What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (6 Viewers)

So Yul knew who the other players were going to be but Sandra didn't?
Followed the link to that talk with Yul.

First, it was on the day before filming started.  Yul knew the guys who were in, but it's not clear how long he knew.  Good chance he had only just found out as I'm sure they were together at that point getting ready for their entrance.  Even then, he still didn't know which women were playing.  So it stands to reason that Sandra didn't know Rob would be there until they got to the sand, and was still not over her surprise at finding out a little earlier that Amber was there.

You’re considered one of the smartest players for sure, but it’s been a while now. How do you think that all impacts you being here in terms of the eyes of the other players?
I think it’s to my benefit, actually. So, coming in, I have a lot of trepidation, because look, there are 10 men. I don’t know who’s playing on the women’s side. Of the 10 men, five of them have played multiple times. And in some cases, they’ve played with each other. Among the five one-time winners, of which I’m one, the other four all played less than three years ago. I played 13 years ago. So, coming in, I’m already at a disadvantage. There are probably connections that have already been made pre-alliance, or pre-game, to form these alliances. Or, even if there aren’t specific pre-alliances, you’ll come into the game and you’ll naturally just gravitate towards people you know. So, it’s a very good chance that there might be literally nothing I could do. I’m just not in one of these alliances. I might get booted out.

So yeah, Yul must have done his homework on his potential opponents.  (which makes it more impressive IMHO).

I didn't find anything masterful in Rob's conversation with Ben. Ben acted like a star struck idiot. It reminded me of the terrible season that Rob won. Rob's interaction with Dani was him trying to intimidate and grandstand, and she just answered his questions. I hope she wants to vote him out again and soon, but Ben can't be trusted, and she has to have the votes. 

I was disappointed that Natalie was voted off first. I thought she played a great game the year she won.  She can get back in the game, but I don't want to see a repeat of the Edge of Extinction season where Chris was voted out early and came back at the end and won. Hopefully there will be a significant difference about playing the game at EI.
Rob's magic is in his ability to do almost everything out in the open and still appear to not be in charge, somehow not offend people, and have people feel bullied by him but also want his approval.  That started long before he was a star on the show - it's his gameplay.  He puts people in uncomfortable positions in front of other people, then praises them for whatever they do in front of those same people, which builds a quick bond that often stays pretty strong as long as he wants it.  

Fun hypothesis: Sandra and Rob concocted an alliance last season and Sandra's out of character play is to cover it.
That would be fun.  And it would make sense why rob was pushing for physically weak players to go to Redemption on that first vote, if he knew Sandra would be sending Amber there and they all wanted her coming back.

Rob's magic is in his ability to do almost everything out in the open and still appear to not be in charge, somehow not offend people, and have people feel bullied by him but also want his approval.  That started long before he was a star on the show - it's his gameplay.  He puts people in uncomfortable positions in front of other people, then praises them for whatever they do in front of those same people, which builds a quick bond that often stays pretty strong as long as he wants it.  
Rob calling Danni out for throwing his name out, then immediately selling her on "we need to team up against these kids" was like a jedi mind trick.  

Rob calling Danni out for throwing his name out, then immediately selling her on "we need to team up against these kids" was like a jedi mind trick.  
But it wasn't just immediate, and he didn't just call her out - he asked her, point blank, if she threw his name out, then when she said "well, I threw everyone's name out..." said "See, I totally understand why you would, and you admitting to that really makes me respect you. You're exactly the kind of person I can work with - you, me, and these two people who are witnessing it, what do you say?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Same with Ben.  In front of witnesses - "who was it?  You're not going to tell me the name? Come on, we have to talk to work together? Oh, Danni? Great, thanks - I really respect you for telling me that.  Now we can work together like good buddies..."

Agree.  No way she and Rob didn't talk about this season while they were out there together that long.  It's a season with only winners.  They're both cocky so it's hard to imagine they didn't talk about it.  I'd wager they spent time talking strategy in case (either) they are on the same tribe or opposite.  Who can imagine a winners only season without Rob and Sandra?  

She's already mentioned in episode one that she'll lie, cheat and do whatever it takes to get close to $2M.  Who wouldn't in a game like this?  

And there's people like Tony who wants to make sure she and Rob stay around post merge to be huge targets around camp to (he thinks) shield him.  Sandra is a master manipulator.  I'll bet she would use that to help keep herself around. 
I read an article that Rob and Sandra were both approached while out there for S39.  Sandra immediately said "yes" and Rob immediately said "no".  He changed his mind at some point (possibly when Probst hinted at EoE being in play -- many of these folks agreed ONLY because there was a 2nd chance element like EoE).  So, from Sandra's pov it seems like he did lie to her, but in reality he simply changed his mind.

Yeah, so far two people on edge of extinction and 2 of 3 advantages go to Sandra and Rob. They split Rob and Sandra. Amber’s not the player that Rob is so she’s better to be on extinction working to help Rob. Natalie would have given the idol to Jeremy, but Sandra is her #2?

I’ll be honest that I don’t care for Sandra but she’s a great player. Again, how is she not the day 1 target. Kim, Amber and Tyson are 3 people and none of them are close to Sandra. If these people don’t see Sandra as the top threat to win the game, they are truly stupid. It couldn’t be more obvious who the biggest threats are and they already seem to be getting embedded like ticks.
What are you talking about?  There has only been 1 advantage from EoE ... the HII from Natalie to Sandra.

if that's what he meant ... meh

it's not like Amber can send things over and over to Rob.  For one thing, she has to beat out the folks on EoE to even have the items to try and sell.  For another, Rob only has 2 tokens and once those are gone he wouldn't be able to buy anything more (unless someone else gives Rob their tokens, but I would doubt that).

it's not like Amber can send things over and over to Rob.  For one thing, she has to beat out the folks on EoE to even have the items to try and sell.  For another, Rob only has 2 tokens and once those are gone he wouldn't be able to buy anything more (unless someone else gives Rob their tokens, but I would doubt that).
That is what he meant. Jeremy and Rob got a token, Sandra the HII. So 2 out of 3 to them. They are advantages as I think tokens will be pretty important. 

The only thing about this season I don’t like is EoE. Hopefully they have frequent return contests to keep the population over there small and prevent a player from laying low for a long time. 

Have you met Ben?  

bryhamm said:

That’s what I meant. 4 tokens is an advantage according to the menu so Rob’s already half way there. Amber can also get more things. She’s #2, there’s likely to be a lot more stuff for her and Natalie if they’re looking.

Also, anyone working with Rob or pissed about getting blind sided could easily go with him to mess up other people.

Rob knew Sandra would be there.

Sandra knew Rob would be there.

They both knew Amber would be there.

All 3 knew Rob and Sandra would be on opposite tribes initially (editing... of course they aren't going to put them on the same tribe initially).

Which means Sandra would be on Amber's tribe.

Sandra lies and says Rob lied to her about being on the show and acts like she is pissed.  Taking some heat off her on her tribe (that Rob guy is the bad guy) and a focus to get Amber out which was going to happen anyway at some point, so part of the plan.  Amber was going to be the "early" sacrificial lamb the whole time.

Now Rob gets to act pissed that "OMG Sandra got Amber voted out, so now I'm pissed at her and IT's ON"....taking some heat off of Rob on his tribe (Sandra is the bad guy)

So now, both Rob and Sandra have both taken some early heat off of them by deflecting the focus of both of their tribes to somebody on the other tribe....and they start sucking people in "cause they are pissed" and want to take out the "bad guy".  Hoping other players buy in and feel the need to keep both of them around in order to eventually get rid of the other "bad guy".

Meanwhile they coast along pulling all the strings until they get to the merge.  Where they will team up (although acting like they aren't) and cruise to the end. 

As far as the game goes Rob and Amber have agreed to use Amber however best they can knowing she won't win.....the whole "I want to beat my husband thing" means absolutely nothing.  Anything Rob and Sandra get out of Amber being around, on Extinction, back in the game, tokens, whatever, is just gravy.

This is all being set up as another "lesson" from Rob and Sandra about how stupid all of your were for not getting rid of us IMMEDIATELY.  Did you really think Sandra and I weren't going to talk about how to work together and win this thing when we spent 39 days together? Plus it's 2 mil and we can agree to split or something. 

Hopefully some of the other players figure out what is going on and call Rob and Sandra out on it.  But the "Rob being pissed at Sandra" and "Sandra being pissed at Rob" is being played to perfection by both of them as it is taking some of that initial "biggest threats in the game" heat off of them. (plus they are both just really ####### good).

All 3 knew Rob and Sandra would be on opposite tribes initially (editing... of course they aren't going to put them on the same tribe initially).

Sandra lies and says Rob lied to her about being on the show and acts like she is pissed.  Taking some heat off her on her tribe (that Rob guy is the bad guy) and a focus to get Amber out which was going to happen anyway at some point, so part of the plan.  Amber was going to be the "early" sacrificial lamb the whole time.

Now Rob gets to act pissed that "OMG Sandra got Amber voted out, so now I'm pissed at her and IT's ON"....taking some heat off of Rob on his tribe (Sandra is the bad guy)

So now, both Rob and Sandra have both taken some early heat off of them by deflecting the focus of both of their tribes to somebody on the other tribe....and they start sucking people in "cause they are pissed" and want to take out the "bad guy".  Hoping other players buy in and feel the need to keep both of them around in order to eventually get rid of the other "bad guy".

Meanwhile they coast along pulling all the strings until they get to the merge.  Where they will team up (although acting like they aren't) and cruise to the end. 

As far as the game goes Rob and Amber have agreed to use Amber however best they can knowing she won't win.....the whole "I want to beat my husband thing" means absolutely nothing.  Anything Rob and Sandra get out of Amber being around, on Extinction, back in the game, tokens, whatever, is just gravy.

This is all being set up as another "lesson" from Rob and Sandra about how stupid all of your were for not getting rid of us IMMEDIATELY.  Did you really think Sandra and I weren't going to talk about how to work together and win this thing when we spent 39 days together? Plus it's 2 mil and we can agree to split or something. 

Hopefully some of the other players figure out what is going on and call Rob and Sandra out on it.  But the "Rob being pissed at Sandra" and "Sandra being pissed at Rob" is being played to perfection by both of them as it is taking some of that initial "biggest threats in the game" heat off of them. (plus they are both just really ####### good).
In addition, Sandra knows things can be sent from EoE to the other players. By helping to put Amber on EoE she is likely helping Rob. I don't think that is an accident. 

Firestick with either Cinema, Cat Mouse, or unlockmytv apps.

If you have Kodi you can find it there.  I download them.  I believe there are other options as well. 
Is anyone watching on 10Play with a VPN? I'm on Season 4 Ep 5, but for some reason the videos don't load anymore. I'm not even getting any type of "you can't access this from outside of the country" error message so I don't think it's a VPN issue.

Is anyone watching on 10Play with a VPN? I'm on Season 4 Ep 5, but for some reason the videos don't load anymore. I'm not even getting any type of "you can't access this from outside of the country" error message so I don't think it's a VPN issue.
I tried the vpn route a while ago and it never worked for me.

Two things that stood out to me from this episode are :

1. Why was Rob doing the puzzle. It seems to me that he would have been a lot more valuable doing the heavy lifting with the chests and cart. 

2. During tribal they don't show Jeremy saying a single word. He was doing a lot of observing. Smart play IMO. 

It feels like every season the group tries to find a way to differentiate themselves to build alliances...even if there's not much there. 

Old people/young people, men/women, etc.

Now we've got people who won recently, and those who won a long time ago. Seems ridiculous. 

Agreed it seems dumb for the favorites not to be voted out immediately, but geez, sometimes you have these own-worse-enemy players like Danni who are so bad it’s impossible not to vote them off. From a numbers standpoint, it really does not hurt the ‘new’ group to eliminate an old player. Of course, when Ben is on your side numbers might not matter. 

Rob: everyone open your bags and let's see.

Everyone: opens bags.

It's hilarious how everyone just follows his orders.
It's amazing.  Not sure why they are all so scared to vote that guy off.  

Someone should have said okay, now we have to do this at every TC, right Rob?  Full transparency.  Course now everyone with idols at TC will just stuff them down shirts/pants.  

The way Rob butchered that puzzle was historic.  And less than that has gotten folks voted off in past seasons.  He's a huge target and now provided absolutely no help in a challenge.  Yet, everyone is still a puppet standing ready to do his bidding.  Incredible.  

I bet Ben and others are watching this back now and thinking how silly they're behaving out there.  Regrets.  

Danni just talked her way off the show for no reason.  "Let's go after... oh I don't know... Parv."  She was still in their alliance and no one was thinking her until she brought up Parv's name.  So dumb and lacked the ability to read the room.  

Tony's ladder was both ridiculous and effective.  Aside from being rickety, the rungs were so far apart he couldn't get his legs up high enough to reach.  

What does Sandra contribute?  She is worthless in any challenge and does nothing around camp but call herself "The Queen" Have no idea how she ever won anything.
She sowes distrust among the players by using what others say about other players  to her about other players at just the right times. She probably is more responsible for getting out other players against her then almost anyone else.

Also wasn't she part of the puzzle solving twosome in the last night challenge?

Rob's social game really is insane. As someone pointed out earlier, he just has the ability to "bully" someone into doing what he wants or giving him info without making himself a target. The dumping out bags thing from last night is a perfect example. Obviously a guy that doesnt have an idol would be in favor of that, as would anyone else who doesn't have one. So Rob basically put everyone in a position to either do what he wants or put a massive target on their back. Even if you don't have an idol and are against the bag dump on principle, there was zero upside to going against him.

Sandra is basically "anyone but me" no matter what. And she goes around subtly causing dissent in order to make that easier. 

All that being said, two tribes worth of past winners should have understood this from day 1 and voted both of them out at the first opportunity. 

This is a pretty far theory which I think I heard someone else say as well but I don't really buy because she has said she feels betrayed in confessionals and also said in a premiere panel she had with Jeff Probst and a few other cast members she felt hurt Rob didn't tell her. I believe she most likely did feel hurt/betrayed but also possibly embellished her feelings so she wouldn't be seen as a pair with Rob like Jeremy and Natalie were because Sandra really only cares about herself in this game. I think I heard that theory floated by Jamal and RHAP and I think there's a good chance it's true. Sandra is an elite social player.

I thought these were winners and they knew how to play???

Instead, we get a bunch of 🐑 following the executioner to their slaughter.

Yup. Three votes in and not one of the big threats sent packing
I would disagree.  We are three votes in but with EoE there are likely 16 votes still to go. There is still plenty of time to eliminate big threats. Nobody is going to forget about Rob, Parvati, Sandra, or Kim (who I would also put up there).

First vote: Natalie - First votes are typically anybody but me votes and apparently Natalie and Jeremy did little to separate themselves. Honestly, it was a disadvantage for them to start on the same tribe together. Natalie and Sarah should have been flipped. Natalie was probably the best female athlete in that tribe so I think taking her out was probably ill advised for everyone besides Adam and Denise who needed to take the target off their backs. Without really fully knowing the tribe dynamics as we probably see less then 1% of what goes on, I'm not sure who the tribe should have targeted first. 

Second vote: Amber - Splitting hairs a bit here, but I think Kim might have been the better choice here. She played arguably the best game of all time in One World and did it on her first try. Most of her cast wanted to take her to the end and she would have beaten almost anyone in the end. She ran circles around that cast. You could argue her cast was full of sheep but Monica and Troyzan from her cast have made final threes in returnee seasons. Granted, I think both were 0 vote finalists.

Rob also ran circles around his cast on Redemption Island but it was his fourth try and based on post game interviews it sounds like there were quite a few people he could not have beaten if they had gotten to the end. Of course, he was smart enough to know who he would and would not beat and is showing again in Winners at War that he is a serious force at Survivor.

To counter the point that voting out Kim would have been the better move, Amber probably would have flipped in a swap if she swapped onto the same tribe as Rob so it seems like the Red Tribe probably made the safer play here even though Kim could flip as well. Tyson, who is probably the fifth biggest threat in the game and also very close friends with Rob in real life (much closer then Lex ever was), was probably not a good choice to vote out first because he is such a beast at challenges.

Third Vote: Danni - Danni was absolutely the right choice for the tribe to vote out even though Parvati is a superior player and a far bigger threat. With EoE in play, I think there are still 16 more player eliminations to get Parvati out.

A swap is likely coming and a Survivor player should aim at alienating as few people as possible in these pre-swap votes so that hopefully no one flips on them after they swap. Had new school voted out Parvati, I feel like Ethan and Rob would have absolutely flipped to red after a swap which would greatly reduce the chances of Jeremy, Adam, Denise, Michele, or Ben winning the game or even making the merge. Plus Danni basically showed you can't count on her long term by flipping on Parvati so quickly. 

For example, after Missy decided to blindside Chelsea last season instead of voting out Karishma, Dean never voted with her again and Karishma still wasn't loyal to Missy (unlike Chelsea) so the move basically cost her two votes. Chelsea was definitely a bigger threat then Karishma but the bigger move is often not the right move.

Finally, when they do swap, Parvati and Rob will likely be voted out in a swap before Ethan, Jeremy, Adam, Denise, Michele,  and Ben if they swap into a minority against the red tribe.

Two things that stood out to me from this episode are :

1. Why was Rob doing the puzzle. It seems to me that he would have been a lot more valuable doing the heavy lifting with the chests and cart. 

2. During tribal they don't show Jeremy saying a single word. He was doing a lot of observing. Smart play IMO. 
1. Rob has been historically excellent in puzzles. I think having just seen his wife voted out probably put him in a bad mental state. Because of that, I agree he should of been doing the heavy lifting but normally he's such a puzzle ace that he would usually be better there despite being one of the stronger players physically.

2. This means absolutely nothing. Tribal council is one to two hours long I believe.  Someone could do 75% of the talking at tribal and be made completely invisible on television if that's how the editors decide to portray that person. I'm pretty sure Jeff picks on everyone and then the editors show what they feel is important to the overall narrative of the season or is a just a really funny moment.

I really don't expect Rob,Sandra or Parvati to win but they really are on a different level.
I would agree with this though I'd also put Kim on their level based on her play in One World.  She's struggled this season and doesn't seem to be playing particularly well from the bottom but at least she's aware she's on the bottom. 

Also, Sophie said otherwise in her confessional, but Tyson was not the right person for her to give half her idol to. If Tyson and Kim remain on the bottom and go to tribal council again then Tyson most likely isn't giving her that idol half. Kim took a gamble and gave it to Sophie. Based on what Yul posted on twitter after week 1 for reasons why he didn't vote out Kim, I think Yul probably would have been the right choice but all of the players are operating on way less information then we as viewers are.

“We’re currently on a streak of 9 consecutive women getting their torch snuffed. The last man to get voted out was Aaron on day 27 of s39. #Survivor”

😯
And yet, Sandra is remarkably not even a target. I’m not a fan of hers but she’s impressive and moving targets.

Knew it wasn't Parvati. No way she gets voted out in a episode with only 2 minutes of air time. 
Yea they arent voting out one of the more popular players with little air time.  Good move though.  They need to get Rob out of there ASAP and Parv as well. 

I have noticed though there is no plan to keep the tribe strong its all strategy from the gate. 

I have noticed though there is no plan to keep the tribe strong its all strategy from the gate. 
:goodposting:

How many kids does Parv have?  Aside from her homemade outfit, she still looks awesome.

Is it me, or is Brad pronouncing her name as Poverty?  :lol:   :unsure:  

Users who are viewing this thread