What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Four ‘Game Of Thrones’ Offshoot Series In Works At HBO With George R. R. Martin (1 Viewer)

pandora

Footballguy
http://deadline.com/2017/05/game-of-thrones-universe-series-prequel-sequel-spinoff-hbo-george-r-r-martin-dan-weiss-david-benioff-1202084257/

As Game of Thrones is heading into the final chapters of its eight-season run on HBO, the premium cable network has revealed some information about its succession plan, signing deals with four writers to join George R.R. Martin in the development and writing of four GOT offshoot series.

The network would not specify whether the series would be prequels, sequels, spinoffs or companion series to GoT or all of the above only noting that each project would explore different time periods of George R. R. Martins vast and rich universe in his epic fantasy book series A Song of Ice and Fire.

GoT creators/executive producers Dan Weiss and David Benioff, who are finishing up the upcoming seventh season and already are in the midst of writing and preparing for the series eighth and final season, are attached as executive producers on all projects alongside Martin but will not be involved in the writing. The four potential GoT offshoot series will be written by:

• Max Borenstein (Godzilla, Kong: Skull Island)
  • Jane Goldman (Kick-###, Kingsman and X-Men franchises), George R. R. Martin
  • Brian Helgeland (Mystic River, A Knights Tale)
  • Carly Wray (AMCs Mad Man), George R. R. Martin
HBO stresses that all four projects are in development. There is no set timetable for them, and they will be evaluated when the scripts are completed.

It is logical to assume that the network would like to have a new GoT-themed series launch behind the final season of the blockbuster mothership show.

HBO brass had hinted about trying to expand the popular GoT franchise with additional series, including a possible prequel or spinoff. Martin, who is under an overall deal at HBO, also had been alluding to new projects he has in the works at the network.

Game of Thrones is one of the biggest series on television alongside AMCs The Walking Dead, which too got a companion series with prequel Fear the Walking Dead.

Ha.

Hey there, guy who will probably never finish the series we signed on for, wanna make 4 more?

I always approved of GRRM doing whatever the heck he wanted, and the fanboys that are actually angry he is taking his time can cry themselves to sleep on their Star Trek pillows.

That being said, trying to milk four projects out of this guy seems optimistic.

I've worked with HBO, their timelines are crazy. Any of these would be lucky to be on the air in 5 years. With GRRM involved, make it 10.
While I expect this would normally be true, I'd think they'd want to rush any spinoff to piggy back the success of this series.  5 years from now and people will lose interest.  We are fickle that way.

Meh.  The main show has been hit or miss enough the last couple seasons, I can't see these spinoffs being great when we know a lot of the stories already.  

Right?  That's why I told people, Ain't no one going to see Titanic.......
:lol:

I guess I am just saying that I would rather have HBO do something different.  Sure it would be cool to see some of the things in the past - Rebellion, etc.. just saying that IMO there isn't enough stuff to do without it feeling like they are doing it more for a money grab and less because they have good stories to tell.  Of course I haven't liked the last couple seasons as much as others either. 

I guess I am just saying that I would rather have HBO do something different.  Sure it would be cool to see some of the things in the past - Rebellion, etc.. just saying that IMO there isn't enough stuff to do without it feeling like they are doing it more for a money grab and less because they have good stories to tell.  Of course I haven't liked the last couple seasons as much as others either. 
I want to see more, so they can take my money. This isn't Transformers 5. It's Game of Thrones and there are so many backstories I would like to see. How did the wall get built. How did Bronn become a sell sword. How did Varys become so powerful and build up his network of spies. The Rebellion. Dunk and Egg. Maybe a story of the Targaryen's before the line went made due to in breeding

Why rush through the ending of the story if you are just going to go back and start filming new stuff?  I'd rather a few more seasons of the regular show.  Instead of what, like 12 more episodes or whatever.  

4 new series...

Game of Loungers 

Game of Bar Stools

Game of Ottomans

Game of Lazy boys

Wherein we discover GRRM'S furniture fetish.

Sign me up for a Robert's Rebellion 8-10 episode series.

Also, my suggestions:

• Ser Pounce: The Fleabottom Years

• Keeping Up With the Cleganes

• The Real World: Craster's Keep

Sabertooth said:
Why rush through the ending of the story if you are just going to go back and start filming new stuff?  I'd rather a few more seasons of the regular show.  Instead of what, like 12 more episodes or whatever.  
Because that lazy mother####er Martin could keel over any minute and leave the story line twisting in the wind. You know, kind of like he did for the readers of his books. That fat *******, wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire but I digress.

I don't get the hate.  The guy wrote one of the greatest stories of our generation but takes a long time to finish it, so he's an #######?  Im more thanks for the incredible story that only you can tell, and if you use the show to finish it, fine I guess.

I also have no idea why y'all don't think he's not gonna write the books.  He's writing them now.  For all we know, the last two books might be out before the next show. Stop being so angry.

I don't get the hate.  The guy wrote one of the greatest stories of our generation but takes a long time to finish it, so he's an #######?  Im more thanks for the incredible story that only you can tell, and if you use the show to finish it, fine I guess.

I also have no idea why y'all don't think he's not gonna write the books.  He's writing them now.  For all we know, the last two books might be out before the next show. Stop being so angry.
Dude - 5-10 years between books is not just "taking a long time to finish.". That's just being a lazy fat ### who's coasting on his past success.

Dude - 5-10 years between books is not just "taking a long time to finish.". That's just being a lazy fat ### who's coasting on his past success.
I get the frustration, but that's just how he rolls.  Dragons was 5 years wasn't it?

It's weird. The guy wrote something that contributed to a lot of happiness for people. The constant fat ### name calling and vitriol is just so obnoxious. It's his life, he can do what he wants. You'll get the end of the story on hbo. 

That being said, trying to milk four projects out of this guy seems optimistic.
He's already created the GoT universe, so the milk is out of the teat. Once he sells the rights to HBO, his further involvement in the spin-offs is unnecessary. (He apparently will be involved with two of the four, but even if he bails for some reason, I suspect the shows would go on.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the frustration, but that's just how he rolls.  Dragons was 5 years wasn't it?
Six. The next book just passed Dragons for the longest wait a month or so ago.

That said, I agree with those who don't get the hate. Sure, I'd like to see how he winds things up before I die (or he does), but the vitriol and entitlement some feel mystifies me. I understand wanting more, but people actively HATE the guy because the books are "taking too long". What the hell? It's a damned story. It's not the only one.

As to the spinoffs, here's my  :2cents:

1. Robert's Rebellion. This would be the easiest to sell to the general public, IMO. Start a little before the Harrenhall Tournament. One season (two, at the most) should cover it.

2. Dunk & Egg. There's a couple of different ways HBO could go with this. They could "Sherlock" it with just a couple of episodes covering each novella per season. Or, they could create bridges between the stories. Martin has said he's gonna write (at least) 7 of these, so this show could last for years. They could also go back a bit and include the roots of the Blackfyre Rebellion to tie the stories together. 

3. The Dance Of The Dragons. It would be epic, but I doubt if even HBO would want to spend the cash it would take to pull this off. Some names would probably have to be changed - there are two Aegons, for instance - given what they've already done in Game Of Thrones. It's also getting too far away from Game Of Thrones (the TV show) without a bridge. Big gamble, though I'd love to see it.

4. Aegon's Conquest. Some of the same issues with #3 remain, but without all of the confusing in-fighting & cast (The Dance has about a zillion main characters). 

There are some histories earlier than the Targ Invasion that I'd like to see, but I don't know how they'd play with the general public

I agree on the first part.  Great story.  

I don't think we ever see him finish the books though.  

Everybody in here talks like they wouldn't be doing damn near exactly what Martin is doing.  You would be rolling around in your money and probably just showing up for casting calls for Littlefinger's whores and the writing would probably get shoved to about #159 on your priority list. 

Everybody in here talks like they wouldn't be doing damn near exactly what Martin is doing.  You would be rolling around in your money and probably just showing up for casting calls for Littlefinger's whores and the writing would probably get shoved to about #159 on your priority list. 
Yes, but we are not him.  Therefore we get to ##### and complain.

These are gonna be great.  HBO does it right.  There is so much potential here.  Westworld is ok, but they know where the future of their drama production is.  

Wait are they cancelling all their other shows in production?
Well, admittedly I am not an Executive Producer at HBO, but I would imagine that that they have a budget set aside for their shows.  It's not like they do an infinite number of shows, and I would imagine GoT is the most expensive.  So personally I would rather them dump money into new shows than showing us GoT backstory.  My opinion would change slightly if it's continuing on with the story after next season, but not if it's just showing us what we know, as cool as it would be to see some of the battles.  

psychobillies said:

So for the millions of readers who don't get HBO they're just screwed.

The guy wrote an incredible story, developed a world we all love to be transported to and bailed when HBO shoved a check in front of him with a lot of 0's in it. He could finish the books if he wanted to but he won't, he's lazy sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread