Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slapdash

***Official PSF Moderation Thread***

6 minutes ago, FBG Moderator said:

We need people to report posts. @timschochet you hurt the board constantly chiding people for reporting. 

Sorry that you think I hurt the board. If reporting was truly used as you desire it to be used, that would be fine. But I think it’s used by a lot of people as a weapon, and an ugly one at that, in order to punish people that annoy them. It should be used to report truly offensive stuff, that’s fine. But light insults, funny ones, or even light trolling that isn’t truly offensive- I say leave it alone. And I also think you should punish people who waste your time reporting stuff that isn’t truly offensive by suspending THEM for a few days.  That will reduce the number of people who abuse the report function. 

Just my two cents. At your request I won’t comment anymore about reporting. I am ever grateful to be able to post here. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Whoa... I think that was my post, and not that I care, but seriously???  It was at around 3am when the board is dead.  A little tongue in cheek to maybe stimulate conversation at an off hour.

I've never reported a single post in 12 years.  I just don't believe in it.  I'm a bit surprised that is the level that gets reported though.  Glad to see a moderator can put it in context. 

I think context matters.  I can see it reported for people that just come in to rile others up/troll them.  That clearly isn't you though, IMO.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Sorry that you think I hurt the board. If reporting was truly used as you desire it to be used, that would be fine. But I think it’s used by a lot of people as a weapon, and an ugly one at that, in order to punish people that annoy them. It should be used to report truly offensive stuff, that’s fine. But light insults, funny ones, or even light trolling that isn’t truly offensive- I say leave it alone. And I also think you should punish people who waste your time reporting stuff that isn’t truly offensive by suspending THEM for a few days.  That will reduce the number of people who abuse the report function. 

Just my two cents. At your request I won’t comment anymore about reporting. I am ever grateful to be able to post here. 

How do you feel about aliases?

16 minutes ago, timschochet said:

It should be used to report truly offensive stuff, that’s fine. But light insults, funny ones, or even light trolling that isn’t truly offensive- I say leave it alone. And I also think you should punish people who waste your time reporting stuff that isn’t truly offensive by suspending THEM for a few days.  That will reduce the number of people who abuse the report function. 

That's exactly how we want it to be used. 

And it's why they told groovus to not report something minor like "You guys have him this time!". 

56 minutes ago, KCitons said:

How do you feel about aliases?

I don’t care. But you’re not supposed to use them to avoid suspension. 

15 hours ago, FBG Moderator said:

One example of the posts you reported today;

Sure, this is chest thumping from someone who likely feels this is another false "this is the end" scenario.

And it may very well be the end. I don't know. But having the opinion this will be another thing that doesn't take Trump down is not worthy of a suspension. Is it uncool to one side? Sure. If we didn't allow every post that was uncool to one side, we wouldn't have a board. 

We need people to report posts. @timschochet you hurt the board constantly chiding people for reporting. But the other side of it is people have to have thick enough skin to not report every single minor slight. And "You guys have him this time!" is minor. 

I'd seen similar things noted as being worth reporting before - it doesn't add anything interesting to a conversation and was posted solely to rile other people up - the definition of trolling. It doesn't matter which "side" the trolling is targeted at, my understanding is that we were to report things like that to keep the discourse at a certain level. Mods in the past have asked us to "help out" by reporting things rather than derailing threads with criticisms of useless posts like that. Now I get this in response. #### it, I'll just stop reporting altogether.

Edited by Gr00vus
  • Like 2

The you got him now posts are a long running troll meme and in my opinion are exactly the type of obviously worthless posts that should be discouraged.

Edited by mrip541
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, mrip541 said:

The you got him now posts are a long running troll meme and in my opinion are exactly the type of obviously worthless posts that should be discouraged.

Better start banning "the usual suspects" then too. In fact lets get rid of sarcasm altogether. Who really needs that? I would say amirite, but that probably shouldnt be used anymore either since it is usually not used to promote sincere discussion.

• Like 1

Just now, parasaurolophus said:

Better start banning "the usual suspects" then too. In fact lets get rid of sarcasm altogether. Who really needs that? I would say amirite, but that probably shouldnt be used anymore either since it is usually not used to promote sincere discussion.

I don't see how its similar.

"The usual suspects" is to to describe the typical group of posters behaving a certain way.  Usually to describe people who are all in on Trump no matter what and say little to nothing negative about him and defend everything. I don't see the phrase as meant to get a reaction from people...do you?

The "you got him now" posts are mocking and nothing else.  And when done in a post and run manner, how are they not meant to be trolling for a reaction?

Sarcasm has its place for sure.  As it should when done well.

Just now, sho nuff said:

"The usual suspects" is to to describe the typical group of posters behaving a certain way.  Usually to describe people who are all in on Trump no matter what and say little to nothing negative about him and defend everything. I don't see the phrase as meant to get a reaction from people...do you?

The "you got him now" posts are mocking and nothing else.  And when done in a post and run manner, how are they not meant to be trolling for a reaction?

Do you have a link for that?

• Laughing 1

Do you have a link for that?

A link for what?

8 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

To back up your claim. 

To back up my opinion of how usual suspects is used?

Really?

15 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Wait.  You and others have a cute nickname to label certain posters but the gotcha posts are what is mocking in your world?  That’s hilarious.  

By the way if Joe started handing out bans for the gotcha posts I’m pretty sure 30-40 anti trump people would be gone within the hour. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mrip541 said:

I don't disagree. But the reality is we have to have a line somewhere. If all the meme posts like Bye Felicia or Tell Me More or Bof Sidez or the like meant suspension, we wouldn't have a board. We get it, those kinds of posts from both sides ;) aren't helpful. But on the scale of helpful to not helpful, they're not far enough to the negative edge that reasonable with people with reasonably thick skin can't handle.

It's a very gray area and trust us, zero fun to try and determine the line and play board cop. We depend on posters to let us know when they see something over the line but we also depend on them to somewhat know where the line is. Which is difficult. 

We'll drop out of this now as there's other work we have to do. 

Bottom line please just try to be cooler to each other and have legit / honest / constructive / helpful discussions. Thanks.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

"I'll hang up and listen."

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

"Gary Johnson voters."

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FBG Moderator said:

I don't disagree. But the reality is we have to have a line somewhere. If all the meme posts like Bye Felicia or Tell Me More or Bof Sidez or the like meant suspension, we wouldn't have a board. We get it, those kinds of posts from both sides ;) aren't helpful. But on the scale of helpful to not helpful, they're not far enough to the negative edge that reasonable with people with reasonably thick skin can't handle.

It's a very gray area and trust us, zero fun to try and determine the line and play board cop. We depend on posters to let us know when they see something over the line but we also depend on them to somewhat know where the line is. Which is difficult. 

We'll drop out of this now as there's other work we have to do. 

Bottom line please just try to be cooler to each other and have legit / honest / constructive / helpful discussions. Thanks.

When it comes to politics, this hasnt happened on this board in what, 15 years? It's not happening. And it's not because this board is toxic, just go look at any news story on facebook these days. It's filled with rats, people who care about winning an argument more than their country. We complain about millennials being raised inappropriately, given participation trophies, not knowing how to be stone cold and unemotional. But to be honest, the generation we have here is no different. Same people, different technology and year, that's it.   

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

To back up my opinion of how usual suspects is used?

Really?

Yes, really. It seemed like a far out there argument just to defend your side to me so i figured i would give you an opportunity to back it up. 

I figured since half your posts are asking people for links, that you would be ready to quickly link up your statements. Surely you would never say anything that cant be backed up with credible links at the ready would you? 

Oh and btw since i was using hyperbole about it being half your posts dont ask me to provide a link to it being half your posts. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Laughing 1

Yes, really. It seemed like a far out there argument just to defend your side to me so i figured i would give you an opportunity to back it up. 

I figured since half your posts are asking people for links, that you would be ready to quickly link up your statements. Surely you would never say anything that cant be backed up with credible links at the ready would you? 

Oh and btw since i was using hyperbole about it being half your posts dont ask me to provide a link to it being half your posts. 

Thanks in advance. 

Its an opinion...hence it started with me saying “I don't see how”.

I ask people for links when they post something as fact (usually).  That seems to be then disconnect here...and how it's often used “against me”.  Its quite laughable.

When im not kn my phone i can better search for the term...as anyone can, to see how its used to describe a certain group of posters.  Not sure the controversy here.

15 hours ago, Max Power said:

Whoa... I think that was my post,

It wasn't your post.

15 hours ago, timschochet said:

No offense @Gr00vusbecause you seem like a great guy and I almost always enjoy your posts but...why? 

I understand that the Mods want us to report offensive posts and it makes their jobs easier. But despite that I just don’t see the point of reporting other people. What’s to gain? 

The bolded is the only reason I did - they asked us to. I won't be doing that anymore.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

The bolded is the only reason I did - they asked us to. I won't be doing that anymore.

What did you find offensive in this quote you reported?

"You guys have him this time!"

5 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

What did you find offensive in this quote you reported?

"You guys have him this time!"

I already explained this two posts ago - it doesn't contribute positively to the conversation, it's solely an attempt to rile people up, which is the definition of trolling*. My understanding was that we aren't supposed to be trolling each other in here, and that such behavior was report worthy.

* Wikipedia definition of trolling summary:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

That is an accurate description of the post I reported. Now that I know the mods aren't really interested in controlling such behavior, I'll act accordingly.

Edited by Gr00vus

1 minute ago, Gr00vus said:

I already explained this two posts ago - it doesn't contribute positively to the conversation, it's solely an attempt to rile people up, which is the definition of trolling. My understanding is that we aren't supposed to be trolling each other in here, and that such behavior was report worthy.

Wow

Report away on my reply

• Like 1

I have never reported anyone here.  Also, as a child I never tattled to my parents or teachers hoping to get others in trouble or hoping those authority figures would intercede on my behalf, recognizing how wronged and long suffering I had been.  Lessons learned at Leland Elementary in the '60's are still applicable today.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 2

The irony of this entire exchange is that it destroys the whole "Mods are libs" conspiracy theory.

1 minute ago, [scooter] said:

The irony of this entire exchange is that it destroys the whole "Mods are libs" conspiracy theory.

No, not really.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

Wow

Report away on my reply

Given the definition of troll/trolling the post I reported fit. This post of yours probably meets the definition as well, but I'm not doing the reporting thing anymore so - :shrug:.

You know what's sad, and somewhat illustrative of the multiple failures all around in this episode - I took you off ignore (I've found your posts to be mostly inane to the point they're a waste of time/space, so it's a boon to me not to have to scroll past them all the time) to read these last two posts of yours just to see if you'd changed any and improved the quality of your posts. Guess not. Have a nice season.

Edited by Gr00vus
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

I already explained this two posts ago - it doesn't contribute positively to the conversation, it's solely an attempt to rile people up, which is the definition of trolling*. My understanding was that we aren't supposed to be trolling each other in here, and that such behavior was report worthy.

That is an accurate description of the post I reported. Now that I know the mods aren't really interested in controlling such behavior, I'll act accordingly.

Do you think these posts add to the conversation?

13 minutes ago, Dickies said:

Noonan: He asked them to put Romney down for a nap, how was Trump supposed to know they’d kill him?

12 minutes ago, yak651 said:

By his posting style I'm begining to think DN is an alias for the Donald to post here

2 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

I'll bet you $100 that Joe is the one that decided to let this sarcastic phrase go because he's tired of the report bat phone going off and if you were to look back Clayton and Aaron have suspended people for saying that and much less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Not at all, dear scooter, not at all

• Thanks 1

You know what's sad, and somewhat illustrative of the multiple failures all around in this episode - I took you off ignore (I've found your posts to be mostly inane to the point they're a waste of time/space, so it's a boon to me not to have to scroll past them all the time) to read these last two posts of yours just to see if you'd changed any and improved the quality of your posts. Guess not. Have a nice season.

This isn't being excellent. Inane? Put me on ignore. Don't ever want to offend you as it doesn't take much. :thumbup: Have a nice season as well.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:
14 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

I already explained this two posts ago - it doesn't contribute positively to the conversation

This isn’t Mensaguys

• Laughing 2

Just now, HellToupee said:

This isn’t Mensaguys

Indeed. Lesson learned, approach to posting calibrated.

Edited by Gr00vus

4 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Given the definition of troll/trolling the post I reported fit. This post of yours probably meets the definition as well, but I'm not doing the reporting thing anymore so - :shrug:.

wow, you must have reported until your fingers bled

• Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

I took you off ignore (I've found your posts to be mostly inane to the point they're a waste of time/space, so it's a boon to me not to have to scroll past them all the time) to read these last two posts of yours just to see if you'd changed any and improved the quality of your posts. Guess not. Have a nice season.

You ought to report yourself for this pompous and insulting post

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Man, well over half the posts here don't contribute positively to the conversation.  That's the tone of the forum that Joe has created though and someone above pointed out it's not going to change.  People don't talk politics (here or other places) to get an understanding of the other side.  They do it to lash out, vent, shame the other side, and generally just to argue.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squistion said:

Yeah, tell me about it.

What did you get pooped for?   A whole month?

11 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

No, it doesn't.  As many have said there are two lib mods that aren't fair in their handlings of posters.  I think Joe is mostly fair or he really tries to be anyway.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Man, well over half the posts here don't contribute positively to the conversation.  That's the tone of the forum that Joe has created though and someone above pointed out it's not going to change.  People don't talk politics (here or other places) to get an understanding of the other side.  They do it to lash out, vent, shame the other side, and generally just to argue.   

Sadly, I think you're mostly right. I hang on because there are good posts and posters still grinding out enough quality discussion to keep it informative and worthwhile - using the ignore function really helps in this regard.

18 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Just curious, you said you report up to 10 posts a week. Does that mean you are reporting posts from both sides of the argument? 

4 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

You ought to report yourself for this pompous and insulting post

Just speaking the truth friend.

8 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

In my limited time in the PSF it seems basically to be trolling each other. I thought that was part of this forums schtick. If people were rep[orting all trolling it would overwhelm all systems.

• Like 1

Just now, Gr00vus said:

Sadly, I think you're mostly right. I hang on because there are good posts and posters still grinding out enough quality discussion to keep it informative and worthwhile - using the ignore function really helps in this regard.

No thank you necessary.

• Laughing 1

Just now, KCitons said:

Just curious, you said you report up to 10 posts a week. Does that mean you are reporting posts from both sides of the argument? 

Yeah. For example I've reported Tanner/McJose/whatever at least a couple of times when he's gotten too nasty to people - I think once in response to one of your posts in fact.

Just now, Gr00vus said:

Just speaking the truth friend.

So you have a double standard? Ok for you but you are offended at "You guys have him this time!"

1 minute ago, KCitons said:

No thank you necessary.

Though you get repetitive sometimes, I find your posts mostly thought provoking.

Yeah. For example I've reported Tanner/McJose/whatever at least a couple of times when he's gotten too nasty to people - I think once in response to one of your posts in fact.

Just now, Gr00vus said:

Though you get repetitive sometimes, I find your posts mostly thought provoking.

Then I guess thank you is necessary.

Thanks.