Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slapdash

***Official PSF Moderation Thread***

6 minutes ago, tonydead said:

I went to the search function to prove my point as I was wagering that "Tranny" has been used a lot more in this forum than "T-word" and a couple interesting things happened:

1 - The T-word is already taken apparently.  At one time or another there was a ban on using the slur Troll.  

2 - I found a bunch of references where liberals were using the slur, often as an attack against right wing media or Trump himself.  That's weird.  I didn't find any from the right, although Dalton went on for pages about someone calling Mrs. Obama a Tranny so maybe that post got deleted.  

Example

Horrible

I wonder why these guys weren't held to the same dogpile on standard that Rock faced the other day?

I would have called it out had I seen it.  These were buried in threads about other subjects.

Rock's thread involved transgender issues so it attracted more attention to the slur.

I think it's pretty simple.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonydead said:

You're welcome.  Apparently you guys love this word.  Haven't even made it past page 2 in the FFA yet.

What a strange task to undertake.  But whatever blows your hair back.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Just now, McJose said:

What a strange task to undertake.  But whatever blows your hair back.  :thumbup:

Search function only takes a couple seconds.  I love pointing out hypocrisy when I see it.  Especially to the preachers.

• Like 4

Just now, tonydead said:

Search function only takes a couple seconds.  I love pointing out hypocrisy when I see it.  Especially to the preachers.

I think it's fair game to be honest. However, I'd bet that the folks who used the term several years ago and read the now deleted thread and the subsequent apology from rockaction probably learned something from this whole thing.  I'd call that progress. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tonydead said:

I went to the search function to prove my point as I was wagering that "Tranny" has been used a lot more in this forum than "T-word" and a couple interesting things happened:

1 - The T-word is already taken apparently.  At one time or another there was a ban on using the slur Troll.  

2 - I found a bunch of references where liberals were using the slur, often as an attack against right wing media or Trump himself.  That's weird.  I didn't find any from the right, although Dalton went on for pages about someone calling Mrs. Obama a Tranny so maybe that post got deleted.  

Example

Horrible

I wonder why these guys weren't held to the same dogpile on standard that Rock faced the other day?

1. The first example you listed has not a single like nor a single quote that I can find. It's possible that thread was moving fast and no one saw it (I didn't) and it's possible it's a matter of tribalism for the people who did see it.  If I had, I would have said the same kind of thing I did to rock.

2. The second example you listed has two likes and not a single quote I can find.  Same scenario.

Honestly, I don't think most people call this sort of thing out.  I do.  My one report on this board is when I reported someone I generally enjoy speaking with for using the word f** or f*****.  I said that to him at the time, that it was my one report ever, and that it was disgusting.

I can't speak for why anyone else did or didn't say anything.

Also, the search function on this board isn't the best.  There are dozens of examples of it being used on this board.  If you need someone on the right, here's pittstownkiller. https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/631288-hot-or-not-woman-celebrates-her-unique-body-attributes/?do=findComment&comment=14013996

Here's MOP. https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/634594-zoriada-ayda-or-yohany/

You'll notice most of them are in "who's hottest" threads.  I didn't spend much time in those while they were allowed.

37 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

And calling us Nazis. I’ve been banned for far less. 

I have been banned for far far far less.  

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

This thread sucks

This thread is fine.  I almost started a thread about sucky posts where we could discusd terrible posts without hijacking other threads.  

9 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

1. The first example you listed has not a single like nor a single quote that I can find. It's possible that thread was moving fast and no one saw it (I didn't) and it's possible it's a matter of tribalism for the people who did see it.  If I had, I would have said the same kind of thing I did to rock.

2. The second example you listed has two likes and not a single quote I can find.  Same scenario.

Honestly, I don't think most people call this sort of thing out.  I do.  My one report on this board is when I reported someone I generally enjoy speaking with for using the word f** or f*****.  I said that to him at the time, that it was my one report ever, and that it was disgusting.

I can't speak for why anyone else did or didn't say anything.

Also, the search function on this board isn't the best.  There are dozens of examples of it being used on this board.  If you need someone on the right, here's pittstownkiller. https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/631288-hot-or-not-woman-celebrates-her-unique-body-attributes/?do=findComment&comment=14013996

Here's MOP. https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/634594-zoriada-ayda-or-yohany/

You'll notice most of them are in "who's hottest" threads.  I didn't spend much time in those while they were allowed.

Bold - they did, not just you, it was a dogpile, OMG, over rockaction reaction because rational thought be damned in the name of Political Correctness.

pittstownkiller?

I was just initially just talking about the PSF.   All types and kinds in the FFA, that's my original point, one is more accepting to society than the other.   You wouldn't even get a search result for the N word because it's stopped at the language filter.  I rest my case.

27 minutes ago, tonydead said:

I made exactly ONE post regarding this entire issue in this thread.  

Here it is: 

Don't Noonan:  Thanks.  That is offensive?  What are you supposed to call them?

Me: Transgender or Trans

That's it.  Period.  DN asked a question and I answered.  I didn't preach. 

I also didn't participate in Rockaction's original thread.  

Calm down.

5 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Bold - they did, not just you, it was a dogpile, OMG, over rockaction reaction because rational thought be damned in the name of Political Correctness.

pittstownkiller?

I was just initially just talking about the PSF.   All types and kinds in the FFA, that's my original point, one is more accepting to society than the other.   You wouldn't even get a search result for the N word because it's stopped at the language filter.  I rest my case.

That’s certainly true. I was answering the fact that you said no one calls it the T word. 

:own3d::tebow:

Ooof.  :lmao:  

I try not be embarrassed about being a better person than I used to be. It is the reason for my user name. 

• Like 4

I have never used that term, but I have never been in a conversation that I might.  I never realized that it was a slur as I am sure others didn't.  Thanks to this forum I have learned that it is a slur so now I will never use it.  I learn quite a bit here and appreciate when things like this are brought to lite.  Hopefully we can all learn a little from the whole thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rustycolts said:

I have never used that term, but I have never been in a conversation that I might.  I never realized that it was a slur as I am sure others didn't.  Thanks to this forum I have learned that it is a slur so now I will never use it.  I learn quite a bit here and appreciate when things like this are brought to lite.  Hopefully we can all learn a little from the whole thing.

That is the idea.  I certainly thought I’d corrected my own behavior much longer ago than I apparently did. 

6 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

:hifive:  I've learned a lot from this place.

I do have a question for you guys though.  LGBTQ is an acronym used all the time.  Now I am pretty old but that last letter was used as a very derogatory term back in the day.  Why is it not considered a slur?

5 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

I do have a question for you guys though.  LGBTQ is an acronym used all the time.  Now I am pretty old but that last letter was used as a very derogatory term back in the day.  Why is it not considered a slur?

Good question (genuinely, it makes me cringe because it's one of the first words I finally learned not to say.)  That one's apparently been "taken back" as it were.  It's a catch-all term the community uses for people who don't neatly fit into the other boxes but really feel they should be categorized along with that community.

1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

Good question (genuinely, it makes me cringe because it's one of the first words I finally learned not to say.)  That one's apparently been "taken back" as it were.  It's a catch-all term the community uses for people who don't neatly fit into the other boxes but really feel they should be categorized along with that community.

I think the "Q" now stands for "questioning."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

I think the "Q" now stands for "questioning."

Only sometimes.  It's also for "Queer" or "gender Queer."

Edit: should probably move all this to the LGBTQ thread at this point.

Edited by Henry Ford
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

I learned from AB that you can still say cracker.

I got a timeout for using the word as a joke in the AB thread - was given a week off for it.  :shrug: 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, tonydead said:

Example

Horrible

3 hours ago, tonydead said:

:lol:

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I got a timeout for using the word as a joke in the AB thread - was given a week off for it.  :shrug: 

In Florida and Georgia being a cracker is something to be proud of.  Means family has been there for many generations.

3 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

In Florida and Georgia being a cracker is something to be proud of.  Means family has been there for many generations.

In Louisiana we use a term for Acadians/Cajuns that makes everyone else think we’re using a racist slur for black people. It’s more akin to “hillbilly” but we don’t have hills. 

Edited by Henry Ford

5 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

In Louisiana we use a term for Acadians/Cajuns that makes everyone else think we’re using a racist slur for black people. It’s more akin to “hillbilly” but we don’t have hills. 

Coonass is a racial slur now?  Good grief. 

• Like 1

Just now, tonydead said:

Coonass is a racial slur now?  Good grief. 

That’s not what I said.  I said it makes people not from Louisiana think Louisianans are saying a racial slur.  

11 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

That’s not what I said.  I said it makes people not from Louisiana think Louisianans are saying a racial slur.  

Right, how the heck do those people draw that conclusion?

Just now, tonydead said:

Tony normally I agree with you, but I would say it would be pretty easy.

15 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I have a white friend, Dan, that ran a plant in La a few years back. He said most of the employees were black and always called him Mr. Dan or boss. Acted very subservient. He told them many times to just call him Dan but no dice.  He quit after a few months because it was so uncomfortable

1 minute ago, rustycolts said:

Tony normally I agree with you, but I would say it would be pretty easy.

I’m totally lost. Is the southern drawl making it sound like boon or something?  Dead serious. I lived down there for two years and didn’t have anyone I knew draw that conclusion.  

Just now, tonydead said:

I’m totally lost. Is the southern drawl making it sound like boon or something?  Dead serious. I lived down there for two years and didn’t have anyone I knew draw that conclusion.  

Next to the n word coon is probably one of the most offensive racial slurs.  It was used mostly in the South.  So if you hear coon and not the ### part or if your not from Louisiana and not familiar with their slang then it could be misconstrued.

These last few post summarize my point of view on this whole topic. It’s not my job to run around trying to figure out who gets offended by what. If someone I know that is trans and they tell me they don’t like tranny I won’t use it in their presence out of respect. But even the links posted by Henry showed arguments within that group of which terms they like and which they don’t like. Putting all these terms on equal wrong footing is wrong. When people go around on a message board, some of which appear to barely have one foot in reality, telling everybody what is wrong or right is laughable. 

4 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Next to the n word coon is probably one of the most offensive racial slurs.  It was used mostly in the South.  So if you hear coon and not the ### part or if your not from Louisiana and not familiar with their slang then it could be misconstrued.

I would. Never heard that combination of words in my life. 

1 minute ago, tonydead said:

These last few post summarize my point of view on this whole topic. It’s not my job to run around trying to figure out who gets offended by what. If someone I know that is trans and they tell me they don’t like tranny I won’t use it in their presence out of respect. But even the links posted by Henry showed arguments within that group of which terms they like and which they don’t like. Putting all these terms on equal wrong footing is wrong. When people go around on a message board, some of which appear to barely have one foot in reality, telling everybody what is wrong or right is laughable. 

Ooh, so close to making a post without insulting others.  

Edited by Sheriff Bart
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Ok. Must be a piece of history I missed because the google dictionary says it’s short for raccoon and that’s always what I assumed since I first heard it. 

2 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Ooh, so close. 

You’ve got a history of using “tranny” on this forum, so there is that. 

• Like 2

Ok. Must be a piece of history I missed because the google dictionary says it’s short for raccoon and that’s always what I assumed since I first heard it. 

Before I got my Bloodhound I had always owned Coonhounds.  I would sure of felt weird calling them raccoon hounds so you were also right.

Edited by rustycolts

15 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

All the Ralph Northam supporters in here strongly disagree that its offensive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonydead said:

:own3d::tebow:

Ooof.  :lmao:  

:goodposting:

Wow, the hypocrisy. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Because the first half of it is defined as

INFORMAL•OFFENSIVE

a black person.

25 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Wow, the hypocrisy. 

Hypocrisy doesn’t lie where someone changes their behavior because of something they then pass on to others.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Wow, the hypocrisy. 

It's a symptom of the anti-everything rush to use political correctness as a weapon. It causes memory loss.  

13 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Hypocrisy doesn’t lie where someone changes their behavior because of something they then pass on to others.  

No, but it should serve to give pause to the judgemental piling on mentality that is way too common in this forum.  Everyone has different experience, background and values.   When people don't conform to the views of the mob they are attacked and belittled and tossed away.  

• Like 4