Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slapdash

***Official PSF Moderation Thread***

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

@Joe Bryant Hi Joe, I guess I just figured I would call this to your attention in case you don't know. The Trump thread that was active since January 2017 was deleted. We don't know by whom or why. I really seriously doubt it was by the OP, it has to have been by a moderator. Some explanation of what happened and why would be nice and respectful. It's a good community which has worked to follow the rules, even to the point of being relegated to a subforum. 

Also as an fyi I believe it's possible for a thread to be recovered from the deleted files index. It would be nice if you could see if it could be recovered by someone on the IT side since apparently there was zero legitimate basis behind it being deleted.

Thanks and much appreciation - SID.

Thanks for the headsup. I don't know what happened there. I'll ask Keith and see if he can tell what's up. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2018 at 7:12 AM, knowledge dropper said:

This sub forum is bad, but do you really think it may cause cancer?

I thought maybe it was Deadpool’s new sidekick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Hi @Joe Bryantsorry to be a bother but I’m looking for the great Free Speech thread which a lot of thought has been devoted to. This may have been it but I’m not sure.

Any ideas where this might be located? Thanks.

I couldn't locate it either. Thought maybe there was a thread title change but couldn't find it at all. Even searched under "Milo" because he was mentioned throughout the thread, but zip. The thread had a lot of back and forth name calling regarding Milo's and Ann Coulter's speeches, so I am guessing one of the mods nuked it (a fate that befell my first 2020 Presidential Election Thread after the trolls kept calling Elizabeth Warren "Pocahontas")

Edited by squistion
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't find it. Possible it was deleted but the board software doesn't make it easy to search for more details on things like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

I couldn't find it. Possible it was deleted but the board software doesn't make it easy to search for more details on things like this.

:goodposting: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Hi @Joe Bryantsorry to be a bother but I’m looking for the great Free Speech thread which a lot of thought has been devoted to. This may have been it but I’m not sure.

Any ideas where this might be located? Thanks.

I'm not sure SID. I don't know which thread you mean and I haven't deleted anything like that I'm aware of. If @Aaron Rudnicki said he can't find it, it's likely not to be found. As someone said, usually searching for keywords can help. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

I couldn't find it. Possible it was deleted but the board software doesn't make it easy to search for more details on things like this.

Wow that’s a shame. That was a grand old thread.

Fyi to @squistion @rockaction & @TobiasFunke and others who contributed to maybe the best thread for exchanging different viewpoints. Oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

I'm not sure SID. I don't know which thread you mean and I haven't deleted anything like that I'm aware of. If @Aaron Rudnicki said he can't find it, it's likely not to be found. As someone said, usually searching for keywords can help. 

Thanks for the response Joe. I think maybe @Ghost Riderwas the original owner. Just disappointed that’s all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

Started by Ghost Rider on 5/24/2015. Dead link here

That’s it. Maybe Ghost Rider killed it. There’s zero chance a mod did it IMO. It was typically a respectful discussion between different viewpoints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Wow that’s a shame. That was a grand old thread.

Fyi to @squistion @rockaction & @TobiasFunke and others who contributed to maybe the best thread for exchanging different viewpoints. Oh well.

Thanks for the heads up, SID. We put a lot of work into that thread. MT was one of the mods that contributed often to that one, and often with great stuff. I'll look to see if I can find it. That would be a shame. There was a lot of good stuff in there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

That’s it. Maybe Ghost Rider killed it. There’s zero chance a mod did it IMO. It was typically a respectful discussion between different viewpoints.

Not always that respectful as I remember it. A lot of false labeling of those protesting Milo and Coulter in Berkeley as being "alt-left" (which is a fiction, as it doesn't really exist) and blaming the rioting/violence/property damage on Democrats and liberals/progressives, while most of the protestors were peaceful with the problems being caused by about a dozen black clad Antifa members.

I think you are right that probably Ghost Rider killed it. I vaguely remember a popular thread in this forum was nuked by the OP who admitted he had done it and perhaps that was the one (can't say for sure and I don't specifically recall the thread or the OP's reason for the deletion).

Edited by squistion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On that note. I'm not sure it's good for the OP to be able to kill a thread. I'll ask Keith if there's a way to change that with the board software. 

Edited by Joe Bryant
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, squistion said:

Not always that respectful as I remember it. A lot of false labeling of those protesting Milo and Coulter in Berkeley as being "alt-left" (which is a fiction, as it doesn't really exist) and blaming the rioting/violence/property damage on Democrats and liberals/progressives, while most of the protestors were peaceful with the problems being caused by about a dozen black clad Antifa members.

I think you are right that probably Ghost Rider killed it. I vaguely remember a popular thread in this forum was nuked by the OP who admitted he had done it and perhaps that was the one (can't say for sure and I don't specifically recall the thread or the OP's reason for the deletion).

Yep, thanks for the notes, but FYI I always enjoyed your contributions there, Squiz, and others’, so thanks for that. Free speech is probably my favorite subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

On that note. I'm not sure it's good for the OP to be able to kill a thread. I'll ask Keith if there's a way to change that with the board software. 

I am not sure either, it is six of one and a half dozen of the other.

On one hand, if you start a thread and you then realize it was a big mistake for whatever reason (like you had your facts wrong or unintentionally started a flame war) it is nice to have the option to make it go away before you embarrass yourself any further. :bag: And that would eliminate the MODs PLEASE HARD DELETE! thread titles that we had before the most recent board modification/upgrade.

On the other hand, some have used the OP delete option to jerk people around. One poster (who shall not be named) has made it a habit out of starting threads, getting 10-15 pages of really good discussion, then pulling the rug out from under everyone by nuking it. It is very frustrating to spend time composing posts contributing to a thread and then see them gone in an instant for no apparent reason. 

However removing the OP delete option wouldn't entirely solve the problem as the OP can always just simply change the thread title to a completely different subject matter to make it difficult to find in a search, see the ESPY Awards Thread which the thread title was changed by the OP to a discussion of hard-boiled eggs after he became uncomfortable with people talking about Caitlyn Jenner being given the Arthur Ashe Courage Award: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/684127-hard-boiled-eggs-are-tastya-rod-hits-3-hrs-vs-crappy-twins/ 

You might want to get some more input on this before you make a decision either way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, squistion said:

I am not sure either, it is six of one and a half dozen of the other.

On one hand, if you start a thread and you then realize it was a big mistake for whatever reason (like you had your facts wrong or unintentionally started a flame war) it is nice to have the option to make it go away before you embarrass yourself any further. :bag: And that would eliminate the MODs PLEASE HARD DELETE! thread titles that we had before the most recent board modification/upgrade.

 

Just report the thread and ask for deletion.  This HARD DELETE crap was always shtick 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, squistion said:

On one hand, if you start a thread and you then realize it was a big mistake for whatever reason (like you had your facts wrong

 

 

How often does this happen to you?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maurile Tremblay said:

I moved it, retitled it, bumped it, and then noticed that rockaction just started a new one. So now we've got two in case someone spills something on one of them.

Awesome. I think we can go with yours and I'm more than fine with that. I liked the old one, and will enjoy the new one. Peace, MT. There will be no deletions on my watch. 

-RA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Dang. That was a good thread. Someone feel free to start a new one (if it hasn't already been done).

PM @timschochet he seems to know how to start threads. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Guys,

I think Keith has a partial solution. Nothing that helps this situation sadly but for the future, the board software now allows the user to hide, and not delete a thread. Keith is looking on making that change going forward. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

since you guys had the thread starter's name, I was able to track this down in the logs more easily.

 

did you guys finally move all the logs over to logs.blockchain.fbg?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Hey Guys,

I think Keith has a partial solution. Nothing that helps this situation sadly but for the future, the board software now allows the user to hide, and not delete a thread. Keith is looking on making that change going forward. 

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying...but how is that better? The thread won't be completely gone, but we still won't be able to see it, so the practical effect for everyone but the OP is the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, squistion said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying...but how is that better? The thread won't be completely gone, but we still won't be able to see it, so the practical effect for everyone but the OP is the same.

Hidden threads can be restored by moderators. Deleted threads cannot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

FYI Now we can't delete a single post. 

Hmmmm....you are right.   But we can edit. 

Edited by jon_mx
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

FYI Now we can't delete a single post. 

:shrug:

At least you can hide it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

Hidden threads can be restored by moderators. Deleted threads cannot. 

What Aaron said. It's not perfect, but better than what we had. If we'd had this, we could have brought back Ghost Rider's thread.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2018 at 9:35 PM, HellToupee said:
On 5/22/2018 at 9:22 PM, Sheriff Bart said:

FYI Now we can't delete a single post. 

:shrug:

At least you can hide it

Can someone please explain the difference (in practice)? Would a hidden post still make a thread show as one I posted in and show the star?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Can someone please explain the difference (in practice)? Would a hidden post still make a thread show as one I posted in and show the star?

It disappears, it’s the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2018 at 3:00 PM, squistion said:

I am not sure either, it is six of one and a half dozen of the other.

On one hand, if you start a thread and you then realize it was a big mistake for whatever reason (like you had your facts wrong or unintentionally started a flame war) it is nice to have the option to make it go away before you embarrass yourself any further. :bag: And that would eliminate the MODs PLEASE HARD DELETE! thread titles that we had before the most recent board modification/upgrade.

On the other hand, some have used the OP delete option to jerk people around. One poster (who shall not be named) has made it a habit out of starting threads, getting 10-15 pages of really good discussion, then pulling the rug out from under everyone by nuking it. It is very frustrating to spend time composing posts contributing to a thread and then see them gone in an instant for no apparent reason. 

However removing the OP delete option wouldn't entirely solve the problem as the OP can always just simply change the thread title to a completely different subject matter to make it difficult to find in a search, see the ESPY Awards Thread which the thread title was changed by the OP to a discussion of hard-boiled eggs after he became uncomfortable with people talking about Caitlyn Jenner being given the Arthur Ashe Courage Award: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/684127-hard-boiled-eggs-are-tastya-rod-hits-3-hrs-vs-crappy-twins/ 

You might want to get some more input on this before you make a decision either way.

 

Oops, he did it again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slapdash said:

Oops, he did it again

I know. I was just responding to @Maurile Tremblay when the thread disappeared, which I predicted and Maurile was not certain could be done by someone who was not a mod. Surprise! HT strikes again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, squistion said:

I know. I was just responding to @Maurile Tremblay when the thread disappeared, which I predicted and Maurile was not certain could be done by someone who was not a mod. Surprise! HT strikes again!

You prognostications skills are right up there with the late Jimmy The Greek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

You prognostications skills are right up there with the late Jimmy The Greek

My prognostication skills were correct in this instance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, squistion said:

My prognostication skills were correct in this instance.

Read that thread and I spell out what was going to happen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Read that thread and I spell out what was going to happen 

I predicted the thread would disappear, which it did. Can't do better than that. :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, squistion said:

I predicted the thread would disappear, which it did. Can't do better than that. :yes:

:shrug:

 

Well what did you think would happen? Hide =disappear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Well what did you think would happen? Hide =disappear

It occurred between the period where I attempted to post in the hidden thread (which the system said didn't exist) and when I posted in this thread in response to a poster. I was not aware an experiment was being conducted but the end result was the same, as you disappeared the thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.