others, their literal or traditional meanings are "too important" and can't be ignored. 

I'm more concerned about the hypocrisy by some people in these situations of not saying stuff or saying it. My biggest pet Peeve is why are blacks allowed to drop the N Bomb but no one else and its ok if its "igga" and not the hard "er" version? Seems hypocritical and anyone who uses that or the F word describing queer people even if that person so happens to be one, if I was hiring I wouldn't allow either to work in my place. 

I'm cooling with subbing certain words or entirely not using words but can we not be so hypocritical and pick and chose whats ok and whats not? I think that's the hardline a lot of people draw is the hypocrisy. I think with all of us working in different fields we all see this where one group can't do or say a certain thing but another group gets away with everything. 

If we are gonna do this, lets do it right and not look like dam hypocrites while doing it. Another fine example is my job requires staff and our vendors to wear masks at all times vaccinated or not. Ive lost count how many vendors I see not wearing a mask and no one saying a thing too them manager wise. I talked to the one vendor who said he forgot his mask (He's not someone who'd do it intentionally and I've known him for yrs) and he was telling me a lot of the stores in my company aren't following it. Honestly thinking about bringing this to my bosses attention and just saying hey if me who's autistic and hates wearing this for sensitivity reasons can wear one all day why don't they even though they are suppose too. Because if they are gonna walk around without one I'm going to for now on and you better not say a thing. Or we can just gladly take this to HR and my Union and see what they think of this whole situation. It's just another example of companies CYA"s or as some people call Virtue Signaling. AKA Pretend to care about an issue we really don't care about just to look good in the public eye. 

I'd rather do something genuine and not look like a hypocrite about it. Is that so hard to ask and do? 

Out of all of the players, I think Shan, the Jamaican/Italian Pastor, really stood out for me as the most likable. Loved all of her confessionals and was cracking up to her evil background music schtick. She also seems to have positioned herself well in this game so far. I expect that we'll get a good combo of character and game play from her. 

She was annoying to me. Not sure why other then she just reminded me of a former coworker who I couldn't stand. 

right ....but why does everything have to be a big pink neon sign with an arrow pointing saying "look at me....I'm so woke"....can I get my round of applause please......does everybody think I am cool and non racist and gender sensitive and whatever else now....why do we have to make sure everybody knows how woke we are....why do we have to throw it in everybody's face....we act like we have to get some validation on our wokeness....like a stamp of approval on our forehead or flash our woke card or something....

Honestly think it's virtue Signaling. A lot of these companies don't really give a dam but they know if they don't get a good image their company is donezo. I'm not saying Jeff is and I think he's a genuine caring guy. The producers and people who run CBS is a different story. I use to listen to Tony Bruno on the CBS owned Philly Sports talk show. After he left and there was an incident where his former co host was fired and people were making up BS how he and Tony didn't get along and such. Well Tony ended up blasting both Radio stations in Philly and burnt his bridges. he said he was never going back anyway so I'm doing this not just because of that but I want people to know the truth about who the real people behind the scenes are.

Tony Didn't paint the CBS people in a good light at all. I was shocked it didn't get more national attention and maybe if he said it today and not 4 yrs ago or so it probably would've because a lot of People at CBS I think would've been on unemployment. I don't mind changes and diversity but I do mind when people try too hard and it more so looks like they are doing it for a "Hey look at us" and the "We only did this after we got caught" schtick is very obvious. 

Couldn't really understand getting rid of Abraham.
Bad social game. He gunned for Tiffany immediately, but everyone else liked her, particularly Evvie, who also realized that if the tribe boots Tiffany and justifies it with the "keep the tribe strong" mantra, she goes next. 

The same thing happened to Ronnie on S39. He gunned for Elaine, but everyone liked her so they rallied against him instead. 

Bad social game. He gunned for Tiffany immediately, but everyone else liked her, particularly Evvie, who also realized that if the tribe boots Tiffany and justifies it with the "keep the tribe strong" mantra, she goes next. 

The same thing happened to Ronnie on S39. He gunned for Elaine, but everyone liked her so they rallied against him instead. 

Guess that's right.  Didn't get why Evvie wouldn't have been targeted immediately.

Do you have a desire to use the N Bomb? If not, then why do you care? 

I just think it makes people hypocritical and no better then those who intentionally use it. To me if something is that offensive to you, you shouldn't use it yourself as it makes you look like a hypocrite. I'm all for the word being used in art form for historical context and such but it shouldn't be part of anyone's daily vocabulary. Also it doesn't look good when you bring up race issues at work accussing others and you were recorded using this word a few times yourself. It kind of just discredits you on the spot. 

During the Riley Cooper Incident Stephan A Smith brought this up and I thought a lot of what he said made sense. There was no hyperbole or trying to get ratings. He was speaking to people in an open mind how he hates the word himself and makes his fellow blacks look uneducated. 

It's not about me wanting to use it or not. It's the hypocrisy of some okay with using it but god forbid someone else uses it the world is ending. I've called my own friends out on this countless times before too. 

It's not about me wanting to use it or not. It's the hypocrisy of some okay with using it but god forbid someone else uses it the world is ending. I've called my own friends out on this countless times before too. 
There are much better contexts for calling out hypocrisy. Nothing good comes from a white person using the N Bomb, or complaining about not being allowed to use it. The optics of that are just bad. You may not care about optics, but the vast majority of our society does. 

Someday the networks may figure out why nobody is watching…too bad.  We watched to be entertained and get way from day to day life.   Done watching Big Brother after watching every season.  Survivor could be next…

i'm not sure girl power was the right move there.  that tribe is doomed.  do you really want to be tethered to the boat anchor that is tiff?  going voce, was definitely the wrong way to go.  i hope the young kid makes it out of that disaster.

i'm not sure girl power was the right move there.  that tribe is doomed.  do you really want to be tethered to the boat anchor that is tiff?  going voce, was definitely the wrong way to go.  i hope the young kid makes it out of that disaster.
The tribe had three choices and chose the worst one.

Booting Xander keeps the all-women alliance together and gets rid of someone physically strong and known to have two (currently inactive) advantages who would be a huge threat come the merge. If you have given up on trying to win challenges and are hoping for a swap, this is the move to make.

Booting Tiffany removes the tribe's worst challenge performer and most volatile/unpredictable personality. The tribe has a better shot to win challenges and probably improves in harmony. If you lose again, Xander can be booted if he still can't vote. If you are still trying to win challenges and keep the rest of the tribe together, this is the move to make. 

Booting Voce placates Tiffany but accomplishes nothing else aside from keeping the all-women alliance together, which booting Xander also would have done. The move does not improve their chances of winning challenges, nor get rid of the biggest threat. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiffany's argument that, "but wait, I know he doesn't have an idol but IF he has an idol by some chance then I'm going home!  we as a group just can't have that.  So, the best move is to axe Voce so that, you know, I can be safe.  That's what's important here, girls... that I remain SAFE... because ME ME, ME... me. I'm hungry."   :rolleyes:

I hope they don't swap or merge and that tribe gets dominated out of challenges til no one is left. 

The tribe had three choices and chose the worst one.

Booting Xander keeps the all-women alliance together and gets rid of someone physically strong and known to have two (currently inactive) advantages who would be a huge threat come the merge. If you have given up on trying to win challenges and are hoping for a swap, this is the move to make.

Booting Tiffany removes the tribe's worst challenge performer and most volatile/unpredictable personality. The tribe has a better shot to win challenges and probably improves in harmony. If you lose again, Xander can be booted if he still can't vote. If you are still trying to win challenges and keep the rest of the tribe together, this is the move to make. 

Botting Voce placates Tiffany but accomplishes nothing else aside from keeping the all-women alliance together, which booting Xander also would have done. The move does not improve their chances of winning challenges, nor get rid of the biggest threat. 
Yeah, knowing Xander can't vote still gives the women the advantage if they got rid of Tiffany and gives them a better chance in challenges.

Im with @Jayrok, hope there is no coming merge and the girls all starve to death or are eaten by Tiffany.

Yeah, knowing Xander can't vote still gives the women the advantage if they got rid of Tiffany and gives them a better chance in challenges.

Im with @Jayrok, hope there is no coming merge and the girls all starve to death or are eaten by Tiffany.
I think word would have gotten out if there was cannibalism on Survivor. 😆

The two girls should have just voted Xander out. That made sense. If Xander had an idol the vote would have been 1 vote Tiffany and 1 vote Voce.  On a revote they could have voted out Voce then

Xander screwed himself by running his mouth on the idols.  He probably didn't need to say the phrase immediately as it is highly unlikely that both other idols had already been found.  He could have played the extra vote (even if he didn't have it) into he and Voce voting off Tiffany.  More than likely would have forced the others into voting her off.  Not sure if tiebreaker has changed but I can't see Evie and Liana risking their game over a random draw.   I think Tiffany and Evie tanked the challenge as they knew he had no vote.

Unless the other two are found before yellow goes to tribal again (very likely given they have no challenge capability left) he is doomed.

He could have played the extra vote (even if he didn't have it) into he and Voce voting off Tiffany. 
My understanding is that the "no vote until the others are found" provision of his advantage means that he can't use ANY of his votes, regular or extra. It also means he can't use the Shot in the Dark, because you have to have a vote in the first place in order to risk it for a 1/6 chance at safety. 

If xander is smart he will try to tell someone at the next challenge to see if they will go get it.  I wonder if he tried this. 

My instinct was to feel bad for Xander, but he's his own worse enemy. You'd think they know that revealing advantages puts a target on your back, as it did in his case. I don't understand why players do this.  

I don't understand the micro plan of the women in that tribe... voting out stronger competitors, and ensuring they get down to a trio pre-merge which includes the weakest link in the 2021 cast? That's the plan? I hope they don't like having fire or food. 

My understanding is that the "no vote until the others are found" provision of his advantage means that he can't use ANY of his votes, regular or extra. It also means he can't use the Shot in the Dark, because you have to have a vote in the first place in order to risk it for a 1/6 chance at safety. 
But if Xander doesn't spill the beans how the idol/beware works, the others don't know that he lost his vote.  The threat of a 3 vote block against Tiffany is all he needed.  They would not have known about the lost vote until they actually voted (and maybe not even then).  He is far to trusting in his teammates.  

I don't understand the micro plan of the women in that tribe... voting out stronger competitors, and ensuring they get down to a trio pre-merge which includes the weakest link in the 2021 cast? That's the plan? I hope they don't like having fire or food. 
With the season shortened to 26 days, they've decided they can get by without it. 

The shortened season has also accelerated the trend of people playing for the endgame at the beginning. Likely one reason Evvie and Liana want to keep Tiffany is that they think they could beat her at Final Tribal Council. This is also why in S39, Missy kept Karishma instead of Chelsea. 

But if Xander doesn't spill the beans how the idol/beware works, the others don't know that he lost his vote.  The threat of a 3 vote block against Tiffany is all he needed.  They would not have known about the lost vote until they actually voted (and maybe not even then).  He is far to trusting in his teammates.  
What, if any, advantage did he gain by yelling them in the first place? Or by telling them the whole story? 

Yeah, the idol puts a target on your back, but it also offers protection from this kind of early removal...in the typical set up. If he feels compelled to tell them about it, what benefit is there in saying it doesn't work yet, or that he doesn't have a vote? Just say I've got an idol and let them stew on it.

I feel like every year we say "this cast sucks" and then things get better (As we have more time to learn about them and see the game dynamics at play). Obviously with the shorter season, there's less time for that.

They're in a tough spot from a game mechanics perspective. They have to put idols in the game, as they promote blindsides and other higher level game play (as opposed to just Make Alliance day 1....vote out everyone not in alliance....profit). But with people constantly looking for idols, they've had to incorporate more and more complicated mechanics around them.

This whole thing with the "find all 3, say the phrases" mechanic is pretty lame to me.  Its just overly convoluted and is basically inserted more RNG into the game. I know that Xander was warned that the advantage came with potential downsides, but that just seems like too much.

If this is the "new era" of survivor, I feel like this COULD be the beginning of the end.  I mean....the show has been on for over 20 years. At some point, they were bound to run out of good ideas. 

- Naseer's upbringing certainly seems to set him up well for the survival aspects this season.  The anti-Tiffany, in that regard.  

- I love goofy Brad but the spy shack idea probably works better if you don't tell people that you aren't, you know, aligned with.  

- Pretty sure Jeffrey said "you guys" at Tribal.  Woke only for Ua, or woke only for one episode?  

Three hours into the programming season and other than the football player and the Indian guy, who exactly is on the blue team?  Have there been other recent seasons where someone is almost completely hidden in the first 2-3 episodes and then they become players later on?   Old school you had Tina back in the Australian one, but game is much different now. 

Three hours into the programming season and other than the football player and the Indian guy, who exactly is on the blue team?  Have there been other recent seasons where someone is almost completely hidden in the first 2-3 episodes and then they become players later on?   Old school you had Tina back in the Australian one, but game is much different now. 
In S39 we saw nothing of Dean until the third episode, and he made Final Tribal. 

In S38 we saw little of the yellow tribe in the premerge because they kept winning, and two of them made Final Tribal. 

If you subscribe to "they tell the story of the winner",  most of the blue team is probably not winning this.

Deshawn got good time last night with even a little "I'm not smart but I'll be a doctor" backstory.  

Deshawn got good time last night with even a little "I'm not smart but I'll be a doctor" backstory.  
They had to show him he was part of the reward thing. What they didn't have to do is show the green team and basically ignore the blue team. That's why I'm thinking the winner is on the green team.

It wouldn't be THAT much different from Noura, Angelina, Laurel and others who got there with no shot of winning. 
I get what you are saying, I just think there are a lot of dynamics with that playing out. First and foremost, this trio will need to overcome the math reality that they will become minority numbers in an us/them merge. I'd have to buy into the notion that Evvie/Liana/Tiffany overcome being low hanging fruit, and I don't. 

I get what you are saying, I just think there are a lot of dynamics with that playing out. First and foremost, this trio will need to overcome the math reality that they will become minority numbers in an us/them merge. I'd have to buy into the notion that Evvie/Liana/Tiffany overcome being low hanging fruit, and I don't. 
we just watched the season with Aubrey, Michelle and Tai... 32? Michelle was non-existent on the show until past the merge- so much so that we kept saying "who the heck is that broad" when they started showing her- but she ended up winning. 

we just watched the season with Aubrey, Michelle and Tai... 32? Michelle was non-existent on the show until past the merge- so much so that we kept saying "who the heck is that broad" when they started showing her- but she ended up winning. 
We saw little of her before the merge because she never went to Tribal. But she was included in most episodes regardless. Only once have they made the winner almost completely invisible (S19, which was more about explaining why Russell lost than why Natalie W. won). 

We saw little of her before the merge because she never went to Tribal. But she was included in most episodes regardless. Only once have they made the winner almost completely invisible (S19, which was more about explaining why Russell lost than why Natalie W. won). 
dunno, man- we literally just binged that season and while sure, she may have been on here or there, compared to the other people in her tribe barely at all. she was a background coat-tail rider until she was forced to do more. 

Users who are viewing this thread