What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official PSF Moderation Thread*** (5 Viewers)

I'll be honest - I don't think it needs moderation as much as it's called for.

I made a pretty cutting post about Republicans the other day (and have in the past) and have never been called a name or had a reaction of  :lmao:  from right wing guys. Even got a direct response from @Ramblin Wreck that was quite the opposite even though it probably was pretty cutting toward his politics.

Moral of the story (look at me) - by not being snarky or weasly all the time, calling people Trumpkins, or Social Justice Warriors or whatever is the condescending buzzword of the day, you probably haven't experienced a lot of the stuff we all seem to be outraged about (something I do try to never do to a fellow FBG).  We can do it fam.
Not all heroes wear capes.

Moral of the story (look at me) - by not being snarky or weasly all the time, calling people Trumpkins, or Social Justice Warriors or whatever is the condescending buzzword of the day, you probably haven't experienced a lot of the stuff we all seem to be outraged about (something I do try to never do to a fellow FBG).  We can do it fam.

:thumbsup:

Is Social Justice Warrior really a condescending term? Would someone rather fight for injustice?
It shouldn't be.  But it feels that way.  I spend way too much time on Reddit and I'm probably just way too sensitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Social Justice Warrior really a condescending term? Would someone rather fight for injustice?
You didn't know this? Its been used here as a disparaging term for years, and not even just from the usual suspects but from more "centerish" people as well.

Ive never understood it either. I consider myself a bit of a SJW...well, without the actual " warrioring" part. Not the least bit ashamed of it.

Sorry and do t worry I’m done here in the polical forums. I’ll stick to the FFA. There is no denying that Trump people are playing on a slanted field . What happened to Beaver yesterday and today was deplorable. There is one squeaky wheel , a bad hombre if you will , that makes me smh. I like this place but I’m done before I get the Jon mex or Beaver Cleaver treatment
Trump people are not playing on any slanted field.  There are very few of them actually trying to have an substantive discussion on this board.  You do try from time to time.

The one you mention you claim got such poor treatment was not one of them...there were multiple people pointing that out...sorry, seemed he got a lot of warnings and never changed (and I doubt he is really gone...).

I'll be honest - I don't think it needs moderation as much as it's called for.

I made a pretty cutting post about Republicans the other day (and have in the past) and have never been called a name or had a reaction of  :lmao:  from right wing guys. Even got a direct response from @Ramblin Wreck that was quite the opposite even though it probably was pretty cutting toward his politics.

:goodposting:

Trump people are not playing on any slanted field.  There are very few of them actually trying to have an substantive discussion on this board.  You do try from time to time.

The one you mention you claim got such poor treatment was not one of them...there were multiple people pointing that out...sorry, seemed he got a lot of warnings and never changed (and I doubt he is really gone...).
It's crap like this that's going to turn it from a forum into a collective.  Instead of hunting people down that have dissenting opinions you won't have to do anything but just sit there and continuously click the like button.

It's crap like this that's going to turn it from a forum into a collective.  Instead of hunting people down that have dissenting opinions you won't have to do anything but just sit there and continuously click the like button.
Be honest...what dissenting opinion did this person have or post?  A large majority of his posts were about other people and not about the topic or any dissenting opinion.

There is a reason multiple people were calling him out and rightfully so.  And they aren’t calling out you or stealthy or others who offer dissenting opinions.

I may not agree with you...but you offer an opinion and discuss things without getting like that (most of the time...as most of us won’t talk issues 100% of the time).

You didn't know this? Its been used here as a disparaging term for years, and not even just from the usual suspects but from more "centerish" people as well.

Ive never understood it either. I consider myself a bit of a SJW...well, without the actual " warrioring" part. Not the least bit ashamed of it.
Well, the people using it as disparagement are probably posters whose posts I don't see. Anybody I see using it probably uses it a little like we soccer dorks call ourselves soccer dorks; we're not really embarrassed by the term, if you get my drift.

Be honest...what dissenting opinion did this person have or post?  A large majority of his posts were about other people and not about the topic or any dissenting opinion.

There is a reason multiple people were calling him out and rightfully so.  And they aren’t calling out you or stealthy or others who offer dissenting opinions.

I may not agree with you...but you offer an opinion and discuss things without getting like that (most of the time...as most of us won’t talk issues 100% of the time).
I could find numerous examples that show otherwise.  As Tim pointed out there is a beehive mentality and the Trump thread is perfect example. 

Because they are all part of the groupthink squad that attacks those that don’t go along with constant POTUS bashing.

If people really can’t handle the rolling smiley there’s an easy answer, remove it. Not sure how that is really an issue but if we are at the point where Beaver is constantly reported and can be banned for using a smiley let’s just get rid of it so no one can use it. 

Every day you whine about BC, me and a few others but do the same thing yourself that you whine about.  

I'd like to see way less of all of those. 

Sadly, it may be the only answer is to just eliminate emojis. I thought we were better than that. 
So bird avatars are forbidden & emojis eliminated. Splendid. I thought we were better too. 

While I have your attention.....It takes 2 to tango. Now I’m an adult, allegedly, and said I would totally ignore another party and asked the same but yet someone is still trying to stir the pot. This is insane. Suggestions? 

So bird avatars are forbidden & emojis eliminated. Splendid. I thought we were better too. 

While I have your attention.....It takes 2 to tango. Now I’m an adult, allegedly, and said I would totally ignore another party and asked the same but yet someone is still trying to stir the pot. This is insane. Suggestions? 
It doesn't appear you are totally ignoring that poster.

Before we go off banning emojis and the like, can't we have some recognition that the concern many of us have in regard to certain posts is that they simply serve no positive aim? And, often, it feels as if some posts are done in a manner to actually just stir the pot in a negative fashion. If a post is done to at best add nothing, and in all likelihood create negative energy while adding not, maybe that is the issue and not the specific tactic employed (smilie, just a terse snide response, a quick personal attack)

Let's be clear... no emoji has "offended" anyone here. Not that I know, and certainly not me. It's just a response that, by design, adds nothing positive and in fact amps up the negative of the discourse. What purpose is that on a message board? And if you "got rid of" emoji's, those looking to add flippant, non-substantive (or worse yet, purposefully antagonistic and abrasive) posts will simply find another means to do so.

Can't we have some underlying principle of "does this post further the conversation" as some guide? Personally even if someone's post may be inflammatory, or even if it offends some, I am far more ok with being offended by someone posting earnestly, and trying to advance a point even if I disagree with the point, than I am with someone responding in a way to stop, impeded or derail the conversation.

So please, let's stop with "people can't handle the emojis" - that's an abjectly ridiculous point.  Some of us people do take issue with the fact that some responses, including just a smilie face and nothing else, are obviously not used to further discussion and in fact, perhaps the goal is the opposite, and that seems to run counter to what makes a good community/message board.

I'll hang up and listen.

Because they are all part of the groupthink squad that attacks those that don’t go along with constant POTUS bashing.

If people really can’t handle the rolling smiley there’s an easy answer, remove it. Not sure how that is really an issue but if we are at the point where Beaver is constantly reported and can be banned for using a smiley let’s just get rid of it so no one can use it. 
I called out Beaver and squisition for taking a dump in threads arguing.  It’s annoying and serves no purpose.  It’s possible I use :lmao:  more than anybody here but like that crazy dude in Mary Poppins, I love to laugh.

I'd like to see way less of all of those. 

Sadly, it may be the only answer is to just eliminate emojis. I thought we were better than that. 
The emoji use isn’t the problem - it’s that certain people have to bicker like children and for some reason enjoy it - if they didn’t they would have the people they argue with on ignore already.  

Honestly, the smiley itself is meaningless, and certainly doesn't offend.  It's just a tactic used to avoid legitimate response or discussion. Moreso, as I mentioned above, if we get ride of the rolling smilie, some other tactic will be employed. It's the message board equivalent of "neener-neener" - and I wish I were joking.  But seriously, that's the purpose it serves, it's a poke in the eye, a flippant response, not intended for any positive benefit to the overall discourse. Isn't that in the end, what "trolling" is supposed to be? Purposefully adding nothing positive and in fact looking only to provoke? That is the only purpose of such responses when used over and over in the same manner. 

If someone doesn't have a legitimate response to someone's post that helps advance the conversation, don't respond.  Is that so much to ask? If someone does want to respond, just bring something constructive - whatever viewpoint - to the table.

I called out Beaver and squisition for taking a dump in threads arguing.  It’s annoying and serves no purpose.  It’s possible I use :lmao:  more than anybody here but like that crazy dude in Mary Poppins, I love to laugh.
I agree, I think everyone should be able to use them and people get over it. Unfortunately the trend seems to be one side banned and as you can see above some still using to taunt with no consequences. 

Before we go off banning emojis and the like, can't we have some recognition that the concern many of us have in regard to certain posts is that they simply serve no positive aim? And, often, it feels as if some posts are done in a manner to actually just stir the pot in a negative fashion. If a post is done to at best add nothing, and in all likelihood create negative energy while adding not, maybe that is the issue and not the specific tactic employed (smilie, just a terse snide response, a quick personal attack)

Let's be clear... no emoji has "offended" anyone here. Not that I know, and certainly not me. It's just a response that, by design, adds nothing positive and in fact amps up the negative of the discourse. What purpose is that on a message board? And if you "got rid of" emoji's, those looking to add flippant, non-substantive (or worse yet, purposefully antagonistic and abrasive) posts will simply find another means to do so.

Can't we have some underlying principle of "does this post further the conversation" as some guide? Personally even if someone's post may be inflammatory, or even if it offends some, I am far more ok with being offended by someone posting earnestly, and trying to advance a point even if I disagree with the point, than I am with someone responding in a way to stop, impeded or derail the conversation.

So please, let's stop with "people can't handle the emojis" - that's an abjectly ridiculous point.  Some of us people do take issue with the fact that some responses, including just a smilie face and nothing else, are obviously not used to further discussion and in fact, perhaps the goal is the opposite, and that seems to run counter to what makes a good community/message board.

I'll hang up and listen.
Your problem is you want to be judge and jury and others intent with the emoji.  You’ve certainly accused me incorrectly of trolling with it.  And you’re the guy that used to call anyone that wouldn’t argue with you a coward.   The real problem is everyone wants to police others behavior instead of worrying about their damn self. 

Can't we have some underlying principle of "does this post further the conversation" as some guide? Personally even if someone's post may be inflammatory, or even if it offends some, I am far more ok with being offended by someone posting earnestly, and trying to advance a point even if I disagree with the point, than I am with someone responding in a way to stop, impeded or derail the conversation
Very well thought out post but I just want to say this isn’t the Algonquin Round Table, it’s the earlier version, The Vicious Circle. 

Very well thought out post but I just want to say this isn’t the Algonquin Round Table, it’s the earlier version, The Vicious Circle. 
Vicious discourse - earnest, advancing the conversation discourse - I can deal with. Then again, I'm in real estate development, so that's called Town Hall on a Tuesday evening. 

PS - The Algonquin Room and the Hotel in NY are pretty freakin' spectacular.

I don't believe that I have argued with Beaver in any thread in probably about a year, which a check of my posting history should verify. It seemed like he responded to just about thing I posted ridiculing me in some manner or another, but I have not directly responded to him in ages. It may have seemed like arguing to you, but it was not back-and-forth, it was just a one sided attack on my posts.

I don't believe that I have argued with Beaver in any thread in probably about a year, which a check of my posting history should verify. It seemed like he responded to just about thing I posted ridiculing me in some manner or another, but I have not directly responded to him in ages. It may have seemed like arguing to you, but it was not back-and-forth, it was just a one sided attack on my posts.
So you were innocent with your BieberClieber comments?

Yet you talk about him often.  So by admitting you don’t reply to him then you’re clearly trolling him.  

LOL at this nonsense too.  You nicknamed him Bieber cleaber.  You cry about other nicknames on this forum.  You accuse people of being aliases too.  Yet it’s only BC or HT you accuse never anyone else.  Spare us your victim bull crap. 

So you were innocent with your BieberClieber comments?
I think that it has been a long time since I last used that sobriquet. I believe I stopped using that after Joe issued his manifesto about the same time Wreck dropped his pigeon avatar as a show of good faith.

Users who are viewing this thread