What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kareem Hunt, CLE (10 Viewers)

FreeBaGeL said:
I think most of those are probably dynasty.  His value is obviously very different in redraft with most of his potential opportunity likely coming beyond this year.
Thanks, completely missed "Dynasty" in the title, so used to catch-all topics.

Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said Kareem Hunt will "definitely have a role" in his expected 2019 debut in Week 10 against the Bills.

It will be Hunt's first regular season action with Cleveland following his eight-game suspension and 4-6 week timetable post-sports hernia surgery. Kitchens remains adamant the free agent acquisition will have a role, but the Browns' abysmal play-calling has barely managed to keep Nick Chubb involved creatively on just 62.5 percent of the team's snaps in his last two games. If Hunt makes an impact against the Bills, it's expected to come from the plate of third-down back Dontrell Hilliard, who's run 39 routes to Chubb's 35 since Week 8.

SOURCE: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter

Nov 4, 2019, 1:40 PM ET

Honestly this is one of the most intriguing backfield situations for ROS.

Chubb, in my mind is elite.

Hunt, in my mind, has also been elite.

This could go so many ways in terms of how splits are handled, how they adjust based on performance, etc.

I don't own shares in either of these guys but am inexplicably fascinated as if I was on one side of the fence or not.

My feeling is that Hunt is used for breathers, but can easily see him exploding in a game or two forcing a very interesting dilemma for Kitchens, as well as for fantasy owners.

:popcorn:

This could go so many ways in terms of how splits are handled, how they adjust based on performance, etc.

I don't own shares in either of these guys but am inexplicably fascinated as if I was on one side of the fence or not.

My feeling is that Hunt is used for breathers, but can easily see him exploding in a game or two forcing a very interesting dilemma for Kitchens, as well as for fantasy owners.

The x factor is the total ineptitude of the Cleveland coaching staff to utilize talent in the right way. 

Hunt was pretty elite for KC, Tom. Personally, I think this offense may look its best when it is run-oriented. It protects Baker and limits mistakes. When you have two elite RBs - with different but complimentary skills sets - then you find a way to use them. Kitchens can see this with the gameplan in NO with Ingram and Kamara in previous years. He has the horses to do this.  

Hunt was pretty elite for KC, Tom. Personally, I think this offense may look its best when it is run-oriented. It protects Baker and limits mistakes. When you have two elite RBs - with different but complimentary skills sets - then you find a way to use them. Kitchens can see this with the gameplan in NO with Ingram and Kamara in previous years. He has the horses to do this.  
Are you sure Kitchens can see this?  There is nothing so far this year that says he can utilize his horses properly. 

Are you sure Kitchens can see this?  There is nothing so far this year that says he can utilize his horses properly. 
I'm not sure Kitchen is the right coach or playcaller. People are entirely too quick to overlook just how good Hunt was in KC. Chubb is a different style of RB but no less effective for sure. He's been the best thing about the Cleveland offense thusfar and some folks are very protective of that notion. Viewing Hunt as a COP or to spell Chubb - entirely possible from Kitchens, I guess - is shortsighted. If Hunt can shake off the rust then he can be every bit the playmaker that Cleveland needs.

Easier for Cleveland to utilize Hunt now that the team's record blows. Had they been the 6-2 team everyone was clamoring about in preseason, it may have been tough to sit Chubb and bring Hunt in. Now that the team is mired in obscurity and irrelevance, no one outside of FF will care.

Anyone rolling him out?  No idea what is to be expected from him.
I am in a league over already thrown the towel on.  But I'm also still rolling out Murray, so that doesn't say much.

Hunt this season is a showcase for where he plays next year.

Kitchen has already subbed Chubb out during the most odd times this season.  The guy is clueless.  This is going to be a nightmare for me/ other owners I am assuming.  I am expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
There would be some logic to throttling back on what Mayfield is expected to do and using these two guys to grind defences into the ground. I have zero confidence that will happen though.

As a hunt and chubb owner I expect kitchens to try and save his job over the next 8 weeks.  This translates into he has no loyalty to anyone imo.  But Chubb has been the best and most consistent part of his offense so I hope and expect him to continue to lean on him.. 

wgoldsph said:
I am in a league over already thrown the towel on.  But I'm also still rolling out Murray, so that doesn't say much.

IIRC, Hunt is a RFA after this season, so the Browns could easily keep him. 

I think Hunt sees more work than Chubb owners would like, but maybe not enough to be a good option himself. Think Jones/Williams, but in a worse offense. Maybe 60/40 Chubb. 

I'd be very surprised if Hunt only got the Duke Johnson/Dontrell Hilliard pass catching only snaps. Hunt is a much greater threat to Chubb than those guys were.

IIRC, Hunt is a RFA after this season, so the Browns could easily keep him. 

I think Hunt sees more work than Chubb owners would like, but maybe not enough to be a good option himself. Think Jones/Williams, but in a worse offense. Maybe 60/40 Chubb. 

I'd be very surprised if Hunt only got the Duke Johnson/Dontrell Hilliard pass catching only snaps. Hunt is a much greater threat to Chubb than those guys were.
Browns will have to match an offer, chances are he's going to be worth more to other teams than he is to them, so while it's possible the Browns spend to keep him, that seems somewhat unlikely.

Browns will have to match an offer, chances are he's going to be worth more to other teams than he is to them, so while it's possible the Browns spend to keep him, that seems somewhat unlikely.
Could they not tender him at a 1st or 2nd round level, or because he was a FA signing, does it not work the same way as it does with your usual RFA?

But the other team would have to give a pick up on top of signing him to that deal, so the question is more whether those other teams are willing to offer it than whether the Browns are willing to match, especially given that pick will be in the range where you could draft a really strong RB this year and pay him a lot less.

Browns can easily afford to pay him a 3rd round tender ($2.1mil) and can pretty easily afford a 2nd ($3.3mil) if they decide they want to.

At that point is anyone going to give up a 2nd round pick AND sign Hunt to a decent sized deal?

I could see a team giving up a 2nd to sign Hunt. He doesn’t have much leverage and would come pretty cheap. A 2nd and a Mark Ingram sized contract seems like a real possibility for a few teams. And I think Cleveland would be happy to take the pick in that scenario.

Cleveland can't use the players currently on their active roster properly, what makes you all think they will with Hunt? i hope he's traded.

wgoldsph said:
Another reason why I think Hunt gets some meaningful split ROS if he shows he's back to form.

I believe there were two reasons why the club signed him in the first place:

1) they like the dual back approach -- attempts were split last year between Hyde and Chubb, which was a big departure from the way they used Crowell in the past. Guess it's possible that they might revert back to leaning on one back, but their usage of Chubb this year seems to refute that's the direction they want to go in.

2) They wanted to give Hunt, who was born in CLE, a second chance in his hometown. Cleveland general manager John Dorsey was the GM in Kansas City from 2013 to 2017. It was his front office drafted Hunt in 2017. I think the FO really like Hunt as a player and believe in him, and thus will be incented to do right by him upon his return -- giving him his shot on the team or in showcasing himself for another team next year.

Going to really be interesting.

over/under 8 touches this week?
I own him and I'm treating him like Alexander Mattison.

Bills are a middle of the road rush defense, but I'd still lean under.

The Browns have played 8 games and rushed 187 times (23 RPG).  On an average Sunday I cringe at the thought of the split being Chubb 14 carries / Hunt 9.....but at least they'd both be fresh for the playoffs.

I own him and I'm treating him like Alexander Mattison.

Bills are a middle of the road rush defense, but I'd still lean under.

The Browns have played 8 games and rushed 187 times (23 RPG).  On an average Sunday I cringe at the thought of the split being Chubb 14 carries / Hunt 9.....but at least they'd both be fresh for the playoffs.
What’s that? Ah - Playoffs? Don’t talk about - playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game!

Any chance he does anything today? Need a flex and thinking of putting him in there. Dumb?
I need an RB with McCoy as the only other option to fill the position in a many-positioned league, so yeah, I think I'm doing it. I'm really hoping that he breaks a screen pass for about forty or so yards and then gets a few other touches to call it a day.

That's my hope.

But it's better than watching Andy symbolically flog McCoy for his fumble in Green Bay two weeks ago. 

Any chance he does anything today? Need a flex and thinking of putting him in there. Dumb?
Kareem Hunt is back and the Browns return home   

...a hungry Hunt, who hasn’t played in more than 350 days, since the Chiefs cut him when a video surfaced of him kicking and shoving a woman.

“I just know he’s ready,’’ said Odell Beckham Jr. “Watching him all week, it just looks good to be able to see him back on the field. I know he’s going to come back, first play he gets the ball I don’t know if there’s going to be many juke moves. Somebody better watch out for either a stiff arm or a shoulder or something. We’re all excited to have him back.’’

...He’s not sure how much he’ll play.

“Whatever they give me, honestly,’’ he said. “I’m going to try to take advantage of every opportunity I get when I get the football or without the football. I’m going to try to make that touchdown block or whatever, anything. Whatever the role is I’m going to take it.’’

His teammates are just as excited to see what happens.

“Fresh legs,’’ said defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson. “Expect the same intensity that (Nick) Chubb is bringing, Kareem is going to bring. A different element to the game. We’ll see. I can’t wait to see it, honestly.’’
 If he's available the time to pick him up is now because the Browns play on Thursday Night so if he does anything today he may be tougher to land  by Thursday.

One has to think, though, that with Chubb's year, he's still got to demand as big a share as he's getting now. From there, it becomes up to Hunt to outplay him in limited playing time.

(I roster Hunt, not Chubb, so my argument isn't self-defeating nor rose-colored, I think.)

Kareem Hunt caught 7-of-9 targets for 44 yards in the Browns' Week 10 win over the Bills, adding four carries for 30 additional yards.

A massive part of the game plan in his Browns debut, Hunt's nine targets were behind only Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry. Hunt added the desired explosive change-of-pace element, though Nick Chubb kept up his hot running. Hunt undoubtedly cost him a few handles. Hunt was also part of a disastrous failed pitch with Baker Mayfield that was initially ruled a fumble six. Replay mercifully revealed it was a "pass." "New toy" syndrome could wear off for coach Freddie Kitchens in Week 11 against the Steelers, but Hunt has immediately established himself as a PPR FLEX.

He did exactly what I expected, and kept me in it with all of my byes this week.  He's good enough that I think he continues to see carries and receptions.  9 targets for the first time out of the gate was nice.

rockaction said:
Game script broke right for him. Also got me through a bye. Hope this continues moving forward. 
I don't think it was game script at all. Antonio Callaway was a healthy scratch and he was the primary read on most (all?) of his touches.

I don't think it was game script at all. Antonio Callaway was a healthy scratch and he was the primary read on most (all?) of his touches.
Hunt is a very talented RB and is going to get touches.  That does hurt Chubb some but it may help keep Chubb healthy for the rest of the season.   

Hunt is a very talented RB and is going to get touches.  That does hurt Chubb some but it may help keep Chubb healthy for the rest of the season.   
This keeps getting written and said, but there is no evidence to suggest it will actually happen. The Browns did not have an unusual amount of snaps yesterday and there was Chubb with his customary 20+ touches. Hunt's snaps and touches were at the expense of Hilliard and Callaway, as they should. 

Thanks.

This keeps getting written and said, but there is no evidence to suggest it will actually happen. The Browns did not have an unusual amount of snaps yesterday and there was Chubb with his customary 20+ touches. Hunt's snaps and touches were at the expense of Hilliard and Callaway, as they should. 
Chubb got a lot of touches yesterday. I figured he'd (Hunt) eat into Hilliard, but Callaway? He did line up at receiver several times I saw, but I figured that would have been Higgins, who, no surprise, got a touchdown yesterday as not a healthy scratch.

most likely he'll remain with the Browns in 2020 due to his restricted free agency, right?
As long as he doesn't screw up between now and tender date, probably. It sounds like Dorsey wants him back, so given the quality of this RB class I think it will be difficult for teams to justify trading a 2 or a 3 and giving him a new contract. I think the only question from the Browns perspective is whether to give him the 2nd round or original pick tender. If someone else really wants him and gives him a contract the Browns won't match then take the draft pick compensation and intend to pick a RB sometime in the top 75. I doubt that happens though.

Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said Kareem Hunt will "continue to get opportunities."

"He's a good football player, he did really good for his first time back, and he'll continue to get opportunities," Kitchens said. Hunt was surprisingly in on 38-of-69 offensive snaps in his Browns debut, being featured on the field alongside Nick Chubb on 43 percent of Cleveland's plays. A massive part of the game plan, Hunt's nine targets finished behind only Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry. Even if his role stays the same moving forward, Hunt has immediately established himself as a PPR FLEX for the rest of the season.
https://twitter.com/ByNateUlrich/status/1193963915765538818

Users who are viewing this thread