Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slapdash

***Official PSF Moderation Thread***

38 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

:tinfoilhat:

I don't believe that to be true, but all I've got is an anecdote: Despite the fact that my posts probably contained the most linked sources out of everyone here, I had a mod give me a time out with the line saying something like "I get that condescending bully shtick is your thing..." when I was replying with a short quip to a known troll that never contributed anything meaningful to a conversation. Can I be condescending to a worthless poster? Yep. Guilty. If someone posts unsubstantiated garbage and propaganda-like one-liners while never actually engaging in a meaningful way, I'll occasionally respond in kind which I'll admit is a mistake. But I've started a few well sourced topics, brought a lot of sourced information into serious topics, and frequently engage in thoughtful discussions, so it was utter BS for a mod to say "bully shtick" is my thing. If the mod had stuck to giving me a time out for being condescending, I'd have been fine with it. But that mod crossed a line with that accusation. 

I tell this story to combat your narrative that the mods have been manipulated into a bias against people who continue to support trump. I'm not saying a bias swings the other way, but the unwarranted attacking shot in the explanation indicates there is certainly no bias favoring anti-trumpers. Hell, I think the mod even said "if you don't agree that's what you were doing, find another board." Wtf? I absolutely agree I was being condescending, but I also absolutely disagree that my posts here are bullying or that my posting could be classified as "shtick." I didn't take the time to link my sources just for fun. I've stopped doing it as much, because it's clear people don't even bother to click on them, but back when I got the warning, I was very deliberate about sourcing all my data.

As for warnings/time outs, if anything, it sounds like trump supporters are the most thin skinned and trigger happy when it comes to reporting. Perhaps, there's a bit of chicken little going on here, but I honestly don't think so. Moderation will never be perfect. There will be missed time outs at times and heavy handed time outs at other times. You probably just notice it more when one of the minority goes missing than one of the majority. 

Not according to Jim.  But I do think they are now trying to reverse what happened and make it a more welcoming place to opposing ideas.  So my points were more about history than current state.  

5 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

Who is Jim?

Oppps...I meant Joe Bryant....total brain fart on my part. 

1 hour ago, jon_mx said:

The forum is filled with quite old white males, but yet there is a very strong anti-Trump and anti-conservative bias in the political subforum.  The same bias is not present in the FFA.  It is a combination of the bias of the moderators and the gang mentality of the more liberal-leaning posters who have succesfully manipulated the moderators. 

Wait...what?  Manipulated the moderators?

59 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

It is. There's a lot of data on the demographics including my link below (which doesn't even include independents like myself) and this link. Older people were more likely to vote for trump and uneducated people were more likely to vote for trump. It's well known that rural people were more likely to vote for trump and I've got no data on this, but rural people don't strike me as fantasy football message board types. My broader point was that you shouldn't expect the population on any internet forum to mimic trump's approval rating.

There are more links like this available.

A. Uneducated people were more likely to vote for Trump. 

B. Trump voters are mostly uneducated. 

Do you see any difference between these two statements? 

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

This feels like a failed attempt at virtue signaling. I never said what is said in option "B."

27 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:
29 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Not according to Jim.  

Who is Jim?

this guy

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

1 minute ago, FF Ninja said:

This feels like a failed attempt at virtue signaling. I never said what is said in option "B."

You’re right, my mistake. You wrote “a large contingent”. I still think it comes off as insulting. There’s a whole lot of very educated Trump voters out there (ones that I am hoping the Democrats can reach BTW.) No need to insult them. 

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

You’re right, my mistake. You wrote “a large contingent”. I still think it comes off as insulting. There’s a whole lot of very educated Trump voters out there (ones that I am hoping the Democrats can reach BTW.) No need to insult them. 

Their voting is to blame for our nation's current debacle, so I'm guilty of insulting when speaking freely not in this forum, but I meant no insult there. I genuinely think those factors lead to trump supporters being under-represented in online forums. Do you have another theory? I really don't buy the theory that this particular forum is disproportionate due to moderation.

And you really don't have to worry about turning very many of the educated trump voters. He won on the thinnest of margins in a few swing states. You just need to convince us independents not to vote third party again (I won't) and get some youth to vote (2018 indicates they will be out in force). At this point I'm more worried about trump getting impeached and the Republicans running a halfway decent candidate because I know two trump voters who swear they'll never vote for him again, but I've got a feeling (hell, I'm pretty certain) they'll absolutely vote for any non-trump Republican over someone like Warren. And as someone who leaned R when I voted, I"m absolutely sickened by how they've fallen in line with trump and how they've voted. They've got at least a two decade voting "time out" from me. That side needs a complete purge and overhaul. I'll be treating the Democratic primaries as my real vote for the foreseeable future.

4 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

Their voting is to blame for our nation's current debacle, so I'm guilty of insulting when speaking freely not in this forum, but I meant no insult there. I genuinely think those factors lead to trump supporters being under-represented in online forums. Do you have another theory? I really don't buy the theory that this particular forum is disproportionate due to moderation.

And you really don't have to worry about turning very many of the educated trump voters. He won on the thinnest of margins in a few swing states. You just need to convince us independents not to vote third party again (I won't) and get some youth to vote (2018 indicates they will be out in force). At this point I'm more worried about trump getting impeached and the Republicans running a halfway decent candidate because I know two trump voters who swear they'll never vote for him again, but I've got a feeling (hell, I'm pretty certain) they'll absolutely vote for any non-trump Republican over someone like Warren. And as someone who leaned R when I voted, I"m absolutely sickened by how they've fallen in line with trump and how they've voted. They've got at least a two decade voting "time out" from me. That side needs a complete purge and overhaul. I'll be treating the Democratic primaries as my real vote for the foreseeable future.

It is one of the reasons though.  There are a decent amount of people that use to post here that either got banned or just left.  They all post on the FFT Geek board and it's the complete opposite of this place.  Almost no moderation, tons of homophobic and racist comments, lots of personal insults and very strongly conservative.  While being free to say more of what you want can be nice, it can get pretty bad.  I do find it entertaining how incredibly "extreme" some of them can be though.

47 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Uneducated?  Not sure what that means and it comes of offensive. We talking no schooling, HS, post grad?  I did not get my college diploma until I was 28. So from 21-28 I was considered uneducated?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:
55 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Uneducated?  Not sure what that means and it comes of offensive. We talking no schooling, HS, post grad?  I did not get my college diploma until I was 28. So from 21-28 I was considered uneducated?

Did you vote for Trump?

2 hours ago, FF Ninja said:

I had a mod give me a time out with the line saying something like "I get that condescending bully shtick is your thing..." when I was replying with a short quip to a known troll that never contributed anything meaningful to a conversation.

I don't see that comment in any of your warnings, but if it's there, it sounds very much like a rockaction situation.

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, toshiba said:

Did you vote for Trump?

No.  Neither did any of my large extended family none who are I guess are not "educated"

Edited by Summer Wheat

1 hour ago, Summer Wheat said:
1 hour ago, toshiba said:

Did you vote for Trump?

No.  Neither did any of my large extended family none who are I guess are not "educated"

He probably means, non-college education, as that is the usually polled category.

1 hour ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

I don't see that comment in any of your warnings, but if it's there, it sounds very much like a rockaction situation.

Warning issued by FBG Moderator

July 20

Note for member

I did my best. 

I sincerely believe that. But at the same time, you contributed nothing useful. 

We get it the condescending bully shtick is your thing. But be way more cool if you want to post on the boards. If you don't agree that's what you were doing, find another board. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

My comment was snarky, but it wasn't wrong. The mod's comment was 67% wrong (condescending, yes, bullying, no, shtick, no) and accusatory. 

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Okay, looks like not a rockaction situation. Carry on...

Edit: Nevermind. I just read through to page 2 of that thread. It wasn't immediately clear that Rockaction misinterpreted his own quote as the warning.

Edited by FF Ninja

5 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

No, this guy.

(to be fair - by link was to a show called "According to Jim" - which tied into the original post...)

2 minutes ago, Chicago Hooligan said:

What a shame that the braying reactionaries no longer find this board to be a safe space for them.

I have only ever seen this word in brown bear Brown bear what do you see to describe noise of a zebra. I kind of figured it was just a made up word for that book. Who knew...

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:
2 hours ago, FF Ninja said:

It is one of the reasons though.  There are a decent amount of people that use to post here that either got banned or just left.  They all post on the FFT Geek board and it's the complete opposite of this place.  Almost no moderation, tons of homophobic and racist comments, lots of personal insults and very strongly conservative.  While being free to say more of what you want can be nice, it can get pretty bad.  I do find it entertaining how incredibly "extreme" some of them can be though.

This would lead to an imbalance of who's being a jackass and who isn't....not "conservative" vs "liberal" as what some of the "conservatives" assert around here.

4 hours ago, FF Ninja said:

Warning issued by FBG Moderator

July 20

Note for member

We get it the condescending bully shtick is your thing. But be way more cool if you want to post on the boards. If you don't agree that's what you were doing, find another board. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

My comment was snarky, but it wasn't wrong. The mod's comment was 67% wrong (condescending, yes, bullying, no, shtick, no) and accusatory. 

Mods comment was 1000% correct. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FF Ninja said:

:tinfoilhat:

As for warnings/time outs, if anything, it sounds like trump supporters are the most thin skinned and trigger happy when it comes to reporting.

I've posted a few unfortunate truths that got me timeouts.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was given over a 2-month timeout for giving Obama advice which he actually followed 30-minutes later.   No profanity or personal attack.   

Edited by jon_mx

7 hours ago, The Commish said:

This would lead to an imbalance of who's being a jackass and who isn't....not "conservative" vs "liberal" as what some of the "conservatives" assert around here.

The level of jackassedness would be similar here if allowed.  

I'm not sure what posters gain by willingly crossing a line they know will get them banned. I get that there may be times when it's not completely clear why someone got a timeout. But, all too often, I see posts by people that they know will get them banned. To me, it's premeditated. 

Judging by some of the polls, this board skews well over middle age. Too many people acting like children. If someone on a random message board can upset you that much, then you should probably find a different outlet. 

21 minutes ago, KCitons said:

I'm not sure what posters gain by willingly crossing a line they know will get them banned. I get that there may be times when it's not completely clear why someone got a timeout. But, all too often, I see posts by people that they know will get them banned. To me, it's premeditated. 

Judging by some of the polls, this board skews well over middle age. Too many people acting like children. If someone on a random message board can upset you that much, then you should probably find a different outlet. 

I can tell you in my case why.  I would get trolled and personally attacked for pages by 6 to 8 posters at a time.  At the lowest point in  moderation here left-leaning posters could get away with innuendos about posters being a pedophile and flat out call other posters a racist and mods would ignore because it would only be one report.  But for a conservative to get the mods attention you would have to make a rude post because that would get immediate attention because of a half-dozen plus abuse reports would be generated.   In the best case the mod might come in a say for both sides to stop it.  

2 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

I can tell you in my case why.  I would get trolled and personally attacked for pages by 6 to 8 posters at a time.  At the lowest point in  moderation here left-leaning posters could get away with innuendos about posters being a pedophile and flat out call other posters a racist and mods would ignore because it would only be one report.  But for a conservative to get the mods attention you would have to make a rude post because that would get immediate attention because of a half-dozen plus abuse reports would be generated.   In the best case the mod might come in a say for both sides to stop it.  

Are you a pedophile? Are you a racist? We are taught as children "sticks and stones".  Report the posts and move on. No need to even the score. It only gives the other person more power. 

If the mods or the board leans left, then you know going into every conversation understanding the rules. Even if you think they are unfair. Work within those rules to get make your point. Unless the topic of the thread is attacking you personally, then it shouldn't be taken personally. 

My point was simply that people know what they post is ban worthy. But, they choose to post it anyway. Don't complain about it. And don't complain about how others weren't given a timeout. Own your own actions and move on. It amazes me that people have been banned multiple times. Talk about not learning from your mistakes. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KCitons said:

Are you a pedophile? Are you a racist? We are taught as children "sticks and stones".  Report the posts and move on. No need to even the score. It only gives the other person more power. 

If the mods or the board leans left, then you know going into every conversation understanding the rules. Even if you think they are unfair. Work within those rules to get make your point. Unless the topic of the thread is attacking you personally, then it shouldn't be taken personally. 

My point was simply that people know what they post is ban worthy. But, they choose to post it anyway. Don't complain about it. And don't complain about how others weren't given a timeout. Own your own actions and move on. It amazes me that people have been banned multiple times. Talk about not learning from your mistakes. 

When someone calls you a racist or a pedophile and the mods do nothing, it rightly pisses you off.  This is compounded by the fact the you were just chastised or banned for far far less.  When the stated policies say one thing, but the implementation is done in a bias manner, the unjustness of it becomes a real sore point.  That said, over the past year the moderation has become far more balanced and fair.  And I believe my harping on it at least played a minor role in some of the shift.  

Just now, jon_mx said:

When someone calls you a racist or a pedophile and the mods do nothing, it rightly pisses you off.  This is compounded by the fact the you were just chastised or banned for far far less.  When the stated policies say one thing, but the implementation is done in a bias manner, the unjustness of it becomes a real sore point.  That said, over the past year the moderation has become far more balanced and fair.  And I believe my harping on it at least played a minor role in some of the shift.  

I may not be the most educated, or the most worldly, but I do know that life isn't fair. The sooner one comes to accept that and move past it, the sooner things won't bother them. 

Have a good night Jon. 

• Like 1

Just now, KCitons said:

I may not be the most educated, or the most worldly, but I do know that life isn't fair. The sooner one comes to accept that and move past it, the sooner things won't bother them. 

Have a good night Jon. 

Absolutely.  But when the unfairness is artificially created by men, it should be pointed out and rectified.  The principle of treating people fairly and equally and with respect is one which we should all strive for.  Good night.  

37 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

I never used to report anyone as I really didn't care what people said.  However, after getting banned a few times for pretty harmless stuff I started reporting people who did stuff at the same level I did or worse.  It was more a fairness issue for me.  It has to go both ways.

• Laughing 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Absolutely.  But when the unfairness is artificially created by men, it should be pointed out and rectified.  The principle of treating people fairly and equally and with respect is one which we should all strive for.  Good night.  

When both sides complain about unfair moderation I’d say that’s a pretty good sign that the moderation is fair.  I suspect more anti-Trumpers get TOs than you’re giving credit for

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see this thread got some action today. I only posted the 🙂 thing as a tongue in cheek. Political correctness is getting out of control and I'm happy to see FBG not cave to something so outrageous. 

• Laughing 1

5 hours ago, Max Power said:

I see this thread got some action today. I only posted the 🙂 thing as a tongue in cheek. Political correctness is getting out of control and I'm happy to see FBG not cave to something so outrageous. 

Wait... 🙂

Just now, Max Power said:

Wait... 🙂

Nevermind. They caved. 

• Laughing 2

8 hours ago, jon_mx said:

The level of jackassedness would be similar here if allowed.  

Right (I actually think it'd probably go up a bit if allowed here.)....those types of people would be allowed to behave that way.  Glad it's not tolerated here.  That's a good thing as far as I can see :shrug: 

7 hours ago, Dickies said:

When both sides complain about unfair moderation I’d say that’s a pretty good sign that the moderation is fair.  I suspect more anti-Trumpers get TOs than you’re giving credit for

There are periods of time during crackdowns where both sides are given timeouts for ridiculously lame reasons and the both sides arguement has some merits.  But the results of what this forum has become strongly suggests something else usually goes on.  

I browse this thread from time to time and it’s always the same gripe. Perhaps there she be some kind of Mod for a day program which may provide perspective for some of our alleged wayward FBGs. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Osaurus said:

I browse this thread from time to time and it’s always the same gripe. Perhaps there she be some kind of Mod for a day program which may provide perspective for some of our alleged wayward FBGs. Thoughts?

Here is one scenerio that played out, let's guess what the result was.

A liberal poster posted a completely unprovolked pofanity ridden personal attack against me.  Instead of responding and making a show, I ignored it and immediately reported it.  What do you believe the moderator's action was:

A.  Delete the post and permaban the poster.

B.  Give the poster a timeout and delete the post. 

C.  Give a warning to the poster and delete the post

D.  Let the post stand for abouy two hours.  Use mod powers to edit the post without showing the post was even edited and keeping most of the personal attacks in the post with only the profanity and over the top part of the attack removed thereby covering up it even happened and making me look like a liar for saying it did. 

2 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

A liberal poster posted a completely unprovolked pofanity ridden personal attack against me.  Instead of responding and making a show, I ignored it and immediately reported it.  What do you believe the moderator's action was:

D.  Let the post stand for abouy two hours.  Use mod powers to edit the post without showing the post was even edited and keeping most of the personal attacks in the post with only the profanity and over the top part of the attack removed thereby covering up it even happened and making me look like a liar for saying it did. 

:hey:D!

29 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Joe would likely be a "B".  There are two others that are usually always a "D"

Posted (edited)

Sorry.  Don't really understand what this is all about.   I have never reported a post, or a poster...I don't know why I would.  I "ignore" no one.  

As far as me being offended.  It's a flippin bulletin board.  You can call me every horrible name in the book, insult me, my family, my shoe size...I couldn't care even the littlest bit.   I guess I can see why people might be offended, especially on a left leaning message board where feelings are very very important(smarmy)...But i don't care.  Smack my a** and call me Judy for all I care--I can promise I will never use the report feature.  Or the ignore feature.   

Edited by supermike80

26 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Joe would likely be a "B".  There are two others that are usually always a "D"

That is pretty accurate.  It started off with D and then Joe looked into it and it turned into a B.