What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Puerto Vallarta: Who's been, what's cool, what to avoid? (1 Viewer)

tommyGunZ

Footballguy
Who's been?  I'm 43 yrs old and will have wifey, 6 yr old daughter, and 4 yr old son in tow.  Currently leaning toward staying at Velas Vallarta, but could be persuaded otherwise.

Resort recommendations?  Family dining spots?  Local excursions?  

Puerto Vallarta is great. Excellent mix of culture/history with laid back beach life.

I got married there in 2011. Did a fairly affordable all-inclusive resort since we had a number of guests. The resort used our wedding to film a promo - Get Married at Dreams Villamagna (I'm the groom, not the 20-something dude with abs they used to show off the spa/etc).

I would give it a solid thumbs-up for family vacation but keep in mind that it's one of those resorts that's lined up down the beach with thirty other resorts and it's a cab ride away to do anything "in" Puerto Vallarta.

We stayed in Puerto Vallarta for the honeymoon but switched to Hacienda San Angel and it was nothing short of amazing. It's a combination luxury resort and art museum with one of the best restaurants in the region. I could talk about that experience at length, but to be honest, it's probably not what you're after when it comes to bringing a 6-yr-old and 4-yr-old with you.

I will say the coolest thing about Hacienda San Angel is that it's NOT a beach resort. It sits higher up the hill in the city so the views are breathtaking. You then walk everywhere which is awesome. (Side note, Puerto Vallarta is built on a steep hill with narrow streets so the cab ride to Hacienda San Angel was an adventure, where you're looking out the windshield thinking "this is it, I'm going to die right here in Mexico.")

Definitely plan a day or half-day around the Malecon. Fun shopping and neat stuff to see (and when you venture inland away from the beach, there are these giant iguanas all over the place, just chilling in the trees). 

We did a day-sailing thing around Banderas Bay that was worth the money.

One thing to recognize is that Puerto Vallarta now effectively includes Nuevo Vallarta. The latter is the string of resorts that are all on better beaches (i.e. sandy/pretty) than historical Puerto Vallarta. Best comparison (if you've traveled on the other coast of Mexico) is what Playa del Carmen used to be when compared to Cancun. The beaches in Puerto Vallarta are largely rocky. Not bad, but just different than what you often think of when considering a beach getaway.

I'll stop droning on. You'll have a great time. Good luck!  :thumbup:

I went to Neuvo Vallarta,  I thought the resort I stayed at was truly wonderful.  Villa La Estancia.     But the wind was horrible, the town was just ok, the beach wasn't that great, and I don't think I'd go again.

Puerto Vallarta is great. Excellent mix of culture/history with laid back beach life.

I got married there in 2011. Did a fairly affordable all-inclusive resort since we had a number of guests. The resort used our wedding to film a promo - Get Married at Dreams Villamagna (I'm the groom, not the 20-something dude with abs they used to show off the spa/etc).

I would give it a solid thumbs-up for family vacation but keep in mind that it's one of those resorts that's lined up down the beach with thirty other resorts and it's a cab ride away to do anything "in" Puerto Vallarta.

We stayed in Puerto Vallarta for the honeymoon but switched to Hacienda San Angel and it was nothing short of amazing. It's a combination luxury resort and art museum with one of the best restaurants in the region. I could talk about that experience at length, but to be honest, it's probably not what you're after when it comes to bringing a 6-yr-old and 4-yr-old with you.

I will say the coolest thing about Hacienda San Angel is that it's NOT a beach resort. It sits higher up the hill in the city so the views are breathtaking. You then walk everywhere which is awesome. (Side note, Puerto Vallarta is built on a steep hill with narrow streets so the cab ride to Hacienda San Angel was an adventure, where you're looking out the windshield thinking "this is it, I'm going to die right here in Mexico.")

Definitely plan a day or half-day around the Malecon. Fun shopping and neat stuff to see (and when you venture inland away from the beach, there are these giant iguanas all over the place, just chilling in the trees). 

We did a day-sailing thing around Banderas Bay that was worth the money.

One thing to recognize is that Puerto Vallarta now effectively includes Nuevo Vallarta. The latter is the string of resorts that are all on better beaches (i.e. sandy/pretty) than historical Puerto Vallarta. Best comparison (if you've traveled on the other coast of Mexico) is what Playa del Carmen used to be when compared to Cancun. The beaches in Puerto Vallarta are largely rocky. Not bad, but just different than what you often think of when considering a beach getaway.

I'll stop droning on. You'll have a great time. Good luck!  :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing.  We're headed that way for a friend's wedding in June, so thanks for the pro tips.  

With kids I would avoid the old fishing village (stayed there in 1972 for a week). It grew up into a resort town only to be over run with drugs and hos and a non stop party. I spent the summer of 87 there.  I created a job selling charters on Vladimir's boat. Learned to sail it too. By the end of summer, he'd take a day off and let me run things. Mainly I cruised the beach for the best looking girls to take sailing for a fee, or not if we had nothing else going. His riverboat excursion is the way to go with kids. Tell him you're friends with "Jerry" from San Diego, the guy he took under his wing in 87. Awesome guy, amazed he's still at it. He hand-built that boat in Yugoslavia and sailed it to Mexico solo. Turned it into a business and never went home.

I have expat friends north of there living on the Nayarit Riviera. Punta Mita is gorgeous and a little more than a half hour from your hotel. There's a long sweet south swell outside the Hotel Cinco, like Rincon with no crowd or the 3rd point at Scorps, just perfect for teaching kids to surf and having a blast with a rented SUP. There's flat and glassy beaches 10 minutes across the peninsula with solid snorkeling. This would be a good day north with a rental car. End it at sunset in Sayulita at La Rustica for pizza and spicy Mexican chocolate dipped bananas on the beach with the kids. 40 minutes and you're back at the Hotel, and you've seen a resort area (Punta Mita) more elegant than PV's and an old Mex beach village turned expat boom town to which you will consider retiring (Sayulita).

Last edited by a moderator:
What to avoid? Make sure to check the ceiling when doing cocaine in a bathroom stall. Many clubs have mirrors up there to catch you. And it'll cost you everything you have in your pocket at the time to not spend the rest of your years rotting in a Mexican prison.

Or so I'm told....

:blackdot:

Going in late September.  We are staying at the Westin Resort which is between Nuevo Vallarta and Old Puerto Vallarta.  Since this is not all inclusive, any restaurant and activity recommendations are welcome.  We will definitely be wandering the historical parts of the city.

:blackdot:

Going in late September.  We are staying at the Westin Resort which is between Nuevo Vallarta and Old Puerto Vallarta.  Since this is not all inclusive, any restaurant and activity recommendations are welcome.  We will definitely be wandering the historical parts of the city.
Late - how late?

Fiancee and I, plus our roommates (a married couple) are going the first 10 days. Returning to Secrets Vallarta Bay, which is all inclusive, but we're hoping to venture off resort a few times this year. Will report back!

if any of you are feeling a little more adventurous than the typical AI, you could try here... about 15 minutes south of PV. my very good friend's wife's family co-owns (I think they still do- it's been a long time) it with an amazing mexican family. it's an eco-resort on a bay/beach only accessible by boat (and since mexico's beaches are all public, tourist party boats show up most days because it's a nice beach and spot). I spent 4 or 5 days there for my friends' wedding... incredible spot, food, beach, staff, everything.

Late - how late?

Fiancee and I, plus our roommates (a married couple) are going the first 10 days. Returning to Secrets Vallarta Bay, which is all inclusive, but we're hoping to venture off resort a few times this year. Will report back!
Looking forward to your report! We're going the last week of September, into early October.

Late - how late?

Bump to hear your trip report, @Instinctive! I leave a week from today!

Scoresman said:
Bump to hear your trip report, @Instinctive! I leave a week from today!
Totally would have forgot!

We tried a new excursion company (NOT Vallarta Adventures) called "Eco-Sail" and it was fantastic. We just picked the Marietas Islands tour, and they went out and they had a bunch of yummy pastries on the sailboat (also has a motor) for breakfast, served homemade coffee and salsa, made lunch for everyone, had some beers on board for the trip back across the bay, and every single crew member was awesome. Add to that, we got out there, saw the hidden beach line wasn't too long, and they were like uhh we're gonna take you there too, which was amazing. Would highly highly highly recommend them. 

Not to say the Vallarta Adventures ones are bad. Just that these guys were awesome.

We stay at Secrets, which has access to Now Amber also for all the restaurants. Weather was good the whole time - not too hot in the mornings, some good sun all afternoon, and rain in the evening and at night. We took it pretty easy most of the time with just the one excursion, and really kicked back to relax. Knowing now some of the things we learned the year before also we found the secret flaming Mexican coffee show at one of the restaurants, there's one bartender who does a cool bottle juggling/tossing show and flaming sambucha shots, etc. Just finding those little fun things made the trip really neat. So when you get to your resort, I suggest finding a bartender who seems cool and asking if there are any less well-known resort activities or fun little shows.

Totally would have forgot!

We tried a new excursion company (NOT Vallarta Adventures) called "Eco-Sail" and it was fantastic. We just picked the Marietas Islands tour, and they went out and they had a bunch of yummy pastries on the sailboat (also has a motor) for breakfast, served homemade coffee and salsa, made lunch for everyone, had some beers on board for the trip back across the bay, and every single crew member was awesome. Add to that, we got out there, saw the hidden beach line wasn't too long, and they were like uhh we're gonna take you there too, which was amazing. Would highly highly highly recommend them. 

Not to say the Vallarta Adventures ones are bad. Just that these guys were awesome.

We stay at Secrets, which has access to Now Amber also for all the restaurants. Weather was good the whole time - not too hot in the mornings, some good sun all afternoon, and rain in the evening and at night. We took it pretty easy most of the time with just the one excursion, and really kicked back to relax. Knowing now some of the things we learned the year before also we found the secret flaming Mexican coffee show at one of the restaurants, there's one bartender who does a cool bottle juggling/tossing show and flaming sambucha shots, etc. Just finding those little fun things made the trip really neat. So when you get to your resort, I suggest finding a bartender who seems cool and asking if there are any less well-known resort activities or fun little shows.
:thumbup:   Thanks!

We've already planned day trips to San Sebastian and Sayulita.  Marietas might happen too but we were worried about how crowded it has become.  Will check out Eco-Sail.

We're also doing an evening Taco and Margarita tour in Old PV which looks to be great.  

Weather says rain but from what I hear it's usually sun during the day with rain in the afternoon which seems to be what you experienced.  Our room also has a jacuzzi on the balcony, so looking forward to some rainy nights in the jacuzzi!

Spent a week in late August in Puerto Vallarta at Velas Vallarta, an all inclusive, with my wife and 2 kids (7 and 4 yrs old).  Had a great time, though the heat and humidity was almost oppressive at times.

Thumbs up:  the resort pool was relaxing, food was better than expected, the people were generous and extremely friendly.  Did the Varrata Adventures Las Caletas Beach Tour and the Varrata Adventures Dolphin encounter in Nuevo Vallara and both were outstanding.  Food in general was cheap compared to the States and transportation is dirt cheap. Cabs are like $5 for the entire family. 

Thumbs down:  the poverty in some areas of the city is a bit difficult to see past, and of course that leads to lots of begging and constant sales attempts. The upsales at every turn gets a bit old.  Having to almost fight to get out of the airport when you arrive, and then I spent a half hour changing rooms at the resort when we arrived and negociating with the check in guy is an annoying way to start the vacation.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been there 3 times now over the past 15 years. All three times at the same hotel (oddly under three owners) Camino Real, Dreams Vallarta, and now Hyatt Ziva. The hotel is on the south side of town 5 minutes past old town (a solid 20+ minutes from the airport and the cruise ships). That fact alone makes it nice, but the clincher is they have the only 'private' beach in the city. The property is bordered by two rocky formations that create a natural border. Yes peddlers do show up to show their wares, but they're reasonable, and I've rarely had to fight to get a cabana or whatever you call those grass roofed umbrella things.

First time was as a dating couple (her family had been going there for years). Got married there the second time, and went back almost a year ago with our 8 yo and 5 yo along with some of her family. The hotel and city has changed drastically, but it still feels like a home away from home. 

I'm not one for the canned tours, and would much rather hop a taxi into town and experience some of the culture. That said, I've been horseback riding (complete with lunch and tasting at a tequilla factory), and my wife's done just about all of them over the years (zip lining, dune buggy, parasailing, etc.). 

The malecon is a must, and if you like shopping you can go several block in each direction and several away from the coast as well. While it certainly has gotten more commercialized, it's not like a Cozumel where the cruise ships own the entire thing and every store has the same garbage.

The glass shop on the very southern tip of 'old town' is a favorite stop of ours. (We purchased a piece this last time and they did a superior job of wrapping it for travel home with us).

If you're a little adventurous the shops along the river in old town are an experience. Lots of trinkets and trash, but during the day would be great exposure for the kids. Not the best place to be at night, never had an issue, but why risk it.

El Set is a nice place to grab breakfast, or so they say. I was nursing a nasty hangover but some family members swear by it. Gorgeous views.

Mismaloya is 20 minutes south of the city but some gorgeous area. A fair number of excursions out that way too.

Anyway, ask away I'll help if I can.

Users who are viewing this thread