What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 42: Starts Wednesday March 9, 2022 (7 Viewers)

I’ve warmed up a ton to Tony, right when it looks like he’s in trouble next week.

Sophie is sneaky good.  I don’t remember her at all before this.  Don’t remember Kim or Denise, either.  Maybe I have a mental block on female winners for some reason.

Was that Natalie’s kid or her sister’s?  I love Natalie but agree it wouldn’t be fair for her to come back in.  At this point rooting for Yul to return.
Sophie is really sneaky good, yes.  I don't remember Kim or Denise's wins either.  

I think it was Natalie's sister's child.  

I'd really like to see Yul get a chance also.  I wonder what Rob's reaction was to seeing Tyson back on EoE.  Now he has to beat another strong challenge player to get back into the game.  

Actually, I don’t think that was the smartest move by Jeremy. Yes, it got him one more tribal but he’s an easy vote for anyone still in his alliance and Tyson was the guy they showed him talking to most. If Sarah comes over to Denise, Kim and Michelle they’ll all throw Jeremy under the bus now.

His smart play would have been to stay and have Kim use the idol on himself. Protected even if they mess up who got voted for by the other 5 and he still has his walk away.

Also, I think he should have waited as long as possible. If they were working as a team then Sarah plays her thing first and he gets the idol and maybe plays his walk away for Denise and the steal a vote is meaningless as well. I don’t think that was necessary if Kim plays the idol on him. I guess I can blame them for not sorting that out early (tell Jeremy plan is to play HII in him so he doesn’t lose them a group vote.

Again, still don’t get the 4-2 split. If Kim chooses Tyson, Sophie’s gone with an idol and Sarah’s steal a vote is gone and that 5 is now the minority.
Well, yeah...but he has no guarantee that would happen. 

Actually, I don’t think that was the smartest move by Jeremy. Yes, it got him one more tribal but he’s an easy vote for anyone still in his alliance and Tyson was the guy they showed him talking to most. If Sarah comes over to Denise, Kim and Michelle they’ll all throw Jeremy under the bus now.

His smart play would have been to stay and have Kim use the idol on himself. Protected even if they mess up who got voted for by the other 5 and he still has his walk away.

Also, I think he should have waited as long as possible. If they were working as a team then Sarah plays her thing first and he gets the idol and maybe plays his walk away for Denise and the steal a vote is meaningless as well. I don’t think that was necessary if Kim plays the idol on him. I guess I can blame them for not sorting that out early (tell Jeremy plan is to play HII in him so he doesn’t lose them a group vote.

Again, still don’t get the 4-2 split. If Kim chooses Tyson, Sophie’s gone with an idol and Sarah’s steal a vote is gone and that 5 is now the minority.
Yeah, it seemed so discombobulated.  Kim talked to a few of them trying to decide who to play the HII for and they also talked to Jeremy about how they needed him to stay and vote.  Seems all they had to do is tell Jeremy he's getting the idol based on Sara's reaction at TC.  Everyone else was whispering.  Could be the edit, but it looked like no one was whispering to Jeremy.  I could see why he felt he had to play his advantage.  Still, he has a hill to climb now it appears.  

Was another interesting TC.  Fun season so far.  

Jeremy was in a tough spot.  He knew he was the target once Sara kept looking at him to make his move.  But so did everyone else.  Wasn't Jeremy part of Kim's alliance?  He could have kept his advantage for later if he thought/knew Kim would play her HII for him as part of her plan.  Maybe he felt she wouldn't do that. IDK.  Still, he's in a tougher spot now because he let his group down.  

Agree with comments above that say once Jeff says time to vote, no other discussion should be allowed.  

I normally dislike the loved ones reunions but this one was cool with the children included.  Although it did take half the show.  

The votes didn't seem to add up.  Didn't they skip or not show a vote?  Was it a 3rd vote for Sophie or a single vote for someone else? 
I think they didn’t bother showing one of the other votes for Sophie. As soon as Denise was done at 2 and Tyson had a 3rd, showing one more for Sophie added no drama because Tyson was already done knowing they had 6 votes. Even if they did the smart 3-3 split forcing a revote, it would just be all 6 for Tyson. Remember that Jeff orders those for maximum TV suspense.

I don’t think one of the 4 voted for Tyson because honestly they could have “won” tribal if Kim picked Tyson. Those 4 had no idea who the 5 were voting for anyway.

Yeah, it seemed so discombobulated.  Kim talked to a few of them trying to decide who to play the HII for and they also talked to Jeremy about how they needed him to stay and vote.  Seems all they had to do is tell Jeremy he's getting the idol based on Sara's reaction at TC.  Everyone else was whispering.  Could be the edit, but it looked like no one was whispering to Jeremy.  I could see why he felt he had to play his advantage.  Still, he has a hill to climb now it appears.  
Hard to know with the editing is correct. If they knew he was walking it’s better to not make it seem like he just got scared if he wasn’t included in the HII discussions. I do think he knew but just didn’t want to take a chance. I think the other 4 looked really upset when he left because I do think he was the vote and that they knew it. I think Kim deciding who to put it on had more to do with Jeremy not being there than her deciding at that point.

Well, yeah...but he has no guarantee that would happen. 
True, but unlike Sandra’s anyone but me, Jeremy was on the outs. Sandra’s strategy works if you are actually in a group. A lone wolf never makes it especially if there’s no reason for the majority to use them. I think he’ll be gone soon if he doesn’t win immunity. The other 3 will stay together and be more than happy to get another tribal if it’s not them. Michelle worked with Nick, so it wouldn’t be hard for her to ask him to vote Jeremy.

It could have backfired but I do think he knew about the idol. The majority doesn’t have to huddle if he wasn’t their vote. It honestly would have just made it easier for them. I’m pretty sure the other 5 knew Jeremy was the vote too and they would have been able to flip it. Jeremy got worried and left. I can’t blame him for wanting to leave with no guarantee but he’s got no shot to win. If he’s part of the new majority, he’s got a shot. It’s like Adam, he was so happy to get Rob out and didn’t think any farther than that. If I am a guy with no friends then I do what’s necessary to get my sort of alliance on top. I’ve got the benefit of thinking long term but that was a pivotal moment that turned into a whimper based on pure vote count and turning the HII play into a coin flip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't watched Survivor for a few years I think until these last couple. When did they start allowing all this secret strategy discussion at tribal council? It kind of ruins the show, IMO.

I hadn't watched Survivor for a few years I think until these last couple. When did they start allowing all this secret strategy discussion at tribal council? It kind of ruins the show, IMO.
They never explicitly said it wasn't allowed, but nobody ever did it.

Not sure if there was a stealth rule change or if people just decided the reward outweighed the risk, but now it happens every season at nearly every TC.

I don’t think one of the 4 voted for Tyson because honestly they could have “won” tribal if Kim picked Tyson. Those 4 had no idea who the 5 were voting for anyway.
Not sure how accurate it is and maybe I'm misreading it but wikipedia says Michelle voted for Tyson. 

Link to video of voting results

Had to look up the voting results. Team A was Tony, Sarah, Sophie, Nick, and Ben.  Team B was Kim, Tyson, Denise, Jeremy, and Michelle.  Jeremy left making Team A have a 5-4 advantage.  Sophie steals Denise's vote, giving them a 6-3 advantage.  I think they did this so they could split the vote 3-3-3 so no matter who Team B played an idol for, it would force a revote.  That actually seems like a good strategy, then it gets weird.

Michelle flipped and voted for Tyson (loved the look on her face as she was voting).  Sarah split her own votes between Denise and Tyson.  You have to think the plan was to go 3-3-3 but someone on Team A voted for the wrong person.  Perhaps it was Sarah, maybe she was supposed to play both on Denise (would have been fitting the way Denise dispatched Sandra).  That could have gone horribly wrong for Team A if Michelle didn't flip and Kim played the idol on the right person, Sophie would have gone home.

Not sure how accurate it is and maybe I'm misreading it but wikipedia says Michelle voted for Tyson. 
How would she have known? They clearly changed their minds and she wasn’t over there. I really don’t believe it because that would be legendarily stupid as Michelle could tell Kim. Voting was done before she picked who to give the idol to and also, if they had 7 votes, why in the world wouldn’t they split the vote 4-3? A 5-2 vote accomplishes nothing. Sophie and Nick (Sarah, Ben and Tony can have bonehead moments) are too smart to vote 5-2 instead of 4-3 when they only have 2 opposing votes (if Michelle is with them).

I think they are making an assumption and it could be correct. It just doesn’t make sense.

How would she have known? They clearly changed their minds and she wasn’t over there. I really don’t believe it because that would be legendarily stupid as Michelle could tell Kim. Voting was done before she picked who to give the idol to and also, if they had 7 votes, why in the world wouldn’t they split the vote 4-3? A 5-2 vote accomplishes nothing. Sophie and Nick (Sarah, Ben and Tony can have bonehead moments) are too smart to vote 5-2 instead of 4-3 when they only have 2 opposing votes (if Michelle is with them).

I think they are making an assumption and it could be correct. It just doesn’t make sense.
I found a link to the voting results from CBS (posted right before you).  It is correct.  

ETA:  I don't think Michelle was with them, I think she just flipped for some reason.

Link to video of voting results

Had to look up the voting results. Team A was Tony, Sarah, Sophie, Nick, and Ben.  Team B was Kim, Tyson, Denise, Jeremy, and Michelle.  Jeremy left making Team A have a 5-4 advantage.  Sophie steals Denise's vote, giving them a 6-3 advantage.  I think they did this so they could split the vote 3-3-3 so no matter who Team B played an idol for, it would force a revote.  That actually seems like a good strategy, then it gets weird.

Michelle flipped and voted for Tyson (loved the look on her face as she was voting).  Sarah split her own votes between Denise and Tyson.  You have to think the plan was to go 3-3-3 but someone on Team A voted for the wrong person.  Perhaps it was Sarah, maybe she was supposed to play both on Denise (would have been fitting the way Denise dispatched Sandra).  That could have gone horribly wrong for Team A if Michelle didn't flip and Kim played the idol on the right person, Sophie would have gone home.
How did Michele know when the 5 huddled? I can see someone voting incorrectly and it could have been a disaster if Kim plays the idol for Tyson. It makes no sense that Kim didn’t know Tyson but Michelle did. Why would the 5 with 6 votes take the chance of telling Michelle? As you said 3-3-3 gets them at worst a revote and an easy 6-3 vote off Tyson.

Michelle must have just guessed right, pick one of the 3 others. Maybe she thought Kim would definitely save herself so add a vote to Denise or Tyson. The voting was over before Kim used her idol.

That said, if she guessed the 5 are very lucky and definitely screwed up the split.

Michelle must have just guessed right, pick one of the 3 others. Maybe she thought Kim would definitely save herself so add a vote to Denise or Tyson. The voting was over before Kim used her idol.

That said, if she guessed the 5 are very lucky and definitely screwed up the split.
That's what I think.  The look on her face at the voting urn seemed to indicate she was confused.  I think she knew Kim had the idol and thought she would ultimately save herself, so she tried to throw a tipping vote over in case it was a 3-3-3.  She guessed correctly.  Very lucky for Team A.

Also, no one going over to whisper with Jeremy was his sign he was done. It was the smart move for him to leave. He was definitely the target, which is why they had to strategize again so much after he left. 
Things change so much from one tribal to another.  There's always some new target that people seem to zero in on.   

I think the first few seasons nobody ever talked at tribal.   Just basically marched in and  voted.  Then Jeff started talking, stirring up crap and sometimes outing people and their plans.  That is when all the chatter started.  Sometimes Jeff says and gives away too much info at tribal.  I guess they feel it makes better drama for TV .

I think the first few seasons nobody ever talked at tribal.   Just basically marched in and  voted.  Then Jeff started talking, stirring up crap and sometimes outing people and their plans.  That is when all the chatter started.  Sometimes Jeff says and gives away too much info at tribal.  I guess they feel it makes better drama for TV .
I'm all for the Jeff talking at Tribal and people talking to him. That went on as far back as I can remember. But this huddling up whispering in each other's ears is a whole new thing for me. Don't like it. 

I'm all for the Jeff talking at Tribal and people talking to him. That went on as far back as I can remember. But this huddling up whispering in each other's ears is a whole new thing for me. Don't like it. 
Well at least you know if you are on the outs when nobody is talking to you.

I’ve warmed up a ton to Tony, right when it looks like he’s in trouble next week.

Sophie is sneaky good.  I don’t remember her at all before this.  Don’t remember Kim or Denise, either.  Maybe I have a mental block on female winners for some reason.

Was that Natalie’s kid or her sister’s?  I love Natalie but agree it wouldn’t be fair for her to come back in.  At this point rooting for Yul to return.
I thought it was Nadiya's, but this post from EW.com confirmed it:

How jealous is Nadiya that you’re here?
Nadiya’s not jealous at all! She’s busy raising her baby. Nadiya had her baby — she’s, like, 3 months old — so hopefully when I make it and if we have family visits, baby Trinity and Nadiya can come hang out with me on the beach for a couple of hours.

Based on what people have said in the past, I dont think Jeff gives away things at tribal. When they edit, it may seem that way, but if he asks several players the same questions, it doesnt reveal much IMO. Naturally, they only show the one person answering that is pertinent to the edit. 

Based on what people have said in the past, I dont think Jeff gives away things at tribal. When they edit, it may seem that way, but if he asks several players the same questions, it doesnt reveal much IMO. Naturally, they only show the one person answering that is pertinent to the edit. 
True, I remember when Skupik was on and they interviewed him on local TV.  He said many times when there is down time filming contestants are shooting the crap with Jeff and the crew members like hanging with friends.

BeTheMatch said:
I agree.  All the whispering at TC is dumb.  Shouldn't be allowed. Only conversations should be between Jeff and the cast or open dialogue.

I agree.  All the whispering at TC is dumb.  Shouldn't be allowed. Only conversations should be between Jeff and the cast or open dialogue.
Agreed, I'd be on board with a new rule that anything said at TC must be said out loud for everyone to hear, no more whispering.

Some are claiming this to be the best survivor season ever. I like it but I still think Heroes vs Villains was the best season to date. What say you?

Some are claiming this to be the best survivor season ever. I like it but I still think Heroes vs Villains was the best season to date. What say you?
Too early to say, game is usually just getting good at this point after the merge and it's already been really damn good so that's a good sign. But a lame winner could kill it. Hopefully it just keeps getting better

Quote from Jeff from an interview:

we have had to lose so many other fantastic moments this season due to time. One of my favorite moments involved a role reversal between me and the players. It happened at the start of an immunity challenge. I took back the two pieces of the tribe immunity idol, and walked back to the pedestal to say, “Once again, immunity is up for grabs!” But I couldn’t get the pieces back together properly. I kept trying different versions, but they wouldn’t line up. The players immediately started mocking me!  “Probst is reallllllllly struggling.  Puzzles are not his thing!  You need to pick it UP!!!  This is when you have to dig deep!” It was a really funny moment of payback, but as we had to trim the episode for time, ultimately the bigger story of the two million dollar game won out.

I wish we'd seen that. The bond between a host and players on a game show is not something that exists in any other brand, I love this behind the scenes stuff. Jeff Probst just really appreciates the position he's in and loves the game for what it is. Career retrospectives aren't gonna do him justice or be framed correctly imo but this quote from him in this same interview says a lot about his mindset: 

In terms of expressing how I personally feel about Survivor players, the loved one gesture comes the closest to expressing my truth. I am in awe and forever indebted to everyone who has ever played the game. But that is not always clear. Over the course of the 39 days, things can get emotional between me and the players. There are perceived power imbalances in our roles, some players feel more or less liked by me, the list is long. By the time a season is finished, I often feel the players see me more as an adversary than an ally. And I understand that perception, as they are fighting every single day to stay alive and I am often seen as one more annoying obstacle.

But that’s not how I see them. I see them as examples of what is possible if you’re willing to risk. I see them as teachers if you’re willing to listen. I see them as humans who are seeking something, and Survivor is the experience they have chosen to find it. So, to finally get to your question… the moment when the jury came over and hugged me was the most personal and powerful moment I’ve ever had with a group of players. It moves me to this day, because it best represents the exchange of energy I always seek.
Link: https://ew.com/tv/survivor-jeff-probst-winners-at-war-loved-ones-episode-10-interview/

Too early to say, game is usually just getting good at this point after the merge and it's already been really damn good so that's a good sign. But a lame winner could kill it. Hopefully it just keeps getting better
Sara and Sophie dominating game right now.  Unless they get broken up, one of them will win. 

Quote from Jeff from an interview:

I wish we'd seen that. The bond between a host and players on a game show is not something that exists in any other brand, I love this behind the scenes stuff. Jeff Probst just really appreciates the position he's in and loves the game for what it is. Career retrospectives aren't gonna do him justice or be framed correctly imo but this quote from him in this same interview says a lot about his mindset: 
That would have been nice to see actually.  They did show us the EoE folks at TC (jury) go give Jeff a big ole hug after TC at the end of the episode as a thank you for including them in family visits.  That was cool and an example of those types of moments in the article you linked above.  

Cirie probably should have won.  Very good player.  I'd add Devens.  Still think he got shafted by a late returner from EoE.  Aubrey was a fierce competitor too.  

Ozzie was a good player but lacked the social skills to be considered one of the best.  But for pure challenge beast, Ozzie and Joe would be up there.  
I think I'd have to go Russel Hantz. No social game, but he was a player. 

Funny that a lot of people don't remember Kim. That is the season I bailed on, it was quite evident half way through her season she was going to win and I found her annoying from the beginning.

I think I'd have to go Russel Hantz. No social game, but he was a player. 
I liked Russel a lot at the time, he was entertaining and I'd argue then that he should have won and bitter juries kept him from it.

But looking back and having watched a lot more survivor isn't it possible that instead of being a genius who happened to piss people off he's actually just the most hyped and egotistical goat brought to the end ever? Everyone hated him which meant keeping him around was smart, right to the very end. We tend to view that hate as blinding for the jury because he was entertaining to watch but what if it's the other way around and the people who won instead were actually better players precisely because they knew he was hated and invested in that. 

Idk, just something I've thought about his game in recent years. He still changed the game and is an iconic part of Survivor history (and probably changed the way it is filmed and produced as he's detailed how he came up with a system to find more Hidden Immunity idols). I'm just not sure anymore that he "should" have won the way I've felt other players should have. 

Amanda lost multiple times due to poor Final Tribal performances after arguably playing the best game. Biggest choker of all time who probably would have won at least once if there was no litigation at Final Tribal.

Cirie is another good one. Aubrey had one stolen imo. 

Can't remember any others but I can't stand to hear about Ozzy/Malcolm/Joe types who were beasts and providers. They were never threats to win and people who think of them as some of the best players ever are usually older school fans who miss the days when catching fish actually gave you power and kept you around. 

Re: Hantz

Its been a while since I watched him play (and I'm not one for going back and re-watching old seasons) but i think he clearly got screwed in the first game. He was an absolute puppet master and totally ran the game from start to finish. Obviously not a NICE guy by any means, but I thought (at the time) that he kept enough of his arrogance and mean-spirited stuff ("My dumb ### girl alliance", pouring out canteens, burning socks) unknown to the others that he should have easily won. At the time, I thought the jury not picking him was pure bitterness from getting totally outplayed. That Natalie chick did absolutely nothing besides look great in a bikini.

On his second season, he was a complete and utter #######, right out in the open. Seemed like he was pretty confident that he'd won his first season (he played back to back, so he didn't know he'd lost yet) and figured "well, I might as well take it up a notch".

Obviously "social game" is a huge part of the show. I guess I just feel like that should be more about manipulating people and figuring out their plans than just flat out being nice. (which obviously he wasn't). But the bottom line is that the game is the game and there haven't been too many winners that were flat out unlikable.  Ironically, Sandra might be the most unlikable winner ever. Although maybe I'm just remembering her "I'm the queen" attitude from her recent seasons and not the seasons when she won.

not a fan of extinction island.  those people are still on the show.. sort of? but they have to languish outside of the game..... for now?

possibly they can come back in when the number of people on the island = the number of people in the game.... maybe not?

maybe one person comes back at the end like in... Redemption? and can sweep to the win because people are bitter about those who played the full 39 days.'

i dunno. not a fan of segregating people for huge portions of the actual game and dangling a "these people might come back!" carrot.

not a fan of extinction island.  those people are still on the show.. sort of? but they have to languish outside of the game..... for now?

possibly they can come back in when the number of people on the island = the number of people in the game.... maybe not?

maybe one person comes back at the end like in... Redemption? and can sweep to the win because people are bitter about those who played the full 39 days.'

i dunno. not a fan of segregating people for huge portions of the actual game and dangling a "these people might come back!" carrot.
Hate it and it gave us the worst winners/endings ever

Did anybody else feel that taking the families to exile was a “thank you, rob” thing?  Having his whole family represented on survivor.
No. I think it was thank you survivor players for making the show a success for a long time. 
If you think about the logistics of getting all those family members there, and not knowing who will be in the game, on EoE, or out of the game (like Sandra), it probably made the most sense to bring them all. And since they would all be there, might as well let the EoE people get to see them, even if they didn't get to have a cookout. 

I hate the whispering at TC.  I think it defeats most of the strategizing and ability to think in the sour of the moment.  I wish they would disallow it completely.  If you have something to say everyone gets to hear it.

As far as Jeff and his questions, he has said many times that he doesn't watch any of the tape of what happens at camp.  He likes to figure out things just from his personal views of the interactions at challenges and tribal.  He thinks it leads to better interviewing and more spontaneous revelations.  

I thought they should have had to go directly to vote once Jeremy played his advantage.  Getting to reset took away from the strategy to me. I thought that was a negative.  I wonder if it would have been better if he went to vote and then played the advantage and left from there.  Although I guess that would have been a different dynamic as som votes could have already been cast for him.  Maybe allow those players to revote at that time?  I know it would be a different advantage but maybe an interesting idea for next time.

Users who are viewing this thread