What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017-18 NBA (Playoffs): A gasping, wheezing thread begs message board poster arguing how Jordan never lost a Finals to just let it die in peace (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I miss the convo....where we rip LBJ for switching onto Curry before KD's dagger 3, rather then try to shutdown KD in one of the games final possessions?

Are we giving LBJ a pass on that due to the monster screen set by Curry? Saving energy? Etc?
I don't remember that particular play, but my favorite switch of the night was Iguadola running from the corner to the general area of the ball handlers defender (wing area) then continuing to the other side of the paint.  The ball handler's defender was never even touched by Iggy, but switched and Iggy's defender switched to the ball handler.  I don't remember any of the other players involved, so it may have been a much ado about nothing switch, but it caused Van Gundy to go off on the willingness of Cleveland to switch everything even to their detriment and it was classic.

I don't remember that particular play, but my favorite switch of the night was Iguadola running from the corner to the general area of the ball handlers defender (wing area) then continuing to the other side of the paint.  The ball handler's defender was never even touched by Iggy, but switched and Iggy's defender switched to the ball handler.  I don't remember any of the other players involved, so it may have been a much ado about nothing switch, but it caused Van Gundy to go off on the willingness of Cleveland to switch everything even to their detriment and it was classic.

KD ground hog day 3, LBJ switches off.

Let me clarify my LBJ stance as "the first player to use his full force of his pull on an organization".

It piggybacked off Mac32 comment that LBJ forces teams to nix the long term for the short term. Other superstars before had pull but they never applied 100% pressure bc they all signed the longest term deals offered. LBJ is the first to take the shorter deals with annual or biannual player options. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was younger and the internet was in it's infancy.

What did KG do exactly? Joe Smith deal? Trade Starbury? Didn't get along with Wally?
Joe Smith was the big one.  Malik Sealy (unfortunate) was also his buddy we had to sign.  I wouldn't blame Marbury on KG, he was just a knucklehead.  It was a long time ago and I just remember the team trying to placate him for years, made him the highest paid player in the league, then got stuck in a rut and he bails.  Some of the more hardcore guys probably have better details (hard not to have worse details than that summary I guess).

Not the one I was thinking of.

Did I miss the convo....where we rip LBJ for switching onto Curry before KD's dagger 3, rather then try to shutdown KD in one of the games final possessions?

Are we giving LBJ a pass on that due to the monster screen set by Curry? Saving energy? Etc?
That's because we can't process the genius level thinking of James. 

This seems like a stretch and the kind of thing you'd expect from Boston fans. LeBron was playing his 47th minute of the game on a bum ankle, and it's not like he switched onto Patrick McCaw and left Jose Calderon to guard Durant.

I yelled at my screen during the play.  The easy switching by both teams is questionable.  I don't get it.  It's almost like the NBA has a rule that makes them switch and they are just following the rules.

What am I missing here?  It's not enough that GS has a team capable of winning the NBA title with 2 of their 19 All Stars playing like ####, now we have to denigrate the only decent player on the other team because he switched off of the hot hand at the end?  

Durant made a 34 foot contested 3.  That's pretty much exactly the shot Cleveland would've chosen for him to shoot.  A guy makes that and you shrug your shoulders, because it's just ridiculous.  Nothing else you can do.  The LeBron bashing by GS fans is really pretty pathetic IMO.

This seems like a stretch and the kind of thing you'd expect from Boston fans. LeBron was playing his 47th minute of the game on a bum ankle, and it's not like he switched onto Patrick McCaw and left Jose Calderon to guard Durant.
Eh. 

I would have accepted "scheme" as the answer more than that....1 minute left, down 3, and you let Rodney ####### Hood guard KD?

What happened to all the "suck it up" rhetoric or is that just reserved for JR and Hill?

With the way Curry was shooting that game I'd take my chances on Curry vs Hood rather than KD vs Hood.

What am I missing here?  It's not enough that GS has a team capable of winning the NBA title with 2 of their 19 All Stars playing like ####, now we have to denigrate the only decent player on the other team because he switched off of the hot hand at the end?  

Durant made a 34 foot contested 3.  That's pretty much exactly the shot Cleveland would've chosen for him to shoot.  A guy makes that and you shrug your shoulders, because it's just ridiculous.  Nothing else you can do.  The LeBron bashing by GS fans is really pretty pathetic IMO.
I thought LBJ was a great basketball mind and remembers evey play? Wouldn't you think as the best defender on your team to guard the hottest player on the court?

It's crazy how people defend LBJ, that he can do no wrong. Hell even JVG called him out this game.

I believe LBJ has certainly made his claim to GOAT status, so I'm not a 100% hater.

Joe Smith was the big one.  Malik Sealy (unfortunate) was also his buddy we had to sign.  I wouldn't blame Marbury on KG, he was just a knucklehead.  It was a long time ago and I just remember the team trying to placate him for years, made him the highest paid player in the league, then got stuck in a rut and he bails.  Some of the more hardcore guys probably have better details (hard not to have worse details than that summary I guess).

Not the one I was thinking of.
Always thought the Joe Smith deal was just a GM with his hands tied cause of the cap and didn't realize KG forced them too. 

Eh. 

I would have accepted "scheme" as the answer more than that....1 minute left, down 3, and you let Rodney ####### Hood guard KD?

What happened to all the "suck it up" rhetoric or is that just reserved for JR and Hill?

With the way Curry was shooting that game I'd take my chances on Curry vs Hood rather than KD vs Hood.
You understand it was Curry and KD on the pnr right? Two goat shooters....Like what do you expect? 

Charlie Harper said:
Eh. 

"Scheme" was the obvious answer- you seemed to be suggesting that they should abandon it and do something else because it was vitally important that LeBron guard Durant instead of switching onto a two-time MVP guard who led the league in true shooting percentage and had just hit a huge three in a possession when you can't afford to give up a single point because there's under a minute left and you already trail by 3. Hood is a decent defender and was still relatively fresh at that point.  Like @encaitar pointed out it's not like the switch left Durant open for an easy lay-up over a guard who couldn't stop him. He took a 35 footer.

The guy played 47 minutes, after playing 44, 47.5 and a full 48 in a Game 7 in his previous three games at age 33. We have no idea how much that impacts his effectiveness on defense at the end of the game because no other human being would even attempt something so preposterous.  This really seems like a stretch.

"Scheme" was the obvious answer- you seemed to be suggesting that they should abandon it and do something else because it was vitally important that LeBron guard Durant instead of switching onto a two-time MVP guard who led the league in true shooting percentage and had just hit a huge three in a possession when you can't afford to give up a single point because there's under a minute left and you already trail by 3. Hood is a decent defender and was still relatively fresh at that point.  Like @encaitar pointed out it's not like the switch left Durant open for an easy lay-up over a guard who couldn't stop him. He took a 35 footer.

The guy played 47 minutes, after playing 44, 47.5 and a full 48 in a Game 7 in his previous three games at age 33. We have no idea how much that impacts his effectiveness on defense at the end of the game because no other human being would even attempt something so preposterous.  This really seems like a stretch.
but when i play 2K18 fatigue isn't a factor so....... ?

I'll guess Rockets or Lakers over 76ers for LeBron.  I think he'll want to play with friends closer to his own age and he could bring a good one along with the Lakers.

msudaisy26 said:
So Lebron's role next year when he signs with the Warriors. 
While I do not believe it will happen (and frankly I'm not even sure if it could work within the cap) apparently Stephen A. Smith was floating the possibility of James signing with the Warriors this offseason. Some one mentioned it on the ESPN Golic&Wingo radio show this morning. 

I would have to imagine that would pretty much ruin any suspense for a Warrior's 3-peat in '19 - and would not sit too well with most NBA fans.

Ahh I’m in meetings until this afternoon. I want to absorb all this Colangelo news, after John Clark’s last tweet last night had me thinking sixers were going to totally screw this up. 

Hinkie Resignation Letter >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>

>

>

>

Colangelo Trash Letter

Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP said Bottini deleted contents of her iPhone with a factory reset of the device prior to surrendering it for forensic review, limiting the investigation.

Evidence found that Bottini established and operated four accounts -- Eric jr, Still Balling, Enoughunkownsources, and HonestAbe -- but it seemed some of the information being posted was coming from Colangelo himself.

Check out Bryan’s statement about the parting of ways, skirts responsibility and totally trashed his wife. Take your public humiliation like a man Bryan, people will respect you more.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23723964/bryan-colangelo-resigns-president-philadelphia-76ers
dude fails as a human being. So glad to get the stench of that family away from the Sixers, thanks Silver you f'n piece of S. 

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2018/06/bryan-colangelo-lays-waste-to-his-wife-in-statement.html

so which NBA franchise will reach out to Colangelo and try to pick him up? my guess is none, then Silver will make some calls and some teams will be forced to contact the snake

While I do not believe it will happen (and frankly I'm not even sure if it could work within the cap) apparently Stephen A. Smith was floating the possibility of James signing with the Warriors this offseason. Some one mentioned it on the ESPN Golic&Wingo radio show this morning. 

I would have to imagine that would pretty much ruin any suspense for a Warrior's 3-peat in '19 - and would not sit too well with most NBA fans.
If this thread represents NBA fans then it doesn't matter. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread